PDA

View Full Version : My debate with my sister on libertarianism

RonPaulalways
03-01-2008, 02:46 AM
So I had a debate with my sister on google chat about libertarianism, I thought it would be good to share it, since I think my sister's is a view often held by those who vote for leftist policies.

Sister: i was just reading this:
2:34 PM http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.printable&pageId=57228

2:35 PM me: what's this?

Sister: the us and canadian military have signed a deal to unify them in many ways
without the approval of congress

me: does it concern you?

2:36 PM Sister: yes because these are steps tpwards a totalitarian militaristic governance of two nations under one body and less democratic as a result
it is not a type ofworld I want my child to grow up in, or any child

2:37 PM me: I see
yeah the west is decaying into tyranny
me: taxation is the ultimate form of tyranny
freedom is where taxes and regulations are low

2:38 PM Sister: yeah but it is not all or nothing

me: of course it's not, but the west is seriously deluded politically

2:39 PM Sister: freedom of speech is one thing and freedom to destroy the environment and let stronger bodies dominate everything from the production of knowledge to the production of goods
is another

me: as long as domination does not come from coercion, it is legitimate
2:40 PM it is not really domination if it comes from legimitate business practices

Sister: imposing your will upon others is not done forcefully through physical violence alone

me: yes it is

Sister: it comes from trickery and deceit

me: that is a form of physical domination
at its core, fraud is a form of coercion

2:41 PM Sister: which are harmful and unjust except that people don't see it as force because they don't see the lie and do not have the knowledge to be critical of what is fed to them
for example energy companies and cigarette companies

me: the proposed antidote to the perceived domination of powerful interests over the masses is more regulation and taxes, which only furthers the domination that those interests yield, or shifts the domination from one political faction to another, the only solution is equal justice for all and low regulations and taxes

Sister: oil companies for destroying the environment

2:42 PM me: I disagree with your positions, I believe they are wrong

2:43 PM Sister: i don't think any wild and crazy capitalist who wants to make a buck and at the same time destroy the environment and use and abuse people shouild be given the reins in the pursuit to give everyone the freedom to do whatever shit they want

me: destroying the environment is illegal is a just society
but the solution is not more regulations and government control, it is criminal law disallowing the emission of toxic materials into the air

Sister: deregulation means letting companies do what they want

2:44 PM me: no it isn't, deregulations means removing the principle of prior restraint

Sister: restraint to do what?

me: in a deregulated environment, there are still laws against coercion, fraud, theft and violence, but 'prior 'restraint' is removed
prior restraint means that a person is not allowed to do something before getting approval from some government body
2:45 PM as the years have gone by, the west has more and more resorted to prior restraint
prior restraint is a principle that existed for speech before, in that certain publishers were not allowed to publish without prior approval
it was eventually rejected as a tyrannical, but this same principle now applies to non-speech activities
2:46 PM it is tyrannical

Sister: freedom of speech has to do with the publishing and I am all for freedom of speech but for example if a company want to sell a product that is harmful to children, should we allow them to just create it? Should not a government body not give them the approval to destroy the health of children?

2:47 PM me: no, parents should decide what products to buy
there should be no prior restraint
if they lie and sell a product that has a toxic chemical in it, the owners of the corporation should face criminal proceedings

2:48 PM Sister: parents are like kids themselves. if companies that have power over the production of knowledge, for example a formula company hires a medical doctor to do research showing tha formulais better for babies than breast milk. they go ahead and publish tis fake data and make people buy formula . that has serious negative consequences including most importantly the health of newborns
2:49 PM since it has been proven that brast milk is better

me: then we will live under tyranny
we have to treat adults as free individuals responsible for themselves, or we have to live under tyranny
2:50 PM as soon you treat adults as children, then the government has a right to control the population

Sister: adults were once children and if a child is never given the tools to make responsible choices then they are as good as children

me: this is the justification used by those who want to control people
2:51 PM coercion is always justified with this argument

