PDA

View Full Version : Who sold our emails?

Agent CSL
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
There have been a few of us getting emails we didn't sign up for. The most logical explanation is someone took a database of emails and sold or gave them to the Sabrin campaign. I received one before I unsubscribed and deleted it, but I wish I still had it to post.

If you don't mind we can have a good shot at finding this out by doing a survey, until someone chirps and admits it was them.
THIS IS NOT TO ACCUSE ANYONE!

1. Are you currently getting or have ever gotten Sabrin emails?
2. Did you sign up to Ron Paul Forums with the email you are getting the spam on?
3. Did you sign up to the official Ron Paul campaign site with the email you are getting the spam on?
4. Did you sign up to November 5 Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?
5. Did you sign up to TeaParty Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?
6. Did you sign up to FreeAtLast Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?
7. Did you sign up to February 2nd Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?
8. Did you sign up to any other campaign-related sites with the email you are getting the spam on?
9. What are those sites?

JSGolfMan's Question: "Are you a member of any meetups or have you recently joined the republican party? You may have been signed up through that method."

To my own knowledge I've only signed up to the RPF, official site and the FreeAtLast money bomb with my email. I used another email for the Tea Party moneybomb and since I no longer trust newsletter sign-ups at all, I stopped signing up period.

RON PAUL FORUM'S ADMIN: "No emails from our database of users will ever be given out or sold."

nate895
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I only have RPF and the official campaign, but I don't get the spam, so it is probably free at last people.

JoshLowry
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
No emails from our database of users will ever be given out or sold.

Jeremy
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Nothing was "sold"

If they were given away... well let me just say, I have not gotten anything that I have never signed up for

Agora
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I only have RPF and the official campaign, but I don't get the spam, so it is probably free at last people.

and not getting any ...

jsgolfman
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you a member of any meetups or have you recently joined the republican party? You may have been signed up through that method.

PauliticsPolitics
02-27-2008, 06:39 PM
since i am not getting Sabrin emails, i will answer the questions this way, to show which sites appear to be ruled out as sellers.

no

2. Did you sign up to Ron Paul Forums?
yes

3. Did you sign up to the official Ron Paul campaign site?
yes

4. Did you sign up to November 5 Moneybomb?
no

5. Did you sign up to TeaParty Moneybomb?
no

6. Did you sign up to FreeAtLast Moneybomb?
no

7. Did you sign up to February 2nd Moneybomb?
no

8. Did you sign up to any other campaign-related sites?
yes

9. What are those sites?
ron paul war room

Agent CSL
02-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Are you a member of any meetups or have you recently joined the republican party? You may have been signed up through that method.
I did put my email on the Republican sheet at the caucus. But I'd find it weird to be getting emails from only Sabrin, especially when he's not even in my state.

Meetup doesn't give out people's emails but if there was a dataminer catching every email sent to and from the Meetup-designated email, possible. Does anyone know how likely that would be?

Razmear
02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Ron Paul is starting to give like-minded candidates a taste of the political gold he discovered on the Internet by lending his endorsement and renting out his donor list.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20080227/pl_cq_politics/politics2677795_2

HollyforRP
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
hmmm...something seems fishy about all of this. I am starting to wonder if this is another divide and conquer routine.

(read the article and can't say I trust that it is true. Something else is going on)

Agent CSL
02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Ron Paul is starting to give like-minded candidates a taste of the political gold he discovered on the Internet by lending his endorsement and renting out his donor list.

*blinks* :(

Agent CSL
02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
hmmm...something seems fishy about all of this. I am starting to wonder if this is another divide and conquer routine.
I am not angry, just curious.

