PDA

View Full Version : Operation NH: Ron Paul TV Ad

skiingff
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I just got off the phone with Dj Liveontheisland (DjLoTi) who runs Ron Paul Radio. We discussed Operation NH and creating a professional TV ad for Ron Paul. DjLoTi has a lifelong friend named Allan Flanders (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2519471/?fr=c2M9MXxsbT01MDB8ZnQ9MXxrdz0xfGZiPXV8dHQ9MXxteD 0yMHxodG1sPTF8c2l0ZT1kZnxxPWFsbGFuIGZsYW5kZXJzfG5t PTF8Y289MXxwbj0w;fc=1;ft=23) (click on his name for his IMDB profile) who performs professional TV, movie, and radio work. He works in a studio in Los Angeles. Allan moved to L.A. from Texas to go to college, where he earned his bachelor's degree, and now he does audiovisual work, including some audio work on the popular reality TV show 'Dancing with the Stars.'

Allan has offered his expertise to us Ron Paul supporters pro-bono. We wouldn't pay for HIS labor, however he would need to call in other people at times and we would have to pay for their labor. We would also pay for any audiovisual needs not currently available to him, materials/props, and any post-production editing.

All in all, the effort may cost us a few hundred dollars -- I'm working to get a more exact estimate -- however, the end product will definitely be worth it. A professional Ron Paul ad.

The good thing about this offer is that we would have the opportunity to start completely from scratch and choose background music, a theme for the ad, the target audience, etc. We could make the ad how we want it to be.

Right now I need some input on this development. I don't mean to be a prick, but it killed me to watch Ron Paul's Iowa TV ads. They seemed like they were from the 80s.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
My take is:

Mention NO WAR, but strong defense. Make change thru emulation, not the barrel of a gun. SECURE BORDERS and NO AMESTY. No FEDERAL INCOME TAX.. LIBERTY, FREEDOM.. PERSONAL RIGHTS... NO REAL ID CARD.

I am not sure how NH pans out in terms of what they find important... you know..
For me,illegal immigration and personal freedom is huge.. for others.. IRS..

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Ok yeah. We can do *anything* we want here. It's a blank canvas. 30 seconds of anything we want.

It can be theatrical, personal, informative, subtle, anything.. a blank canvas. It's call script writing. Lets get a script written out. We need to move in that direction.

It's like writing a movie script that's 30 seconds long. That's what needs to be done.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 04:32 PM
well.. keep in mind what 30 second commericals have.

I think to just get ideas from the forum only might not be the greatest idea.. we can get an idea of "what to put in the ad", but I think some research needs to be done on 30 second commericals and what is effective...... how the brain works given 30 seconds.. do people react better to visual, or sound? what colors should be used?

you know... a little planning will really go a long way.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
My take is:

Mention NO WAR, but strong defense. Make change thru emulation, not the barrel of a gun. SECURE BORDERS and NO AMESTY. No FEDERAL INCOME TAX.. LIBERTY, FREEDOM.. PERSONAL RIGHTS... NO REAL ID CARD.

I am not sure how NH pans out in terms of what they find important... you know..

I agree with Xar. However, if we do mention terrorism, it should be about going after bin Laden and protecting our own ports and borders. Slugg has some very good soundbytes on bin Laden and our defense.

Johnnybags
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
need to target women and minority voters somehow in it, something about putting education and resources back in local control where it belongs not federal beauracracies and healthcare change. We need to explain his healthcare stance and how it will help Jane Q. Public.

Spirit of '76
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I like the idea of just showing a number of different RP supporters, each stating their own reason for supporting him.

"I'm Kent from WV and I support Ron Paul because I want a commander in chief who will protect our country without dragging us into useless wars."

"I'm Sally from NH and I support Ron Paul because he'll defend our borders instead of Iraq's."

"I'm Joe from MO and I support Ron Paul because he'll cut back on wasteful government spending."

etc.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
How about a woman sitting on a sofa-like thing on her front porch, very American-esque, reading a book, with a child playing in the front yard. Then, a car pulls up, and a man gets out. The child yells, "Daddy's home!" and the woman runs through the yard and hugs the man, with the child hugging him as well. Freeze frame of the shot to end out the final few seconds. All the while, talk about Ron's stance on following the constitution and voting against the war.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
This is art, people! We have to be creative! lol

Write scripts! lol

I'm having fun with this :)

Spirit of '76
08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
How about a woman sitting on a sofa-like thing on her front porch, very American-esque, reading a book, with a child playing in the front yard. Then, a car pulls up, and a man gets out. The child yells, "Daddy's home!" and the woman runs through the yard and hugs the man, with the child hugging him as well. Freeze frame of the shot to end out the final few seconds. All the while, talk about Ron's stance on following the constitution and voting against the war.

Put the man in a military uniform, and you might have something there...