Sister: the way you govern a society is not controlling people

me: prior restraint is controlling people

Sister: you can say everything is control

me: it makes it impossible for small companies to compete against big ones
control is coercion
prior restraint is control
2:52 PM it is backed by the threat of prison sentences/fines

Sister: no, it has nothing to do with company size

me: it does
those in the business world will tell you that small companies cannot compete with big ones when there are regulations
big companies have the armies of lawyers and accountants, not to mention political connections, to navigate a regulated business environment. Small companies don't

2:54 PM Sister: if a body wants to create a product that is going to mess up the environment and destroy the ecosystem and give us cancer, some smart person should tell the dumb person next door that this is poison. ah, just let people be, let the decrepid life of that child tha turned into another decrepid existence of an adult turn another little innocent baby into a serial killer, a rapist, a sad suicidal person, etc. because the crazy parents had the right to do it. i don't think so.

2:55 PM me: if someone creates a product that has a toxin in it, they should go to jail
the fear of prison should deter people from doing that
not prior restraint

2:56 PM Sister: we create our society. we discuss through logic what is good collectively and what is not, because likeit or not, we are social beigns and we live in groups and societies and cultures and we have patterns in our behavior and we have to duscuss and agree as to how certain aspects of our lives shouldbe run. that is not control. that is knowledge, it is knowing that when you want to make a product, its science is not only comprised of making the bottom line, it is about the responsibility we have as individuals who belong to a civil society to work together to make thigns work smoothly and peacefully for all creatures of the world

2:57 PM me: control is prior restraint

Sister: I never told people that they have to breastfeed but i give them the knowledge without fear od taboo or fear of government
2:58 PM if the corporations who have money pay politicians, which we see they do, thn giving themthe 'freedom' to destroy the environment and give false info to the people is not really freedomn

me: I reject prior restraint, which is increasing in the west
2:59 PM corporations should have no control over politicians, the best way to ensure that is to remove regulations and let objective courts and law enforcement deal with infractions of the law
the focus should be to make the law and impartial as possible, and as apolitical as possible

Sister: you seem to have no logical reasons as to why you repeat what you are repeating and nothing against the points I have made

me: the more politicians and regulations get involved, the more biased and compromised the law will be
the courts are the best place to create objective justice
that does not favor the powerful
3:00 PM prior restraint will always be rejected by courts..

Sister: the law is always biased and subjective and alot of it is based on out morals and culture so we cannot , in the name impartiality, let people create things that are harmful to the environment
it should not called prior restraint

me: I never said we should let people create things that are harmful, we should deter them with criminal proceedings
3:01 PM prior restraint means forcing people to get approval before being allowed to do some activity. Prior restraint is wrong and harmful./
and it has destroyed the west's economy
it has destroyed the ability of people to make a life for themselves

3:02 PM Sister: that is not a an inclusive term for a process of approval that is much deeper than restraint or the right of an individual, it is about taking care of our young, weak, sick, and the environment, the earth and all its creatures

me: prior restraint is exactly what I described

Sister: ok, we will leave it at that. intersting conversation

Tdcci
03-01-2008, 03:04 AM
I think my sister's is a view often held by those who vote for leftist policies.

Definitely. These are people controlled by fear, instilled in them by the government. Fear of terrorism, fear of corporations, fear of the environment, fear of poverty. Logic isn't very effective against emotion.

Mordan
03-01-2008, 07:15 AM
i start a thread on cfcs and carbon emissions

ronpaulaways
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=124644

your sister is like my brother. and I think they both have a point. Assume carbon emissions do heat the earth and as a result the level of the ocean rises.

How do you compensate people living on the coasts? They will lose their homes in 50 years.

I think we should set up a world market for air pollution. It is a kind of restrain, yet with a free market structure. Proprety rights are totally inpractical in this situation.

PS: I know there is no proof yet about carbon emissions. but for the sake of the argument, please do so.

