PDA

View Full Version : The smear campaign worked and that's why we lost all those states

Sematary
02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
The primary in Ct. was on Super Tuesday but I had an encounter today that crystallized the reason we lost this state and many others. I was in the school talking to the school nurse about my step son when the vice principal said something to the effect of "Ron Paul for president, huh?" and chuckled. I responded with something to the effect that the joke will be on us come November. Then he explained (after I asked) why he laughed about Ron Paul. First - "He's crazy". I said - what's crazy about the constitution? He said something to the effect of it should be amended with the times. I, of course, don't have a problem with that and told him that Ron Paul was fine with that. Why wouldn't he be? Then he mentioned the racist bullshit. I told him how the letters weren't written by Ron Paul, etc... but let's face it - the damage has been done. The media and the Republican party painted him as crazy and racist and it worked and THAT is why we lost all these states. So - congrats to the establishment for slandering one of the greatest statesmen to live in the past century. You losers.

slamhead
02-27-2008, 08:30 AM
As the educator he is supposed to be, you should have shamed him. Tell him to stop getting his facts from a TV. When they start laying off teachers and administrators in his district as they are doing now in our school district, make sure you let him know he blew his chance.

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Of course the smears in the MSM hurt, that's what they were for.

Foolish people such as myself who don't watch television really don't have an appreciation for how powerful a hold it has on the public mind.

It is the matrix.

Sematary
02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
As the educator he is supposed to be, you should have shamed him. Tell him to stop getting his facts from a TV. When they start laying off teachers and administrators in his district as they are doing now in our school district, make sure you let him know he blew his chance.

Do you think being an educator makes him any less of a lemming? If anything, it makes him MORE of a lemming because he works for the government. The point is - they managed to ruin the name of a truly great man and it worked. The fact that this particular gentleman is an educator is really not pertinent to the story I was imparting. This is what happened in America to people from all walks of life. They listened to the MSM and RP got railroaded.

IChooseLiberty
02-27-2008, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't give too much credit to the establishment's smear campaign.

I think it had more to do with the amount of negativity that came from Dr. Paul. It's pretty obvious now that people want to hear positivity, not negativity.

Sematary
02-27-2008, 08:41 AM

I think it had more to do with the amount of negativity that came from Dr. Paul. It's pretty obvious now that people want to hear positivity, not negativity.

What are you talking about? There was nothing negative about this campaign - only truth. But people didn't get to hear the truth - only the MSM smears

ToryNotion
02-27-2008, 08:46 AM

I think the american people love to talk about freedom and diversity and change but they really want to be assured that the soft, safe center, uniformity and the status quo are going to be maintained. So candidates like RP and Nader scare them. They want to be assured that their 'freedom' and 'wealth' and 'security' are going to be maintained and don't want to hear the unfortunate truth that these are under attack.

Cinderella
02-27-2008, 08:49 AM
i know i went through the same thing with those damn racist comments....a few people here gave me some good facts about ron paul to dispute those allegations....amazing how something he didnt write got him this huge smear but mccain can freak with some lobbyist and give her special interest etc and its no big deal....its sickening

ToryNotion
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Of course the smears in the MSM hurt, that's what they were for.

Foolish people such as myself who don't watch television really don't have an appreciation for how powerful a hold it has on the public mind.

It is the matrix.

Right. The media manufactured perception that RP was a long shot became the reality. If I ever see George Stephanopoulus's sorry mug in public I'll be hard pressed not to deck him for his 'interview' with RP when that insipid punk told RP to
his face he could not win.

slamhead
02-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Do you think being an educator makes him any less of a lemming? If anything, it makes him MORE of a lemming because he works for the government. The point is - they managed to ruin the name of a truly great man and it worked. The fact that this particular gentleman is an educator is really not pertinent to the story I was imparting. This is what happened in America to people from all walks of life. They listened to the MSM and RP got railroaded.

It is all about one person at a time. This guy got sold a load of crap from his MSM and he did not even know it. You need to call him on it. The other night I sold two McCain supporters the truth and they are now Ron Paul supporters. They both said they wish they had known about Ron Paul. It was not the smear campaign but rather the blackouts that worked for the MSM.

