PDA

View Full Version : Report from the frontlines: last day of early voting in Texas;our chances, our future

hyoomen
02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I just got back from the last couple of hours of early voting at my local polling place in Dallas, TX, and I have both good/bad news to share.

Good:
-record turnout (last day in excess of 1000 at my polling place)
-very few people were opposed to the messages I promoted for Congressman Paul
-of the people who stated they were voting Republican, were uncertain, etc. maybe came back out to thank me and suggested they had voted for Congressman Paul
-even people voting Democrat were extremely supportive ("He's a good man!" or "Good luck, we need more principled politicians like him!")
-two people whom I discussed Goldwater conservatism with returned from the polling place with an encouraging message, "You tell your man he got two more votes."
-overall, anybody I discussed restoration of the GOP to "old school conservatism", downsizing of the federal government, balancing the budget, legalizing the Constitution, or ending foreign intervention was verbally supportive of Congressman Paul for those issues
-a large number of people expressed a desire for Congressman Paul to run as an independent/third party candidate
-pretty much everybody wants to stop the neoconservative agenda

Bad:
-with an hour and a half left until polls closed the numbers were around 75/25 in favor of the Democrats
-an overwhelming number of people acknowledged their interest (and even passionate support for) Congressman Paul but were voting Obama either because of the misdirection of the Republican Party or because they wanted to stop Senator Clinton
-nobody (presumably of the 3/4 voting Democrat at my polling place) would listen to anything if I promoted Congressman Paul as a Republican
-most people were surprised to know Congressman Paul is still in the race

It was disheartening how vehemently opposed people were on the basis of party. President Bush has successfully unified this nation (in opposition to the GOP).

Successful approaches:
1) Are you a Conservative voter (as opposed to Republican)?
2) (if Democrat) Here's some important information about the only man who could change a Democrat's mind
3) (if obviously against the war [hint 70+% of the population]) Here's some information about the only Presidential candidate with a plan to end the war NOW.
4) Defeating the neocon movement is far more important than the next four years of any candidate's administration -- only Congressman Paul can help with that.
5) Always counter 'electability' issue with importance of voting to change the party platform or historical precedents (Lincoln's convention, Goldwater's loss being less important than cultural impact small government conservatism had on the next twenty years, etc).
6) I hope you have the same Hope For America Ron Paul has.

Conclusions:
I think we can make a crucial impact on the Tuesday primaries. More importantly, I think that if we can hang on through the convention and some how pull off a nomination we could actually have a decent chance against Senator Obama. Also, though I can sympathize with Rep. Paul's perspective on an independent run, I think he is likely the only person to run on a strong enough platform to break the vicious cycle. To that end, once the Texas primaries are over, I'll join the underground movement to convince Congressman Paul of the merits of defending the Constitution and championing Liberty by running as an independent.

How about everybody else?

Steve_New_Jersey
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I think people will still vote for Obama just to stick it to Clinton. The sad part is there is no difference between the 2 of them and McCain is no different.

My vote will stay true but I doubt most people will see the trickery in this election and not fall for it.

nate895
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
BTW, I like low turnout, almost everyone that is staying home is a McCain supporter.

N13
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Good report.

LEK
02-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I think I'm proud of you and want to thank you for your great effort and interesting analysis.
The whole vote Obama against Clinton was to be expected - if only theDemocrats can see that Ron Paul stands for them far more than either of the Democratic candidates.

hyoomen
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I just hope this isn't the final line in the sand for Texas (delegate process notwithstanding).

