PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian/Constitutional Coalition

donesteban
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Often in foreign countries with a parliamentary system when several parties have no chance alone, they run under one banner with a common platform. Although there are obvious disagreements between the two, the Libertarian and Constitution parties share some critical common ground. By moderating each's platform (like the CP giving up some of the religious rhetoric and the LP giving up open borders, for example) and creating this coalition and a common platform (after getting over the ballot hurdles of course) they might actually have a chance.

I already know some of you are gonna say "blah, blah, blah, principles, blah blah blah." Well I agree, but let's be pragmatic. Our platform is going to have to be much more moderate in order to sell ourselves to a mass market. Everything in stages after all ;)

Thoughts anyone?

Cleaner44
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
What are you proposing, a new party?

donesteban
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Well kind of...it would only be temporary though.

Bascially what im talking about is a tentative joining of the LP and the CP...a coalition of sorts.

I mean we need to keep the pressure on in addition to reforming the Republican party. The competition between the LP and CP is wasteful and doesn't help. We need to integrate them and set up a new platform that would be more moderate and more appealing.

pinkmandy
02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd like to see them all come together and support a viable 3rd party candidate we can all be proud of if we can't vote for RP as a candidate.

haigh
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Counting the ballot access status of the LP today I get 28 states.
Anyone know how the Constitution Party stands with ballot access?

donesteban
02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
By wikipedia, only 17. But a lot of this leftover money should be spent nationally on lawyers to get these ballot access laws overturned

Banana
02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Why not LP + CP get in GOP and take over the husk?

Primbs
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
It might be easier just to fight inside the Republican party.

BuddyRey
02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Ideologically, I just don't think these two parties are compatible. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try. I suppose that the fusion of the two would, on the whole, resemble something along the lines of what a Paleolibertarian Party (if such a thing existed) would be like.

If we brought the Greens on board, we could really be a force to be reckoned with!

donesteban
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
i don't know though...the Greens are liberals and would probably be the main adversary because wed be seen as "far right-wing" to them

pinkmandy
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I could see it ONLY for this election in getting behind one candidate. Not a party merger, they are too different on important issues.