PDA

View Full Version : Gun Owners of America give Ron Paul an A+, and a nice write-up

Givemelibertyor.....
08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Ron Paul
by Larry Pratt
Executive Director

Ron Paul has represented areas near Houston, Texas for nearly 20 years in the U.S. House of Representatives. He has the reputation of the paramount defender of the Constitution and seeks to follow it in casting every one of his votes.

Ron Paul has been a leader in the fight to defend and restore the Second Amendment. He has sponsored legislation to repeal the following:

* the Brady law;
* the requirement to lock up your safety (guns);
* the law permitting the US to be part of the UN (which, among other attacks on American freedoms, seeks to ban privately transfered firearms);
* participation in UNESCO -- which has been used to dumb down US education standards;
* the federal prohibition on importation of guns on a sporting basis test;
* federal prohibitions on any pilot wishing to carry a handgun to and in his cockpit; and,
* the so-called "assault weapons" ban (prior to its sunsetting in 2004).

Paul also has sponsored legislation requiring states to treat the concealed carry permit of one state the same as they do that state's driver's license.

Paul has viewed his opposition to a national ID card as a protection for gun owners. A national ID card would most likely identify the bearer as a gun owner, among other things of interest to government officials.

Paul acknowledges his underdog status in the 2008 presidential race. He argues that he is offering himself as a pro-Second Amendment alternative to the candidates who have initially led the field, none of whom have a pro-gun record. Paul hopes to use his long experience in raising grassroots support to gain sufficient funding to become the pro-gun alternative to the current leaders of the field.

Ron Paul is a Medical Doctor who for years even as a member of Congress continued practicing as an obstetrician. He is married and has five children, 17 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

The GOA love Ron Paul.

http://gunowners.org/

Marshall
08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
I wonder if the NRA would endorse him, and if that would be a good thing.

Dustancostine
08-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Also if you go to their site they have a RP quote on the front page. :)

ghemminger
08-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow..I wonder how many memebr they have. The NRA are you clueless that would be huge!

Marshall
08-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow..I wonder how many memebr they have. The NRA are you clueless that would be huge!

I'm a member, but I know plenty of people that think even something as mainstream as it are all gun nuts that run around in camo and use kits to convert all their semi-auto rifles :p

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
The NRA dinged him on an issue some time back. As I recall, it was about the gun locks. Dr. Paul was right and the NRA was not, and in my opinion, they sold us out on this issue. I remember talking to them about it at the time. I was not a happy camper.

Revolution9
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
The NRA dinged him on an issue some time back. As I recall, it was about the gun locks. Dr. Paul was right and the NRA was not, and in my opinion, they sold us out on this issue. I remember talking to them about it at the time. I was not a happy camper.

I read today somewhere they ..the NRA are backing an initiative to have civilian clips only hold five rounds..as you don't need more.. Because they know all about your future and what is best for you. I think If I have a mad 1000 pound grizzly coming down on me fast or a pack of starved wolves i may need 20 or 30 rounds to make sure my target gets hit while scrambling to get the hell out of the way.

Best
Randy

ZandarKoad
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I read today somewhere they ..the NRA are backing an initiative to have civilian clips only hold five rounds..as you don't need more.. Because they know all about your future and what is best for you. I think If I have a mad 1000 pound grizzly coming down on me fast or a pack of starved wolves i may need 20 or 30 rounds to make sure my target gets hit while scrambling to get the hell out of the way.

Best
Randy

When the feds come for you, they usually bring more than five men. We need more rounds.

Givemelibertyor.....
08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm a proud GOA member. I've seen their membership numbers at 150,000 - 300,000. But I don't know for sure.

An NRA endorsement would be amazing, but given their track record, not likely.

krott5333
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
link to article?

krott5333
08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
nevermind, found it

http://gunowners.org/pres08/paul.htm

Givemelibertyor.....
08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
http://gunowners.org/pres08/paul.htm

and here.....

http://gunowners.org/110hrat.htm

shrugged0106
08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm a proud GOA member. I've seen their membership numbers at 150,000 - 300,000. But I don't know for sure.

An NRA endorsement would be amazing, but given their track record, not likely.

