PDA

View Full Version : $70 Million for Section 8 Housing?

CodeMonkey
08-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I was perusing ontheissues.org and discovered that Ron Paul voted "Yes" for an amendment which would add $70 million for Section 8 Housing to an appropriations bill (H.R. 5576). Is this another deal where this isn't adding to the taxpayer cost of the bill, but the money is just being shifted from someplace else?

pyroman1
07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
I was perusing ontheissues.org and discovered that Ron Paul voted "Yes" for an amendment which would add $70 million for Section 8 Housing to an appropriations bill (H.R. 5576). Is this another deal where this isn't adding to the taxpayer cost of the bill, but the money is just being shifted from someplace else?

Hopefully this is better late than never, but I came across your post here when someone asked me this very same question. Here is the answer:
He voted yes on allowing an amendment to the bill. He voted NO on the bill.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR05576:@@@S

I don't know if the link will work, but from ontheissues.org (http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Ron_Paul_Welfare_+_Poverty.htm) it is very easy to click the Amendment link at the bottom, click the Amends HR 5576 link, click All Congressional Actions with Amendments, scroll to the last roll call and see he voted no.

6/14/2006 5:45pm: On passage Passed by the Yeas and Nays: 406 - 22 (Roll no. 286).

trey4sports
07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
ontheissues is a tricky way to form opinions of candidates. I used it during my quest for political enlightenment and while it does provide a good job of who-voted-for-what it's rare to see the context in which they voted for something and the full bill.

pyroman1
07-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I discovered that myself with this particular issue. It seems Dr. Paul voted Yes to allow an amendment to the bill that would prevent an increase iin salary for the President. The bill itself went through several amendments and he ulitimately voted No on the final bill. I know I bumped a VERY old thread, but since it came up in my Google search looking for the answer, I felt it would be helpful to answer the question anyway for anyone else that is asked or has wondered the same thing.

I even had to wait a few days to be allowed to post just so I could clarify it.