PDA

View Full Version : McCain wins Puerto Rico

Paul4Prez
02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
According to the AP, McCain has won all 20 delegates in Puerto Rico, as well as 9 in American Samoa and 9 in the Marianas Islands this weekend:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080224/ap_on_el_pr/puerto_rico_republicans

Anyone know if the news report matches the delegate reality?

This part was interesting:

In a letter to Luis Fortuno, Puerto Rico's nonvoting congressional delegate and a superdelegate, McCain pledged to support a process that would enable Puerto Ricans to decide if they want to remain a commonwealth, become a state or an independent nation.

"The people of Puerto Rico deserve a process of self-determination and a congressionally defined referendum that gives them a fair and unambiguous choice among status options," McCain wrote. "That is one of the many important things that we will accomplish together."

Seems like Ron Paul would have been all over the self-determination angle for Puerto Ricans....

nate895
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
BS, Someone else would have had to have gotten 20% of the vote.

Nyte
02-25-2008, 09:37 AM
So Puerto Rico has 23 delegates, but only 208 people even voted?

Seems extremely disproportionate...

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/PR-R.phtml

revolutionman
07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Thats because delegates are figured by population and party registration. Problem with Puerto Rico is that since they cannot vote for President in the General Election they really dont care about the primaries. We have our own political parties and our own political issues that vary a bit from the states, and thats where the focus lies. Our political parties are associated with American political parties though.

example I'm a Registered PNP, a party whos focal point is its pro statehood stance, that party corresponds with the Republican party, therefor, I'm actually a registered republican. So my registration goes toward figuring how many delegates we have, but wtf would i bother voting in the primary if I cant vote in the general??

Its complicated and intricate, i really don't know all there is to know on the matter. Since my liason to Puerto Rican politics Peter Nieves died last month, I am left to figure it out for myself. Peter was a good old boy, a Korean War Veteran involved in the Legion until the day he died.