PDA

View Full Version : (For my book) What drives you?

JanetR
03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey, everyone...

My manuscript on the RP Revolution is complete. BUT I'm not satisfied with it. I don't believe that I've adequately captured the motivation of the grassroots. I know what inspires ME, and I can't generalize that to such a diverse group of people as all of you.

So, if you'll lend me a bit more assistance (and thanks to those who already have), would you mind sharing in a paragraph or two what has compelled you to put so much of your time and money on the line for this campaign?

For the benefit of the forum, you can post it here on this thread, but if you're willing to have it used in my book, "Against All Odds," please also p.m. it to me along with your name, city and state (which will be included in any quotes I include in the manuscript).

Thanks in advance.
Janet

silverhandorder
03-01-2008, 05:16 PM
This is my first year getting involved in politics I'm 18. I herd about Ron Paul on a gaming forum. After that point on I gave everyone a fair shake at trying to convert me. Paul just seems like such a good honest man, so rational, I can not by my life vote for anybody else. When I learned he is making this into a movement I started to give my all to help him.

mmink15
03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I keep my resolve for the next generation's sake when I can't suppress my own selfish doubt. I believe that our children's chance do be whatever or whoever they want to be is what this revolution is all about. I just want them to be able to live their own lives without fear of government running and/or ruining their lives.

Freedom

Nate SY
03-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I see he is an honest man who wants to better our country, and his views are nearly the same as mine. Bottom line is I support him because I know he actually wants me to have a good and free future, instead of one controlled by the government. I support him because he's supported me without knowing me.

Edit - Fixed =D

JanetR
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Mmink,

I know what you mean. I don't have children, but I look at my nieces and nephews, and think, "What are we leaving to them?"

We can do better than massive debt and shrunken liberty.

Thanks to those who have responded.
-Janet

Paulitical Correctness
03-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I am, by nature, a pessimist. I look at the picture as a whole and it's entirely too big for me to digest. Even when tackling small projects I foresee the ending - the finished product. I fail to seperate the components and I lack the cognition to begin. Everything in my perception is in a much grander scheme of things. I feel insignificant to this enormous equation and so more often than not I don't even bother to care. I am, to put it simply, apathetic.

Enter Ron Paul. Politics had never been something that concerned me, in fact I had despised them prior to discovering this "R[evol]ution". After a debate, however, I quickly turned my apathy into passion as his message resonated with me in a profound way. His comforting words made me feel significant to the "big picture". He allowed me to realize that I can be a part of something big despite being small. He taught me that everything, no matter how large, is always made up of smaller, less significant pieces. It is these individuals that make up this movement. Ron Paul gave me a precious gift. He gave me something that never really existed for me prior to my knowledge of him. Ron Paul gave me the gift of hope. Together, with this hope, we can bring forth the changes that we seek. We are not insignificant, and our voices will be heard.

Kind of lengthy, sorry. :eek:

yongrel
03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
How is your manuscript complete when the revolution is not?

amy31416
03-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know what drives me, but I know that I drive a VW GTi (for now).

hopeforamerica
03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
How is your manuscript complete when the revolution is not?

LOL! Awesome point.

JanetR
03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Yongrel,

The Revolution may never be complete. Must I wait for it to end?

Ron Paul's grassroots supporters have already made history, and their (your) efforts are worthy of my efforts to describe them for posterity. The manuscript captures a finite period of time in which remarkable things have been accomplished, and it also looks to a future in which the revolution may continue to make its mark.

All the best,
Janet

yongrel
03-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Yongrel,

The Revolution may never be complete. Must I wait for it to end?

Ron Paul's grassroots supporters have already made history, and their (your) efforts are worthy of my efforts to describe them for posterity. The manuscript captures a finite period of time in which remarkable things have been accomplished, and it also looks to a future in which the revolution may continue to make its mark.

All the best,
Janet

Groovy. I look forward to reading it.

IChooseLiberty
03-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey, everyone...

My manuscript on the RP Revolution is complete. BUT I'm not satisfied with it. I don't believe that I've adequately captured the motivation of the grassroots. I know what inspires ME, and I can't generalize that to such a diverse group of people as all of you.

So, if you'll lend me a bit more assistance (and thanks to those who already have), would you mind sharing in a paragraph or two what has compelled you to put so much of your time and money on the line for this campaign?

For the benefit of the forum, you can post it here on this thread, but if you're willing to have it used in my book, "Against All Odds," please also p.m. it to me along with your name, city and state (which will be included in any quotes I include in the manuscript).

Thanks in advance.
Janet

I think what drives me is the realization that America is not the country I was taught to appreciate in school. Even moreso, what drives me are the universal moral truths espoused in US constitution by this country's founders that are being molested by a small group of intelligent individuals that care only for maintaining their profits and power (read: control) at the cost of the majority. I am a good person, although not perfect, without doubt and I feel like we are fighting the timeless battle of good versus evil. Win or lose, I must continue to fight for what is right and, while I realize that which is right is usually relative, I feel the beliefs we hold to be right are universal as our wise founders also did.

jkm1864
03-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I want to live my small pathetic life and to be left alone. I don't want people taking my money. I do not want camera's and spy's reading my email. I want to be left ALONE .. I want to enjoy all of my labors and I want to suffer the consequences for all of my fuck ups. I want everyone else to be treated equally meaning if You are a fuck off You starve. I guess I am selfish and I do not fit in the group mentality I guess I need to quit my job and get one at walmart and bitch about being poor.

JanetR
03-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Even moreso, what drives me are the universal moral truths espoused in US constitution by this country's founders that are being molested by a small group of intelligent individuals that care only for maintaining their profits and power (read: control) at the cost of the majority. .

Excellent point.
Thanks.

wowabunga
03-02-2008, 01:07 AM
I drive a 1965 Rambler Classic 660 station wagon I paid $100 for about 10 years ago. Next I bought a very nice vintage 1962 Shasta teardrop camper to make one heck of a statement going down the road together.

Just a few days after I bought my antique canned ham trailer... the local code enforcement folks gave me a pink slip saying I could not keep my camper on my own land due to some "lovely community covenants" quietly written into the law of the land. I was oh so bummed. Naturally I put up a huge for-sale sign in my front yard. The next day the local code enforcement folks gave me a pink slip saying my homemade "house for-sale sign" was too large. Thankfully I soon had a buyer and am now free of the confines of that quaint "land of petty rules".

Today I see the "rule makers" are busier than ever... this time they are in Washington DC and beyond. Same old same old.... been this way since the dawn of time. What drives you.... freedom ?