UtahApocalypse
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I like the idea of just showing a number of different RP supporters, each stating their own reason for supporting him.

"I'm Kent from WV and I support Ron Paul because I want a commander in chief who will protect our country without dragging us into useless wars."

"I'm Sally from NH and I support Ron Paul because he'll defend our borders instead of Iraq's."

"I'm Joe from MO and I support Ron Paul because he'll cut back on wasteful government spending."

etc.

I think this would be ideal... have each person mention a topic they are passionate about, why Ron Paul is the best answer.... and then sticking to the mosaic ad maybe use the "I am Ron Paul"

A second thought is voice overs of that, while slowly pulling away from the pictures as they start to form the picture of Ron Paul.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I think that's good too.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Yep. Have him in dress uniform. Which branch? ect., ect. This is how you *create*

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Ok, with the people saying where they're from and stuff.. if we have a diverse crowd from around the country, how are we going to get them on camera in one spot on the same day or even the same week? We can't travel around the country with equipment and film people. We could use actors. But then it's not real. But we could.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Going back to my original scenario, have it sunny and bright. Maybe have a sprinkler going or a dog. Details, details, details. PAINT the picture.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
A sprinkler going or a dog going? LOL.

What about a pan of the countryside. You know, the whole "from sea to shining shore" thing. Build emotion......

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Or how about this..

A real soldier is sitting in a darkened room... rocking chair.. american flag hanging in the back..

He is in his chamos..

He says..
"nobody is as patriotic than me. I am freedom loving american down to my spirit filled soul. But the war I was fighting in had nothing to do with freedom. If Terror is what we are fighting, then why are our borders wide open? And have been since sept 11? Why are we there, when we should be here."

Man gets up and walks to the front door of his place.. it is sunny outside... a "A for sale sign is sticking in his front lawn"

The mans children and wife are on the front porch

Man says..
" Now the politicians are talking about the Real ID, implanted chips, welfare for illegal immigrants, and the Patriot Act with more and more freedom stripping policies being passed all the time. "

family comes together,

Man continues..
"If your liberty, the Constitution and having secure borders for america is important. Vote Ron Paul for President. He believes that the government exists to serve the people, at the will of the people. Seems special interests have the ear of our government. Its time we take it back."

Wife chimes in.. and as she is talking, a fade in of the constitution and bill of rights overlay over the scene...
"Vote Ron Paul. There is Hope for America."

........ then text appears.. "This is what we are truly fighting for......"

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
lol. A family dog. Maybe a small one. Not a large one. Medium sized, at the most. You could have the child and the dog in the lawn, in the background, while the camera is looking over the woman's shoulder (with the book in picture as well). Then, when the child yells in excitement, switch camera positions, and have the camera behind the man, showing the woman run to his arms. Move the camera to face the side of both people, with the woman on the left. This way, people see the woman first. That'll touch their emotions. lol. Maybe I was made for this stuff.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
There we go Xar... now we're talkin... this is what we're creating. Exactly.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I really wish I could be in LA directing this thing. Maybe I can. Who knows. lol

BlCkDeAtH
08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
In my opinion, we need to focus on the WAR and our civil liberties being taken away here at home.
Ron Paul voted against giving Bush the authority of going to War without a Declaration from Congress.
Ron Paul was one of three Republicans (I think it would be better to say one in __ House Members, but I dunno the exact number) to vote against the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act allows the government to ... we must say what it does because some people might not know.
Ron Paul is THE ONLY PRESIDENTIAL candidate who will get us out of Iraq. Show a clip of him saying; "We just marched in, we should just march out."

During this voiceover, video should be shown of Ron Paul in debates at his best moments. No images of Rally's should be shown because of the bad quality of video.

In all honesty, having people saying why they support Paul will be cheasy and put people off to Ron because they will see the same old politician garbage that they are sick of; and those people are our target audience.

My English teacher used to say "Show me, don't Tell me." We need to have an authoritative voice saying the above things I mentioned as well as short clips of Ron Paul speaking for himself.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Or how about this..

A real soldier is sitting in a darkened room... rocking chair.. american flag hanging in the back..

He is in his chamos..

He says..
"nobody is as patriotic than me. I am freedom loving american down to my spirit filled soul. But the war I was fighting in had nothing to do with freedom. If Terror is what we are fighting, then why are our borders wide open? And have been since sept 11? Why are we there, when we should be here."

Man gets up and walks to the front door of his place.. it is sunny outside... a "A for sale sign is sticking in his front lawn"

The mans children and wife are on the front porch

Man says..
" Now the politicians are talking about the Real ID, implanted chips, welfare for illegal immigrants, and the Patriot Act with more and more freedom stripping policies being passed all the time. "

family comes together,

Man continues..
"If your liberty, the Constitution and having secure borders for america is important. Vote Ron Paul for President. He believes that the government exists to serve the people, at the will of the people. Seems special interests have the ear of our government. Its time we take it back."