I'm not one to get up in a rage about spam. It's a fact of internet life. :p

nosebruise
02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
just to inject a little more logic into the scenario... just because some place either gives out or sells email addresses, does not mean that they give out their entire database, nor does it mean that the other party decides to, or has the capability of emailing all the email addresses they've been given.

partial lists, or limited technological capability could easily be a reason only a select number of people who may have signed up for the same thing might be getting emails if said place did "donate" or sell email addresses.

its going to make it a lot harder for you guys to try to deduce something, but just though i'd throw that out there.

this is why i have a junk mail account, i get suprisingly little spam on the accounts i actually use. :)

HollyforRP
02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I am not angry, just curious.

I'm not one to get up in a rage about spam. It's a fact of internet life. :p

Well if it is true and Ron Paul did lend out the donation list, hmm okay. I don't agree with that method but I'm not sure if I can trust the media right now considering how hard they've tried to put Ron Paul down. It's really nothing new to lend out donor lists or list of voters.

gerryb
02-27-2008, 07:08 PM
I signed up at MurraySabrin.com and I DIDN'T get any e-mail. What the heck!!

Fields
02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I really don't have a problem with Sabrin sending an email here or there. but the guys' campaign are like spammers. It's really irritating.

Penners
02-27-2008, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=tangent4ronpaul;1306177]just a FYI:

This is a sticky on the Ron Paul For President Group at MySpace:

EMAIL SENT OUT BY:
Maureen Moore, WA State Coordinator to

Do not give your information to Ultimateronpaul.com.

This website is owned by Richard Viguerie, a notorious data miner who made his fortune off of the Goldwater List from the 60's. He sees nothing but gold in Ron Paul, and not in the way that you or I may respect. Be wary of this site and alert others about it.

Chibioz
02-27-2008, 07:15 PM
i haven't received any emails from sabrin

Fields
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
i haven't received any emails from sabrin

Check your spam/junk folder.

brandon
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
A question to the people Not receiving SabrinSpam, have you donated to the Paul campaign?

here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1310864&postcount=74) is the header on the emails. They appear to be originating at maxdonor.com

Chibioz
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
checked junk, nothing. i've donated to congressional and presidential campaigns and have been signed up to tons of different ron paul lists.

Kludge
02-27-2008, 07:31 PM

No

2. Did you sign up to Ron Paul Forums with the email you are getting the spam on?

Yes

3. Did you sign up to the official Ron Paul campaign site with the email you are getting the spam on?

Yes

4. Did you sign up to November 5 Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?

Yes

5. Did you sign up to TeaParty Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?

Yes

6. Did you sign up to FreeAtLast Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?

No

7. Did you sign up to February 2nd Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on?

No

8. Did you sign up to any other campaign-related sites with the email you are getting the spam on?

No

9. What are those sites?

x

Extra Credit: A question to the people Not receiving SabrinSpam, have you donated to the Paul campaign?

Yes

HollyforRP
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
(edited)

Penners posted the article giving information. No more speculation

MRoCkEd
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
im on like all of those lists and i donated but i didnt get any sabrin stuff

Penners
02-27-2008, 08:53 PM

Back to Story - Help
Ron Paul Sharing The Political Wealth With Like-Minded Candidates By Jonathan Allen, CQ Staff
Wed Feb 27, 6:27 PM ET

A previously little-known Texas congressman with a libertarian bent, Paul had raised $32 million for his quixotic bid for the Republican presidential nomination through the end of January, a figure that dwarfed the totals of several Democratic and Republican candidates who began the race with much higher profiles.

He created an online sensation with his platform of limited government, expansive individual liberties and withdrawal from Iraq and international organizations. More than $6 million came into his coffers on a single day in December through a "moneybomb" Internet fundraising effort.

That haul of cash has not translated into victory in primaries or caucuses, but it has built a political base for Paul -- and, perhaps more important, a donor list -- that would be the envy of any incumbent or challenger. (Paul, by the way, faces a primary challenger of his own in Texas on Tuesday).

Murray Sabrin, a New Jersey Senate candidate who has been endorsed by Paul, is expecting a "moneybomb" from his own backers and Paul's this Friday. Sabrin has raised $194,260 since launching his campaign last month, according to a calculator on his Web site.

