PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot now asks for date of birth

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
i just bought some mirrors, mirror glue, and 2 cans of spraypaint just now at HD. i was asked for my birth date because of the spraypaint. i asked why and they said it was because i could go home and "huff" the paint. i said back, "but i was going to use them to be a terrorist, but ill try huffing instead", and walked off. funny to me....just another knock on our privacy.:mad: the lady that checked me out laughed , but i just wonder if she realizes the way things like this are progressing. I didnt think to ask what the age cuttoff was to buy the paint, or if they just notify the cops if someone uder that age buys spraypaint. either way bigbrother is lurking.

Dr.3D
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Emmm... next time tell her gold and silver spray paint are best for that.
And then ask if she sees any gold or silver around your mouth or nose.

You can't buy some things from the drug store anymore without giving them your birth date either.

Notice when you get a prescription filled, they ask right away what your birth date is?

Agent CSL
02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
This has been in effect for awhile now, to my knowledge. It's just becoming more widespread. I buy all my paints at a small art supply store (where ironically it's cheaper too). I was 16, whole basket full of paint and glazes, and not one question. Some people still respect privacy and usually it's the small stores that aren't under any big HQ policy to do it.

It's all in an effort to save us from ourselves. When we agree to it for things like checking ID/age for alcohol, we give the state another inch to expand and we never draw the line much less enforce where the line has to be drawn.

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Im a bit pissed stuff like this is happening. My wife told me she had trouble buying my son his paintball gun at Walmart. she went to the register with him laying it up there (hes 12) and she pulled out her debit card to pay for it. She said the register girl freaked out saying he wasnt old enough to buy the paintball gun. my wife got pissed and told her that SHE was buying it not him, so ring it up. She refused and called a manager. My wife told the manager that she is the parent and she is paying for it, and she sees nothing wrong with a paintball gun, bb gun, or real gun as long as me and her approves. the manager agreed and made the girl ring it up.

She told me this after the HD moment today. So....next time i go to Walmart im going to load up and buy on purpose the following....spraypaint, can of compressed air(computer dusting kind), jug of BBs, box of paintballs, CO2 cartridges, 5 boxes of 12Gauge shells, hunting knife, beer, box of magnum condems and a disposable douche just because. Ill make it a pain for everyone, all the while laughing and talking in a muslim accent. And it wont help things either because I shave my head bald anyway and look like a killer anyhow says my wife.

The One
02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
You'll feel worse when they stop asking you....it means you're getting old. I'm 33 now, and I haven't been asked in years.:(

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2008, 12:48 PM
You'll feel worse when they stop asking you....it means you're getting old. I'm 33 now, and I haven't been asked in years.:(

Im 33 too. :D

Agent CSL
02-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Im a bit pissed stuff like this is happening. My wife told me she had trouble buying my son his paintball gun at Walmart. she went to the register with him laying it up there (hes 12) and she pulled out her debit card to pay for it. She said the register girl freaked out saying he wasnt old enough to buy the paintball gun. my wife got pissed and told her that SHE was buying it not him, so ring it up. She refused and called a manager. My wife told the manager that she is the parent and she is paying for it, and she sees nothing wrong with a paintball gun, bb gun, or real gun as long as me and her approves. the manager agreed and made the girl ring it up.

She told me this after the HD moment today. So....next time i go to Walmart im going to load up and buy on purpose the following....spraypaint, can of compressed air(computer dusting kind), jug of BBs, box of paintballs, CO2 cartridges, 5 boxes of 12Gauge shells, hunting knife, beer, box of magnum condems and a disposable douche just because. Ill make it a pain for everyone, all the while laughing and talking in a muslim accent. And it wont help things either because I shave my head bald anyway and look like a killer anyhow says my wife.
Oh please please please tell us how that goes! Sounds like hella funny!

But in regards to Wal Mart freakout girl, that's over the top. :( A whole generation is producing Wal Mart freakout girls to work there.

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Ill post what happens and how long it takes to get through the line.

coastie
02-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Thats funny, I had a wally world girl freak out on me buying ammo.

When I asked her why that store(or any other in my area, for that matter) did'nt carry hollow points for my caliber (.45 ACP:cool:), she asked me without skipping a beat, "Well, what do you need those for?":confused:

I then told her that a .45 slug, which you carry, will go through a person, a wall and then into another person, whereas a hollow point will expand to nearly twice its original size, thereby increasing the likelyhood of immediate blood pressure loss of the assailant, in turn stopping the attack. Also, this reduces the velocity of the bullet, and it will probably remain in him.
'
She was like:eek:. I then bought 4 boxes of the Remmington UMC 100 full metal jacket (slugs) packs from them, and left.:D

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2008, 06:32 PM

When I asked her why that store(or any other in my area, for that matter) did'nt carry hollow points for my caliber (.45 ACP:cool:), she asked me without skipping a beat, "Well, what do you need those for?":confused:

I then told her that a .45 slug, which you carry, will go through a person, a wall and then into another person, whereas a hollow point will expand to nearly twice its original size, thereby increasing the likelyhood of immediate blood pressure loss of the assailant, in turn stopping the attack. Also, this reduces the velocity of the bullet, and it will probably remain in him.
'
She was like:eek:. I then bought 4 boxes of the Remmington UMC 100 full metal jacket (slugs) packs from them, and left.:D

haha! Nice!

