PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS:William F. Buckley Dies

Primbs
02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Conservative William F. Buckley dies.

weslinder
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
One of the greatest conservatives of the post-FDR era. RIP, Mr. Buckley.

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
He did a lot of good to advance the Conservative cause, but I don't know enough about him to say if he was really one of the good guys.

acptulsa
02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
My memory of him is that he was all about advancing the Republican cause even when it wasn't conservative. He wasn't really a big defender of civil liberties, for example.

I'll be far more sad when Bill Moyer dies.

ARealConservative
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
My memory of him is that he was all about advancing the Republican cause even when it wasn't conservative. He wasn't really a big defender of civil liberties, for example.

I'll be far more sad when Bill Moyer dies.

Bill Moyer is an LBJ crony. When this country was given a chance of a lifetime to elect Goldwater, Moyer went to work for the sleazeball Johnson. He went on to serve as the apologist wing of that administration to justify the build up of the Vietnam war.

dawnbt
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Buckley was a member of the Skull and Bones society, spent a year in the CIA, and denounced the John Birch Society as lunatic-fringe fanatics promoting strange and bizarre conspiracy theories, and urged the GOP to purge itself of JBS members.
I'm not understanding the lovefest here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley,_Jr.

Primbs
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
He did promote free market economics and some of his writers at National Review support Ron Paul.

Bradley in DC
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Someone needs to find the Firing Line video from Dr. Paul's 1988 race when he was on the show. Buckley just kept going after him about wanting to get rid of the CIA, etc.

Primbs
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Many of the firing line shows are at the Hoover Institution.

wv@SC
02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Rush was reminiscing about Bill Buckley for the first half hour today

weslinder
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Buckley on the War on Drugs:

http://www.nationalreview.com/12feb96/drug.html

acptulsa
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Bill Moyer is an LBJ crony. When this country was given a chance of a lifetime to elect Goldwater, Moyer went to work for the sleazeball Johnson. He went on to serve as the apologist wing of that administration to justify the build up of the Vietnam war.

That was forty years ago. Take a look at what he's done for us lately. Watch his show and you'll find it's among the very, very few sources of truth on the tube. Some people start out bad and see the light. He certainly seems to be one.

Bradley in DC
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Many of the firing line shows are at the Hoover Institution.

http://hoohila.stanford.edu/firingline/programView.php?programID=1168

Program Number S0769
Title The Libertarian Candidate
PBS Number 1731
Moderator -
Host Buckley, William F. (William Frank), 1925-
Guest(s) 1) Paul, Ron - MD, obstetrician, former Republican Congressman from Texas

Taped on Jan 19, 1988 (New York City, NY)
Broadcast Date Feb 26, 1988
Duration 60 minutes (or hh:mm:ss)
Summary Dr. Paul, a former Republican, is the Libertarian Party‘s candidate for President, and he proves, in this energetic exchange, to be a well-spoken exponent of the libertarian creed. WFB: "As somebody who occasionally calls himself a libertarian, I regret the extent to which the libertarian position is discredited by a kind of reductionism that is simply incompatible with social life. You want to destroy the FBI, for instance. Why?" RP: "Well, we could point out, first, that the first 125 years of this country existed without an FBI. That came about, I believe, during the First World War. The CIA is a really recent phenomenon, 1947." WFB: "Well, we existed 125 years without an airplane, too."

Subject Heading(s) Paul, Ron, 1935-
Presidential candidates -- United States.
Libertarianism.
Related Document(s) Type(s): News releases, photos
Type(s): Transcript
Type(s): Research materials
Type(s): Transcript
Available Format(s) Not yet available. Please submit a request for this program. Your request helps us decide which programs to make available.
Purchase DVD not available

BillyDkid
02-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Buckley was a member of the Skull and Bones society, spent a year in the CIA, and denounced the John Birch Society as lunatic-fringe fanatics promoting strange and bizarre conspiracy theories, and urged the GOP to purge itself of JBS members.
I'm not understanding the lovefest here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley,_Jr.
I am with you. I don't really know what "conservative" even means. It strikes me as essentially being a "reactionary". He was a big fan of the cold war and he thought the mission of the US was to dominate the world. His view on civil liberties amounted to this - they're nice and all, but really luxuries in a dangerous world. In my view, if you are not protecting civil liberty in America, all you are doing is protecting the interests of the power elite. He was most definitely not a libertarian - and that's a bad thing.