"We're working hard to cultivate his previous donors and Murray's previous donors and donors across the country," said Sabrin consultant Adam Alonso.

Republican Rep. Walter B. Jones, a fellow Iraq war critic who faces a tough primary challenge in North Carolina coastal 3rd District, has rented access to Paul's list of donors in the state.

But Paul's imprimatur was not limited to the list itself: He sent out an e-mail soliciting help for Jones last week.

Jones said he already has raised about $5,000 from Paul supporters, which is not an insubstantial figure in a relatively inexpensive market. Jones had raised $192,185 through the end of December, and his rival for the GOP nomination, Joe McLaughlin, had collected $78,278.

Paul says lending a hand to his friends is old hat but acknowledges it's a bigger hat these days.

"I've been helping people for a long time. Nothing new about it," he said during a brief interview in the Capitol on Tuesday. "The degree might be different but the principle's the same."

Paul's presidential spokesman said the campaign is still in the process of figuring out how best to make full use of its massive list of campaign donors.

"A likely use would be to help candidates for office who are running on a constitutionalist platform," Jesse Benton said. "It will go to a good use."

Though Paul is winding down his presidential bid as he focuses on winning re-election A-A--- he also has rented his donor list to his own congressional campaign -- he wants to have an impact on the direction of his party.

One way to do that is to aid the campaigns of colleagues and congressional challengers who share his outlook on politics.

"We put together a movement and that movement is going to continue," Benton said.

Copyright © 2008 Congressional Quarterly Inc.

Copyright © 2007 Yahoo All rights reserved.Copyright/IP Policy |Terms of Service |Help |Feedback
NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site. To learn more about how we use your information, see our» Privacy

torchbearer
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Ron Paul has stated he will do whatever he can to help endorsed candidates.
So his campaign may be allowing access to their donor list.

Agent CSL
02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
K that sounds reasonable and likely.

bcreps85
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Pretty sure I read a news article today that said something about Ron Paul giving mailing lists and things to candidates he endorses.

I think this is fair and good for our cause, because it will help us learn about other people to support like Murray Sabrin, Jim Forsythe, and several others who are great candidates whose names escape me. No offense, just bad with names...but I can picture all of you! :)

pacelli
02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
1. Are you currently getting or have ever gotten Sabrin emails? Yes
2. Did you sign up to Ron Paul Forums with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes
3. Did you sign up to the official Ron Paul campaign site with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes
4. Did you sign up to November 5 Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes
5. Did you sign up to TeaParty Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes
6. Did you sign up to FreeAtLast Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes
7. Did you sign up to February 2nd Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes
8. Did you sign up to any other campaign-related sites with the email you are getting the spam on? Ron Paul for Congress
9. What are those sites?

JSGolfMan's Question: "Are you a member of any meetups or have you recently joined the republican party? You may have been signed up through that method."

Yes GOP and meetups.

robert4rp08
02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not getting Sabrin emails and I've signed up for every money bomb, and with the campaign as a volunteer and precinct leader.

LibertyEagle
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm not getting them either.

pilby
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
no Sabrin emails here

i have signed up with the campaign, donated to the campaign, joined meetup, joined GOP lists, and subscribed on Nov 5th, Nov 11th, and Tea Party.

oh... and i'm also signed up for campaign updates from both Huckabee and McCain.

Mark
02-28-2008, 12:52 PM
One not mentioned,

The "FiveForFreedom" email list from Trevor Lyman is now called the "BreakTheMatrix" list

josh24601
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I've been getting an insanely annoying amount. Both from the Sabrin campaign and random people who think I care what they think.

Since I've only used that email vis-a-vis Ron Paul for this forum, precinct captain, and donating, I'm positive it's people using the precinct captain contacts. Considering you can see the emails of the other captains around you, and the coordinators can see a large amount, I'll bet anything people are giving those emails to Sabrin to use, and using them themselves to yack about Ron Paul as if we all care what they think is important to be doing at any given moment.

