PDA

View Full Version : Informative Speech topic? Federal Reserve?

josephadel_3
02-29-2008, 12:09 PM
For my speech class I have to do a 6 minute speech with a visual aid on an informative topic of my choice. I was thinking about starting the speech by holding up the 1 dollar Federal Reserve note and saying, "This piece of paper is worthless....let me explain...."

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think? I think I could do a decent job with this by getting reputable research sources and by being unbiased, although I am extremely biased and emotional on this topic. When I give the speech I won't try to come off as biased and emotional.

micahnelson
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Could be fun. I would bring a calculator though. Talk about reserve ratios and show how unbalanced budgets have an exponential effect on the economy- focusing on inflation.

nullvalu
02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
For comedic value, I'd throw in the irony of how Andrew Jackson is on the $20 FRN.

nullvalu
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
BTW, it isn't completely true that it's worthless.. Something only has value as long as others are willing to accept it as something of value. Since people think a dollar has value, it isn't worthless. I'd maybe think about starting with a different line.

josephadel_3
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
BTW, it isn't completely true that it's worthless.. Something only has value as long as others are willing to accept it as something of value. Since people think a dollar has value, it isn't worthless. I'd maybe think about starting with a different line.

True, it can buy us goods and services, so it isn't "worthless" per se, but you raise a good point that saying this will raise some flags in my classmates heads. I'll try to think of another attention getter.

micahnelson
02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Many of them probably think its backed with metals still. Most people I talk to think that way.

linusPAULing
02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
You may find this as a good starting point for your research

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-515319560256183936

pinkmandy
02-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Good idea. Most also think it's "Federal".

belian78
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
i would start by watching 'money as debt'. it's only 50 mins long, and gives a really easy to understand explanation on how money is created. start there.

AJ Antimony
02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Your visual should be a chart of the value of the dollar throughout its history. Make sure to point out when the Fed was created.

hawks4ronpaul
02-29-2008, 01:47 PM
True, it can buy us goods and services, so it isn't "worthless" per se, but you raise a good point that saying this will raise some flags in my classmates heads. I'll try to think of another attention getter.

Ask them to give you all their dollars and you will return them a nickel for each dollar (approximates inflation under Fed).

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/