PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul + Linux: the website COMPLETED!

mkeller
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Here, folks: - the long awaited website comparing Ron Paul and Linux!

ht tp://www.tux4pa ul.org/

Now we've got to decide whether or not it's too late for it to be of any real use in convincing people; and if not, how to spread its popularity!

(and do you think I should add a hit counter, or no?)

Soccrmastr
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
why didnt you just link normal? u dont need to break the link for a supporters site noob..... just when we spams polls etc.

on the site:

I like it a lot, but cut back on the M$ bashing. 1.) Ron Paul is a free market capitalist and wouldnt do anything to stop Microsoft from legitimate business practices. 2.) no hit counter (good) 3.) some of it is not aligned correctly in firefox
3.) everything else is great!

mkeller
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, at first I was going to do it normally, but then I decided to break it, since, when you Google the name of the site, the top thing that comes up is the thread where we discussed what should be on the site, and if people do a search for it, and find a thread with all of us talking about how to promote it, it might turn people off. Maybe it's just paranoia on my part. Not that it really matters. :)

dannno
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
"The main enemy of Linux, is of course, Microsoft. Microsoft hates genuinely free, open-source software - it’s a threat to their business. And because Linux is the most prominent open-source project, it is upon Linux that most of their devices are focused."

Could you be more specific or re-word this part?

I sent it to one of my buddies at MS and he didn't understand what you were trying to say.

szczebrzeszyn
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
1. "The other is an open-source operating system from Finland, running on thousands of computers worldwide."

Well, the kernel is from Finland (or rather origins from Finland, because it's been developed around the world since years), not the whole OS.

2. "The Linux kernel is merely one of thousands of software packages, comprising the GNU Project. "

No, the GNU project 'merged' with Linux, because their kernel was not finished (well, it's kinda not finished to this very day). That's why it's called GNU/Linux and not GNU. But Linux is not a part of GNU as you somehow suggest later on. Any btw, I think GNU provides only a set of essential tools for the basis of the distribution, but like 95% or more software in any modern Linux distro is not part of the GNU.

3. The main enemy of Linux, is of course, Microsoft.

Of course, IT'S NOT. It maybe me an enemy for some Linux fan boys, but not for the Linux in itself. It was never meant to be a competition. Now, maybe some for-profit Linux companies see Microsoft as an enemy, but you can't say that about Linux. It's not a company or something.

Anyway, this anti-MS stuff is really boring, seen thousands of times etc. You should cut it out.

And now the funny part - I'm sure Ron Paul uses MS Windows and so does his whole crew (maybe except some tech guys) :D

mkeller
02-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Some good points, folks! I'll fix those things, once I figure out how best to word it. And I've got to add in a thing at the bottom about how this isn't endorsed by any candidate, etc . . .

And if any of you think that you could do a better job of it, feel free to rewrite the article and submit it to me - this one was pretty much just a quick hack. ;)

terlinguatx
02-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Shed
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Ron needs his own distro of linux. Can someone create let's say "Ronux"?

The point being?

nullvalu
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
The point being?

Loaded out the butt with anonymity tools... security & encryption tools.. hmm.. What else?

BTW, if you're running linux, I'd highly recommend checking out Tor (http://www.torproject.org/), to remain anonymous on the 'net.

mcgraw_wv
02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
This is funny... and too perfect...

Just like Linux, the Main stream populace wants nothing to do with it... and here we are comparing our candidate with it.

Look I know all you uber guys out there are just in love with Linux, and the idea of non-mainstream support ideas, but in order for change, you have to appeal to the mainstream. Just like linux, there is no appeal to the mainstream, only uber fan boy computer people...

I know you hate windows, and the evil microsoft, but they give the people what they want... and for that you have to give them credit, easy to use and operate software...

We need to learn from that and turn Ron Pauls message into an EASY to understand message that any one can relate too.

mcgraw_wv
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
"The main enemy of Linux, is of course, Microsoft. Microsoft hates genuinely free, open-source software - it’s a threat to their business. And because Linux is the most prominent open-source project, it is upon Linux that most of their devices are focused."

Could you be more specific or re-word this part?

I sent it to one of my buddies at MS and he didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Becuase it's just paranoid fantasism...

Windows couls care less about Linux... NO ONE wants it on a large scale... Why would an OS that no one wants to use be a threat to MS... they could care less.

It's simply the MicroSoft delusion that all fan boys have... They aren't the evil Empire, Bill Gates is not Emperor Palpatine, and they aren't doing everything they can to put you down.

They are delivering a product that My mom can use, that my sister can use. While these fan boys think computers should be hard to use, and that people enjoy having a Kernal that you can modify... Sure some people do... the whole whopping 1% of computer users out there... while the rest of the mainstream enjoys and uses Microsoft Products.

nullvalu
02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
This is funny... and too perfect...

