PDA

View Full Version : just got back from county convention in N.C.

nc4rp
03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Im now a delegate to the North Carolina District/State conventions! We had 198 delegate slots from our County and only had 82 people show up to be a delegate thus we all became delegates to the District and State conventions.

My precinct had 4 delegate and 4 alternat slots. Only 3 people showed up. 2 are RP delegates, third guy probably was for Mcain, but I didnt ask. He told me in candor that they are upset some libertarians were trying to "take over" the republican party, but i think they have changed that approach to one of more respect for the GoP that were here before them.

Out of the 82 delegates that were certified, i can undoubtedly say that 8 are ffor Ron Paul, others may have voted but i didnt know any others definitely for Paul.

bottom line - was a great experience. There was a couple people that were throwing kinks in a resolution to prevent Nafta/NAU but it only got tabled until next convention, but i wish i remembered that you can call "some word" and immediately force a vote instead of 'tabling' the resolution until the next convention. The resolution would have passed i bet if it had been "forced " to be voted on then and there. Alas i am new and didnt remember i could play that card.

all i can say is that Ron Paul is still in the race, and the 2nd round of voting in the National Convention should be a "jolting wave" of support torwards Congressman Paul.

3rd - 4th round vote at national convention could seal the deal for the surprise upset (surprise victory).

Keep up hope RP supporters! it aint over till the whistle blows!

hurdles:
1. had 2 alarms set, I was on time to the convention - had plenty of time to get there, was 30 minutes early. (7:30 am Saturday morning)
2. had maps to the location printed out - double checked convention location
3. had registration card/ID
4. had money (donated $5 to GoP there for the site)
5. passed 4 cops on the way but was driving speed limit because i left early to get to the convention and wasnt speeding or anything = no delays.

nate895
03-01-2008, 12:24 PM
If you guys can get 2/3 of the vote at the State Convention, you can change the rules saying they don't even have to vote for McCain or Huckabee on the first round.

nc4rp
03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
good idea. The Nafta/NAU resolution was by a Paul supporter, it was about to pass until an old GoP guy motioned to table it.

This is where i should have said the motion to force a vote immediatly, then i bet it would have passed. - ill be a little more ready for that trick next time.

I wish I would have had recorded a couple of the Paul supporters, when they speak the words come out powerfully.

molly_pitcher
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM
bumped for coolness

CurtisLow
03-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Great Job nc4rp! *Salute*

Bradley in DC
03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
If you guys can get 2/3 of the vote at the State Convention, you can change the rules saying they don't even have to vote for McCain or Huckabee on the first round.

Nate, I'm not there and don't know those rules, but out of curiosity why would we want to change the rules if we get 2/3 of the vote? Is the rule binding the delegates a state convention rule?

At any rate, great job to all of the RP supporters who showed up to get delegates. Why were there so few people? Does anyone know what efforts were made to get people out to vote?

nate895
03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Nate, I'm not there and don't know those rules, but out of curiosity why would we want to change the rules if we get 2/3 of the vote? Is the rule binding the delegates a state convention rule?

At any rate, great job to all of the RP supporters who showed up to get delegates. Why were there so few people? Does anyone know what efforts were made to get people out to vote?

I can't believe I am answering a question for Bradley.

You can use Robert's Rules of Order in most state parties, and one rule is that a resolution to suspend a rule or to change a rule take a 2/3 majority, and I know that they have suspended rules in the past at some convention in the GOP so I was figuring that we could use this rule to amend or suspend the rules binding delegates to vote for the candidate that won the primary.

Bradley in DC
03-01-2008, 02:12 PM
I can't believe I am answering a question for Bradley.

You can use Robert's Rules of Order in most state parties, and one rule is that a resolution to suspend a rule or to change a rule take a 2/3 majority, and I know that they have suspended rules in the past at some convention in the GOP so I was figuring that we could use this rule to amend or suspend the rules binding delegates to vote for the candidate that won the primary.

HA! There's LOTS I don't know--that's why I ask lots of questions.

Yeah, I get the Robert's part, hence the question of who binds the national convention delegates. In some states it's statutory so the legislatures set the rule (and the delegates can't undo it--even at the national convention no matter what the official campaign says).

nate895
03-01-2008, 02:15 PM
HA! There's LOTS I don't know--that's why I ask lots of questions.

Yeah, I get the Robert's part, hence the question of who binds the national convention delegates. In some states it's statutory so the legislatures set the rule (and the delegates can't undo it--even at the national convention no matter what the official campaign says).

The state legislatures cannot do that, since the parties are private organization, they get to choose how they conduct business.

Highland
03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Which county are you in? We are in Macon.

ValidusCustodiae
03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
The term you were looking for in parliamentary procedure would be a "call to question" on the matter of NAU or whatnot.

liberteebell
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Im now a delegate to the North Carolina District/State conventions! We had 198 delegate slots from our County and only had 82 people show up to be a delegate thus we all became delegates to the District and State conventions.

My precinct had 4 delegate and 4 alternat slots. Only 3 people showed up. 2 are RP delegates, third guy probably was for Mcain, but I didnt ask. He told me in candor that they are upset some libertarians were trying to "take over" the republican party, but i think they have changed that approach to one of more respect for the GoP that were here before them.

Out of the 82 delegates that were certified, i can undoubtedly say that 8 are ffor Ron Paul, others may have voted but i didnt know any others definitely for Paul.

bottom line - was a great experience. There was a couple people that were throwing kinks in a resolution to prevent Nafta/NAU but it only got tabled until next convention, but i wish i remembered that you can call "some word" and immediately force a vote instead of 'tabling' the resolution until the next convention. The resolution would have passed i bet if it had been "forced " to be voted on then and there. Alas i am new and didnt remember i could play that card.

all i can say is that Ron Paul is still in the race, and the 2nd round of voting in the National Convention should be a "jolting wave" of support torwards Congressman Paul.