Wife chimes in.. and as she is talking, a fade in of the constitution and bill of rights overlay over the scene...
"Vote Ron Paul. There is Hope for America."

........ then text appears.. "This is what we are truly fighting for......"

ooohhh... that is good. I LOVE IT!! :D LibertyEagle jumping up and down with excitement.... we need to do this one. Seriously.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Here is another..

You have a group of fat, sweaty, overindulgant men in suites sitting by a fire tossing pieces of the constitituion into the fire, laughing all the while..

..... as they throw pieces of it into the fire, they call out things like...
".. then we go into Iran and use terror as the reason",
another chimes in...."more war, we love it!"
another man tosses in another piece and says "then we'll add onto the patriot act the ability to spy on anyone..."
someone yells out "Yes Yes, then the Real ID" they continue to laugh

.... another chunk of the constitution goes into the flames... "then we will open the borders fully, bring in more cheap labour for our 'friends' to undermine our own workers, and charge the middle class for the welfare...." more laughter..

Then the room fades, the constitution appears.. and a voice says

"They are tearing apart all that made this country great. When all your liberties and freedoms are gone. When war is rampant. Will it be too late? Vote Ron Paul for President. The Champion of the Constitution........... Ron Paul"

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't like this one as well. Maybe it just needs to be fleshed out more. The first one is a real winner though, IMO.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Xar, I like your second one personally, but in order to be effective we need to relate to our audience. I think having a military member and his family will be more effective to reaching out to the audience.

I like your first one, but I think the script might need to be cut down a bit. We do only have 30 seconds. I read your script, timed myself, and I went over a minute. Also, I think the 'for sale sign' shouldn't be in the picture. I think that would create an overtone which relates to stress. We want to be as serene as possible. lol.

skiingff
08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Guys, should we still hold a contest to see who can make the best Ron Paul tv ad, and run the winner of that competition and the professionally-done ad in rotation?

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't think we should air a non-professional looking ad. So, if we can have someone submit a professional-looking ad, why not just see if they can create scenarios based on what people think is the best?

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I like your first one, but I think the script might need to be cut down a bit. We do only have 30 seconds. I read your script, timed myself, and I went over a minute. Also, I think the 'for sale sign' shouldn't be in the picture. I think that would create an overtone which relates to stress. We want to be as serene as possible. lol.

Yeah, it would have to be cut down; I think it could be done. Also, we don't want to take up time for him to be walking across the room. We would just have to have a change of scene. I agree... we should leave out the For Sale sign.

ronpaulitician
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
If this ad will be for NH in particular, should we put some specific NH references in there?

Live free or die?

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't think we should air a non-professional looking ad. So, if we can have someone submit a professional-looking ad, why not just see if they can create scenarios based on what people think is the best?

Maybe it would be worthwhile to create storyboards of the scenarios we are serious about, before we spent money bringing in the pros. That is, unless there is a pro versed in campaign commercials, or marketing, in general, who could offer some advice. Do we have anyone here like that? Yesterday, Suzu, yeah, I think it was her, was talking about a message board she had created for brainstorming this type of thing. It sounded more secure. I can't remember, but did she say they had someone there who was a marketing expert. I do recall her saying there was someone there that knew about FEC regs.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Here is another..

A woman is sitting on the sand, facing the ocean looking to the sky, her child in her lap. Her husband off by the shore hunting shells with the son.

The sky shows depictions of war, and liberty issues.. illegals crossing the border in hundreds... americans out of jobs... and newsclippings of falsehoods "no weapons found"... or "Implant chips" or "Amnesty" etc...

the child starts to cry...
"I know darling, it doesn look good...." the mother says as she caresses the baby..
...."but for you, america must be great again... you will know what it means to be a child of the constitution..."

child slowly quiets..

woman looks at the camera, husband comes and sits by her with their son...
"Lets take the government back from special interests and lets get back on track. There is Hope for America. There is Ron Paul. Vote Ron Paul for President"

family hugs, constitution fades in and then disappears with scene.

Spirit of '76
08-15-2007, 05:29 PM
A young woman sits at a table. She looks frustrated. She is paying the bills.

She stops and says, "There's just not enough to makes ends meet."

Camera pans out and we see a grandfatherly man sitting near her in a chair. He puts down his newspaper and says, "Between taxes and inflation, there's never enough. Thanks to the government, a dollar doesn't go nearly as far as it did when I was your age."

A child runs into the room. "Mommy, Mommy! When is Daddy coming home?"

The woman looks crestfallen. "Just 18 more months, sweetie. 18 more months..."

The child now looks sad too. "Why did he have to go to Iraq again?"

The woman: "I don't know, baby. I don't think anybody knows..."