Ninja Homer
03-01-2008, 08:31 AM
You need to learn how to argue for property rights:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/environment/

As it is now, we have a giant corrupt agency called the EPA that's supposed to protect the environment. What they really do is legalize the destruction of the environment for the highest bidder, as well as get in the way of individuals suing the corporations for polluting their property.

Let's say an oil company wants to open a new plant. It costs them a lot of money to reduce the amount of pollution they put out. So instead of spending millions on reducing pollution, they pay off whoever they need to in order to get the EPA to approve their polluting. Now they can dump all their waste into a lake or river.

Now let's say somebody down river from the plant gets sick, they investigate, and they find that their water source is polluted from this oil plant dumping chemicals upstream. It's very hard for them to sue for the pollution of their property, because the EPA is a big legal wall that stands between this individual and the oil company. So in effect, the EPA has taken away property rights from individuals, and sold them to corporations.

Obviously, throwing more money at the EPA won't help. It's already corrupt, and the bigger an agency is, the more corruptible it becomes. Making it uncorrupt may help a bit, but probably not and it will just become corrupt again. The only true way to solve the problem is to completely dismantle the EPA and give property rights back to the people.

When individuals have property rights, they can sue anybody that pollutes their land, air, or water. Corporations will crunch the numbers and realize that either they can spend the money to take care of their own pollution, or pollute other people's property and get sued out of existence.

Hell if I'm going to pay a tax for somebody else's pollution... they can pay for cleaning up their mess them damn selves!

DealzOnWheelz
03-01-2008, 09:28 AM

As it is now, we have a giant corrupt agency called the EPA that's supposed to protect the environment. What they really do is legalize the destruction of the environment for the highest bidder, as well as get in the way of individuals suing the corporations for polluting their property.

Let's say an oil company wants to open a new plant. It costs them a lot of money to reduce the amount of pollution they put out. So instead of spending millions on reducing pollution, they pay off whoever they need to in order to get the EPA to approve their polluting. Now they can dump all their waste into a lake or river.

Now let's say somebody down river from the plant gets sick, they investigate, and they find that their water source is polluted from this oil plant dumping chemicals upstream. It's very hard for them to sue for the pollution of their property, because the EPA is a big legal wall that stands between this individual and the oil company. So in effect, the EPA has taken away property rights from individuals, and sold them to corporations.

Obviously, throwing more money at the EPA won't help. It's already corrupt, and the bigger an agency is, the more corruptible it becomes. Making it uncorrupt may help a bit, but probably not and it will just become corrupt again. The only true way to solve the problem is to completely dismantle the EPA and give property rights back to the people.

When individuals have property rights, they can sue anybody that pollutes their land, air, or water. Corporations will crunch the numbers and realize that either they can spend the money to take care of their own pollution, or pollute other people's property and get sued out of existence.

Hell if I'm going to pay a tax for somebody else's pollution... they can pay for cleaning up their mess them damn selves!

GREAT POST!!!

Aratus
03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
i have an idea that is libertarian democracy in its essense!
we should de-structure if we be honest as we are tres libertarian!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1298914#1298914

Mordan
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM

good one but please explain international pollution. How do you deal with that as a sovereign nation? can poor inhabitants of the Seycelles sue ExxonMobile for rising sea levels and the resulting disappearance of their island?

Aratus
03-01-2008, 10:12 AM
in real life, i'm actually more of a leftist than ANY of my sisters! in the newbie forum,
people! ............GOTO the thread "PRESIDENT RON PAUL's FIRST DAY IN OFFICE!"

RonPaulalways
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Ninja, my sister will use the most extreme hypothetical as her example, and say 'what are you going to do, sue someone after they've polluted and killed hundreds of people?' That's why I argued that criminal charges could be laid against those who pollute the environment.

your sister is like my brother. and I think they both have a point. Assume carbon emissions do heat the earth and as a result the level of the ocean rises.

How do you compensate people living on the coasts? They will lose their homes in 50 years.

