PDA

View Full Version : An Inevitable Secession?

Nate K
02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north609.html

There's a good article you should all read. I've been harping about local government for a bit and for good reason. While many of you might not agree with the point he makes that that our "laundry list" will never be achieved in Congress, you should still at least consider that option and prepare for it.

Do any of you agree that the current economic path is due for what Gary North describes as inevitable secession?

Nate K
02-25-2008, 11:42 AM
digg it while you're at it.

Naraku
02-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Nonsense. The Post Office? Really? The Post Office has traditionally been part of federal government and is in the Constitution explicitly as a responsibility of the federal government.

Libertytree
02-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Excellent article! I agree "almost" 100%, with the exception that local government will survive such a storm.

ARealConservative
02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Nonsense. The Post Office? Really? The Post Office has traditionally been part of federal government and is in the Constitution explicitly as a responsibility of the federal government.

the power to establish post offices was given, but not the power to enforce a monopoly over private business.

Where in the constitution does it say a business can't compete with the post office?

Anyway, getting into the individual line items isn't his point. The point he was making is we will never win this battle politically, we will win it economically by default because the other side will eventually be crushed under their ever increasing girth.

I don't like to sound as pessimistic as that guy, but I quietly agree.

SigurdVolsung
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
My friends and I have been discussing the current trends surrounding the idea of states and I think you will end up seeing a devolution towards localism.

This might mean more power to states and local government, or possibly secession, or maybe something like The Articles of Confederation. Its hard to predict

Historicalyy you can see we have been going through a strong statist phase, but if you look at the clamoring of more and more local groups for autonomy and independence

along regional and ethnic lines, you might see a foretaste of whats in the future with Balkan issues, and seperatist movements around the world. Even Britain granting

autonomy or independence to Scotland or Wales.

Nate K
02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
bump

Mortikhi
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I'd like to see Florida seceed.

Our state's budget is $75B this year, and that's with NO INCOME TAX.