I agree, but isnt it sad that they will probably endorse someone who isnt even close in thier support of the 2nd ammendment

Givemelibertyor.....
08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I agree, but isnt it sad that they will probably endorse someone who isnt even close in thier support of the 2nd ammendment

I can't figure out the NRA's motives. I've contacted them many, many times when I've felt that they weren't protecting the 2nd Amendment. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if they endorsed the Hillabeast.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Doesn't matter if we NEED more than 5 rounds or not. What part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand? I don't NEED habeas corpus (not right now) or the freedom to practice religion (personally).

We are born with these rights and more, not because they are spelled out in the Constitution, but because we are free, independent individuals, sovereign over our own selves to the extent that we do not violate another's intrinsic rights, and delegate to government, through the Constitution, exactly what rights the government has. Not the reverse.

Kuldebar
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
NRA sold out a long time ago, unfortunately and are partisans working closely with the federal government.

quickmike
08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Doesn't matter if we NEED more than 5 rounds or not. What part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand? I don't NEED habeas corpus (not right now) or the freedom to practice religion (personally).

We are born with these rights and more, not because they are spelled out in the Constitution, but because we are free, independent individuals, sovereign over our own selves to the extent that we do not violate another's intrinsic rights, and delegate to government, through the Constitution, exactly what rights the government has. Not the reverse.

AMEN SISTAH !!!!!!

Also, the NRA has pretty much sold out as far as im concerned. GOA is the only true defender of the 2nd ammendment because they dont try and compromise in order to get favor. ie trading off their support for an anti 2nd ammendment issue in order to gain a little ground somewhere else. I canceled my membership to those tools 2 years ago.

Kregener
08-15-2007, 06:49 PM
GOA has ALWAYS been high on Dr. Paul. He has been featured on the site since I joined 12 years ago. The reason is simple: Ron Paul votes against ANY violations of the 2nd Amendment. Period.

As for the change-agents at the NRA?

While a vast majority of their members will "vote" for whomever the NRA endorses, I would just as soon they refrain from tainting Ron Paul with their sleaze.

Givemelibertyor.....
08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm making a sign to appeal to rural, gun lovers down here....

PRO-GUN
PRO-LIFE
ANTI-IRS

RON PAUL
PRESIDENT 2008

Any suggestions?

bbachtung
08-15-2007, 06:55 PM
The NRA actively campaigned to get a liberal Democrat who switched to being a Republican after the 1994 take-over elected in Ron Paul's district in his run in the Republican primary in 1996. The NRA leadership has no soul -- they would sell their own grandmothers for the illusion of power and influence.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul#Campaigns):

His Republican primary opponent, Greg Laughlin, had support from leaders within the Republican Party, including House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Governor George W. Bush. Incumbent Laughlin had switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican side the year before, and the Republican National Committee, hoping to encourage other Democrats to switch parties, threw its full support behind Laughlin. Despite these efforts by the national party and some of its aligned interest groups such as the NRA, challenger Paul won the primary. It was the third time he had been elected to Congress as a non-incumbent.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Long time NRA member here. Don't expect any endorsement anytime soon from them. The GOA (gun owners of America) are much more principled and knowledgeable gun owners realize that but recognize the NRA has more clout. Great news at any rate.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm making a sign to appeal to rural, gun lovers down here....

PRO-GUN
PRO-LIFE
ANTI-IRS

RON PAUL
PRESIDENT 2008

Any suggestions?

That's all good. He's also anti-UN & NAU, but nice to keep it simple.

Eli
08-15-2007, 08:12 PM
how can we get the NRA to send out a newsletter about ron paul to all their members?

tmg19103
08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
If it boils down to Mitt, Rudy, Fred and Ron - the NRA would have no choice but to endorse RP. The others are worse than gun grabbing Democrats.

Kuldebar
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
If it boils down to Mitt, Rudy, Fred and Ron - the NRA would have no choice but to endorse RP. The others are worse than gun grabbing Democrats.

Don't give so much credit to the NRA, it's truly amazing what kind of contortions they can go through in order to politically align their organization in support of something or someone.