Cut to the grandfather, who looks at the camera: "Ron Paul knows, and he tried to warn us when he voted against this war. I'll be voting for him, because he'll bring my son home, fix the economy, and save what's left of our liberty."

Fade to image of the Constitution on a desk, lit by flickering firelight. A bust of Jefferson sits nearby. A painting of George Washington hangs in the background. A picture of Ron Paul is clearly visible.

Narrator: "Ron Paul is the Champion of the Constitution. He has never voted to raise taxes. He has never voted for an unbalanced budget. He voted against the Iraq War. He voted against the so-called Patriot Act. He will bring our troops home and protect our borders. Vote Ron Paul for president."

Spirit of '76
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Here is another..

A woman is sitting on the sand, facing the ocean looking to the sky, her child in her lap. Her husband off by the shore hunting shells with the son.

The sky shows depictions of war, and liberty issues.. illegals crossing the border in hundreds... americans out of jobs... and newsclippings of falsehoods "no weapons found"... or "Implant chips" or "Amnesty" etc...

the child starts to cry...
"I know darling, it doesn look good...." the mother says as she caresses the baby..
...."but for you, america must be great again... you will know what it means to be a child of the constitution..."

child slowly quiets..

woman looks at the camera, husband comes and sits by her with their son...
"Lets take the government back from special interests and lets get back on track. There is Hope for America. There is Ron Paul. Vote Ron Paul for President"

family hugs, constitution fades in and then disappears with scene.

You're good at this. :D

SwooshOU
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I am a conservative Republican. I was talking to some of my friends who are also conservative Republicans. I mentioned Ron Paul and what he stands for. When asked about the war, I explained that Ron Paul didn't support the US going into a needless war. At the very least they could have TOLD us it was for oil. Anyways, they were adamant, that the war was the right thing to do even if it was for saving people from the oppression of Saddam. And on and on...

Anyways, I say that because, as conservative and Pro-War as the Republicans are, I don't know if we should be airing a commercial that will likely not appeal to the very ones from whom we need votes. Since Ron Paul is trying to win the Republican nomination, harping on the war may turn off some Republicans before they even know who Ron Paul really is.

My .02: I like the throwback quotes from the 1700s and 1800s. Mix in old school constitution-era quotes with videos of Ron Paul speaking. The implication is that Ron Paul believes in our Constitution and our core values as freedom-loving Americans. Also, I think people will think the comparisons between Ron Paul and our founders are favorable.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
That's good. I would leave out the "no weapons found" thing. You wouldn't believe how many Repubs still insist that the weapons were either found, or that they were moved. We could add something about prices going up. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

skiingff
08-15-2007, 05:32 PM
If this ad will be for NH in particular, should we put some specific NH references in there?

Live free or die?

I don't think we want an ad exclusively for NH that can't be aired elsewhere -- if we're going to spend money on it, we should make it universal so other ad campaigns can borrow it from us and we can use it in other crucial states like Iowa, South Carolina, and whatnot. That will save us money and time.

Spirit of '76
08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think we want an ad exclusively for NH that can't be aired elsewhere -- if we're going to spend money on it, we should make it universal so other ad campaigns can borrow it from us and we can use it in other crucial states like Iowa, South Carolina, and whatnot. That will save us money and time.

Exactly. It should have universal appeal.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
In reference to the poster above, I have noticed that alot of conservatives do think that regardless, the war is just.. I WAS THE SAME WAY.

I was very pro-war.. I didn't care what the reasons were, we had gotten rid of a dictator..... I just happened upon Ron Paul when investigating candidates hard on illegal immigration... I happened to see a youtube video before I heard about Tancredo.... and I was hooked.. so to me, once I really sat there and digested Ron Paul, it all made sense.... I am a republican, no doubt about it... but I am different now.

SO, the question begs.. do we have 30 seconds to make that impact...

I think the poster is right that we do NOT want to alienate republicans... YET we do want voters who are against the war... but then there is that statistic that says 70% of americans want us out.. and not for nothing, Ron Paul is very adamant about it in his speeches.. its not like he "hides it"..

I like the storyline above mine.... mentioned the war, didn't harp on it...

I DO THINK, the secure borders should be a litte more pronounced. "secure borders and no amnesty...."

G-khan
08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
If it is a man in uniform I would suggest that some how we get in that more people in the service support Ron Paul than any other candidate.. Maybe because he supports them!...

SwooshOU
08-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I just had another thought.

Show a bunch of fast paced clips of people saying either "Ron Paul" or cheering and chanting his name. All clips will be shown with a computer monitor on the screen (so people know they're looking at a computer screen). "Google," "YouTube," "MySpace," "FaceBook," "Technorati," and Digg quickly flash on the screen with various headlines in support of Ron Paul ("#1 most searched for" "internet army"... blah blah) with the audio of people screaming and cheering for Paul.

From there, you could go in one of two directions... The positive more cheery way, would be to tell people to catch the Ron Paul fever (or something) and log on to (whatever web site).

