PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on Yahoo's Front Page News!

coffeewithchess
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Ron Paul Sharing The Political Wealth With Like-Minded Candidates

By Jonathan Allen, CQ StaffWed Feb 27, 6:27 PM ET

Ron Paul is starting to give like-minded candidates a taste of the political gold he discovered on the Internet by lending his endorsement and renting out his donor list.

A previously little-known Texas congressman with a libertarian bent, Paul had raised $32 million for his quixotic bid for the Republican presidential nomination through the end of January, a figure that dwarfed the totals of several Democratic and Republican candidates who began the race with much higher profiles.

He created an online sensation with his platform of limited government, expansive individual liberties and withdrawal from Iraq and international organizations. More than $6 million came into his coffers on a single day in December through a "moneybomb" Internet fundraising effort.

That haul of cash has not translated into victory in primaries or caucuses, but it has built a political base for Paul -- and, perhaps more important, a donor list -- that would be the envy of any incumbent or challenger. (Paul, by the way, faces a primary challenger of his own in Texas on Tuesday).

Murray Sabrin, a New Jersey Senate candidate who has been endorsed by Paul, is expecting a "moneybomb" from his own backers and Paul's this Friday. Sabrin has raised $194,260 since launching his campaign last month, according to a calculator on his Web site.

"We're working hard to cultivate his previous donors and Murray's previous donors and donors across the country," said Sabrin consultant Adam Alonso.

Republican Rep. Walter B. Jones, a fellow Iraq war critic who faces a tough primary challenge in North Carolina coastal 3rd District, has rented access to Paul's list of donors in the state.

But Paul's imprimatur was not limited to the list itself: He sent out an e-mail soliciting help for Jones last week.

Jones said he already has raised about $5,000 from Paul supporters, which is not an insubstantial figure in a relatively inexpensive market. Jones had raised $192,185 through the end of December, and his rival for the GOP nomination, Joe McLaughlin, had collected $78,278.

Paul says lending a hand to his friends is old hat but acknowledges it's a bigger hat these days.

"I've been helping people for a long time. Nothing new about it," he said during a brief interview in the Capitol on Tuesday. "The degree might be different but the principle's the same."

Paul's presidential spokesman said the campaign is still in the process of figuring out how best to make full use of its massive list of campaign donors.

"A likely use would be to help candidates for office who are running on a constitutionalist platform," Jesse Benton said. "It will go to a good use."

Though Paul is winding down his presidential bid as he focuses on winning re-election A-A--- he also has rented his donor list to his own congressional campaign -- he wants to have an impact on the direction of his party.

One way to do that is to aid the campaigns of colleagues and congressional challengers who share his outlook on politics.

"We put together a movement and that movement is going to continue," Benton said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20080227/pl_cq_politics/politics2677795

heartless
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
nice - bump - actually fair and balanced "kinda"

Jeremy
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
That would explain the emails

I have no problems with it personally though

lucynuts
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I have donated and am on the Official Campaign mailing list from ronpaul2008.com but I haven't gotten any of these emails.

kigol
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
very :cool:

Liberty_is_NORML
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I have donated and am on the Official Campaign mailing list from ronpaul2008.com but I haven't gotten any of these emails.

I have...had it been any other candidates I would have been pissed. I like learning about the other liberty candidates but damn, they probably should have at least given us the option to sign up instead of just giving out the all the e-mail addys.

HollyforRP
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Not expected from the RP campaign. I'm still a little suspicious of this. Why didn't we get a newsletter from the campaign letting us know this was going to happen and not be alarmed?

hyoomen
02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
This is a major erosion of trust, regardless of whether you would otherwise support these other candidates and related issues by receiving their emails. I do not recall (and indeed, just checked) having an option to opt out of non-Ron Paul related emails when I gave them my information in good faith.

They need to send out an email IMMEDIATELY with an updated opportunity for people to modify their accounts. It shouldn't be a difficult adjustment to make, but it is important to prevent turning off a lot of Congressman Paul's base.

torchbearer
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
This is a major erosion of trust, regardless of whether you would otherwise support these other candidates and related issues by receiving their emails. I do not recall (and indeed, just checked) having an option to opt out of non-Ron Paul related emails when I gave them my information in good faith.

They need to send out an email IMMEDIATELY with an updated opportunity for people to modify their accounts. It shouldn't be a difficult adjustment to make, but it is important to prevent turning off a lot of Congressman Paul's base.

well, i have had the opportunity to use his email list and passed on it.
I am instead contacting people on a more personal level.
But the access to liberty minded people through his campaign database is the kind of advantage we will need to compete against the crooks who are funded by special interest.

If I can't get support for my money bomb by getting people to spread the word themselves, then i don't have enough support yet.

