PDA

View Full Version : NEW Thoughts on the Ron Paul Write-it

Patriot
02-25-2008, 08:06 AM
I, like many of you, will be writing in the name of Ron Paul in the general election. But it occurred to me this morning that we may have to also write-in the name of a vice-president. Does anyone know if that is the case and if so, who do we want to write-in?

newbitech
02-25-2008, 08:09 AM
I'd also like to know how to write in a candidate on those electronic voting machines.

rgavula
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Patriot -

I am working with several others to organize a write-in campaign. As I understand it, the individual write-in voter does not have to specify a Vice-Presidential candidate.
What is required in many states is that the Presidential candidate seeking write-in election must specify their Vice-Presidential choice within their declaration of write-in candidacy.

Even in the event that a state does require the voter to specify both President and Vice-President on the ballot, if the Presidential candidate is discernable, the vote will be counted for the President/Vice Presidential duo that was declared by the candidate.

This formal declaration must be filed by the candidate with each Sec. of State/Board of Elections, in order for the write-in votes to actually be counted/reported. This is primarily what my team is working to do. We have been in contact with Dr. Paul's National Campaign representatives to ensure that we will have his signed declarations submitted to each state prior to their deadlines.

We are working to make this as easy as possible for the voters. In return, what we ask of everyone is to KEEP TALKING TO OTHERS ABOUT RON PAUL. This write-in campaign is dependent on word-of-mouth spread of Dr. Paul's message. Reach out and convince one new write-in voter each month, and encourage those people to do the same. If we work this approach all the way to November, we will have numbers sufficient to win in a field of candidates with un-enthusiastic supporters.

liberteebell
02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd also like to know how to write in a candidate on those electronic voting machines.

Take a permanent black sharpie and write "Ron Paul" in big letters on the screen ;)

No seriously, on the lovely Diebold machines in my area, there has always been a place for a write in. However, someone recently told me that you can't write in a presidential candidate because you're choosing the electors for that candidate and that write ins don't count unless the candidate has actually gotten on the ballot as a write in.

How true any of this is, I don't know and I'd be willing to bet that the rules vary by state. Maybe someone reading this knows.

rgavula
02-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, the electronic voting machines generally have a keypad at the bottom, where a write-in candidate can be entered.

You're partially correct on the subject of electors. Some states (such as CA, CT, FL, NJ, OH, VA) do require that electors be named, but not by the individual voter. The states that require elector information, require it on the candidate's declaration of intent for write-in eligibility.

Generally, a write-in voter need only specify their choice for President. Vice-Presidential and Electoral choices will be determined by what is specified by the Presidential candidate on their filing with the state.

The filing is what is key to the whole write-in process, as it ensures that the votes will be counted and reported for the candidate. That is what my group is focusing on, so that all the voters have to do is cast their votes for Ron Paul.

rgavula
02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
And just to be clear - the declarations of intent for write-in candidacy will not resulte in the candidate's name appearing on the ballot. Ballot access is a separate and in most cases, more involved and costly process.

If anyone would like to volunteer to be a write-in coordinator in their state, please let me know, and I will add you to our contact list.

liberteebell
02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
And just to be clear - the declarations of intent for write-in candidacy will not resulte in the candidate's name appearing on the ballot. Ballot access is a separate and in most cases, more involved and costly process.

If anyone would like to volunteer to be a write-in coordinator in their state, please let me know, and I will add you to our contact list.

Wouldn't it be best to have ballot access also? In VA, most of it was done with volunteers anyway and we could manage to do it again.

What is involved in being a write-in coordinator?

rgavula
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM
We ask that the write-in coordinators research/verify the specific requirements for write-in eligibility in their state/region. If the state requires a petition, or pledged electors, the coordinator would be responsible for obtaining those signatures, and on the proper form(s).

We expect to present all materials to Dr. Paul and his campagin managers, well in advance of the state filing deadlines, to ensure that there is sufficient time for them to review, sign and file the forms with each state.

Ballot access generally requires more petitions, more signatures, more forms, and more fees than write-in access. Additionally, it may require greater voter coordination. We already have a sizeable field of Ron Paul supporters who intend to write him in for President in November. We want to ensure that those votes will count, as well as to build on the number of voters who will write him in.

liberteebell
02-25-2008, 10:54 AM
We ask that the write-in coordinators research/verify the specific requirements for write-in eligibility in their state/region. If the state requires a petition, or pledged electors, the coordinator would be responsible for obtaining those signatures, and on the proper form(s).

We expect to present all materials to Dr. Paul and his campagin managers, well in advance of the state filing deadlines, to ensure that there is sufficient time for them to review, sign and file the forms with each state.

Ballot access generally requires more petitions, more signatures, more forms, and more fees than write-in access. Additionally, it may require greater voter coordination. We already have a sizeable field of Ron Paul supporters who intend to write him in for President in November. We want to ensure that those votes will count, as well as to build on the number of voters who will write him in.

OK, thanks. If you don't have anyone in VA, I will see if someone will do it; if not, I will.

Patriot
02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks to all the replies. I doubt if Dr. Paul will be an 'official' write-in candidate, I plan to write him in as a protest vote.