The negative way would then to fade everything to black with the audio fading out. Say something like "Despite the fact that Ron Paul is the internet's Presidential Candidate, the Mainstream Media and their big money to other candidates won't even talk about Ron Paul. Find out why at (some web site)" or something like that.

Just an idea. :)

MsDoodahs
08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Who is your target audience?

Is this ad intended to help RP do well in the NH Straw Poll?

If so, who is the VOTER in the straw poll?

If you alienate registered and active GOPers, you're alienating straw poll voters.

Think about Iowa. WHO DID MITT BUS TO THE POLL?

OLDER PEOPLE.

Isn't that your target audience for NH?

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh Doodahs, there you go again. Being practical. :p

MsDoodahs
08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Another idea.

Surely some of the polling agencies have asked NH voters what is their main issue of concern for the upcoming election.

We should probably look for what the people in NH say their top 3 issues are and if they are solid for RP, hit those in the ad.

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't think it's targeting a straw poll or something specific like that. I think it's just for general promotion purposes. But I'm not sure. Skiingff is the man who's doing this.

themanhere
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow nice!

Id say stick with the points that stand out from the rest of the candidates.
I know you can't have no 8 min ad or use clips but lets remember what works and moves people. It's not slogans or fancy special effects its not even Ron Pauls smile. It's Ron Paul Message that neo cons and demos cant match. They want truth! They want change! They want a Revolution!

For example heres my favorite style....
aravoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfdB5OzlyQ
fairtaxPresident2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lWyp-RQCc

Think epic move trailer blockbuster!

if it brings a tear to your eye or takes your breath away its a damn good ad!

I agree all we need is one epic ad to go nation wide!

DeadheadForPaul
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
One good thing that I did see from the campaign ads was showing different issues in text while the voice-over discusses others. For example, it was talking about lower taxes while the text said "no amnesty"...it covers double the issues in a short period of time

Here's my pitch for a commercial, stolen ideas from some of those listed above
=================================
A wife and child sitting on the front porch of a middle class American house

A car pulls up the driveway and a man gets out of the passenger seat

Child yells "Daddy!" and runs up. He's in uniform and picks child up in his arms, etc.

This voice over starts at the start of the commercial: "From the beginning of this great nation, brave men and women have answered the call to defend our nation, our traditions, and our rights. American rights like freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and the right to bear arms. But over the past decades, career politicians in Washington have trampled on the very rights that our forefathers fought and died defending. Ron Paul will protect these rights. (show "A+ on guns rights, never voted to raise taxes, etc. in text) Dr. Paul received more donations from the military than any other candidate. He will end the income tax, secure our borders, and hunt down Osama bin Laden. Vote Ron Paul to preserve American values. Ron Paul: Hope For America"

max
08-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Focus on two strongest themes and hit the emotions

Ad: Flag draped coffins, taps on bugle playing in background with voiceover of George Bush JOKING about not being able to find WMD's.....flash faces of dead troops and grieving widows.....

Ad: Abolish the IRS. Briefly explain how it can be done...talk about how america is headed towards bankruptcy and RP will drasically cut taxes and spending..

How about a guy opening up his paycheck on the first day of income tax abolition : "WOW. I got 100% of my pay!"...his co-workers ll notice the same and they chant "Ron Paul...Ron paul"

ronpaulitician
08-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Not NH specific polling data, but...

issues most important to voters (http://www.pollingreport.com/prioriti.htm)

ronpaulitician
08-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Anything we can do with the "Just come home" quote?

jb4ronpaul
08-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I was a pro-war republican. I chose republican because I belive in freedom and small government and I thought they did too. The best way to get republican votes is to LINK the war to big government. It's just another big government freedom eroding failure. (war is the health of the state philosophy) . Show that being against the war and intervention is the only logical extention of the conservative philosophy. They can be converted, but you need to show why, not just say that the war is bad. Also I like how Ron Paul talks about the just war theory with religious groups, something we seem to have forgotten about.

BlCkDeAtH
08-15-2007, 06:04 PM
IMHO, if I was a viewer, these family scenes wouldn't play. They would look fake, and this first impression would carry over through the entire commercial.

My advice is to inform the viewers in the simplest, most basic way; without any extra details (for sale signs, what type of uniform).

Further, someone asked about what best works for getting the most across in thirty seconds and the answer is fourfold: colors, voice, text, and images(video).

I know colors very well since I did a report on them for my Persuasion and Propoganda class. Red is aggressive, Blue is intelligent, white is clean, yellow is optimistic and creative, green is natural. The best combination for us would be red and blue. Red would paint Ron Paul as a "strong leader;" it would counteract his age. Blue is obvious.

Images must be of Ron Paul, to increase awareness and so people can connect the name with the man.

