PDA

View Full Version : Should we be worried about Skynet going online!?

Uriel999
02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
h ttp://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080227111811.y9syyq8p&show_article=1

Increasingly autonomous, gun-totting robots developed for warfare could easily fall into the hands of terrorists and may one day unleash a robot arms race, a top expert on artificial intelligence told AFP.
"They pose a threat to humanity," said University of Sheffield professor Noel Sharkey ahead of a keynote address Wednesday before Britain's Royal United Services Institute.

Intelligent machines deployed on battlefields around the world -- from mobile grenade launchers to rocket-firing drones -- can already identify and lock onto targets without human help.

There are more than 4,000 US military robots on the ground in Iraq, as well as unmanned aircraft that have clocked hundreds of thousands of flight hours.

The first three armed combat robots fitted with large-caliber machine guns deployed to Iraq last summer, manufactured by US arms maker Foster-Miller, proved so successful that 80 more are on order, said Sharkey.

But up to now, a human hand has always been required to push the button or pull the trigger.

It we are not careful, he said, that could change.

Military leaders "are quite clear that they want autonomous robots as soon as possible, because they are more cost-effective and give a risk-free war," he said.

Several countries, led by the United States, have already invested heavily in robot warriors developed for use on the battlefield.

South Korea and Israel both deploy armed robot border guards, while China, India, Russia and Britain have all increased the use of military robots.

Washington plans to spend four billion dollars by 2010 on unmanned technology systems, with total spending expected rise to 24 billion, according to the Department of Defense's Unmanned Systems Roadmap 2007-2032, released in December.

James Canton, an expert on technology innovation and CEO of the Institute for Global Futures, predicts that deployment within a decade of detachments that will include 150 soldiers and 2,000 robots.

The use of such devices by terrorists should be a serious concern, said Sharkey.

Captured robots would not be difficult to reverse engineer, and could easily replace suicide bombers as the weapon-of-choice. "I don't know why that has not happened already," he said.

But even more worrisome, he continued, is the subtle progression from the semi-autonomous military robots deployed today to fully independent killing machines.

"I have worked in artificial intelligence for decades, and the idea of a robot making decisions about human termination terrifies me," Sharkey said.

Ronald Arkin of Georgia Institute of Technology, who has worked closely with the US military on robotics, agrees that the shift towards autonomy will be gradual.

But he is not convinced that robots don't have a place on the front line.

"Robotics systems may have the potential to out-perform humans from a perspective of the laws of war and the rules of engagement," he told a conference on technology in warfare at Stanford University last month.

The sensors of intelligent machines, he argued, may ultimately be better equipped to understand an environment and to process information. "And there are no emotions that can cloud judgement, such as anger," he added.

Nor is there any inherent right to self-defence.

For now, however, there remain several barriers to the creation and deployment of Terminator-like killing machines.

Some are technical. Teaching a computer-driven machine -- even an intelligent one -- how to distinguish between civilians and combatants, or how to gauge a proportional response as mandated by the Geneva Conventions, is simply beyond the reach of artificial intelligence today.

But even if technical barriers are overcome, the prospect of armies increasingly dependent on remotely-controlled or autonomous robots raises a host of ethical issues that have barely been addressed.

Arkin points out that the US Department of Defense's 230 billion dollar Future Combat Systems programme -- the largest military contract in US history -- provides for three classes of aerial and three land-based robotics systems.

"But nowhere is there any consideration of the ethical implications of the weaponisation of these systems," he said.

For Sharkey, the best solution may be an outright ban on autonomous weapons systems. "We have to say where we want to draw the line and what we want to do -- and then get an international agreement," he said.

__________________________________________________ __________

Sorry couldn't help the title, propably a little misleading, but seriously, war without people, robots doing the battles...Autonomous robots as well....I can practically hear the Terminator theme song in my head right now...Honestly, though, this is going to change warfare. I am not sure if this is good or bad for waging wars. Opinions?

familydog
02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Pfft. We have the Terminator as governor of California. I'm not worried.

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Shades of Issac Asimov!

Pauliana
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Its like Real Genius

nullvalu
02-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Defense network computers. New... powerful... hooked into everything, trusted to run it all. They say it got smart, a new order of intelligence. Then it saw all people as a threat, not just the ones on the other side. Decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination.

boggie08
02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
This is very serious. The only reason the French could take the Bastille was that the soldiers would not fire on their own people. If we allow the federal government to automate the military, what will protect us?

cageybee
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
robot wars are coming

kimo
02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
the same as new computer viruses:confused:
scary thought about future.

mmink15
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hasn't anyone in government ever seen Terminator?

