PDA

View Full Version : Is this platform all right?

nate895
03-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Since I am going to be discussing my possible run with much of my family tonight over dinner, I was just wondering if this would be a good platform to start out with. I'd be running for State Representative in the Washington 18th Legislative District.

Platform:

Regulation: There should be minimal regulations on business and our personal lives, this will help our business climate and make our lives easier. Only laws allowed by Washington’s Constitution should be considered.

Civil Liberties: I will fight to keep all of our civil liberties that we prize as Americans intact and will fight to make them stronger as your representative in the legislature. Whether it is the right to go to which church you please, the right to freely speak your mind, or the right to bear arms, they are all important and need protection, otherwise we risk losing them all.

Welfare/Social Services: I oppose all forms of welfare. This is a place for churches and private charities to intervene, not the public treasury. Upon the adoption of our Constitution a British Historian stated that “A Democracy survives until the voters discover they can vote themselves gifts from the public treasury,” I want to prove him wrong, even though we aren’t technically a Democracy.

Taxes and Spending: This position is very simple: Lower taxes and less spending will help to make a better economy in Washington State.

Abortion: I am 100% pro-life, and will fight to protect the lives of the unborn, even if it is unlikely Washington State will ever pass laws restricting abortion.

Illegal Immigration: As your representative in Olympia, I will fight to make sure that no laws are passed that benefit illegal immigrants, as they have broken the law, and do not deserve aid from the government, Federal or State.

(I forgot this one, but here it is) REAL ID: The REAL ID Act is repugnant to both the Constitution of the State of Washington, and to the Constitution of the United States, I will never vote for a single dime to enforce this law, and I will actively oppose any enforcement of this law.

Link to District Map: http://www.clark.wa.gov/elections/documents/maps/18thleg.pdf

Richie
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I like it for the most part. Here's the reply I posted in your other topic:

Unless you're trying to appeal specifically to conservatives, I suggest making the wording more friendly to both sides. For Example:

1. Immigration. Both sides want to "secure" the border in a sense, but liberals will look at your statement about illegals not deserving government aid and run. I suggest wording it more along these lines:

"I believe in the great American melting pot and welcome all peaceful immigrants who migrate to the states legally. At the same time, I believe that immigrants who come here illegally shouldn't be using the resources and money that belong to taxpayers."

LibertiORDeth
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I would vote for you, however do not think I am in your district.

nate895
03-02-2008, 01:00 AM
One more bump, and I'd appreciate criticism from the no person.

LibertyEagle
03-02-2008, 01:16 AM
"I believe in the great American melting pot and welcome all peaceful immigrants who migrate to the states legally. At the same time, I believe that immigrants who come here illegally shouldn't be using the resources and money that belong to taxpayers."

:eek: I totally disagree. We'd better not welcome any and all, because before you know it, we will be an annex of Mexico, instead of a melting pot. Immigration quotas were established for a reason.

nate895
03-02-2008, 01:20 AM
:eek: I totally disagree. We'd better not welcome any and all, because before you know it, we will be an annex of Mexico, instead of a melting pot. Immigration quotas were established for a reason.

Agree with you there, but that is a job for the US Congress.

LibertyEagle
03-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Ah, but you might want to review what the Oklahoma state legislature passed, that caused the majority of illegal aliens to move out of the state. ;)

Tdcci
03-02-2008, 02:04 AM

Immigration quotas do not work because of illegal immigration. Mexicans retain their mexican culture only when they come here illegally, because they have no sense of an American identity. If they apply legally, take an oath, learn English and pay Taxes they will feel like a part of America. Otherwise, they're just siphoning drug money off to Mexico, to which they will eventually return.

TwiLeXia
03-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I like your platform. About immigration: quotas don't work, and neither does putting up a wall around the borders (no offense to dr. paul) Illegal immigration will continue either way, and immigration itself should be encouraged. A lot of great minds and workers are immigrating every year, and by opening up to immigration (legal) we can get a lot of talent and benefit to the economy. However, I do agree with Dr. Paul on this issue: remove incentives such as social security and medicare and whatnot, and you will have a lot fewer illegal immigrants, who only come here to earn a living, and you'll probably have more entrepreneurial, self-sufficient, capable legal immigrants who want to not just make a living, but rather to make a change.

yongrel
03-02-2008, 11:16 AM
You're running in Olympia? Your platform needs to be tweaked. Not your actual positions, but your emphasis.

Your major points should be civil liberties, small government, and low taxes. "The government should stay out of our lives and out of our wallets!" Drive that point home, and you'll be a very strong candidate.

I don't know about Olympia so much, but I'm a Seattle native, and you'll get major points for a strong, definitive stance on civil liberties up there.

Maybe your district is different, but I would suggest deemphasizing abortion. Just say, "I am against the practice of abortion, as I find it a destructive practice that destroys tremendous potential in our society," and leave it at that. As far as my knowledge goes, you're not going to win any brownie points by picketing abortion clinics, so best to just state your position briefly. The anti-abortion folks will know where you stand, and the pro-choice people won't make a big issue out of it.

