PDA

View Full Version : Draft Bob Barr!

Richie
02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Mods - This thread contains a grassroots petition that is loosely related to Ron Paul (his name is brought up multiple times within the petition). In my opinion, this is the best section to have this posted in. If you must move it, though, please wait a little while.

If you guys haven't seen Bob Barr's introduction to Ron Paul at CPAC, watch it now! It will put this thread into perspective for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l8AIuJJRZo

Put aside all feelings you currently have about Bob Barr - I realize that he was 110% neocon in Congress. You probably didn't know this, though. In 2004, he had a turnaround. He endorsed Michael Badnarik for President, and joined the Libertarian Party as a Life Member (Ron Paul is a life member of the LP as well). In 2006, he became a regional representative on the Libertarian National Committee, representing the Party's Southeast Region. Barr has reversed his stance on the War on Drugs, and now lobbies for Marijuana Policy Project. He is also against the Iraq War. I could go on and on about his turnaround, but it's obvious that he's on our side.

Since Ron Paul has ruled out a third party run, I think we should draft Barr for the Libertarian nomination. Why the LP? Because they are the most effective vehicle - providing easier ballot access then an independent run. I urge you all to sign the petition at the following link. http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

mavtek
02-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I say draft Clint Eastwood, he'd kick some ass.

Richie
02-28-2008, 04:40 PM
bump

runderwo
02-28-2008, 04:40 PM
A neocon suddenly becomes an antiwar marijuana-legalization activist. Hmm, let me think what the event might have been that turned him around in 2004, once he started hanging around with those LP types.

All joking aside, I've met Bob in person, heard him speak, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is completely sincere about his conversion to the love of freedom, and sincerely regrets his big-government past. I feel sorry for the guy, he was brought up on Ayn Rand, he must have experienced some serious cognitive dissonance throughout his tenure in Congress.

The burning question is, what district does he now live in, and who would he be running against?

Richie
02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
The burning question is, what district does he now live in, and who would he be running against?

You misunderstand the purpose of this petition. While a Congressional race would be awesome, I'm talking about the Libertarian nomination for President.

runderwo
02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Whoever started this petition needs to spell "President" correctly. :rolleyes:

Richie
02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Whoever started this petition needs to spell "President" correctly. :rolleyes:

haha I just noticed that. I'm only the owner of the domain, not the petition.

runderwo
02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
You misunderstand the purpose of this petition. While a Congressional race would be awesome, I'm talking about the Libertarian nomination for President.

I saw the petition title. I don't think he has a chance for President under the LP ticket because of ballot access at this late point. But I do think he would be a shoo-in to return to Congress under the LP ticket. Therefore, we should look at who he is running against.

Richie
02-28-2008, 06:03 PM
I saw the petition title. I don't think he has a chance for President under the LP ticket because of ballot access at this late point. But I do think he would be a shoo-in to return to Congress under the LP ticket. Therefore, we should look at who he is running against.

The LP currently has 28 states, and is expected to get 48+DC. The candidate doesn't matter.

I do agree that a Congressional race would be much more effective, though.

alaric
02-28-2008, 07:31 PM
This is an interesting idea, but I still favor a write-in for RP in the general election.

nate895
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
This is an interesting idea, but I still favor a write-in for RP in the general election.

Those don't count in some states unless he registers as a write in, so I think we should pick a third party candidate and vote en masse for them, and see how far we can get. I'd hope to break 2%, then candidate would get media coverage for it, and we can tell them it was hardcore Ron Paul fans.

Richie
02-28-2008, 09:14 PM

Here's the problem with writing-in Ron Paul - he won't actively be seeking the office, so the momentum would just faction off and go in different directions (Reform Party, for example). If all of it were concentrated on building the best LP ticket possible, we'd all have a place to stay in between primary years.

Also, they don't even count in some states (mine included).

crazyfingers
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I hope Wayne Root (http://www.rootforamerica.com) gets the LP nomination. He's really an excellent communicator, I urge everyone to check out the audios/videos on his site.

Richie
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I hope Wayne Root (http://www.rootforamerica.com) gets the LP nomination. He's really an excellent communicator, I urge everyone to check out the audios/videos on his site.

I don't like Wayne Allen Root. He was pro-war, not long ago. As in - a couple months ago. And I don't like his style of communication. It's like one of those infomercials you see late at night.

stevedasbach
02-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Ballot access shouldn't be a problem. The LP expects to be on 48 ballots running an unknown candidate. Picking up the last couple of states with a candidate like Bob Barr should be very doable.

Flirple
02-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I signed it.

Richie
02-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks to all who have signed! Let's see if we can push it up over 100!

SteveMartin
02-29-2008, 12:17 PM
I spoke to Congressman Barr Wednesday night about running on a ticket with RP as an Independent and going after the endorsement of the LP, Constitution, Reform, American, etc. parties together. He seemed quite open to the idea, especially given the Bloomberg announcement that he would not run.

IMO, Bob Barr would be the perfect complement to RP. He's a bulldog and a fighter. Their personalities are a lot different, but their ideologies are very similar.

Johncjackson
02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
There seems to be something to the possibility that Barr might consider it. Not based on any specific knowledge, but the way some people ( who are trustworthy) have been dropping hints.

Richie
02-29-2008, 05:58 PM
There is definitely strong indication that Bob Barr is at least considering jumping into the race for the Libertarian nomination. In any case - I'm just glad I grabbed bobbarr2008.com before it fell into the wrong hands. If he enters the race, I'll gladly donate it. If he doesn't, I'll let it expire.

SteveMartin
02-29-2008, 11:09 PM
There is definitely strong indication that Bob Barr is at least considering jumping into the race for the Libertarian nomination. In any case - I'm just glad I grabbed bobbarr2008.com before it fell into the wrong hands. If he enters the race, I'll gladly donate it. If he doesn't, I'll let it expire.

Better go reserve PaulBarr2008.com....

Richie
03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Better go reserve PaulBarr2008.com....

Good thought. I'm a bit short on funds, though. Could somebody else do it (and possibly redirect it to my site, or directly to the petition)? It's $8 for a year if you do it through GoDaddy. http://www.godaddy.com/

TurtleBurger
03-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I like the idea of Barr-Gary Johnson or Johnson-Barr (if RP doesn't go 3rd party). I think those are the only 2 libertarians that have enough government experience to even have a shot, and as an added bonus they both have records that can appeal to mainstream conservatives that are disillusioned with McCain.

nate895
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
For those who want to do this, they need to donate to "future/unannounced candidate" on the LP website.

tonyr1988
03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Good thought. I'm a bit short on funds, though. Could somebody else do it (and possibly redirect it to my site, or directly to the petition)? It's $8 for a year if you do it through GoDaddy. http://www.godaddy.com/

If someone does this, for the love of God, don't use GoDaddy. They are awful on every level.

I personally love NearlyFreeSpeech.net - It's only $7.99/year, too, and offer pretty good hosting prices as well.

Gadsden Flag
03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't like Wayne Allen Root. He was pro-war, not long ago. As in - a couple months ago. And I don't like his style of communication. It's like one of those infomercials you see late at night.

Haha, do you know why?

Because that's what he used to do!. Seriously. That's why he's famous. He is a Las Vegas gambling champion or some crap and he makes a lot of money scamming people selling 'winning picks' for them to bet on. I hear his commercials on the radio all the time.

In essence, he's a hack and I would rather vote for Hillary Clinton than him.