The way I see it, there are a few options besides having a hybrid IRS/EPA agency regulate CO2:

1) Use class action suits against CO2 emitters

2) Do nothing since the US can't stop countries like China from emitting CO2, or stop natural CO2 emissions like those from volcanos any way.

I think doing nothing would be a lot less costly then trying to measure and tax every bit of CO2 that is emitted. I don't like the idea of regulating our breathing.

affa
03-01-2008, 10:40 AM
your sister seems educated and intelligent, but I'm not sure she has thought through all the issues (I only say this because she didn't know what prior restraint was, not because she seemed ignorant - she didn't). in, fact, i'm not libertarian either, so I understand where she is coming from though I don't agree with her either.

Your conversation hit a wall because you kept using the phrase 'prior restraint' but it was obvious she never quite understood the concept or that it simply had not sunk in yet (note at the beginning she asked for an explanation). This is the most likely reason for her statement near the end -
"Sister: you seem to have no logical reasons as to why you repeat what you are repeating and nothing against the points I have made"
because you kept repeating 'prior restraint' over and over again but it had little meaning to her.

The Left, as a gross oversimplification, does believe that businesses want to be deregulated so that they can 'get away with stuff'. A real simple example - the deregulation of media ownership can be at least partially credited with the massive consolidation of media companies under 5 roofs.

When you say - take away environmental regulations, people WILL hear that as 'allowing toxic dumping'. When you say no,no, property rights! You could sue them! They hear - yea, little ole' broke me could sue their legion of lawyers. Righhhhhht.

Add in examples such as the tobacco industry, which downright lied to the people for at least a generation (check out how tobacco was originally marketed) and... well, it's not pretty. And sure they've been fined. But not enough to break them. They are still massively profitable. One could argue that's fine - that people choose to smoke... and that's true. But how did a society addiction begin? Misinformation. How do we deal with a industry that should be legal, but initially engaged in illegal acts to spread, and can now afford paltry fines for previous misbehavior? It's a truly complex issue. (Note - I am for decriminalization of all drugs)

Understand that libertarianism sounds as farfetched to most people as, say, anarchism (in fact, depending on your definition of libertarianism, it can actually be considered a branch of anarchism - anarcho-capitalism).

Libertarianism might be more agreeable to everyone if there weren't ALREADY huge massive corporations with a history of crimes against the people (enron, child labor, etc.).

Another important factor to consider is that even words like 'freedom' are defined differently by people in different camps. For example, for most libertarians any sort of income taxation (or, i believe, inheritance tax) is considered force (and therefore bad) whereas a usage fee/tax is ok. Let me translate that for you: the rich can stay rich and have the freedom to do everything, and the poor won't have any money to travel because they can't afford tolls every ten feet. In other words, they define 'freedom' differently, since they view the world you are defining as benefitting the rich - and so someone who is rich by inheritance, having done nothing themselves for society, is 'free' to do as they will while a hard working factory worker never leaves his home town and dies from overexertion. Is that freedom? Now, understand that this too is a gross oversimplification, but PLEASE spend the moment to grok it.

Because if you don't understand both view points, it's pretty much impossible to communicate with people in the other camp. Where you equate capitalism with freedom, there are many who view it as a system of force. 'Don't walk on the grass' means very different things to different people - to some, it's property rights. To others, it's property theft. This is a BIG divide.

Now, I happen to agree with libertarians in regards to most of the points on deregulaion. Regulations put into place by corrupt politicians at the behest of corporate lobbyists are very, very, wrong... and that's exactly what happened.

One of the best arguments against Universal Health Care, for example, is simply saying - do you trust todays corrupt politicians, already proven to be in bed with Big Pharm and the Health Insurance industry, to design a system that benefits you?... or that benefits them? This is a WINNER of a statement - even if it doesn't work when you say it, give it time to sink in. If they come back to you, talk about how under Ron Paul different states could try different UHC plans if they wanted, and if one was successful it would likely spread to other interested states.

affa
03-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Ninja, my sister will use the most extreme hypothetical as her example, and say 'what are you going to do, sue someone after they've polluted and killed hundreds of people?' That's why I argued that criminal charges could be laid against those who pollute the environment.