What might also help you is to talk up a strong national defense. With Boeing in the area, especially since they just lost that huge contract to Airbus, it might make sense for you to talk about how you would push for a stronger National Guard. I seem to remember something about the State Congress having authority over the Guard, so it might be worth a shot.

Another potential plank of your platform could be the environment. If you can brand yourself as the pro-environment candidate, you could grab a ton of independents. Talk about how a respect for private property rights is the single greatest way to combat global warming. Ron Paul did a very good job of explaining this position at the Google interview some months back. Ya might check it out if you're interested.

Above all, you need to look at your wording. Recognize, if you don't already, that you won't be talking to RP supporters who already agree with you. our wording needs to be smoothed out and polished, so as to be the most appealing. Bees with honey, ya know?

That's all I've got of the top of my head.

Could you help us out by telling us more about your district?

yongrel
03-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Also, how difficult is it going to be for you to unseat this guy:http://www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/orcutt/biography.htm

??

nate895
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
You're running in Olympia? Your platform needs to be tweaked. Not your actual positions, but your emphasis.

Your major points should be civil liberties, small government, and low taxes. "The government should stay out of our lives and out of our wallets!" Drive that point home, and you'll be a very strong candidate.

I don't know about Olympia so much, but I'm a Seattle native, and you'll get major points for a strong, definitive stance on civil liberties up there.

Maybe your district is different, but I would suggest deemphasizing abortion. Just say, "I am against the practice of abortion, as I find it a destructive practice that destroys tremendous potential in our society," and leave it at that. As far as my knowledge goes, you're not going to win any brownie points by picketing abortion clinics, so best to just state your position briefly. The anti-abortion folks will know where you stand, and the pro-choice people won't make a big issue out of it.

What might also help you is to talk up a strong national defense. With Boeing in the area, especially since they just lost that huge contract to Airbus, it might make sense for you to talk about how you would push for a stronger National Guard. I seem to remember something about the State Congress having authority over the Guard, so it might be worth a shot.

Another potential plank of your platform could be the environment. If you can brand yourself as the pro-environment candidate, you could grab a ton of independents. Talk about how a respect for private property rights is the single greatest way to combat global warming. Ron Paul did a very good job of explaining this position at the Google interview some months back. Ya might check it out if you're interested.

Above all, you need to look at your wording. Recognize, if you don't already, that you won't be talking to RP supporters who already agree with you. our wording needs to be smoothed out and polished, so as to be the most appealing. Bees with honey, ya know?

That's all I've got of the top of my head.

Could you help us out by telling us more about your district?

Here is a little bit about my district:

Rural
Mountainous
Just to the North of Vancouver, WA
Conservative (went R by 60-40 last go around)
North end is poor
South end is pretty rich (and most population)

nate895
03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Also, how difficult is it going to be for you to unseat this guy:http://www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/orcutt/biography.htm

??

I'm going after the other representative, she has only been there a few months (the last one resigned and trial is pending). I'll be able to get more info on her when she actually does something.

yongrel
03-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Here is a little bit about my district:

Rural
Mountainous
Just to the North of Vancouver, WA
Conservative (went R by 60-40 last go around)
North end is poor
South end is pretty rich (and most population)

When you say conservative, what do you mean? Is it anything like the Eastern Washington gun-totin', country music conservatism? Or is it more of a Christian social conservatism?

I made my above recomendations thinking that the 18th was in a different geographic location, so it's probably best to disregard them.

nate895
03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
When you say conservative, what do you mean? Is it anything like the Eastern Washington gun-totin', country music conservatism? Or is it more of a Christian social conservatism?

I made my above recomendations thinking that the 18th was in a different geographic location, so it's probably best to disregard them.

A bit of all of those, it depends on which part of the district, Northern is gun-totin' Eastern Washington kind of stuff, the extreme Southwest is Country Club, McCain-type Republican, and the rest is country music, social conservtive brand.

yongrel
03-02-2008, 12:16 PM
A bit of all of those, it depends on which part of the district, Northern is gun-totin' Eastern Washington kind of stuff, the extreme Southwest is Country Club, McCain-type Republican, and the rest is country music, social conservtive brand.

Well, in that case, it sounds like you'd find a lot of success going pro-business, pro-gun. Is abortion at all a polarizing issue in your district? Or is it pretty heavily pro-life, making it a non-issue? If you go with the "I will keep the government out of your lives and out of your wallet," approach, you could be successful.

And if the North of your district is as poor as you say, tone down the anti-welfare rhetoric. Instead of saying "welfare is bad, and I will work to end it," talk about how welfare actually hurts the poor. Emphasize how you would make it easier for the poor to support their families by lowering their taxes, and by making it affordable for businesses to hire them. Tis brings up another question about the poor on the North side: are they working class, but employed mostly, or are they impoverished and unemployed?