Text should be mostly quotes, "Show, don't Tell"

Voice can vary.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
IMHO, if I was a viewer, these family scenes wouldn't play. They would look fake, and this first impression would carry over through the entire commercial.

My advice is to inform the viewers in the simplest, most basic way; without any extra details (for sale signs, what type of uniform).

Further, someone asked about what best works for getting the most across in thirty seconds and the answer is fourfold: colors, voice, text, and images(video).

I know colors very well since I did a report on them for my Persuasion and Propoganda class. Red is aggressive, Blue is intelligent, white is clean, yellow is optimistic and creative, green is natural. The best combination for us would be red and blue. Red would paint Ron Paul as a "strong leader;" it would counteract his age. Blue is obvious.

Images must be of Ron Paul, to increase awareness and so people can connect the name with the man.

Text should be mostly quotes, "Show, don't Tell"

Voice can vary.

perhaps you are right... who is gonna "act" in our scripts?

DjLoTi
08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Maybe I should start watching TV and take notes on the advertisements that are played.

BlCkDeAtH
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
perhaps you are right... who is gonna "act" in our scripts?

I think the voice in your radio ads will be good for the voice overs, plus that will save us time and energy.

DeadheadForPaul
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Maybe I should start watching TV and take notes on the advertisements that are played.

How about we find the political commercials on youtube and then emulate the good ones

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I think the voice in your radio ads will be good for the voice overs, plus that will save us time and energy.

That won't be a problem... when the script is done, I can get that no problem.

BlCkDeAtH
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Make sure you realize that different commercials will use different techniques, most of them won't work when we are "selling" a Presidential Candidate.

skiingff
08-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I would be pleased to somehow get a mention of Ron Paul's military service or career in there.

Nevertheless, when we succeed like the Swift Boat Veterans group did when Kerry was running for President, and garner a lot of media attention that a "little grassroots" group accomplished all this so quickly, attention will shift to Ron Paul. Name recognition will skyrocket and people will actually start paying attention -- just in time for the primaries!!!

Anyway I think it should be mentioned in the ad what this small but dedicated group accomplished. That will really impress the media and the general public alike. Our determination.

P.S. For those of you who haven't yet signed onto the pledge at http://www.pledgebank.com/20kforpaul please do it. Even if you can't contribute what it's asking for, any little bit will help so please sign on. Yes, the ad-making is going on but simultaneously we need to be fundraising so we have our stuff together when it's ready to air.

General pledge information
Creator Brandon Lloyd, freedom-loving American
Date created 15th August 2007
Date closes 31st October 2007
Status open for signers; not yet successful
Number of signers 12 / 160 (7.5% of target)
Estimated signers by deadline 142 (88.8% of target)
if signup rate continues as in last week
Categories Democracy and government

At this current rate we will miss funding targets by 11.2%. Folks, this tv ad has the opportunity to reach a couple million people and change the landscape of the election. We have to get our message out before the other candidates do, and pound it home bigtime. In the ideal world, Ron Paul signs, ads, supporters, etc would cover everything and you'd see them everywhere. We'd create our own media. That is the ultimate goal. Let's get 200 signers onto this thing and raise even more money than we need.

Remember!!! One TV ad can cost as little as $25. Pledge for what you can!!! $25 can reach out to a few thousand people. $100 can reach out to tens of thousands. Our campaign will reach out to a couple million.

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
How about we find the political commercials on youtube and then emulate the good ones

you are right.... we need to see what works..

check this:

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/politics/national/2004race/adwars/n_10185/

ronpaulitician
08-15-2007, 06:15 PM
How about displaying quotes from the founding fathers as they relate to the issues at hand, and then show Ron Paul speaking on those issues.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." -- Benjamin Franklin
--> Paul talking about the Patriot Act

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." -- John Quincy Adams
--> Paul talking about Iraq

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none." -- Thomas Jefferson
--> Paul talking about blowback

DeadheadForPaul
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
this will get us started

Mitt Romney Ad 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Njyzon2aJJ8
Mitt Romney ad 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qTiOLGtiEPQ
John McCain on Martha Rainville ad: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2xbiEeC0Q
Bill Clinton: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUHT-hmGvjQ
Joe Lieberman commercial: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mlAs7T5zOFE
George Bush Sr. commercial: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mBhaKoQGo-E

micahnelson
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Lets not reinvent the wheel. Lets copy the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_in_America

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMJ90T2rwXU&mode=related&search=

This is known to be the best campaign ad in history. Simple and optimistic.

Remember, if things are going good we emphasize them.
If things are going poorly, we say we can do better.

Negativity doesn't attract people, hope can.

Maybe something about optimism.

"Too often in politics, the negative voices get all the attention. With so many in the media telling us what to fear, its easy to lose hope in America's future. As citizens of this great country, we can always rely on our foundation of liberty. It has served us well through revolution, civil unrest, poverty, and world war. Ron Paul has always put his hope in America, and the opportunity and prosperity her freedom provides. Hope for America is liberty, and liberty has no greater ally than Ron Paul."