But seriously, I never thought this would happen and I'll tell you why. If war becomes impersonal, no one has to worry about speaking out against war because there are no American children dying on the battlefield thus making it easier for the public to open their eyes to the realities of war.
Could this end up being a good thing for the anti-war movement from that perspective?

DealzOnWheelz
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
It may be good for the anti war movement but once they get these robots they will no longer need police to walk the streets.

Every street corner with a robot gaurd; Using them in war is the easy way to get started; once they test them in war and fine tune them they will be policing the streets and using the microwave laser that makes you feel like your on fire on crowds of people "MARCHING ON WASHINGTON IN THE NAME OF LIBERTY"

THIS MEANS THE REVOLUTION MUST HAPPEN QUICKLY BEFORE THESE ROBOTS CAN BE COMPLETED.

This just may be our last oppurtunity to keep our freedom

s35wf
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Everytime ive been on the terminator ride at universal studios; ive ALWAYS gotten that eery feeling that this is what will soon be happening. ALWAYS eery to the point ive felt like screaming out this will happen for REAL soon; but never have.

pcosmar
02-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Shades of Issac Asimov!

This is why the "3 Laws" are so important.

spudea
02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I'll sign up to be the first ROBOCOP!

youngbuck
02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Think about how if robots could eventually replace the majority of our human police force, that would be the perfect way the government to implement a police state on their people. Thank, if they could mass produce a huge number of robocops (that never get tired, hungry, receive no paycheck) and stick one on almost every corner in compact high tech control grid that is becoming todays city. I need to get a gun that focuses EMP blasts at long range to take out robots (2nd amendment right!).

Carl Corey
02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Artificial Intelligence isn't coming anytime soon, the problems that still need to be solved are mind boggling. Robotics is making steady progress but given what a headache it is to make a mechanical puppy walk, imagine the problem of dealing with audio visual feedback.

Exoskeletons will be the next step.

http://dansego.com/matrix/Images/APU_shooting_solo.jpg

Patriot123
02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
...Is this some kind of joke?

pcosmar
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
...Is this some kind of joke?

What robots? No, they're real.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) ? No, it is being developed.
SkyNet is fiction.
This is NOT funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ

The future is coming.

kimo
02-27-2008, 06:11 PM
SkyNet is fiction.
This is NOT funny.

The future is coming.

And this:

Robot wars 'will be a reality within 10 years'
By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 27/02/2008

..The American Department of Defence (DoD) last year published a 25-year plan to spend as £12 billion on robotic air, land and sea systems.

US forces recently deployed the first battlefield robots equipped with automatic weapons in Iraq.

Talon Sword robots are versions of remote-controlled, track-wheeled bomb disposal devices that can be equipped with various weapons including machine guns and rocket launchers. Four are already in use by the 3rd Infantry Division and 80 more are on order...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/27/scirobots127.xml

satchelmcqueen
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
T4 comming soon to a theater...er umm...country near you!

kimo
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
T4 comming soon to a theater...er umm...country near you!

:)..
Go away, you litle spider!!
Honestly, I think is just another propaganda BS. Word terrorist must be in use in everythere..so we won“t forget it.

Patriot123
02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
SkyNet is fiction.
This is NOT funny.

The future is coming.

Meh... I think that governments would at least have some sense of when they're going a bit too far. Even refers to that notion in the end of the article. So I doubt it would ever get that bad. But warfare as we know it might change quite a bit in the coming years. Enough to essentially destroy any form of revolt, per say.

pcosmar
02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Meh... I think that governments would at least have some sense of when they're going a bit too far. .

Have you looked at what "Governments" are doing?

That is the last place I would trust to have any sense.

Patriot123
02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Have you looked at what "Governments" are doing?

That is the last place I would trust to have any sense.

I certainly would. Robots killing off the human race = governments have nothing to rule. And wouldn't governments be killed off, as well, then? I think governments have at least some survival instincts. Don't you?

familydog
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I certainly would. Robots killing off the human race = governments have nothing to rule. And wouldn't governments be killed off, as well, then? I think governments have at least some survival instincts. Don't you?

In some sense I'd agree. But a government will do anything in pursuit of the perfect weapon.