PDA

View Full Version : It's all about name recognition!

Sematary
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
As anyone can tell, just from watching the MSM and from watching the polls, American voters understand one thing - name recognition. I'd say that a majority of voters don't even have a clue what the person they are voting for when they vote. They generally vote along party lines, expecting the same-o from that party.
So, we have THREE distinct goals that we have to meet, as the street team for Ron Paul:

1. We have to get his name out there and it has to be done in such a way as to make sure that people understand he is running for president. Many people actually see the name but don't connect it with anything in particular because many of the signs, banners, etc... don't state that he is running for president. THAT needs to change.

2. We have to get the people we DO reach to understand that he is NOT like the other candidates - in either party. I stress that he is the only candidate in either party who wants to get out of Iraq - NOW! I stress the IRS thing (especially with older voters - over thirty) and I stress the fact that he wants to end the selective service and the possibility of the draft with younger voters. I never mention abortion unless it's specifically asked about - same for the war on drugs. Those are two very contentious issues with people that I'd rather they discovered on their own AFTER they start becoming familiar with him. Again, this doesn't apply to younger people because they are pretty much a sure bet to want to end the war on drugs.

3. We have to get people to understand that in order for this gentleman to have a chance, we have to register Republican and vote for him in the primaries.
More often than not, when I am putting slimjims on people's cars in parking lots I'm bound to end up talking to quite a few people as well. Don't badger them. Just ask them to take a look and if they have questions, they will ask. One of the most annoying things is for someone to badger them and that is a failing of our enthusiasm for Ron Paul. We want to let people know - but they get annoyed and we end up losing an opportunity. Keep it low key, polite and civil and NEVER ARGUE! Just say thankyou for looking, and move on.

scrosnoe
08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I would suggest that flyers on streets and cars is a valiant but largely wasted effort. Try going to a Republican meeting and passing out slim jims and visiting with the people there or attending your county party fundraiser or volunteering to serve as a republican party precinct chairman . . .

Sematary
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I would suggest that flyers on streets and cars is a valiant but largely wasted effort. Try going to a Republican meeting and passing out slim jims and visiting with the people there or attending your county party fundraiser or volunteering to serve as a republican party precinct chairman . . .

The idea is to get name recognition - so definitely NOT a wasted effort. If you go to a political party meeting, they are already going to know who he is and that won't help with name recognition. If you are planning on being a delegate then your plan is fine but if people don't know who he is, there is no chance in hell they will vote for him.

escapinggreatly
08-15-2007, 12:52 PM
I'd say a majority of the people I've had political conversations with in the past two weeks didn't know who Ron Paul was beforehand.

Obviously, there's only one way to remedy this - Ron has to become a 19-year-old white girl, then get kidnapped. The media will be all over it.

Wyurm
08-15-2007, 03:36 PM
1. We have to get his name out there and it has to be done in such a way as to make sure that people understand he is running for president. Many people actually see the name but don't connect it with anything in particular because many of the signs, banners, etc... don't state that he is running for president. THAT needs to change.

I really don't care what you think, I'm not getting rid of my Ron Paul Revolution shirts just because you don't like them. Something you're sadly ignoring is the fact that a HUGE majority of people are completely disgusted with politics. Any idea how many people I've heard do an instant block of "I don't vote" or "I don't get involved with politics" when I try casually discussing the candidates, not even mentioning RP? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be announcing Ron Paul for President, but what I am saying is that you should think before you tell people that use the "who is Ron Paul?" or "Ron Paul Revolution" signs, shirts, etc... that they need to say anything else.

Your idea of including "for president" caters to the political group. Our method of using intrigue does require more time to sink in and more time to have an effect, but it affects a MUCH larger group of people who will eventually have to find out for themselves just who Ron Paul is.

I do agree with what you're saying but please be mindful of the fact that there are alot of different ways of thinking being represented on this forum, which means different areas of expertise. So, just because you don't understand how a certain marketing gimmick works, doesn't mean it doesn't work. The idea behind the gimmicky phrases is to incite curiosity in people that might be turned off by a political message or the word "Republican".