PDA

View Full Version : My Mom just got called by Ron Paul!

Bradley in DC
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm on the phone with my Mom now. She just called to tell me that Ron Paul had just called her (an automated call). Actually, it wasn't Dr. Paul but someone on behalf of him. She was very happy to get the call. She's got them from Hillary (herself), Obama, McCain but not Huckabee--and couple of calls from each that called.

At the end of the call, she had the option to push "2" to speak to a live person, so she did. She thought it was great to have that option and doesn't remember any of the other automated calls giving that option (but, she did say, she always just hangs up on them). Unfortunately the guy to whom she was connected, she said, could not have been less enthusiastic: no emotion, to optimism, just "thanks for supporting Ron Paul can we count on your vote?" Mom: "Yes, and my husband's and son's and...." then she asked what else is she supposed to do and if Dr. Paul were still campaigning, etc. He told her to go to the Ron Paul website and vote for other Ron Paul-type Republicans. Distressingly, my Mom (who was very excited about the call) said the guy still showed no emotion or enthusiasm or anything and found it really odd.

On another note, a friend of my Mom's is working the polls and voted absentee for Ron Paul already. She's telling everyone else because "the other guy is just crazy." Ohio's primary is Tuesday so people are talking about it.

Also, the big news in Cincinnati is that McCain has alienated local radio personality Bill Cunningham who introduced him at a local event and made fun of Obama (as he does daily on his radio show). Reportedly, McCain totally lost his temper and took Cunningham to task publicly (after he left). Now Cunningham had changed to Hilary before supporting Obama because he's afraid McCain could beat Hilary!

Oh, and locally here in DC this week we had a get together for the delegate candidates for all of the Republicans (sort of a support group meeting since there are so few of us!). In addition to myself and B. K. (she and I were the principal ones putting our slate together), Berin and Adrian were there and Dani whom I had not met. Mostly I just talked with the other RP people, made nice with Paul, Bob and Tony (local party leaders and host) and also the Huckabee guy I'd talked with at the press conference for all the candidates when we were representing our respective campaigns. One of the other people there I remember seeing but don't really know saw me and asked, "Weren't you a Ron Paul supporter?" I answered, "I AM a Ron Paul supporter!"

slacker921
03-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Cunningham was on CNN yesterday (I think it was..) railing against McCain for dissing the conservative talk radio hosts. There were a couple of other talk radio folks on there saying they were also going on the offensive against McCain.

The sad thing is.. even with all of the scandals and the conservative talk radio people smearing McCain.. people are still telling the pollsters that they're voting for McCain. It's bizarre.

Jodi's mom
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Bradley, Call your mom and tell her to call Robert Morrow in Texas if she wants to help Ron Paul for the next 3 days. Robert has names of 1000s of undecided, disenfranchised voters who don't even know that they have another choice and needs volunteers to make the phone calls and persuade them to vote for Ron Paul OR Mike Huckabee as the Huckabee camp has joined with the Ron Paul camp to defeat McCain in Texas!

It is critical that these phone calls are made in the next 3 days as Tuesday is their primary!

Tell your mom and everyone you know to call Robert Morrow (512-306-1510) and cell (512-496-1293) anytime up until 12PM at night! Or email him at morrow321@fastmail.fm

Here's Robert's personal message:

Please post my name and phone number contact everywhere. Folks can call me until 12 midnight. We need as many out of state phone callers for Ron Paul into Austin and Travis County as we can get. I will email folks phone numbers to call and a script.

Have a great day!

Robert Morrow

kmj.ronpaul
03-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi, Bradley,

As an organizer of the Call4Paul effort in Ohio, I can assure you that *most* of our volunteers are very enthsiastic. Please give your mom my apologies that she didn't have a good experience talking to that volunteer. Thanks! Kathy

Bradley in DC
03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi, Bradley,

As an organizer of the Call4Paul effort in Ohio, I can assure you that *most* of our volunteers are very enthsiastic. Please give your mom my apologies that she didn't have a good experience talking to that volunteer. Thanks! Kathy

Hi Kathy, I know a lot of the local activists and have emailed with lots of others and was really surprised. You know how friendly we Ohioans are--best we could figure is that the guy wasn't from Ohio!

Are the Call4Paul ones automated?

kmj.ronpaul
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
>> best we could figure is that the guy wasn't from Ohio!
That's a distinct possibility -- we have people from many states serving as volunteers for the Ohio calls.

>> Are the Call4Paul ones automated?
The Call4Paul program is considered a hybrid -- the calls are made automatically by computer, the person who answers hears an automated message, and has the option to press "1" to speak with a live volunteer. This way, we can reach a lot of people very cheaply (2 cents per connected call), but we can also provide human interaction for people who want more information.

Hayek's Heroes
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Bradley,

Haven't received any Paul messages here but have from everybody else, 3-4/day easily. I keep choosing Paul as my choice on the McCain robocalls. You might be interested in knowing that in my area of D2 I don't see any Schmidt signs, only Brinkman. This is with Schmidt having all the county endorsements. If you know anybody on Brinkman's campaign, you might want to tell them to bring the pros in. The mailers have been pretty pathetic. It might pass for the primary, but they'll need to step up their game and get on topic if they make it past Tuesday.

Eponym_mi
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
At the end of the call, she had the option to push "2" to speak to a live person, so she did. She thought it was great to have that option and doesn't remember any of the other automated calls giving that option (but, she did say, she always just hangs up on them). Unfortunately the guy to whom she was connected, she said, could not have been less enthusiastic: no emotion, to optimism, just "thanks for supporting Ron Paul can we count on your vote?"

I would imagine that the "live person" is a volunteer, low paid, and/or gets flack all day from irate telephone subscribers that don't want phone calls from campaigns. But kudos to RP for providing an option that others do not, even if it serves little purpose other than to remove people from the list. Romney's campaign called me at least 5 times even after I asked them to stop!

angelatc
03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Also, the big news in Cincinnati is that McCain has alienated local radio personality Bill Cunningham who introduced him at a local event and made fun of Obama (as he does daily on his radio show). Reportedly, McCain totally lost his temper and took Cunningham to task publicly (after he left). Now Cunningham had changed to Hilary before supporting Obama because he's afraid McCain could beat Hilary!

That's been in the national news. Apparently Cunningham used Obama's middle name, and McCain crabbed about it. Here's some YouTube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3uQp3vPFQ (The whole McCain intro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaOYtxd-dXE (The short version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3W1h3rW9cY (McCain apologizes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCC-fbyr34 (Cunningham endorses HRC)