PDA

View Full Version : Tom Daschle's plan for a Federal Reserve Board for Healthcare (Obama LOVES it)

LinearChaos
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Did anyone catch Hannity and Colmes last when Tom Daschle was on, basically plugging his new book about Healthcare? Have you read much about his new book or his "Federal Health Board" proposal? Is Tom Daschle's idea what Obama has in store for us regarding Healthcare? Daschle has been quite the Obama sycophant, and Obama has praised Daschle's proposal.

The book was recently released and is available on Amazon. Here is what Obama has to say about it:

“The American health-care system is in crisis, and workable solutions have been blocked for years by deeply entrenched ideological divisions. Sen. Daschle brings fresh thinking to this problem, and his Federal Reserve for Health concept holds great promise for bridging this intellectual chasm and, at long last, giving this nation the health care it deserves.” —Senator Barack Obama (IL)

The Book (please wait at least 20 minutes after eating before reading):

"Critical: What We Can Do About the Health-Care Crisis"

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-What-About-Health-Care-Crisis/dp/0312383010

If you thought think the Federal Reserve Board is bad, this book and Daschle's "Big Ideas" re:Healthcare should send chills down your spine. A "Federal Health Board" system for Healthcare, i.e. The Federal Reserve for Healthcare, i.e. "Big Pharma calls the shots to pursue whatever its current profit-seeking agenda is" Scary stuff. I don't have the youtube but the clip of Daschle praising the Federal Reserve and his True Believer passion regarding this idea on Hannity and Colmes made me sick. Of course Daschle didn't bring up the coming $739B bailout which we know is merely one result of many from an unaccountable central counterfeiter.

Some excerpts from the Amazon review:

From Publishers Weekly
The U.S. is the only industrialized nation that does not guarantee necessary health care to all of its citizens, and as former senator Daschle observes, Skeptics say we can't afford to cover everyone; the truth is that we can't afford not to because U.S. economic competitiveness is being impeded by the large uninsured population and fast-rising health costs. Daschle's book delineates the weaknesses of previous attempts at national health coverage, outlines the complex economic factors and medical issues affecting coverage and sets forth plans for change. Daschle proposes creating a Federal Health Board, similar to the Federal Reserve System, whose structure, functions and enforcement capability would be largely insulated from the politics and passion of the moment, in addition to a merging of employers' plans, Medicaid and Medicare with an expanded FEHBP (Federal Employee Health Benefits Program) that would cover everyone. There is no more important issue facing our country, Daschle asserts, than reform of our health-care system, and the book's health-care horror stories bring this immediacy home. (Feb. 19)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

More articles/reviews/snippets.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/02/critical.html

"Daschle’s solution lies in the Federal Reserve Board, which has overseen the equally complicated financial system with great success. A Fed-like health board would offer a public framework within which a private health-care system can operate more effectively and efficiently—insulated from political pressure yet accountable to elected officials and the American people. Daschle argues that this independent board would create a single standard of care and exert tremendous influence on every other provider and payer, even those in the private sector."

Yes, accountable, to the people, and accountable to the Congress... just like the Federal Reserve is somehow held accountable for its actions I guess... oh wait... nevermind.... more propoganda and lies....

Soma anyone? Is this how Big Pharma is going to finish off the Healthcare debate? Much in the same way the Fed finished off the monetary debate? Will this be the door that the big pharma and the banksters use to sneak in and plunder (more)? Eugenics here we come, are you ready for a Brave New World?

LinearChaos
02-26-2008, 02:42 PM
bump

Give me liberty
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Hope and Change?

Nah doesnt look like it

LinearChaos
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Yes, the banksters and big pharma are hoping Obama will change the locks and give them the only set of keys.

LinearChaos
02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Lol. It appears that Daschle might be on to something, this kind of system is what we need to fix medicine....

So much for "accountability", is it too much of a stretch to replace "subprime mortgages" with "subprime medications"?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120399231864392551.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

We See The Problem, but What's the Answer?
February 26, 2008; Page A17

Martin Feldstein's "Our Economic Dilemma" (op-ed, Feb. 20) is correct in faulting the Federal Reserve for its failure to properly supervise the bank conglomerates that, either directly or indirectly, fueled the fires that have decimated financial markets in both this country and abroad. The response of regulators, and particularly the Fed, in the coming months will go a long way in determining whether a crisis of this kind can be avoided in the future.

From Our Economic Dilemma (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120347007609178711.html?mod=Letters):

There is plenty of blame to go around for the current situation. The Federal Reserve bears much of the responsibility, because of its failure to provide the appropriate supervisory oversight for the major money center banks. The Fed's banking examiners have complete access to all of the financial transactions of the banks that they supervise, and should have the technical expertise to evaluate the risks that those banks are taking. Because these banks provide credit to the nonbank financial institutions, the Fed can also indirectly examine what those other institutions are doing.

The Fed's bank examinations are supposed to assess the adequacy of each bank's capital and the quality of its assets. The Fed declared that the banks had adequate capital because it gave far too little weight to their massive off balance-sheet positions -- the structured investment vehicles (SIVs), conduits and credit line obligations -- that the banks have now been forced to bring onto their balance sheets. Examiners also overstated the quality of banks' assets, failing to allow for the potential bursting of the house price bubble.

"Sen. Daschle brings fresh thinking to this problem, and his Federal Reserve for Health concept holds great promise for bridging this intellectual chasm and, at long last, giving this nation the health care it deserves.” —Senator Barack Obama (IL)

:rolleyes:

Naraku
02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
That's just a bad idea. I like Obama's policy on government transparency and his foreign policy is far softer than Hillary or McCain, and not as radical as Paul's but his economic/entitlement policy is just absolutely horrid.

If he was more like Ron Paul on that he'd be pretty close to a perfect candidate for me.

LinearChaos
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
The H&C transcript:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/02/tom_daschle_on_hannity_colmes.html

COLMES: It's Alan Colmes. Good to have you on our show live. Good to have you with us tonight. You talk about in your book a Federal Reserve type system for the medical community. Explain how that concept transfers to health care.

DASCHLE: I think there are a lot of similarities between health care and our banking system that just don't seem apparent on the surface. We have a largely private banking system. I would like to see a largely private health care system. We have a private system that is backed up by government guarantees and a regulatory system largely run by probably the least bureaucratic agency of the federal government, the Federal Reserve. They have a few hundred employees is all, and yet they're able to regulate the monetary policy in this country, to make the private system work as effectively as it does.

That's exactly the kind of model I'd like to see in our health care system, reduce the bureaucracy, give the autonomy and the kind of ability to the federal health board that allows them to make the tough decisions. Today, Congress is making reimbursement on oxygen. And you just can't do that with any kind of efficiency or certainty.