Banana
03-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe if you went to your local auditor's office, they may have old voters' pamphlet with past officials who ran, and read their official statements, compare to who won and who lost to see what wordings clicks with your local population and get a feeling for what issue is most important to them. Of course, that doesn't do it for topical issues which may be more fresh on voters' mind and I'd imagine that reading media would have give that information.

nate895
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, in that case, it sounds like you'd find a lot of success going pro-business, pro-gun. Is abortion at all a polarizing issue in your district? Or is it pretty heavily pro-life, making it a non-issue? If you go with the "I will keep the government out of your lives and out of your wallet," approach, you could be successful.

And if the North of your district is as poor as you say, tone down the anti-welfare rhetoric. Instead of saying "welfare is bad, and I will work to end it," talk about how welfare actually hurts the poor. Emphasize how you would make it easier for the poor to support their families by lowering their taxes, and by making it affordable for businesses to hire them. Tis brings up another question about the poor on the North side: are they working class, but employed mostly, or are they impoverished and unemployed?

The poor on the North end fit into two categories: meth-addicts who don't know how to vote anyway, or farmers or farm workers.

Abortion: Most of the district it is a non-issue, but there are two little "pockets" that go south of where the rest of the district is (one I have referred to as the extreme southwest, the other is in the southeast) that it might be a small issue in the general election.

A note on the Southwest: The advantage a McCain-type Republican has is nullified by the fact I know a good portion of the voters. This is the area that most of the Democrats in the area come from

nate895
03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Maybe if you went to your local auditor's office, they may have old voters' pamphlet with past officials who ran, and read their official statements, compare to who won and who lost to see what wordings clicks with your local population and get a feeling for what issue is most important to them. Of course, that doesn't do it for topical issues which may be more fresh on voters' mind and I'd imagine that reading media would have give that information.

I have a ton of those in home, I'm sure I can dig the ones from the past three elections up.

nate895
03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Bump for map: http://www.clark.wa.gov/elections/documents/maps/18thleg.pdf

abe447
03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1245475&postcount=60

I don't think they'll let 15 year olds run for office, nate. You said in this post that you were 15 years old so that's why I'm wondering what the hell you're doing. Does Washington State not have an age limit on who can run for state representative? Unless of course you were lying in the above post, in which case I think you'll make a great politician.

The platform is sound. Was this a district Ron Paul did well in this year's caucus? His performance can help you set up your platform. If he didn't do particularly well there, you might wanna take some more moderate positions. I know you won't, but the key is getting into office. If the district is strongly opposed to a couple of your positions, your opponent will capitalize on that and likely defeat you as it's tough to beat an incumbent.

nate895
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1245475&postcount=60

I don't think they'll let 15 year olds run for office, nate. You said in this post that you were 15 years old so that's why I'm wondering what the hell you're doing. Does Washington State not have an age limit on who can run for state representative? Unless of course you were lying in the above post, in which case I think you'll make a great politician.

The platform is sound. Was this a district Ron Paul did well in this year? His performance can help you set up your platform. If he didn't do particularly well there, you might wanna take some more moderate positions. I know you won't, but the key is getting into office. If the district is strongly opposed to a couple of your positions, your opponent will capitalize on that and likely defeat you as it's tough to beat an incumbent.

I am running in 2010, when I will be qualified, I think you should read my signature.

Oh, and Ron Paul won Clark County, most of the district's population, and, well, I have no clue about Cowlitz county, they only had 4,000 votes in my district anyway.

nate895
03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
BTW, I want criticism from the no votes.

nate895
03-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Bump, just want some more input.

yongrel
03-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! 15?!

Gotta love the ambition, but man... that's too young. In 2010, you'll be 18ish? I have a seriously difficult time believing that you'll be able to challenge for an open seat, much less unseat an incumbent, in the State legislature at 18. Unless you plan on graduating from college somewhere between now and then, it ain't happening.

On a semi-related note: University of Washington has a top-notch political science program. Check it out.

PauliticsPolitics
03-03-2008, 01:47 AM
i think you can win as an 18 yr old. you don't need a college degree to become a politician. just be ready to defend against that charge. A state rep is a part time job, i think one can manage.

03-03-2008, 06:41 AM
That is a conservative, Old Right platform.

Mordan
03-03-2008, 07:30 AM
18 years old is ok... if you are popular and charismatic

nate895
03-03-2008, 08:59 AM
i think you can win as an 18 yr old. you don't need a college degree to become a politician. just be ready to defend against that charge. A state rep is a part time job, i think one can manage.

From what I've studied about the job, I believe I will be able to go to college at the same time. The job would help pay for tuition.

Banana
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Just as FYI- my hometown's mayor was fresh out of high school when he got elected. He's still the mayor. (ten years so far, I believe).

So while rare, this isn't unprecedented.