Just like Linux, the Main stream populace wants nothing to do with it... and here we are comparing our candidate with it.

Look I know all you uber guys out there are just in love with Linux, and the idea of non-mainstream support ideas, but in order for change, you have to appeal to the mainstream. Just like linux, there is no appeal to the mainstream, only uber fan boy computer people...

I know you hate windows, and the evil microsoft, but they give the people what they want... and for that you have to give them credit, easy to use and operate software...

We need to learn from that and turn Ron Pauls message into an EASY to understand message that any one can relate too.

The past 5-6 years of linux has been concentrated heavily on making it a mainstream platform and they have made huge advancements.

Even as a "uber" geek programmer, I gave up on linux as my main platform about 4 years ago due to headaches. About 6 months ago I gave it another try and I don't think I'll ever go back to MS, they've made so many improvements it's not even funny. :D

EDIT: I should mention, I have nothing against MS. OP: I think you should tone down the anti-MS rhetoric on your site, it's just not necessary. In fact, even as a linux "fan boy" (LOL), I make my living by developing on the Windows platform & using MS tools.

mcgraw_wv
02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
The past 5-6 years of linux has been concentrated heavily on making it a mainstream platform and they have made huge advancements.

Even as a "uber" geek programmer, I gave up on linux as my main platform about 4 years ago due to headaches. About 6 months ago I gave it another try and I don't think I'll ever go back to MS, they've made so many improvements it's not even funny. :D

And you are an Uber Computer guy... I'm glad you enjoy it...

nullvalu
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
And you are an Uber Computer guy... I'm glad you enjoy it...

Honestly, I think anyone who's had a couple years of experience with computers could run linux. It's really not that complicated anymore. My wife is not at all a computer person, but she has linux on her computer. All she really uses it for is browsing the net and using office apps. Firefox & Open Office is really all she needs. Since this is the majority of what most people do on computers, I don't see why more people don't just give it a try. I'd recommend download one of those Live CD's just to try it out & see what you think.

Here's a link to my favorite distro: openSuSE 10.3 Live CD (http://news.opensuse.org/2007/11/02/opensuse-103-live-version-available/), I'd recommend the KDE version over Gnome. Just dowload that file, burn it as an image to a CD, and boot off the CD and you can "test drive" linux without making any changes to your computer's hard drive.

mcgraw_wv
02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I've used it, I see everyday...

It's great for computer people... everyday people don't care that much about what OS they use, they know what they use at work, and school, and they want that too.

Notice Graphic designers all have Macs, it's what they use at work, they end up buying one for home.

Linux is a horrible sell to corporations, who's there to fix a security flaw when there is one? The open source communitty??? Yeah tell that to the person who's job is on the line that the Communitty didn't release a bug fix yet... Or the need to run a myriad of software for business...

Linux needs a face, a company that can actively support and market it, and find away to run all Windows apps on it without any drawbacks.

Find a way to get companies to use it, and you will see it trickle into home use...

mcgraw_wv
02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I simply get bored with the Anti-MS stuff I hear becuase they make a product everyone wants... It's the number one OS and Browser... no wonder why there are so many more virsuses for it, why spend time writing a virus for something 1 percent of people use, and chances are those people have no money in their bank accounts anyways so why steal their identity... ;)

All the problems that people have for MS, are the same reasons why everyone hates the New England Patriots... You hate whos on top and you want to see them fall...

And once MS falls, someone else will take their place, and thge hate will move to them... America has a hard time admitting success of others becuase we feel that since we can't do it, they shoulnd't either... it's success envy, and everyone has it...

Want to know why Everyone wanted to See the pats lose, becuase it wasn't their team about to make history... And if their team can't make history, they don't want anyone else too... I for one would have love to be able to say, back in 2007, I saw one of the greatest teams even in the NFL...

LEK
02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
This may be lame - I'm just a computer system challenged grunt - but...I can't read the links on the left 'cause they're in blue. Another color perhaps?

TY

szczebrzeszyn
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I simply get bored with the Anti-MS stuff I hear becuase they make a product everyone wants... It's the number one OS and Browser...

No, they make the only product widely available in shops, preinstalled, available in your company or school. (Everyday) People simply have NO choice. I'm a Linux user and I HAD to buy windows with my new notebook, even though the first thing I did was removing it for good. It's the number one OS in sales and the number one Browser, because 70% of folks have no clue there are other browsers/oses. It's THAT simple.

Lots of people think computer == a machine+windows and the door to Internet == a blue 'e' icon on their desktop. They think the OS they use is some kind of essential part of the PC. They don't call it a software, but a computer.

