PDA

View Full Version : Army of two seems like a pro war propaganda game

Give me liberty
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Dont you agree?

Watch these videos and tell me if you agree with my view point.
Politics Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31199.html

Back To Iraq (2003?)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30690.html

Intro of the game (how all it started)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31042.html

I Guess this ea's way of saying join the army, see the world and fight for freedom:rolleyes:
and you will get paid.

Doktor_Jeep
02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
These FPS games have been more than just indoctrination tools. They are training a whole generation of killbots.

tommyzDad
02-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Looks like pure garbage anyway.
(Ah well, back to Day Of Defeat Source...) ;)

familydog
02-28-2008, 10:08 AM
These FPS games have been more than just indoctrination tools. They are training a whole generation of killbots.

How so?

acptulsa
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Actually, the Army has been sponsoring first person shooters, and using them as recruitment tools

familydog
02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Actually, the Army has been sponsoring first person shooters, and using them as recruitment tools

Yeah. America's Army. It's a fun online game. I played it, I liked it. I don't feel inspired to join the army, and I don't feel inspired to kill people. In fact, I read a news story a few weeks ago where a guy who played America's Army helped save victims of a car wreck's life because of the medical training he learned on the game.

FPS get a bad wrap as some pro-war propaganda piece that the government uses to indoctrinate the public. I may be inclined to support the idea that they desensitize people to violence in general though. In fact, I challenge anyone to play Call of Duty 4's single player mode all the way through, and not come out with a feeling of hating war.

rpfreedom08
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah. America's Army. It's a fun online game. I played it, I liked it. I don't feel inspired to join the army, and I don't feel inspired to kill people. In fact, I read a news story a few weeks ago where a guy who played America's Army helped save victims of a car wreck's life because of the medical training he learned on the game.

FPS get a bad wrap as some pro-war propaganda piece that the government uses to indoctrinate the public. I may be inclined to support the idea that they desensitize people to violence in general though. In fact, I challenge anyone to play Call of Duty 4's single player mode all the way through, and not come out with a feeling of hating war.

there are always going to be good people and there are always going to be those bad people as well. While you learned something possitive from it, most are just seeing how cool it is to fight, use really cool weapons, kill etc... etc... One thing I find appalling about this game is the glorification of privatized military.

IRO-bot
02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like pure garbage anyway.
(Ah well, back to Day Of Defeat Source...) ;)

W00T!!!!

Don't forget CS!!!

juice797
02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, there are many CS clones out there: if you're a terrorist, plant the bomb, if you're a counter-terrorist, kill the terrorists. Ok, we get it. But I believe games are going to become a more important medium for conveying alternative messages in the future, and because of this, more often than not, you see attacks on video game free speech. "Violent video games" stories in the media are the same as "evil internet sexual predator" stories. They're designed to provide impetus to pass legislation which increases government control. While there are video games which could be argued to be desensitizing to violence, and there are sexual predators who use the internet, these evils are simply poor excuses to destroy freedom.

Kludge
02-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, there are many CS clones out there: if you're a terrorist, plant the bomb, if you're a counter-terrorist, kill the terrorists. Ok, we get it. But I believe games are going to become a more important medium for conveying alternative messages in the future, and because of this, more often than not, you see attacks on video game free speech. "Violent video games" stories in the media are the same as "evil internet sexual predator" stories. They're designed to provide impetus to pass legislation which increases government control. While there are video games which could be argued to be desensitizing to violence, and there are sexual predators who use the internet, these evils are simply poor excuses to destroy freedom.

They're designed to sell. Would you rather play a game where you seek to resolve conflicts thru talking or shoot some pixelated terrorist sons of bitches? I'd prefer option #2. "Evil internet sexual predator" news stories are there for RATINGS, they don't give a damn about news, they're there for profit, they're a business! No one would watch the news if it was about a group of kids having some type of sledding party at their local pavilion.

Fox News has perfected the News formula, borrowing from game designers. For success, you need:

1. Sex. People like sex.
2. Violence. It's dramatic, gets your blood racing.
3. Outrage. Find little stories and blow them out of proportion.

Less sex, a perfect example of good business is this great Fox News video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY)