PDA

View Full Version : Appalachia: The State of Franklin

molly_pitcher
03-01-2008, 11:19 AM
My family comes from the Appalachian region. While talking to my mother, she drew my attention to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

Apparently my ancestors had an argument over this issue and my g-grandfather didn't speak to my g-uncle for the remainder of their days. I find it sad that such a state does not exist. I must admit, I find that those from Appalachia find more themselves akin to each other rather than to their statesmen. I hope the state of Franklin today would rally around Paul.

nate895
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
My family comes from the Appalachian region. While talking to my mother, she drew my attention to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Franklin

Apparently my ancestors had an argument over this issue and my g-grandfather didn't speak to my g-uncle for the remainder of their days. I find it sad that such a state does not exist. I must admit, I find that those from Appalachia find more themselves akin to each other rather than to their statesmen. I hope the state of Franklin today would rally around Paul.

My family were some of the original settlers of that area, they moved on to West Tennessee shortly after statehood, however.

molly_pitcher
03-01-2008, 01:43 PM
My family were some of the original settlers of that area, they moved on to West Tennessee shortly after statehood, however.

My g-g-g-g grandfather settled in what is now Breaks Interstate Park on the Kentucky/Virginia Border. My mother moved into central Kentucky, but most of her family still resides there.

Highland
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
WEIRD>.......We live in Franklin, NC....Macon County NC in WNC. Do you know any info. on how we are connected to the State of Franklin? Very interesting...never heard of this and I am originally from here.

molly_pitcher
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
All I know of the state was that it was highly contested. Opinion for and against split communities. You could do some research to see how the vote went in your area. The legend of the argument has survived in my family, but no one member seems to remember who took what side.

Were your people some of the Watauga (mostly German) settlers? They seemed to be ones who were most against the formation of a separate state, but this was only because they feared what the government was going to do with this piece of land. My ancestors were in Watauga territory at the start of the War.