PDA

View Full Version : What I Will Do as a Councilman for the liberty movement!(criticism please)

BarryDonegan
02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
"Barry Donegan believes that it is the duty of a citizen in a Representative Republic to either vote for someone who represents his values, or, when there is no option in the running, to run for a seat in the citizen-run government the framers intended. Donegan feels there is not a strong enough voice for limited government at the local level in Metro/Davidson County. In a time when the U.S. economy is in trouble due to abuse of the dollar and an artificially inflated housing bubble, the right prescription is certainly not to take more taxpayer money to build an expensive addition to the Governor's Mansion. The symptoms we are feeling day-to-day such as rising costs for energy, loss of jobs, uninforced immigration laws, and failing entitlement programs are all merely the pains of bloated, oversized, ineffective government. To cure the problem by adding more and more programs and spending more and more money brings to mind Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: 'doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' Let's learn to spend within our means, and get the government out of the business of regulating every aspect of daily life, before some of the symptoms become more severe. When we set these precedents of authority, we have no idea who future generations will pass that power to. Remember, as Thomas Jefferson once said, 'A Republic, If you can keep it'."

As City Councilman, Donegan would vote for your freedoms:

-he would be a strong advocate of private property rights
-oppose corporate welfare, as it interferes with the competitivity of small business
-oppose city coding or regulations which would make upstart small businesses less competitive
-vote against any law which would violate your right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
-vote against any increase in spending or taxation
-speak out for an emphasis of crime prevention, rather than the "apprehend and fine" status-quo
-vote against any criminalization of a victim-less crime
-vote to protect the right of the religious community to exercise its rights to free speech
-vote in a way that respects the fact that we are endowed with our liberties upon creation, and are not granted them by the government or by belonging to a specific group

There is a peaceful Revolution going on in voting booths across the nation! Let's take our Republic back! Vote Donegan for Liberty in 2011.

****how does this look maybe for a first run of flyers?

malkusm
02-27-2008, 12:10 AM
I like it, it's well-written and looks like it relates to local issues (though I admit I don't know anything about your area).

2011 hmm? Thinking ahead. I'd start putting together my campaign but I don't know where I'll be in 3 years...

CurtisLow
02-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I like it too! Good luck!

BarryDonegan
02-29-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks, do you think the paragraph part is too long or wordy for the average people? I'm trying to build a coalition of traditional republicans and libertarians in nashville... I will also be reaching out to our huge gay community and the legalize marijuana crowd, but i'm trying to do so via codewords; aka complex political terms that only activists related to the issues understand. covert-style like ron paul does. does this work effectively?

purplechoe
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
"Remember, as Thomas Jefferson once said, 'A Republic, If you can keep it'."

Doesn't that quote come from Benjamin Franklin?

BarryDonegan
02-29-2008, 11:05 PM
yes it is. thanks for catching that error.

This is exactly why I entrusted you guys with helping me fine tune this. that would definately have blown up in my face. hahaha.

BarryDonegan
02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
I like it, it's well-written and looks like it relates to local issues (though I admit I don't know anything about your area).

2011 hmm? Thinking ahead. I'd start putting together my campaign but I don't know where I'll be in 3 years...

omnes parati

rome wasn't built in a day.

and stopping america from turning into rome can't be done in a day.