In other words, it's not "official" or we'd all get the same thing, like the RP messages.

Jesubub
02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
1. Are you currently getting or have ever gotten Sabrin emails? Yes
2. Did you sign up to Ron Paul Forums with the email you are getting the spam on? No
3. Did you sign up to the official Ron Paul campaign site with the email you are getting the spam on? Yes (grassroots)
4. Did you sign up to November 5 Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? No
5. Did you sign up to TeaParty Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? No
6. Did you sign up to FreeAtLast Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? No
7. Did you sign up to February 2nd Moneybomb with the email you are getting the spam on? No
8. Did you sign up to any other campaign-related sites with the email you are getting the spam on? No
9. What are those sites? n/a

I bitched out the guy who sent the Sabrin email because he listed all recipients in the "To:" field so everyone had access to the other 90 email addresses.

xRedfoxx
02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it's Trevor.

newyearsrevolution08
02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
when will anyone learn to ALWAYS setup a new email address for various things that might have a spam problem.

If seeing a "you've got mail" in your email box that unnerving for some people then I suggest you get off the net lol, you will be getting this "junk mail" online just like we have been getting for YEARS offline in our snail mail boxes.

It happens and will continue happening. I did read that thing with ron paul renting it out to ron paul candidates as far as the donor list goes and it going to a good cause BUT is that really in the donation tos???? If not then ron paul would be doing something VERY illegal I would assume.

Does it say "we have the right to lease, lend or sell all information submitted"????? if not then I think we need to make sure ron paul is actually the one renting the "donor list" itself or if that info is coming from outside sources.

torchbearer
02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Ron Paul has stated he will do whatever he can to help endorsed candidates.
So his campaign may be allowing access to their donor list.

:cool:

kigol
02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
ohh

UziSprayTF
02-28-2008, 04:41 PM
no

2. Did you sign up to Ron Paul Forums?
yes

3. Did you sign up to the official Ron Paul campaign site?
not with that email

4. Did you sign up to November 5 Moneybomb?
no

5. Did you sign up to TeaParty Moneybomb?
not with that email

6. Did you sign up to FreeAtLast Moneybomb?
no

7. Did you sign up to February 2nd Moneybomb?
not with that email

8. Did you sign up to any other campaign-related sites?
yes

9. What are those sites?
Liberty Island
Book Bomb
Letter to Ron Paul

10. Have you gotten any other unsolicited email?
Yes, conservativehq.com

jacobin
02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
There have been a few of us getting emails we didn't sign up for. The most logical explanation is someone took a database of emails and sold or gave them to the Sabrin campaign. I received one before I unsubscribed and deleted it, but I wish I still had it to post.

I don't understand the exact problem?

Ron sent out an email to thousands of people for Murray's Money Bomb.

If you want, send me the email you received and I can track it down.

jacobin
02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I've been getting an insanely annoying amount. Both from the Sabrin campaign and random people who think I care what they think.

Since I've only used that email vis-a-vis Ron Paul for this forum, precinct captain, and donating, I'm positive it's people using the precinct captain contacts. Considering you can see the emails of the other captains around you, and the coordinators can see a large amount, I'll bet anything people are giving those emails to Sabrin to use, and using them themselves to yack about Ron Paul as if we all care what they think is important to be doing at any given moment.

In other words, it's not "official" or we'd all get the same thing, like the RP messages.
I personally have no idea who is sending the emails -- but I am completely for it. You can easily unsubscribe. The Revolution started because of Ron Paul but Murray Sabrin is an election we can win.

Tell me, what is more important right now than electing a U.S. Senator as the first Ron Paul Republican? It is more important than campaigning for National Delegates at this point. It's only math and it's all about fighting the battles we can win.

Ron himself sent out an email for Murray and everyone here will likely be getting another email tomorrow from Trevor about Murray.

Chibioz
02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't receive any of the "Message from Ron" emails (i think there were 2?) that were supporting Sabrin. Is that from being subscribed to Sabrin's mailing list?