PDA

View Full Version : David Boaz ee NO candidate for libertarians

hawks4ronpaul
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Boaz, on C-Span2 now, said he "can't imagine" for whom libertarians will vote (implying there is no libertarian candidate).

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

ArrestPoliticians
02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
The "inside the beltway" liberaltarians have been saying this from the beginning.

WilliamC
02-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Establishment Libertarians are all for big government and war.

Of course they don't support Ron Paul.

yongrel
02-24-2008, 09:34 PM
There is a very good reason why the LP is a failure of a party.

HarryBrowneLives
02-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Cato can continue to throw flowers at the feet and share coctails with the establsihment while they continue to destroy the country unabated.

At the same time, Cato and it's insiders continue to thumb their noses at anyone who preaches libertarian ideals like RP.

In short, Cato can kiss my ass. As for the money I have given to them over the years ... where is my refund?

They have done little to adavance the cause except for their own cause of fundraising letters and fat-cat jobs in their ivory tower.

There are legions of big and small L libertarians in this country like me who would not bat an eye if their offices folded up tommorrow.

Banana
02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
There is a very good reason why the LP is a failure of a party.

I'm starting to see why.

I was flabbergasted when my state's primary was being challenged by a class action of Democrat party (no surprise), Republican party (on same payroll), and Libertarian party (!!!).

This begins to explain why they aren't going anywhere....

Johncjackson
02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Well, most people live in reality at this point. Most primaries are over, so it is true the chance to vote for Ron Paul has come and gone for many.

RP ( who understands life and reality a litle more than many of his "supporters") himself has said he doesn't plan to be on the general election ballot. At this point in time political pundits are looking towards the general election and looking at the libertarian choice between mcCcain ( Rep nominee) and Hil/Obama. Between those, are you saying there is a choice for libertarians.

And if you are using this to take shots at the LP, you are an idiot. Notice Boaz did NOT say vote LP, either. Bust comprehension ( of anything) is a rare skill these days.

When in reality, there are MANY Libertarian presidential candidates.

Most small l libertarians when they look at the options they are looking at the general election Republicans and Dems. As those are the only "electables."

He could say "write in Ron Paul" I guess.

ETA:
Ron Paul Republicans and Libertarian Party both seem to have the same beefs with Boaz/Cato. That's what I was trying to say about the LP attacks. We ( I am both) are all in the same boat.

And EVERY libertarian I know including people who work for Cato and reason are against the war. If anything they are STRONGER on individual rights, IMHO. The only reason to think all libertarians are hawks is if you buy into the whole political strategy of appealing to angry idiots.

Caulfield
02-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Establishment Libertarians are all for big government and war.

Of course they don't support Ron Paul.

Do you even know what an "Establishment Libertarian" is, or how you might classify one? Would it be the people that are deeply entrenched in the Party, like those on the Libertarian National Committee, who just recently passed a resolution condemning the Iraq war?

I'd get your facts straight.

WilliamC
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Do you even know what an "Establishment Libertarian" is, or how you might classify one? Would it be the people that are deeply entrenched in the Party, like those on the Libertarian National Committee, who just recently passed a resolution condemning the Iraq war?

I'd get your facts straight.

My apologizes for generalizing.

By "establishment Libertarians" I am talking about those Libertarians who claim to be for small government but actually work towards more government and/or accomodation with the current status quo of government, instead real reductions in the size and power of government.

The Cato institution comes to mind. Look at their mission Statement on the front page of their website.

from http://www.cato.org/about.php

Cato's Mission

"The Cato Institute seeks to broaden the parameters of public policy debate to allow consideration of the traditional American principles of limited government, individual liberty, free markets and peace. Toward that goal, the Institute strives to achieve greater involvement of the intelligent, concerned lay public in questions of policy and the proper role of government."

Gee, "broaden the parameters of public policy..."? "allow considerations of...? "...achieve greater involvement..."?

That's all well and fine, but those don't sound like the words of an organization that actually wants to see the Federal government shrink back to it's Constitutionally mandated size.

Those sound like the words of an organization that likes it's connections to power.

When I see Cato calling for the elimination of the Federal Reserve and the IRS, changing the foreign policy of the United States from one of global empire and war to securing the borders and non-interventionism then maybe I'll respect them.

Again to quote from their website, "Our greatest challenge today is to extend the promise of political freedom and economic opportunity to those who are still denied it, in our own country and around the world."

Err, no. Our greatest challenge today is to reduce the size and scope of the Federal government that is rapidly approaching a critical mass where it will either impose a harsher police state on us or collapse in financial ruin.

Ron Paul might not even believe it is possible to stop the coming economic collapse, but at least with his leadership and the help of like minded politicians we can minimize the damage and recover from it a quickly as possible.

Gee, why am I thinking of Issac Asimov right now

HarryBrowneLives
02-25-2008, 04:32 PM
"Forgetting" about libertarian style candidates didn't start with Boaz this week. Not once have I seen such a candidate (including RP) mentioned (if at all) in a positive light by any of these ass clowns.

... they don't want to offend anyone inside the beltway and hurt their chances having dinner with the President.

Unfortunately, to get our freedoms back and the country back on some sense of governmental sanity, we're gonna have to offend a lot of these people.

... since their insane policies are so offensive to us.

Do we have to be jerks? No, but this ain't gettin' accompished during the cocktail hour either:)