DeadheadForPaul
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Ronald Reagan ads:

#1 on Peace: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jzfF6E-tx7o
#2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwahxXNDrrI

#1 is a GREAT ad for foreign policy

DeadheadForPaul
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Full text of MORNING IN AMERICA:

"It's morning again in America. Today more men and women will go to work than ever before in our country's history. With interest rates at about half the record highs of 1980, nearly 2,000 families today will buy new homes, more than at any time in the past four years. This afternoon 6,500 young men and women will be married, and with inflation at less than half of what it was just four years ago, they can look forward with confidence to the future. It's morning again in America, and under the leadership of President Reagan, our country is prouder and stronger and better. Why would we ever want to return to where we were less than four short years ago?"

Notes: "Most political advertising hits viewers over the head, while this work makes just as strong a point but in a less confrontational and a more soothing manner."

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow nice!

Id say stick with the points that stand out from the rest of the candidates.
I know you can't have no 8 min ad or use clips but lets remember what works and moves people. It's not slogans or fancy special effects its not even Ron Pauls smile. It's Ron Paul Message that neo cons and demos cant match. They want truth! They want change! They want a Revolution!

For example heres my favorite style....
aravoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfdB5OzlyQ
fairtaxPresident2008

I hadn't seen the 2nd one. It's a very good idea for a commercial. We need to watch out for the duplicates though. A couple were really apparent. I also agree with your statement about it needing to bring a tear to your eye. We need to strike a major chord with people.

LibertyEagle
08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Ronald Reagan ads:

#1 on Peace: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jzfF6E-tx7o
#2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwahxXNDrrI

#1 is a GREAT ad for foreign policy

Happen to run into any of his ad when he was running the 1st time?

Note: Both of these Reagan ads are 60 seconds in length, rather than 30 seconds. How long an ad are we looking at?

0zzy
08-15-2007, 06:57 PM
:) Good stuff guys.

Bossobass
08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I personally think we have something special with the mosaic.

I like the testimonial idea. If, after each person addresses an issue, it goes to freeze frame creating that persons portrait which then flies into a group of portraits that fills the screen. The next testimonial then fills the screen, freezes to portrait and flies into the field of portraits. At the end, the field of portraits pans out into the mosaic.

I would mock this up, but I lack the software.

Bosso

Bossobass
08-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I just viewed the mosaic vid.

This is exactly what I was thinking, only the different folks talking and freezing and flying into the field of portraits, instead of written statements overlaid on the field of portraits.

I like the idea.

Bosso

happyphilter
08-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I love the mosaic, but after looking at those ads we need something REALLY REALLY professional that will really connect with the viewer. These youtube videos may be nice for us to watch, but we need something pro...

ronpaulitician
08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I hadn't seen the 2nd one. It's a very good idea for a commercial.
I think it's a great idea.

Let's cut it down to 30 seconds, make sure to not have any duplicates. There are now 1,775 pictures upload (who's gonna be 1,776?!?). How many do we need to be able to have a high-res mosaic without duplicates?

I really like the WE WANT XXX motive.

spiteface
08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone, not sure if something similar has been posted yet but here (http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/election/index.php) is a site that has campaign commercials since 1952. Browsing through some of these ads might give us some good ideas.

MsDoodahs
08-15-2007, 07:46 PM
How about displaying quotes from the founding fathers as they relate to the issues at hand, and then show Ron Paul speaking on those issues.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." -- Benjamin Franklin
--> Paul talking about the Patriot Act

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." -- John Quincy Adams
--> Paul talking about Iraq

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none." -- Thomas Jefferson
--> Paul talking about blowback

I really like this idea. :)

MsDoodahs
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I personally think we have something special with the mosaic.

I like the testimonial idea. If, after each person addresses an issue, it goes to freeze frame creating that persons portrait which then flies into a group of portraits that fills the screen. The next testimonial then fills the screen, freezes to portrait and flies into the field of portraits. At the end, the field of portraits pans out into the mosaic.

I would mock this up, but I lack the software.

Bosso

Ron needs name and face recognition. I don't believe that using the mosaic concept is going to create enough of the name/face recognition for RP. Don't misunderstand, I LOVE the mosaic ad. I just don't think it works very well to get the RP name/face recognition that we so desperately need. JMO of course. :)

skiingff
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
[...]

0zzy
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow nice!

fairtaxPresident2008

I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! You made me drop a few tears! I HATE YOU! I'M MAN! AHHHHH... god that was effective.

Change the words a bit, ad a kick ass narrator, and god that would be pure gold.

mrchubbs
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! You made me drop a few tears! I HATE YOU! I'M MAN! AHHHHH... god that was effective.