Exactly. See the tobacco discussion in my post. She also brought it up. This is a valid concern. Telling an individual they could sue a multinational years after the fact (assuming the issue is ever discovered) is a hard sell. And rightfully so -- I still don't buy it. I just don't think corrupt regulations are the solution either.

RonPaulalways
03-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Your conversation hit a wall because you kept using the phrase 'prior restraint' but it was obvious she never quite understood the concept or that it simply had not sunk in yet (note at the beginning she asked for an explanation).

Yeah I had to keep repeating that point because it's important that people realize that regulations imply limiting each individual's liberty, in a manner that destroys their ability to make a living.

. For example, for most libertarians any sort of income taxation (or, i believe, inheritance tax) is considered force (and therefore bad) whereas a usage fee/tax is ok. Let me translate that for you: the rich can stay rich and have the freedom to do everything, and the poor won't have any money to travel because they can't afford tolls every ten feet. In other words, they define 'freedom' differently, since they view the world you are defining as benefitting the rich - and so someone who is rich by inheritance, having done nothing themselves for society, is 'free' to do as they will while a hard working factory worker never leaves his home town and dies from overexertion. Is that freedom? Now, understand that this too is a gross oversimplification, but PLEASE spend the moment to grok it.

The rich do pay more consumption tax than the poor. Their income is indirectly taxed by usage fees/taxes, and it is done in a manner that is more fair and proportional to how much they use the government's services/infrastructure.

Say for example a rich foreigner is a major shareholder in a trucking company based in the US. His trucks must pay the gas tax, which reduces his company's operating profit, and therefore his dividends/capital gains. In this way a consumption tax indirectly taxes his income. An income tax would not affect him since he lives outside of the US.

Now say another rich individual has most of his businesses based in Europe, but lives in the US. His companies do not use American infrastructure and government services, so he would end up paying less in consumption taxes than an individual with a comparable asset base whose businesses are based in the US. This is fair and coherent way to tax people.

Mordan
03-01-2008, 01:42 PM
mass CFC emissions... the world suffers from UVs.. who the f### do you sue? They are all using CFCs, from Intel Corp to your local freezer.

The only way out is Regulation at the international level. I start to understand why they think we are crazy. Proprety rights don't always work and it is intellectually dishonest to say otherwise, especially for the sake of theory purity.

RonPaulalways
03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
You can have a law against CFC emissions without an international body administering it, and without prior restraint.

I would rather risk the ill effects of CFC and CO2 emissions, than risk the economic strangulation that occurs when international government sets in.

Broadlighter
03-01-2008, 04:11 PM
The libertarian paradigm is highly divided from the mindset of the liberal and conservative, especially the liberal. It's little wonder where you are going to have agreement on core principles.

Basically, to understand libertarianism you have to understand the differences between scientific law and political law as described in Richard Maybury's book, "Whatever Happened to Justice." Liberals seem to have estranged themselves from the concept of unalienable rights. Therefore, whatever laws and government actions that support the liberal agenda are considered good, despite whoever is coerced or sacrificed in the process.

In a Libertarian world, all individuals, corporations and governments have the same rights and are not allowed to encroach on another's rights. It's the same axiom as my freedom ends where yours begins. In order for anything to happen or for apparent conflicts to be resolved, individuals must use their creativity to arrive at outcomes that are agreed on by all affected parties. This is unlike the notion where someone has to lose in order for someone to win or someone has to be sacrificed or coerced in order for the greater number to benefit. The libertarian ideal, which in my opinion is the most desired, may be the hardest to achieve because it takes more patience, intelligence and creativity. It actually makes better human beings of us. The other approaches end up holding back humanity from evolving, because they reinforce the same totalitarian behavior of coercion. The short term objectives may be achieved expeditiously, but the price is always an erosion of freedom.

RonPaulalways
03-01-2008, 11:07 PM
well said.