PDA

View Full Version : Question About Ron Paul Ballot Initatives.

WilliamC
02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Greetings All,

I'm going to start the petition drive to get Ron Paul on the ballot here in Mississippi as an Independent. I posted a new thread under the Mississippi sub-forum but I wanted to get a broader audience to look at this too.

Just a couple of questions.

Moderators, is there a specific sub-forum for this so we can see who is doing what in each State?

Anybody, is there a consensus for whom to write in as a Vice-Presidential candidate? On my State forms it seems we need to have both a President and Vice President.

Everybody, if you want to help me with this please send me a PM. I'm going to a meeting tonight where I will introduce this, and I will be contacting the heads of the various Mississippi Ron Paul meetups about this over the next few days as well. I'll also get something going on Facebook about it (well I'll get the person I know who runs my local facebook group to) and I'll see about getting someone from Myspace to get it going as well.

We only need 1,000 valid signatures in Mississippi so this should be pretty easy to do. I don't know what the filing fees are yet but I can't imagine they will be too much.

Again, this is done with the intent to give Ron Paul as strong a voice at the Convention as possible. IF he can go there and already be on the ballot in all 50 States, just think of the position of strength he will be in!

Let's get this done, mkay? ;)

William C Colley
Senatobia, MS

WilliamC
02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Bump for the night crowd.

gerryb
02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
We should have a Draft Ron Paul subforum.

We have a subforum for everything else!

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Bump for morning crowd

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 03:39 PM
bump

acptulsa
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
We'll only have 46 states as four have "sore loser" laws. Two of those are voting Tuesday, and wouldn't it be funny if the ones where the "sore loser" laws prevent us we win?! Fine question on the VP choice--didn't think that was necessary (don't think it is in my state). Well, we're the ones drafting him, who do we draft with him? Ex New Mexico governor Johnson? I'll nominate him to get the ball rolling.

I'll also call a moderator's attention to this thread to see if Central or elsewhere is where they want it. Meanwhile, keep bumping for now. This is the positive initiative we need right now!

P.S. I do sincerely believe that "only" 46 states will be more than enough to get the G.O.P.'s attention!!

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
In Mississippi the form requires both a Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidate to be filled in, so I would like to co-ordinate with others doing this in their State.

Gary Johnson is a good choice, he is an ex-Governor, but Andrew Napolitano is another possibility that I like.

gerryb
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
In Mississippi the form requires both a Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidate to be filled in, so I would like to co-ordinate with others doing this in their State.

Gary Johnson is a good choice, he is an ex-Governor, but Andrew Napolitano is another possibility that I like.

Why must it be filled in? The US Constitution states the VP will be the second most vote getter in the Presidential election. =P

WilliamC
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Why must it be filled in? The US Constitution states the VP will be the second most vote getter in the Presidential election. =P

Well I would hate to go through the effort of collecting 1,000 signatures, getting them verified, turning them in to the Secretary of State, and then being told the petition is invalid because there is no VP candidate.

In a way it doesn't matter, but if multiple States have the same ticket, and not just Ron Paul, on the ballot it just makes more sense to me.

acptulsa
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Read your amendments. But thanks for the chance to bump the thread.

acptulsa
02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
ADMIN: If you decide this topic doesn't warrant a subforum, please move it back to Central and bump it for us if you would. Thank you very much.

rgavula
03-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Write-in Ron Paul instead.

I am organizing a group of individuals to coordinate supporters and fulfill write-in eligibility requirements in each state. I feel that this is a better alternative to a third party run at this point. The sad truth is, while many Republican voters may not vote for McCain, they also will not vote for a minor party candidate. Ron Paul as a write-in Republican is the strongest alternative.

Additionally, write-in ballot requirements are far less than to establish an independent ballot line. In many states, all that is required is a declaration of intent from the candidate. In other states, Electoral representatives must be filed. In all cases, the signatory requirements are far less than a ballot initiative.

I would urge the Ron Paul supporters to focus our energy on reaching new voters, and converting voters from other candidates to Ron Paul. This is not difficult at all, as the platforms of the other candidates just don't hold water in comparison to Dr. Paul's. Educate the public on the issues, and they will come to our side.

This can easily become a huge viral campaign, if we commit to the write-in, and to getting the word out. Each new supporter can also be encouraged to spread their enthusiasum to others, and build a movement.

Lovecraftian4Paul
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Ron Paul himself still has to sign off on being a write-in candidate in most states, otherwise, the write-in votes won't count and won't be reported. This is because there are more than a few idiots each election who write-in Mickey Mouse, Cthulhu, Jesus, etc. It isn't worth bothering to record these.

Paul on the ballot would still be a better choice, since it would increase total votes, whether he's running or not. The signatures needed to get on the ballot varies wildly from state to state, but even if he were on a few of the easier states, it would be a dramatic help instead of relying on word of mouth for a write-in campaign. You would be surprised how many people believe the only choices available are those on the ballot.

More importantly though, some states have insane rules for writing in a Presidential candidate. I believe Pennsylvania or Ohio actually requires writing in over twenty electors in a tiny space, along with the Presidential candidate. I recall the Nader people raging over this in 2004 when he was a write-in candidate in states where he couldn't get on the ballot. They even gave out little stickers with all the names printed to try to solve the problem. Not sure if this nullified the write-in all together.

Bottom line: Get Ron on the ballot in any state possible, whether he wants to run or not. It's a hell of a lot easier and clear cut than a write-in campaign.

Write-in Ron Paul instead.

I am organizing a group of individuals to coordinate supporters and fulfill write-in eligibility requirements in each state. I feel that this is a better alternative to a third party run at this point. The sad truth is, while many Republican voters may not vote for McCain, they also will not vote for a minor party candidate. Ron Paul as a write-in Republican is the strongest alternative.

Additionally, write-in ballot requirements are far less than to establish an independent ballot line. In many states, all that is required is a declaration of intent from the candidate. In other states, Electoral representatives must be filed. In all cases, the signatory requirements are far less than a ballot initiative.

I would urge the Ron Paul supporters to focus our energy on reaching new voters, and converting voters from other candidates to Ron Paul. This is not difficult at all, as the platforms of the other candidates just don't hold water in comparison to Dr. Paul's. Educate the public on the issues, and they will come to our side.

This can easily become a huge viral campaign, if we commit to the write-in, and to getting the word out. Each new supporter can also be encouraged to spread their enthusiasum to others, and build a movement.

rgavula
03-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Lovecraftian4Paul,

You are correct that Ron Paul has to sign the declarations of intent for write-in candidacy. I am working with a group of other volunteers to coordinate completion of the various state requirements, and obtain Dr. Paul's consent.

However, you are misunderstanding the naming of electors on write-in votes. The individual write-in voter DOES NOT have to name electors. Certain states require that the CANDIDATE for write-in eligibility name the appropriate number of electors on his/her declaration of intent. This is typically filed with the state Secretary of State or Board of Elections anywhere from 3 months to 3 days prior to the General Election, depending on the state.

Write-in eligibility requires no fees, no financial filings (except after the candidate wins), minimal petitions (NC is the only state that I know of which requires a petition for write-in eligibility), and minimal signatures - those being the committed electors in the states (such as CA, NJ, OH) that require them.