But fortunately, the browsers market changes rapidly and IE loses big time every month. As a webdeveloper I can't be more than happy, because IE is the biggest web shit used nowadays as a web browser. Ask any webdev. We have to spend A LOT more time just so that our projects could run under the shitty 'number one browser Internet Exploder 6'. And that's the only thing that concerns me about MS (I really wish they abandoned their browser department and left the job to Apple, Opera and Mozilla - at least they know how to do it)

kpitcher
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
While I"ll agree Linux is good stuff, I think BSD licensing is more on par with libertarian principles.

Do with the code as you want, not forcing others to share their work.

But since post is looking like it belongs on /., I expect someone to say 'but BSD is dead' ;)

Shed
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Becuase it's just paranoid fantasism...
Windows couls care less about Linux... NO ONE wants it on a large scale... Why would an OS that no one wants to use be a threat to MS... they could care less.

The New York Stock Exchange runs Linux and AIX.

Tdcci
02-28-2008, 01:24 PM
It's the number one OS and Browser... no wonder why there are so many more virsuses for it, why spend time writing a virus for something 1 percent of people use, and chances are those people have no money in their bank accounts anyways so why steal their identity... ;)

That's part of it, but until Vista Windows makes the default user an Administrator, and programs are built to assume the user is an Administrator.

pcosmar
02-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I simply get bored with the Anti-MS stuff I hear becuase they make a product everyone wants... It's the number one OS and Browser... no wonder why there are so many more virsuses for it, why spend time writing a virus for something 1 percent of people use, and chances are those people have no money in their bank accounts anyways so why steal their identity... ;)

All the problems that people have for MS, are the same reasons why everyone hates the New England Patriots... You hate whos on top and you want to see them fall...

And once MS falls, someone else will take their place, and thge hate will move to them... America has a hard time admitting success of others becuase we feel that since we can't do it, they shoulnd't either... it's success envy, and everyone has it...

Want to know why Everyone wanted to See the pats lose, becuase it wasn't their team about to make history... And if their team can't make history, they don't want anyone else too... I for one would have love to be able to say, back in 2007, I saw one of the greatest teams even in the NFL...

I am not an Uber-Geek. I bought my first computer in 2003. It came with Win-XP, after a year of cleaning crap out and buying security software, I installed Linux.
I have not had a bit of trouble since.

I object to the EULA most of all. Most folks never read it, I did.
As far as it not being used, well lookie here. http://www.linux.org/info/linux_govt.html

My personal story. http://jamadots.com/~pcosmar/

My choice in system. http://www.pclinuxos.com/

gregb
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
I think Ron Paul's message is better compared to FOSS (free open source software) - just like Dr Paul says about how if there are no government programs to look after the needy that the need will be filled by individuals, civic-minded corporations,, etc - FOSS was developed by many contributors in general without regard to profit but with the good of the community in mind.

I think that the comparison to FOSS is perhaps more relevant than Ron Paul to Linux. Regardless, good going.

mdh
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Here, folks: - the long awaited website comparing Ron Paul and Linux!

ht tp://www.tux4paul.org/

Now we've got to decide whether or not it's too late for it to be of any real use in convincing people; and if not, how to spread its popularity!

(and do you think I should add a hit counter, or no?)

Indeed, some of the site doesn't line up right for me in seamonkey on FreeBSD. :)

As far as a hit counter, I've always found them tacky. Roll out some log analysis tools on your apache logs instead if you're really curious. ;)

mdh
02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
It's the number one OS and Browser...

In the same way that John McCain is the number one Republican.

(oooh... burn!)

mkeller
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, I've made the changes you all suggested! Have a look at it again. I've removed all the inaccuracies (I hope), and replaced the MS bashing with some nicer stuff. And changed the link colors to green. :)

And szczebrzeszyn, I know for a fact that Ron Paul himself uses Windows (you can see the WinXP logo screensaver on the monitor behind him in the video where he announces the march on Washington). But he stands for many of the same things as the Linux community . . . ;)

nullvalu
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I know for a fact that Ron Paul himself uses Windows (you can see the WinXP logo screensaver on the monitor behind him in the video where he announces the march on Washington).

Maybe he dual boots? :D

VoteForRonPaul
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
This is a great post, thank you!
There is another operating system called Solaris, it appears to be free. Anybody knows anything about it?
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp

mkeller
02-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that Solaris is the operating system used on most servers/mainframes/supercomputers. And it is open-source, too! By the way, there are actually a lot of free operating systems out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems#Nonproprietary_Unix-like), though most of them are in limited use . . .

But about this website - what would be the best way to publicize it? Do you think it's too late for it to have much effect? And is there anything I ought to change/add, yet? Thanks for your ideas!

FrankRep
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.tux4paul.org/

kigol
02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Loaded out the butt with anonymity tools... security & encryption tools.. hmm.. What else?

BTW, if you're running linux, I'd highly recommend checking out Tor (http://www.torproject.org/), to remain anonymous on the 'net.

you mean like BackTrack?