Razmear
08-15-2007, 08:23 PM
link to article?

http://gunowners.org/pres08/powder.htm
for the breakdown of all candidates

eb

AZ Libertarian
08-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I printed out all the reports from GOA on all the candidates and I took it with me to the gun show. While handing out RP literature, someone asked me "What do you think of Mitt Romney?" I read the whole thing out loud, and now we all know what a flip-flopper he is - he'll say ANYTHING to get elected. It was very handy - especially since the only three that got good reports were Ron, Duncan Hunter, and Tom Tancredo.
And they HATE Hitlery!

tmg19103
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Don't give so much credit to the NRA, it's truly amazing what kind of contortions they can go through in order to politically align their organization in support of something or someone.

I agree, but if they did not endorse RP out of that lot, the GOA may well quickly surpass the NRA in membership. Lot of current and former NRA members fed up with what the NRA has been up to lately.

Kuldebar
08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree, but if they did not endorse RP out of that lot, the GOA may well quickly surpass the NRA in membership. Lot of current and former NRA members fed up with what the NRA has been up to lately.

I hope so.

Another worthy organization:

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (http://www.jpfo.org/)

Der größte Unsinn, den man in den besetzen Ostgebieten machen könnte, sei der, den unterworfenen Völkern Waffen zu geben. Die Geschichte lehre, daß alle Herrenvölker untergegangen seien, nachdem sie den von ihnen unterworfenen Volkern Waffen bewilligt hatten.

[The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so.]
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945), April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitlers Tischegesprache Im Fuhrerhauptquartier 1941-1942. [Hitler's Table-Talk at the Fuhrer's Headquarters 1941-1942], Dr. Henry Picker, ed. (Athenaum-Verlag, Bonn, 1951)

purepaloma
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
To add some clarity to the NRA 5 round theory....

it was ONLY 1 Board Member that suggested this.......NOT the NRA.

tmg19103
08-15-2007, 09:12 PM
I am quite familiar with JPFO. They will not forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg9q9sxJFnA

ksuguy
08-15-2007, 09:13 PM

Yes, and I'm one of them.

noxagol
08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
GOA is much better than the NRA. I was going to join the NRA until I heard about the GOA. Screw the NRA.

jj111
08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I can't figure out the NRA's motives. I've contacted them many, many times when I've felt that they weren't protecting the 2nd Amendment. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if they endorsed the Hillabeast.

NRA has been called by some to be the biggest gun *control* group in the US. Like any bureacracy, it tends to be self-perpetuating. If Ron Paul was elected and his policies were followed, there would be no more need for an NRA and they would all have to find other jobs.....

BarryDonegan
08-15-2007, 10:43 PM
well theyd still exist probably to defend gun owners rights in the future. the government takes and retakes rights away.

trispear
08-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Someone needs to make a topic in the Hannity.com "Washington Politics" forums about this, with Ron Paul's A+ grade and Fred Thompson's D- grade.

I'd love to see how they spin that.

Ira Aten
08-20-2007, 06:44 PM

The NRA pulled a totally chicken shit deal on Ron Paul during the last Congressional Election. The NRA was backing a measure which would limit lawsuits against gun manufacterers, and since Ron Paul has enough intellectual honesty to realize the Constitution does not empower Congress to pass a law which would bar plaintiffs from filing suit against manufacturers or anyone for that matter they dinged him and gave his Democrat opponent a better grade than him in their rating.

But the folks in South Texas know there is no better friend to the Bill of Rights and the Articles of the Constitution than Ron Paul and there is no bettter friend to the 2nd Amendment and he was handily re-elected with no problem.

Pretty good set of Huevos to buck the NRA, but RP has principles, honesty, and the Lord on his side.

What the NRA accomplished by pulling that little trick, at least in my case, was to cause me to halt donations to the ILA division of the NRA (Institute for Legislative Action) which helps the NRA lobby the crooks and whores in the Congress and Senate, to let them define "freedom."

As soon as the NRA apologizes to him, and cranks his rating back up to where it was previously in an A+ state for TEN TERMS IN THE CONGRESS, then I will go back to donating to the ILA again.

The GOA is a much more PRO 2ND Amendment group than is the NRA.

Colleen
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Yes, this is a good thing, the GOA. They are doing the thing the NRA used to give lip service about. I gave up my ownership to the latter, once I learned of this.