PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Party nomination

JosephTheLibertarian
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
http://thirdpartywatch.com/2008/03/02/the-georgia-lp-convention/

Wayne Allyn Rot is doing surpringly well, but do you know, he's pro war? The Libertarian Party might actually nominate this guy, I know a lot of people support him just because he gets national tv time and has speaking ability. He said his goal is to "bring the most votes to the party in its entire history." He's running a 16 year campaign for POTUS.

nate895
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
http://thirdpartywatch.com/2008/03/02/the-georgia-lp-convention/

Wayne Allyn Rot is doing surpringly well, but do you know, he's pro war? The Libertarian Party might actually nominate this guy, I know a lot of people support him just because he gets national tv time and has speaking ability. He said his goal is to "bring the most votes to the party in its entire history." He's running a 16 year campaign for POTUS.

I think it is because many of the real LPers are still supporting Ron Paul. It is funny, because the strong candidates seemed to change after the setbacks of the early primaries. The opponents of Wayne Allyn Root are actually now combined greater than his fund raising, and that wasn't the case before hand, and Bob Jackson moved to the top-tier.

Fox McCloud
03-02-2008, 07:09 PM
It'd actually be funny if they just "draft" Ron Paul in the Libertarian primaries.

LP: "Oh Ron, we're sorry, but you're the LP nominee...and we hope you become the Republican nominee as well".

Is that even legal? Could someone run under a Libertarian and Republican ticket as the same time? For the same matter, could someone run under a Democratic and Republican ticket at the same time?

nate895
03-02-2008, 07:12 PM
It'd actually be funny if they just "draft" Ron Paul in the Libertarian primaries.

LP: "Oh Ron, we're sorry, but you're the LP nominee...and we hope you become the Republican nominee as well".

Is that even legal? Could someone run under a Libertarian and Republican ticket as the same time? For the same matter, could someone run under a Democratic and Republican ticket at the same time?

You can, it was done many times in the late 1800s early 1900s (of course w/ the Populists and Democrats), but Ron Paul can deny the nomination if he wanted to.

Gadsden Flag
03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Root is a joke, I won't vote for him if he gets the nomination.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Root is very odd on foreign issues.

"If they don't do what we want, we cut off aid. I like the carrot and stick approach."

And he actually complimented the World Trade Organization! He sounds like he rushed into Libertarianism, he doesn't sound genuine. I wonder how many people will vote for him in thinking we're getting nowhere by voting for more hardline Libertarians, I bet a lot of people will. Oh, there's no doubt that he's Libertarian leaning, but I know he doesn't accept th NAP and in some areas he doesn't sound Libertarian at all. He favors civil unions, but not gay marriage? I don't know this for a fact, but that's what I think I read on him. Why not just oppose the licensing? I bet he doesn't even know of the Libertarian solution. ha

The add insult to injury, guess who is supporting this guy? Eric Dondero & the "Mainstream Libertarians." The same fakes that supported Rudy Giuliani. Just for that he is DONE as a candidate in my book.

Fox McCloud
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Interesting.

Perhaps Ron Paul should have ran under a Democratic and Republican ticket during the primaries :P

nate895
03-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Interesting.

Perhaps Ron Paul should have ran under a Democratic and Republican ticket during the primaries :P

That would be funny.

Caulfield
03-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Ron Paul can't be nominated for the LP unless he has said he'd be willing to accept it. This is per the LP bylaws.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-03-2008, 05:06 AM
what about the sore loser laws?

Caulfield
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I believe there are only 4 (or six) states that have those laws; however, Texas is one of them. Though, a however to the however, it has never been applied to a Presidential candidate, thereby would be open to a challenge.

Fox McCloud
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
That may be an excellent strategy, in the future, to win the Presidency--if you have some beliefs that are liberal AND conservative (mostly Libertarians), one could possibly run under both parties and end up doing very well. One could also play "one sided", and drop out of one party, regardless of how you're doing, right before the primaries--by then, you'd have enough exposure from both sides, that those that liked you would most likely change to the other party, at that point.

The only problem is...what if you ran the nomination on both sides? That'd be strange.

nate895
03-03-2008, 07:03 PM
That may be an excellent strategy, in the future, to win the Presidency--if you have some beliefs that are liberal AND conservative (mostly Libertarians), one could possibly run under both parties and end up doing very well. One could also play "one sided", and drop out of one party, regardless of how you're doing, right before the primaries--by then, you'd have enough exposure from both sides, that those that liked you would most likely change to the other party, at that point.

The only problem is...what if you ran the nomination on both sides? That'd be strange.

The best advantage I can see is that you would eliminate any "spoiler" effect it could have had if there was a Libertarian/Constitution Party candidate on the ballot.

JosephTheLibertarian
03-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Just say things "I'm a man of the people" and "I'm about principle, not party." ;). That would be great. I would LOVE to debate at a Democratic debate for POTUS.

gay marriage? just do away with the licensing, problem solved. No one has ever said that in their debates :) Stop subsidizing marriage in the first place, leave it as a private matter. Now THAT'S...the solution!