If others at the D/FW Grassroots HQ approve I may bring out some anti-Obama information with me on Tuesday to help sway voters away from him and towards Rep. Paul. People need to know that he is on the Judicial Watch's 2007 Most Corrupt Politicians list along w/ Sen. Clinton.

kigol
02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
:cool:

Number19
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I just got back home from this evening's precinct convention planning session. About half way through the evening we got interrupted by an important phone call. There's been a leak from the Republican Party leadership informing that they are concerned about our concerted efforts at the precinct level to elect Ron Paul supporters as delegates to the District Convention and the State Convention, and that they will be pulling out all the stops to "thwart" these efforts. We don't know what to expect but we know they know they have a revolution coming up from the grassroots.

nate895
02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I just got back home from this evening's precinct convention planning session. About half way through the evening we got interrupted by an important phone call. There's been a leak from the Republican Party leadership informing that they are concerned about our concerted efforts at the precinct level to elect Ron Paul supporters as delegates to the District Convention and the State Convention, and that they will be pulling out all the stops to "thwart" these efforts. We don't know what to expect but we know they know they have a revolution coming up from the grassroots.

God damn, what the hell are they trying to do, we need to fight this all the way to the Convention, this might make another thing so we can have a rump national convention.

hyoomen
03-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah, there's starting to be a little bit of turmoil over the idea, I gather.

No matter. It may not happen Tuesday. It may not happen on a random day four years from now. But it will happen. If not by popular vote, then by delegate process. If not by delegate process, then by methodical and well executed guerilla education of the masses.

If you are discouraged to the point of ceasing your fight then I wonder if you've had your eyes opened enough. As Congressman Paul said in Iowa, we automatically shoulder more of the burden because we know the Truth. There is no end to the fight where Liberty is the only prize.

In the mean time, TEXAS/OHIO, GO TO YOUR GRASSROOTS HQ THIS WEEKEND AND HELP IN ANY AND EVERY WAY YOU CAN.

hawks4ronpaul
03-01-2008, 01:25 AM
an overwhelming number of people acknowledged their interest (and even passionate support for) Congressman Paul but were voting Obama either because of the misdirection of the Republican Party or because they wanted to stop Senator Clinton

I hope Paul supporters are NOT tactically voting for Obama.

That would be as bad as the VA tactical 'vote for Huckabee' ploy.

McCain and Huckabee supporters voting for Hillary is OK.

Convince the neocon warmongers to tactically vote for Hillary but get Paul supporters to vote Paul.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

hyoomen
03-01-2008, 01:32 AM
From the admittedly limited knowledge I have of the *organized* Ron Paul grassroots contingency in this area, I suspect there is no tactical plan of that nature in place. Grassroots HQ talks about Rep. Paul and that's IT for the Presidential race.

If anybody else is a Paul supporter that is voting for Obama, they probably aren't on the same level of dedication (yet) as RPForums readers (this weeks' tanking in readership notwithstanding) or regular Grassroots/Meetup people.

On the other hand, I did actually use stopping the neocons as a reason why voting for Congressman Paul is far MORE important than selecting the President of the next four years. "No President -- not even Bush -- can do as much damage in four or eight years as the neoconservative movement has done in the past twenty."

jblosser
03-01-2008, 02:10 AM
I just hope this isn't the final line in the sand for Texas (delegate process notwithstanding).

If others at the D/FW Grassroots HQ approve I may bring out some anti-Obama information with me on Tuesday to help sway voters away from him and towards Rep. Paul. People need to know that he is on the Judicial Watch's 2007 Most Corrupt Politicians list along w/ Sen. Clinton.

If you think the HQs need to approve what you do you've not been paying attention to how we organize things here. :-P

I prefer to stay positive and not negative but if you want to campaign with a flaming chicken on your head that's your business. Personal liberty, individual responsibility.

And no, no one here is tactically doing anything that resembles voting for someone other than Ron Paul

intelliot
03-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Ugh, I wish people would just vote for who they think is best.

hyoomen
03-01-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes, of course I don't need permission. Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say that I'd be seeking a bit of guidance and a different perspective on whether anti-Obama information would be useful.

Much of the Primary Day electioneering guides and advice I've read through discusses only passing out literature to people who say they are voting Republican, but I recognized today that many would-be Republican voters can be rescued from the ashes of Obama's bonfire (of America's deficit dollars) by discussing the overarching goal of restoring the discussion in America to one of more government vs. less government.