I would follow up with an email to your VP and educate him on Ron Paul.

westmich4paul
02-27-2008, 09:13 AM

that unfortunately will not do any good with the mainstream people for they believe there is nothing wrong with their media, their govt, or any of it. When people don't get it they do not get Ron. And unfortunately that tide is slowly turning to people actually understanding what he is saying is the truth but unfortunately like Ron said he didn't think there would be enough people to agree with his positions, there isn't. Not yet, and I do not know how long or what has got to happen for people to come around but it is the most annoying, frustrating thing to see people bad mouth this guy when all he is trying to do is get us to open our flippen eyes and see what the hell is going on.

IChooseLiberty
02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
What are you talking about? There was nothing negative about this campaign - only truth. But people didn't get to hear the truth - only the MSM smears

The amount of "What is Wrong" in the country compared to "What is Right" was way out of whack in his campaign. Hence, overwhelming negative vibes. The sheeples don't like being scared.

I <3 Dr. Paul because I, unlike most Americans, prefer to know the truth. The truth is my security. Ignorance is the common American's security and Dr. Paul made them feel insecure.

Tdcci
02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
The amount of "What is Wrong" in the country compared to "What is Right" was way out of whack in his campaign. Hence, overwhelming negative vibes. The sheeples don't like being scared.

The sheeple love being scared. That's why horror films are such successes.

ProBlue33
02-27-2008, 09:40 AM

I have come to the conclusion that people don't want to know the truth they are content in their own little bubble world, living out their lives with rose colored glasses.

My own brother who understands the evil fed and what it stands for, is against Ron Paul, even after I told him Ron Paul agrees with you on the Fed and he is the only one that does. His comment "I don't care, he is still a loser".
Thats what we are up against.

crazyfingers
02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Yeah, I agree. The message of freedom is ultimately a positive one and it's unfortunate Ron chose to run an "educational" campaign as opposed to a "winning" one. I love RP as well for everything he has done for the movement but I'm not surprised he didn't do better. People don't want to hear it, even if they need to -- they'd rather shoot the messenger than face the cold, hard truth head on.

NightOwl
02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
The newsletter thing had nothing to do with the way the vote went. The media hardly pursued the story. The only people who vigorously pursued it were envious libertarian organizations that hadn't been supporting Dr. Paul and that were taking some heat.

With the exception of a few of the comments in the newsletters, the vast bulk were typical of how right-wing newsletters sounded at the time. They shocked Dr. Paul's mostly young supporters, because they have no idea what American society was like before the past 17 years of p.c. Steve Sailer showed that the newsletter's comments about the vicious L.A. riots were no worse than what was said and acted out on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson!

Tdcci
02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
The newsletter thing had nothing to do with the way the vote went.

In my own personal experience, also, people withdrawed their support for Ron Paul in support of McCain or Obama because of the newsletter controversy. Of course they were not hardcore supporters, but they were useful single issue voters, and that's OK.

Energy
02-27-2008, 10:20 AM
The media blackout had a huge part in this. The majority just didn't know who he was or what he stood for. And I think the sudden "Huckaboom" last fall was manufactured to dilute RP's rising popularity, especially with the 3rd quarter results and Nov 5th. Old media has an iron grip on the masses. But hey, keep on keeping on, Paul's in for the long haul and anything can happen.

http://www.journalism.org/files/u26/race_for_media_Exposure_final_0.png

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9886/mediaexposurebycandidatnz7.jpg

jmdrake
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
The newsletters had an effect for sure but the blackout was more successful. I ran into far more people canvassing before Super Tuesday that either A) never heard of Ron Paul B) only new about him from the rEVOLution signs around town or C) thought he had dropped out of the race. It didn't matter that Ron Paul's name was on the ballot. Fred Thompson's name was on too and he HAD dropped out. The Sunday before Super Tuesday the newspaper the Tennessean printed a candidate comparison sheet that showed every candidate EXCEPT Ron Paul. That's the largest newspaper in the state. The Nashville Scene (the second largest newspaper in the city) ran a cartoon that suggested Ron Paul had dropped out. Note that BOTH of these incidents were syndicated which means there's no telling HOW much damage was done. Why vote for someone who's not running right?

Regards,

John M. Drake

Pauliana
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
We'll never really know how things would have gone had that not come out at that time.

I can't believe we did so badly after so much enthusiasm.

But look on the bright side - we won't get blamed for the economic collapse - Obama will.