Mesogen
02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Just make sure to buy cell phones in bulk.

Michael Ingram
02-25-2008, 06:29 PM

'

haha omg rofl that sounds so great haha, i can just imagine the look on her face

freedominnumbers
02-25-2008, 11:11 PM
This particular issue isn't about restricting your liberties.

The issue is selling dangerous things to minors.
If a kid huffs spray paint from Home Depot and dies there is a good shot the parent would sue Home Depot for selling a minor spray paint. Because of this many stores have a no sales to under 18 policy for all kinds of items such as paint, lighters and knives.

There may even be a state law depending on where you are. All throughout my life as a teenager it was hit or miss whether I could get matches or a lighter from a gas station.

sophocles07
02-25-2008, 11:44 PM

I would love to have the Wal-Mart security tapes of this incident.

GoDrNo
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM

If a kid huffs spray paint from Home Depot and dies there is a good shot the parent would sue Home Depot for selling a minor spray paint. Because of this many stores have a no sales to under 18 policy for all kinds of items such as paint, lighters and knives.

There may even be a state law depending on where you are. All throughout my life as a teenager it was hit or miss whether I could get matches or a lighter from a gas station.

Spoken like a good little sheep....why the hell aren't parents held responsible for the acts of their children anymore?? You honestly don't believe all these polices have been put in place just to see how much they can get away with before the American people wake the hell up? This is just another way of them saying "WE know what's best for you.." I know I personally won't go into a store any longer that requires me to go to the damn pharmacy to pick up some OVER THE COUNTER cough syrup or allergy medication.

dawnbt
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM

LMAO! Priceless!

familydog
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Spoken like a good little sheep....why the hell aren't parents held responsible for the acts of their children anymore?? You honestly don't believe all these polices have been put in place just to see how much they can get away with before the American people wake the hell up? This is just another way of them saying "WE know what's best for you.." I know I personally won't go into a store any longer that requires me to go to the damn pharmacy to pick up some OVER THE COUNTER cough syrup or allergy medication.

You see, the great thing about this whole situation is.........

Home Depot is a private company. It is not the government. This isn't a civil liberty issue. Like you said, don't shop there if you don't like what they do. It's very simple. This is nothing more than Home Depot appealing to the "family friendly" and "responsible corparation" crowd.

I don't like it as much as you. That's why I don't shop there. But this isn't a civil liberty crisis.

GoDrNo
02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
You see, the great thing about this whole situation is.........

Home Depot is a private company. It is not the government. This isn't a civil liberty issue. Like you said, don't shop there if you don't like what they do. It's very simple. This is nothing more than Home Depot appealing to the "family friendly" and "responsible corparation" crowd.

I don't like it as much as you. That's why I don't shop there. But this isn't a civil liberty crisis.

Never said it was a civil liberty issue, I said these policies have been put in place to see how much the American people are willing to put up with.

satchelmcqueen
02-29-2008, 05:38 PM

it is to me. i see your point though but still i dont agree.

A rope leash
02-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I say let the little bastards huff it up. Anyone that stupid obviously needs to learn the hard way. That kind of hobby doesn't last long, usually.

Home Depot can kiss my ass. They don't want to sell spray paint to kids so that they won't have their walls tagged. They don't give a shit if some punk is stupid enough to snort it. If they want to put an age limit on spray paint, they can ask for an identification card, and they don't need a law to do it...you can take your sorry ass down to Lowe's and get the same treatment, so what do they care?!

Spray paint? I've got better things to do, I hope...!

Fox McCloud
03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Also keep in mind that Home Depot is a avid supporter of gun control....also, if you'll notice, it's very difficult (if not impossible) to finds knives sold at their place too. Hey, it's their store, they have the right to do what they want....but, I just thought you should know *coughboycottcough*.

yup! Precisely. This is why I don't support breaking up the media conglomerates or imposing regulations on them (despite how awful they have treated Ron Paul). At the end of the day, the problem is not just the corporations running the media, it's the fact that the FCC helps prop up and create the media monopolies (not to mention nearly all communications monopolies) in the first place.

Dr.3D
03-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm about to go down to Wally world and buy 1500 rounds of 22 lr ammunition. I wonder what they are going to think about that.

satchelmcqueen
03-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Well, i just got back from WalMart!!

I bought some 12Gauge slugs and double 00 buck first but had to pay for it at that register . I then loaded up on beer, spraypaint (gold), pack of socks, condoms, compressed air, Co2, paintballs, BBs, a large machette, a hunting knife, matches and colman fuel.

I went to check out and the lady seemed rather freaked out because almost everything in the buggy had the age requirements on it. She only asked once and had to see my licence once (beer) but still it was funny. I was also wearing my Metallica "Kill em' All" shirt which has a shadow hand, a hammer and a huge blood pile. Google the album cover to see what I mean here.

It was fun!!