3rd - 4th round vote at national convention could seal the deal for the surprise upset (surprise victory).

Keep up hope RP supporters! it aint over till the whistle blows!

hurdles:
1. had 2 alarms set, I was on time to the convention - had plenty of time to get there, was 30 minutes early. (7:30 am Saturday morning)
2. had maps to the location printed out - double checked convention location
3. had registration card/ID
4. had money (donated $5 to GoP there for the site)
5. passed 4 cops on the way but was driving speed limit because i left early to get to the convention and wasnt speeding or anything = no delays.

Good job!! :D:cool::D

Banana
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
The state legislatures cannot do that, since the parties are private organization, they get to choose how they conduct business.

Actually, if you go to Deepthroat's thread, a poster put up a citation to Georgia's law where the delegates are indeed bound by law (not party rule).

Also, I've cautioned before that RRO isn't be-all, end-all of the rules; it is common for party rules, by-laws or whatever they may call those documents to take precedence over RRO and I doubt they actually would leave up to RRO to define the suspension of rules (perhaps even not allowing it at all).

Better advice would be to tell them to read their own state party rules and all accompanying documents *AND* RRO and respect the precedence. We don't want to look like a jackass when we try to make a motion to suspend the rules only to be told that Party Rule #X doesn't allow it at all.

hawks4ronpaul
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
RRO is like the International Building Code; people use them as a ready starting point but often add exceptions or modifications.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

LEK
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Thank you !!!

Akus
03-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I hope it's the same way in other 49 states:o

nate895
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Actually, if you go to Deepthroat's thread, a poster put up a citation to Georgia's law where the delegates are indeed bound by law (not party rule).

Also, I've cautioned before that RRO isn't be-all, end-all of the rules; it is common for party rules, by-laws or whatever they may call those documents to take precedence over RRO and I doubt they actually would leave up to RRO to define the suspension of rules (perhaps even not allowing it at all).

Better advice would be to tell them to read their own state party rules and all accompanying documents *AND* RRO and respect the precedence. We don't want to look like a jackass when we try to make a motion to suspend the rules only to be told that Party Rule #X doesn't allow it at all.

That Georgia Law could be challenged. The reason I suggested the RRO is that the Suspension of the Rules has been used before, I'm not sure when, but I know there is precedent.

Banana
03-01-2008, 08:58 PM
That Georgia Law could be challenged. The reason I suggested the RRO is that the Suspension of the Rules has been used before, I'm not sure when, but I know there is precedent.

Precedent of RRO superseding by-laws, even when by-laws specifically says to defer to by-laws first before RRO?

AlbemarleNC0003
03-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Had ours in Stanly. Got the position of precinct vp. Which makes me a delegate because of the low turnout. They all think McCain has won. That was the only talk of Presidential candidates. They're worried about the locals. Had 9 or more candidates for county council/school board and one Governor candidate show up to talk. Everyone was happy to see young faces. A lot of the old timers aren't coming out.

bcreps85
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Great job, keep this up. This is the key, get enough to state conventions so that we can change the rules on them.

Monotaur
03-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know of an online source for Robert's Rules of Order? I see the website (www.robertsrules.com), but didn't see anywhere to get a PDF (or similiar) of the book (or is it even available online?).

Thanks!

tstorey
03-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Kick butt.

You are setting the example.

nate895
03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Precedent of RRO superseding by-laws, even when by-laws specifically says to defer to by-laws first before RRO?

In every set of rules, there is almost always a way to change them, usually by the same body that makes them.

nate895
03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Does anyone know of an online source for Robert's Rules of Order? I see the website (www.robertsrules.com), but didn't see anywhere to get a PDF (or similiar) of the book (or is it even available online?).

Thanks!

Look up on Google books, but that edition is from 1915

Feelgood
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Great job Nate, now this is a SWEET thread. :) We need more stuff like this.

nc4rp
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
to answer the question, this was in Buncombe county

i doubt we will have 2/3 at the state convention.

thanks for the tip about "call to question"

nate895
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
to answer the question, this was in Buncombe county

i doubt we will have 2/3 at the state convention.

thanks for the tip about "call to question"

If McCain gets a lot of delegates in the primary, ally with the Huckabee to take him down if you have to.

luke-gr
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, nothing like Buncombe County, but Watauga County didnt have our 68(?) allowable delegates either. We have 33 total, of which I know 14 are die hard Ron Paul supporters.

We had a resolution brought up about NAFTA by one of our RP supporters the week before at the pre-convention meeting. Several basically said they would table it if it were brought up at the convention so it was basically put on the backburner.

Onward..............

Im curious how voting is done at the District level since there will be (I believe) some paring down of the numbers heading toward State. We need to know who other RP delegates are. How do we know?

slamhead
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
We need to come up with a secret RP handshake or sign to identify yourself to others as an RP supporter...;P

miketoles
03-05-2008, 03:44 PM
In my county assembly (CO), we had stickers that we handed out, certain colors identified all the RP supporters, the other color stickers we just handed out at the door. We also all met before the assembly (all RP supporters) to get a list of names of all the RP delegates to vote for. This was crucial, as we also ordered them depending on how far they would go, State, National etc... So when it came time to vote for delegates, you just went down the list. We elected 7 RP delegates out of 10 total in my district.