PDA

View Full Version : New Republic Praises Ron Paul

Razmear
05-24-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20070604&s=crowley060407

Long article, great read, and surprisingly supportive of Ron Paul.

Here is the start of it, much more on the site and coming in the mag:

The surprising relevance of Ron Paul.
by Michael Crowley
Post date 05.25.07 | Issue date 06.04.07

A star had just been born when, a day after the May 15 Republican presidential debate in South Carolina, I met Texas Representative Ron Paul for lunch on Capitol Hill. The meeting had been scheduled for several days; but, as luck would have it, the previous night Paul had gone from an oddball obscurity to a major sensation in the political world when, answering a question about September 11, he seemed to suggest that the attacks were justified by an aggressive U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East. "They attack us because we've been over there. We've been bombing Iraq for ten years," Paul explained. Illustration by Stephen SavageThe ever-macho Rudy Giuliani was quick to pounce. "That's an extraordinary statement," he marveled. "And I would ask the congressman to withdraw that comment and tell us that he didn't really mean that." The crowd roared its approval. A previously flagging Giuliani suddenly enjoyed his best moment of the race.

But it was also, oddly enough, Paul's best moment. The response to his comments was fast and furious: Angry Republicans, including the party chairman in Michigan, former Senate candidate Michael Steele, and unnamed South Carolina sources cited on Fox News, called for his exclusion from future debates. Sean Hannity couldn't wait to bully Paul in a post-debate interview. John McCain even added a line to his stump speech bashing him. But the outrage was instructive: Suddenly, Republicans were taking seriously a quirky 71-year-old Texas libertarian whose national support has hovered in the zero-percent range.

Nor was the attention all negative. Far from it. Paul won several instant polls on the debate, including one at the conservative Newsmax.com and a Fox News text-message poll. Incredibly, Paul's name began beating out "Paris Hilton" as the number-one query on the popular blog-searching website Technorati. (Granted, it's possible that Paul's fervent supporters are manipulating such online metrics.) The incident prompted a feisty exchange among the ladies of ABC's "The View," of all places. And, to top it off, within a day of the debate, Paul's campaign had raised $100,000--about one-sixth of his entire haul for the first three months of 2007. Paul's spokesman says the campaign headquarters has been "inundated with phone calls" ever since--80 percent of them supportive.

When Paul ambled through the door of a cheap Mexican joint on Capitol Hill last Wednesday, he hardly looked like a freshly minted celebrity. His slight frame, elfin face, and reserved persona suggest the doctor he used to be, not a politician. But Paul turned heads all the same. As he approached his table, a man seated nearby extended his hand with a broad smile and a hearty "congratulations." Paul explained that he had received a similar reception among his colleagues in the House. "I've had probably ten people come up to me and compliment me--including people I thought were war hawks," he said. "It was a tremendous boost to the campaign."

<Continued At Link Above>

eb

Pedrique
05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Just got around to this - it is a great read. Thanks!

winston_blade
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Loved reading that. I can't wait until Paul's fundraising totals are going to be made public for this quarter. That will set him apart from the "second tier". I don't expect him to raise as much as "first tier" candidates but still, a bump in fundraising is good for any campaign. Brownback has nothing on this (the only reason I single him out is because he is the one I absolutely can't stand at all because of his emphasis every debate on how important the family is. While I agree with him, what is the president going to do about it? Is he going to force the family to eat together and have family night twice a week? I just think making such a thing a cornerstone in your political run is idiotic.).

Pedrique
05-25-2007, 01:48 PM
This made me laugh out loud.

"(the only reason I single him out is because he is the one I absolutely can't stand at all because of his emphasis every debate on how important the family is. While I agree with him, what is the president going to do about it? Is he going to force the family to eat together and have family night twice a week? I just think making such a thing a cornerstone in your political run is idiotic.)."