PDA

View Full Version : Ayn Rand - Quote from The Fountainhead

corsairtro
03-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I found this passage to be quite relevant as I was reading last night:

"You'll say it doesn't make sense? Of course it doesn't. Thats why it works. Reason can be fought with reason. How are you going to fight the unreasonable? The trouble with you, my dear, and with most people, is that you don't have sufficient respect for the senseless. The senseless is the major factor in our lives. You have no chance if it is your enemy. But if you can make it become your ally--ah, my dear!"

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Ron Paul's message is so reasonable but falls on the ears of the senseless. Business as usual in Washington politicians are making the sensless their ally... and look at what we end up with. A democrat for a republican nominee and someone who can't define what they stand for as the primary example of "Change".

Your thoughts?

(BTW its from Part II, chapter 12).

Feelgood
03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow, thats actually a very good point. I would agree.

bucfish
03-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Yep and do not forget Howard Rourke's Speech it is on youtube. A great way to make people see the evils of Collectivism.

Fields
03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Ayn is great for those who haven't read her. I'd say pick The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged, no need to read both unless you have plenty of time on your hands.

Working Poor
03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Ron Paul needs a senseless message...

corsairtro
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Ron Paul needs a senseless message...

I've thought the same thing, run on a neocon platform then pull a fast one and restore personal liberties!

hyoomen
03-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Really? I've actually considered that he needs to run on a platform similar to that of Obama. "We want this change..." and enumerate a lot of the same goals (health coverage for everybody, money to send their kids to college, better salary for teachers, etc.) and then point out that it can only be achieved through a steadfast dedication to a free market and defense of Liberty.

As Goldwater (or his ghost writer) said:

Here, perhaps, is the best illustration of the failure of the Conservative demonstration.

I know, for I have heard the questions often. Have you no sense of social obligation? the Liberals ask. Have you no concern for people who are out of work? for sick people who lack medical care? for children in overcrowded schools? Are you unmoved by the problems of the aged and disabled? Are you against human welfare?

The answer to all of these questions is, of course, no. But a simple "no" is not enough. I feel certain that Conservatism is through unless Conservatives can demonstrate and communicate the difference between being concerned with these problems and believing that the federal government is the proper agent for their resolution.

Not only has the GOP failed to deliver this message, they have lost knowledge of it entirely. Not only has the r3VOLution failed to deliver this message, it has largely not embraced it. The fight isn't over, though. It never is, while Freedom is at stake.