PDA

View Full Version : Check It!! McCain in Ohio

trapfive
02-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Look folks this isn't right. In Ohio, accepting matching funds allows a candidate to for-go the delegate petition process, which apparently McCain did. RP supporters beat the streets to come up with signatures because Dr. Paul wasn't using the matching funds. Now McCain says he's opting out of the matching funds...shouldn't he need petitions signed to be on the ballot? Since the deadline has passed........read page 10 (0RC Section 3513.121)

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/ElectionsVoter/OhioElections.aspx?Section=2628-

acptulsa
02-26-2008, 08:37 AM
So, how do we convince the state to reprint all their ballots?

Do they use ballots or machines? Can we sue them if they have McCain's name on electronic voting machines?

bbartlog
02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
You sure about that? Because as I recall the deal was that you needed to qualify (be approved by the FEC) for matching funds, *not* that you needed to take them, in order to get on the ballot. Do you have some supporting link or documentation that you need to *accept* matching funds to get on this ballot (absent a petitioning effort)?

trapfive
02-26-2008, 08:46 AM
So, how do we convince the state to reprint all their ballots?

Do they use ballots or machines? Can we sue them if they have McCain's name on electronic voting machines?

I have no idea!! I'm sick of this whole sordid/corrupt process. Makes a fellow want to write in Roger Clemens on the ballot.....under Dr. Paul of course.

slamhead
02-26-2008, 08:49 AM
You sure about that? Because as I recall the deal was that you needed to qualify (be approved by the FEC) for matching funds, *not* that you needed to take them, in order to get on the ballot. Do you have some supporting link or documentation that you need to *accept* matching funds to get on this ballot (absent a petitioning effort)?

Has McCain been released from the matching funds yet? Last I heard the FEC was holding him to the matching funds as he used the funds as collateral for a bank loan.

trapfive
02-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Filing Requirements for Delegates and Alternate Delegates Under ORC Section
3513.121:
Under Ohio Revised Code Section 3513.121, any presidential candidate who is eligible to receive
payments under the “Presidential Primary Matching Payment Account Act” may file a
Declaration of Candidacy and a list of at-large and district delegates and alternate delegates
with the Ohio secretary of state, bypassing the petition process. The delegates must be selected
in accordance with Article X of the Ohio Republican Party State Central and Executive
Committee Permanent Rules.
Filing Requirements for Delegates and Alternate Delegates Not Meeting the
Requirements of ORC Section 3513.121:
At-Large Delegates and Alternate Delegates: For those candidates who do not qualify under
Ohio Revised Code Section 3513.121, petitions for each at-large delegate and at-large alternate
delegate must be signed by at least 1,000 but no more than 3,000 registered Republicans and filed
with the office of the Ohio secretary of state

The way I read it, the matching funds relieve you of the petition process. Without the funds you need 1,000 signatures for each delegate. I may be wrong...I don't know

pinkmandy
02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Under Ohio Revised Code Section 3513.121, any presidential candidate who is eligible to receive
payments under the “Presidential Primary Matching Payment Account Act” may file a
Declaration of Candidacy and a list of at-large and district delegates and alternate delegates
with the Ohio secretary of state, bypassing the petition process.

Just eligible. ;)

trapfive
02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
thanks pinkmandy.....I feel much better now. No, I don't.

acptulsa
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Just eligible. ;)

Not according to NPR News this morning. He's taking heat over it. If he does opt out of matching funds, this will be an issue.

pinkmandy
02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Not according to NPR News this morning. He's taking heat over it. If he does opt out of matching funds, this will be an issue.

Seriously? Well I'm not going to complain if I'm wrong, lol!

ps I hope all the stress doesn't cause him to have a stroke or something.

Sarge
02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
It is too bad someone doesn't file a protest to the GOP asap before 3/4.

McCain got a free ride on getting on the ballot and now says he doesn't want matching funds.
No one else got that free ride. He got a free ride in other states also, but I can't figure out which ones.

Either he takes the matching funds or he shouldn't be on the ballot.

With a protest, it might force the GOP to say you can't have it both ways. If nothing else it might be a record for later.

bbartlog
02-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Not according to NPR News this morning.

You are talking past each other. Pinkmandy is right about the Ohio ballot access provisions (i.e. McCain only needed to qualify for, *not* accept, matching funds to get on the ballot). The issue being rehashed on NPR is whether McCain has effectively already accepted matching funds (and the accompanying limitations) by using them as collateral for a loan to his campaign. NPR isn't up enough on election minutiae to be discussing Ohio ballot access issues :-)

Rhys
02-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I think a few good lawyers need to file suit and contact some AG's about the whole everything to do with his loan and matching funds.

The ONLY reason he's still in the race, again ONLY, is because he used his donors list as collateral against a loan, with matching funds being the Guarantor of his debt. No matching funds, he wouldn't still be in the race. Now, to opt out of matching funds should at least cost him a tremendous legal headache.

Sarge
02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Look what I found,

http://s3.amazonaws.com/apache.3cdn.net/507bebf15221e67b78_rym6vqsxp.pdf

Looks like McCain might have problems. Note Page 4- 1 and second to last page in paticular.

Besides Ohio, he got on in KY, Montana and Delaware.