CoreyBowen999
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I hope your money bomb turns out well Brent. Good luck on the campaign

hyoomen
02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
If I can't get support for my money bomb by getting people to spread the word themselves, then i don't have enough support yet.And I'm in favor of the use of the list for that purpose, granted individuals SELECT to leave themselves available to Ron Paul-trusted initiatives. We weren't given a chance -- we were asked for our information for the purpose of A single Presidential candidate and his campaign.

It just shows a lack of respect.

0zzy
02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
You guys surely cry a lot. I can understand your concerns, but, meh. im too tired for this.

RSLudlum
02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd much more prefer getting these types of unsolicited emails than the other "maik her hapy" and "pharms4ubetter" crap.

nullvalu
02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I think when they say "rent his list", the "renter" is not actually getting the list, Ron Paul's staff is just sending the letters on behalf of the "renter". I don't think they "sold" our information to anyone.

ronpaulyourmom
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I can't believe people are crying about the email stuff. If it bothers you so much then take about 5 seconds and press the "marked as spam" button. I understand that you didn't sign up for this or whatever, but to call the situation a "serious erosion of trust" and all that jazz seems to me a little petty when it's so easy to fix on your end.

When I look at the alternatives facing the future of this country, the idea of an email soliitation from a would be congressman or congresswoman who actually supports a sane platform doesn't seem like a bother, rather more like like a much needed kick to my rear.

HollyforRP
02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I think when they say "rent his list", the "renter" is not actually getting the list, Ron Paul's staff is just sending the letters on behalf of the "renter". I don't think they "sold" our information to anyone.

How the hell is a list rented? What do they do? Do they fax the list and then say "Okay you, give back the list!?"

ronpaulyourmom
02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
How the hell is a list rented? What do they do? Do they fax the list and then say "Okay you, give back the list!?"

The list is likely part of a database, and the database is probably organized in such a way that you can send out emails based on certain criteria, such as the state associated with the email. It's conceivable that they would simply provide temporary, limited access to the database's interface that would have some mechanism built in to send out emails without actually revealing them to the user.

The "renting" aspect may be less about money and more about legal coverage in the case of any scandalous behavior. For example they may be renting out a list that is worth tens of thousands of dollars for a mere $1000 or something like that.

We could speculate about many things, frankly I'm not upset about it so...

pinkmandy
02-27-2008, 10:34 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think Paul knows very well that we would do anything for him, this movement. He's always said it isn't about him, it's a movement. It only makes sense he'd send out emails for like minds and you know others have to be so jealous he has that POWER *us*. He knows most of us would take a bullet for him so I doubt he thought some would get all pissy over an email.

hyoomen
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Strange how easygoing many people are about this when it contrast so significantly to a value of individual sovereignty and privacy.

Yes, I want to read emails from the campaign (in spite of them seemingly being rarely written by Congressman Paul himself as of late).

Yes, I probably even want to hear about similar candidates and initiatives that need action.

Do I expect at least the common courtesy of somebody asking? Yes. We're fighting for liberty -- for the ability to choose one's own path.

It's not the end of the world, but not expressing my concern over the principle (of such a principled man) is akin to endorsing the action.

torchbearer
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Strange how easygoing many people are about this when it contrast so significantly to a value of individual sovereignty and privacy.

Yes, I want to read emails from the campaign (in spite of them seemingly being rarely written by Congressman Paul himself as of late).

Yes, I probably even want to hear about similar candidates and initiatives that need action.

Do I expect at least the common courtesy of somebody asking? Yes. We're fighting for liberty -- for the ability to choose one's own path.

It's not the end of the world, but not expressing my concern over the principle (of such a principled man) is akin to endorsing the action.

Yes, and its such a terrible slippery slope that it threatens to destroy the country that has already been destroyed by the pirates who are pillaging our pocketbooks. such a travesty.

sidster
02-27-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't believe people are crying about the email stuff. If it bothers you so much then take about 5 seconds and press the "marked as spam" button

Could I kindly have your personal email address please? There are a few
worthy email lists I would like to subscribe you to. I am sure being such
an open minded sport, you would appreciate this gesture.

Feel free to either post it here in this thread and/or PM me at your earliest
convenience.

I thank you for this consideration.

read: Talk is cheap. I want to see you man-up on this right now. Show me your
email address.

torchbearer
02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Could I kindly have your personal email address please? There are a few
worthy email lists I would like to subscribe you to. I am sure being such
an open minded sport, you would appreciate this gesture.

Feel free to either post it here in this thread and/or PM me at your earliest
convenience.

I thank you for this consideration.

read: Talk is cheap. I want to see you man-up on this right now. Show me your
email address.

Which is exactly the same thing that is going on here... your email being sold to the highest bidder without care.. :rolleyes:

Ron Paul personally speaks on the phone with anyone he endorses.

ionlyknowy
02-27-2008, 11:34 PM
I really hope that they utilize the list forever.

