PDA

View Full Version : Paul Won't go against GOP

bobbyw24
02-26-2008, 05:26 AM
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Find-Freedom.htm?At=030571

Paul won't go against GOP

By APRIL CASTRO
Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Acknowledging his imminent failure, maverick Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said Saturday that he won't get back into the race for the White House as an independent candidate once a GOP nominee is solidified.

"I have no plans to do that," Paul told a small group of reporters before a rally. "I would suspect that if we don't win, if the trends continue we're not likely to win, that I will run for Congress."

The 10-term congressman from Texas has became a fundraising phenomenon, but he lags in the delegate race behind frontrunner and likely nominee Sen. John McCain. During the campaign, Paul brought in a record $6 million in one day, and $18 million in less than three months, though he still registers in single digits in most polls.

The Libertarian-leaning Paul has campaigned on an economic platform of abolishing the federal income tax and returning to the gold standard and says he's pleased that his message has garnered so much enthusiasm.

"We tapped into a real nerve. People have really responded way above anything I ever dreamed of," said Paul, a 72-year-old obstetrician-gynecologist and former Air Force flight surgeon. "I believed it would take another generation before we could get this much enthusiasm for what I'm talking about."

Later in the day, Paul gave his limited-government stump speech to a crowd of about 4,000 people on the University of Texas at Austin campus.

For longtime supporter Jeff Kantoff, 42, the speech was bittersweet.

He said he was disappointed that the campaign seemed destined for failure, but amazed that so many people had been attracted to Paul's message. He blamed the media for marginalizing Paul in favor of better-known candidates.

"He's doing the right thing, he needs to stay in Congress," Kantoff said. "Hope isn't in the presidency, it's in Congress."

The only Republican in the race to oppose the war in Iraq, Paul has said that he is committed to being a Republican and will not try to run as a third-party candidate.

Texas holds both presidential and congressional primaries on March 4. Paul is opposed in the Republican congressional primary by Chris Peden, a Friendswood city councilman.

Fox McCloud
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
This article is designed to be nothing more than to say that Ron "doesn't have a chance"...ok, so when he does have a chance, early on, the media ignores him, but when it's obvious to everyone that he doesn't have a chance (except under very special circumstances), THEN the media is all over it, all the time.

Talk about hypocrisy.

IPSecure
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that's because he will win the nomination!

Need Proof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJABfBN6ew

280Z28
02-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that's because he will win the nomination!

Need Proof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJABfBN6ew

Finally, someone gets it.

jacmicwag
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
The good old days - when the GOP had a set.

robo1415
02-27-2008, 01:39 AM
If I were him...I would run 3rd Party and do what I could do to keep McPain from winning...

Kotin
02-27-2008, 01:48 AM
make them think you are weak, then pounce.