Change the words a bit, ad a kick ass narrator, and god that would be pure gold.

I love this one as well. I like how it looks like the picture "sparkles" as it zooms out.

A modification of this ad down to 30 seconds and a bit of tinkering to remove the obvious duplicate photos as it scrolls would be highly effective in my opinion.

mrchubbs
08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Ok, I'm starting to sound repetitive but for those of you who haven't signed the pledge to fund these ads yet, please sign it. Pledge what you can, even if it's not what the pledge is asking for -- just sign it!!! Together we will get this done guys. The TV ad should only take a few weeks to make, and we need to have the funding and business arrangements in place by then so that once it's finished, we can immediately start airing it!!!

General pledge information
Creator Brandon Lloyd, freedom-loving American
Date created 15th August 2007
Date closes 31st October 2007
Status open for signers; not yet successful
Number of signers 13 / 160 (8.1% of target)
Estimated signers by deadline 154 (96.3% of target)
if signup rate continues as in last week
Categories Democracy and government

We have 8.1% of the total funding in place, minus those who've signed it but won't donate when it comes time or those who can't afford the whole amount. Let's aim for 125% of the funding needed!!! That way, even if we raise more than $20,000, we can simply run more ads!!! A single TV ad can cost as little as $25, so every dollar and cent counts to get RP's message out there!!!

P.S. I need a few people to help me start contacting each and every Meetup group in the United States to get them to participate in this. I have created a page-long letter explaining what we're doing and why, and how they can help. If you would like to assist me in contacting meetup groups, please PM or email me (skiwv@yahoo.com).

Thanks guys.... you all inspire me with your fantastic ideas!!! Keep it up!!!

Sign the pledge ----------> http://www.pledgebank.com/20kforpaul

I think someone should pin this post to get more to notice it. This is a great idea. I've signed up.

Go back and look at the Mosaic Ad... and get that feeling... you know that feeling like you are part of something big, then pledge pledge pledge!

paulitics
08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
My take is:

i think that list is great. no real id is a big issue in nh.

MsDoodahs
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
bump

skiingff
08-15-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm going to bed now.... this is the last sign up for the pledge reminder of the night. We have 15 people signed up. We need 145 more. Not bad for the first day! Sooner than we know, we'll have Ron Paul ads up and running in Iowa and New Hampshire. This campaign is kind of surreal.

Let's make it 20.

http://www.pledgebank.com/20kforpaul

http://www.pledgebank.com/20kforpaul

DeadheadForPaul
08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
i think that list is great. no real id is a big issue in nh.

Really? I feel like most people dont even know about it or care

ronpaulhawaii
08-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Box crashed mid-reply, lots of good ideas. IMO we will need more than one commericial eventually so we could have teams working on different ones.

I thought the Mosiac/Supporter ad idea early on was quite a good starting place.

Researching past vids was great, thanks to all who are finding them. The list of grievences is very good for ideas.

Full text of MORNING IN AMERICA:

"It's morning again in America. Today more men and women will go to work than ever before in our country's history. With interest rates at about half the record highs of 1980, nearly 2,000 families today will buy new homes, more than at any time in the past four years. This afternoon 6,500 young men and women will be married, and with inflation at less than half of what it was just four years ago, they can look forward with confidence to the future. It's morning again in America, and under the leadership of President Reagan, our country is prouder and stronger and better. Why would we ever want to return to where we were less than four short years ago?"

Notes: "Most political advertising hits viewers over the head, while this work makes just as strong a point but in a less confrontational and a more soothing manner."

Unfortunately, the morning ain't looking so hot. Here is a quick redraft of the above,

A long night in America is ending. As we awake to a new day, how many men and women will continue going to work alongside the illegals who are learning their jobs? With monetary policy managed by a private banking house, how many will lose the homes they have worked so hard for; How many will get divorced or have an abortion over these monetary stresses.The long night has brought endless war and mounting debt; It has brought a profound loss of confidence in the future.

There is Hope for America though. That long night is ending in America, and one candidate is presenting viable solutions to make America strong and secure again. A 10 term Congressman from Texas, Dr. Ron Paul.

Hope for America, be a part of it

Man from La Mancha
08-15-2007, 11:42 PM
I really like that mosaic video. I'm not creative like some of you. I thought I could show you a demographic on NH in case you are going to aim it NH but I think a genera one to start is best.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4652/1censqb3.jpg

Lord Xar
08-15-2007, 11:48 PM
That mosaic is VERY NICE... hahahahha.. Wow, that is REALLY TAKING OFF!! WOOT WOOT!

Listen... I also think that the halo MUST definetly be at the end, but use RON PAUL, HOPE FOR AMERICA.

Also, you must mention amnesty and secure borders..

other than that, and cutting it down... wow.

happyphilter
08-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I really do like the mosaic, but looking at those other vids, theres NO WAY this comes close to being as good as the others.