I want to know which presidential candidate to vote for in the future and I cannot always be so active on ronpaulforums.com

So this will be really good for next election cycle in 4 years. Then we can double maybe triple our size... and if that doesnt work then another 4 years, until we have the whole country on a liberty email list!

sidster
02-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I really hope that they utilize the list forever.

I want to know which presidential candidate to vote for in the future and I cannot always be so active on ronpaulforums.com

So this will be really good for next election cycle in 4 years. Then we can double maybe triple our size... and if that doesnt work then another 4 years, until we have the whole country on a liberty email list!

Hey man... just tune to Fox News. They'll tell you all you need to know.
Tell you who to vote for. What products to buy, which to avoid. They'll
sometimes even given you stock tips! :thumbs up:

Sheeple!

parke
02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Ron Paul is no fool. I proudly support him and like minded candidates. Wait until you see my local GOP in a year.. or two or the next election.

I admit, Im on a learning curve.

Note the word 'learning'.

sidster
02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Ron Paul is no fool. I proudly support him and like minded candidates. Wait until you see my local GOP in a year.. or two or the next election.

I admit, Im on a learning curve.

Note the word 'learning'.

I would say part of the learning should've been emphasis on how
to think for yourself and not blindly accept and follow others and
what they tell you ...

1. read.
2. research.
3. think.
4. debate.
5. make decision.
6. evaluate decision and consequences
7. repeat.

Highland
02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
God Bless Walter Jones! and Long May Ron Paul Run!

ksuguy
02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't mind getting solicitations from like minded candidates if Ron thinks they are worth considering. I can evaluate them individually and see if I want to help them. I'm thinking of sending Murray Sabrin a small donation. His people sent me a snail mail letter and gave me a phone call. Getting that anti-gun douchebag Lautenberg out of the senate would be a great thing.

I also got a call from another PAC a few days ago, but I'm not sure if it was Ron Paul related or not. They seemed like a general GOP organization hitting me up for money. I was half asleep and not really in the mood to talk.

affa
02-28-2008, 01:54 AM

You are correct that there should have been an 'opt in'.

But there wasn't.

And since there wasn't, I'd rather Dr. Paul carefully use the list to further the movement in every way possible than go 'whoops' we forgot to have an opt in/out so now we can't help out the good guys.

It's a non-issue to me - I've donated to both of Dr. Paul's campaigns (his presidential campaign a half dozen times) and haven't gotten any non-Paul emails. But even if I did, it's not something that would bother me.

golfboy
02-28-2008, 02:12 AM
i'm fine with ron paul promoting other like minded canidates. If we can get say...5 people in congress to follow the strict consitutionalist position of ron paul, we could wreak havoc when some nasty bill like the patriot act comes up.

idiom
02-28-2008, 02:19 AM
Ron Paul is running for Congress. The Whole Congress.

JohnnyWrath
02-28-2008, 02:44 AM
We are trying to take back our government, and some people are mad because of an email or two? sigh

RonPaulFanInGA
02-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Walter Jones, Jr. is someone who hasn't gotten enough of our attention. He's conservative, against the Iraq war and endorsed Ron Paul for president. He's in a tight race (currently leading 44-41 last I saw) against a republican primary challenger who's main point against Jones seems to only be a picture of him shaking Cindy Sheehan's hand. It's a moderate district, so if Jones loses the republican primary it's almost certainly going to go democratic.

sidster
02-28-2008, 03:08 AM
We are trying to take back our government, and some people are mad because of an email or two? sigh

Hey man... the current administration is trying to protect the
whole country and all of its citizens... you and me included! You are
really upset about a few Patriot Acts and losing a few of your liberties
in this time of crisis?

I know a "true" patriot wouldn't be bitching about any of that stuff...

That's sarcasm if you didn't get it.

cayton
02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
How can anyone be against this? THIS is how to accomplish what we want.

Paul owns a list of everyone across the country who has given to a pro liberty candidate in the last few years. It makes perfect sense to use that information to spread the message that people donated to originally. He's not selling our name to credit card companies, he's using it to build a voting bloc that can actually influence something.

If you dont like what the emails say, mark it as spam or just ignore them. I was considering helping walter jones (he's in my district) but the paul email put me over the top. Thats how these things work.

cayton
02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Walter Jones, Jr. is someone who hasn't gotten enough of our attention. He's conservative, against the Iraq war and endorsed Ron Paul for president. He's in a tight race (currently leading 44-41 last I saw) against a republican primary challenger who's main point against Jones seems to only be a picture of him shaking Cindy Sheehan's hand. It's a moderate district, so if Jones loses the republican primary it's almost certainly going to go democratic.

Moderate district? I am pretty sure this one had the highest percentage of w voters in the state last election, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of rural farmers here.

wgadget
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Ron Paul: Intelligent, Patriotic and Benevolent