Akus
02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
The primary in Ct. was on Super Tuesday but I had an encounter today that crystallized the reason we lost this state and many others. I was in the school talking to the school nurse about my step son when the vice principal said something to the effect of "Ron Paul for president, huh?" and chuckled. I responded with something to the effect that the joke will be on us come November. Then he explained (after I asked) why he laughed about Ron Paul. First - "He's crazy". I said - what's crazy about the constitution? He said something to the effect of it should be amended with the times. I, of course, don't have a problem with that and told him that Ron Paul was fine with that. Why wouldn't he be? Then he mentioned the racist bullshit. I told him how the letters weren't written by Ron Paul, etc... but let's face it - the damage has been done. The media and the Republican party painted him as crazy and racist and it worked and THAT is why we lost all these states. So - congrats to the establishment for slandering one of the greatest statesmen to live in the past century. You losers.
Fuck'im, he is few and far in between. Media still thinks Ron Paul is irrelevant.

Johncjackson
02-27-2008, 10:29 AM
It hurt, but it's not the reason. We are part of a very small minority when it comes to our political views.

Highland
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Don't forget the hundred monkey theory....once one-hundred monkeys on an island begin making the same action simultaneously the monkeys on the mainland mysteriously begin the same action! That is the essence of why we need to continue to bear the torch of Enlightenment...it is a burden, but truth always is. WE WILL PREVAIL IN TIME!

jmag
02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Bullshit Is Most Important Issue For 2008 Voters
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_9AH-ufAkCU

Libertytree
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I think it was an amalgam of all the things stated, they all had a cumulative effect.

What we see as truth others see as fear and that is in direct conflict with their desires for the status quo. Let's face it, Dr Paul's and our message is a message of freedom and liberty but also a message of dire consequences if things are not addressed right now.

America says it wants change.....and byGod they're gonna get it.

Highstreet
02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
It hurt, but it's not the reason. We are part of a very small minority when it comes to our political views.

I tend to think that's one more line of BS the media likes to put out about us.

Most people tend to agree with Paul and us on the issues, but only if you explain his position to them. They have been fed a line of BS about his positions and spin on those since the beginning of the campaign. The little time he was allowed was mostly dominated by people trying to marginalize and present his ideas as fringe.

They are in fact the most moderate views among both parties, and the current candidates represent the fringe. All these other candidates represent big govt in Domestic and Foreign policies.

LEK
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
The funny thing is the plethura of scandals associated with the other candidates - far, far worse than these supposed newsletters. Things that have and will adversely affect this country for many, many years.

These newsletters are a non-issue, haven't caused any lasting adverse effects, do not define Ron Paul's character or his work ethic. Done, over.

Not the case with these other candidates...where is the outcry...where is the investigative msm reporting?

Don't be deterred - ignore the newsletter blowback and it will go away. Ron Paul has many, many more positives that far, far outweigh this.

DeanToPaulIn4Years
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
if any other candidate had a newsletter that put out racist rantings it would have sunk their campaign as well.

i love the guy, but i don't blame the media for reporting on the newsletters. i blame people for being fucking morons and not understanding that pre-emptive invasion, massive deficits, currency destruction and empire building are more important than a 10 year old newsletter that the candidate didn't write.

people are idiots. we get the government we deserve, no matter how unwilling people are to accept that.

freelance
02-27-2008, 12:09 PM

You're absolutely right. Imagine if we didn't have free access on the Internet from the major ISPs. NO ONE would have known about Ron Paul.

Finn
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm still amazed and frustrated as hell that many people who I thought were intelligent and capable of critical thinking when it comes to media bought the whole "Ron Paul is an ugly old racist" ordeal as easily as they did. That bullshit was everywhere I went, all over the internet, and it seemed to be something people were happy to buy. Yeah let's not talk about the policies, let's talk about newsletters from 20 years ago. I think I occasionally managed to convince some that our man is no racist by bringing up evidence of his record and policies, but it was so annoying.

I have to admit, now I feel like I cant even deal with these people anymore, such stupidity they showed. Sad I know. :(

homah
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I have to admit, now I feel like I cant even deal with these people anymore, such stupidity they showed. Sad I know. :(

It's sad, but true. I have friends I really don't feel like associating with these days due to their mockery of my support for Dr. Paul, backed up by no explanation whatsoever.