PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul admits defeat - won't run 3rd party

slacker921
02-23-2008, 10:57 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5564994.html

Acknowledging his imminent failure, maverick Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said Saturday that he won't get back into the race for the White House as an independent candidate once a GOP nominee is solidified.
"I have no plans to do that," Paul told a small group of reporters before a rally. "I would suspect that if we don't win, if the trends continue we're not likely to win, that I will run for Congress."

The Houston Chronicle just showed a bunch of people in Texas that Paul doesn't think he'll win the nomination so they might as well vote for McCain. They spoke of his campaign in the past tense.. campaign HQ? Where are you?

newyearsrevolution08
02-23-2008, 11:01 PM
seriously, who the fuck is running his campaign? are they too going to mccains camp like the other asshole?

stand up or get the fuck out the way.

Shink
02-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Ron needs to just NOT ANSWER some questions once in awhile. You know, it's great how honest he is, but he could at any time opt out of a question or two about his future strategy and plans.

Penners
02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
here is the article:

Feb. 23, 2008, 9:34PM
Paul says he won't try to run as an independent

By APRIL CASTRO
Associated Press

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Subscribe NOW
Comments 8 Recommend
AUSTIN (AP) — Acknowledging his imminent failure, maverick Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said Saturday that he won't get back into the race for the White House as an independent candidate once a GOP nominee is solidified.

"I have no plans to do that," Paul told a small group of reporters before a rally. "I would suspect that if we don't win, if the trends continue we're not likely to win, that I will run for Congress."

The 10-term congressman from Texas has became a fundraising phenomenon, but he lags in the delegate race behind front runner and likely nominee Sen. John McCain. During the campaign, Paul brought in a record $6 million in one day, and $18 million in less than three months, though he still registers in single digits in most polls.

The Libertarian-leaning Paul has campaigned on an economic platform of abolishing the federal income tax and returning to the gold standard and says he's pleased that his message has garnered so much enthusiasm.

"We tapped into a real nerve. People have really responded way above anything I ever dreamed of," said Paul, a 72-year-old obstetrician-gynecologist and former Air Force flight surgeon. "I believed it would take another generation before we could get this much enthusiasm for what I'm talking about."

Later in the day, Paul gave his limited-government stump speech to a crowd of about 4,000 people on the University of Texas at Austin campus.

For longtime supporter Jeff Kantoff, 42, the speech was bittersweet.

He said he was disappointed that the campaign seemed destined for failure, but amazed that so many people had been attracted to Paul's message. He blamed the media for marginalizing Paul in favor of better-known candidates.

"He's doing the right thing, he needs to stay in Congress," Kantoff said. "Hope isn't in the presidency, it's in Congress."

The only Republican in the race to oppose the war in Iraq, Paul has said that he is committed to being a Republican and will not try to run as a third-party candidate.

Texas holds both presidential and congressional primaries on March 4. Paul is opposed in the Republican congressional primary by Chris Peden, a Friendswood city councilman.

Guess I should head to the vent forum now so I can verbalize how I feel about this!

rockandrollsouls
02-23-2008, 11:14 PM
I completely support Ron, but I think it's a sin for him to not go all the way.

Could he run indy, not third party, and still run for congress? I'm not completely clear on that.

Regardless, if I was him I'd take the chance now. In the future, he will be looked at in the likes of ghandi. No one will be saying reagan...it'll be "what would ron paul say?" "did you support ron paul?" "what if paul was president?"

I should at least be able to say "He was an option, I voted for him, why didn't you guys?" :p

Man, Dr. Paul is an inspiration.

Change
02-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Relax and let the cards fall where they will, as for now he plans to continue. The press is always looking for him to step aside. The fact is, no one has the nomination right now, and he is doing the smart thing. Reading more into to this is exactly what the press wants.

WRellim
02-23-2008, 11:48 PM

The Houston Chronicle just showed a bunch of people in Texas that Paul doesn't think he'll win the nomination so they might as well vote for McCain. They spoke of his campaign in the past tense.. campaign HQ? Where are you?

Sitting on their backsides, doing nothing, and collecting some nice bank.

Why was there something you thought they SHOULD be doing?

Original_Intent
02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
This article again just shows media bias that really gets me pissed. Even if he were withdrawing (which he isn't) other candidates campaigns ending are never referred to as "imminent failures". The entire Washington power structure must be heaving a huge sigh of relief now that they think the one real threat to their continued rape of the Constitution is done.

RickNHouston
02-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey, you guys! When we hear it from Ron is when it's authentic ... not until!

Everybody knows what the media will do to get shit started! Now Stop it with the negative Bullshit and get back to work! We have a job to do!

Billy Budd
02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Sitting on their backsides, doing nothing, and collecting some nice bank.

Why was there something you thought they SHOULD be doing?

That meme is getting old. If I was a new comer thinking about sending in some money to HQ, I be putting my wallet back in my pocket about now. You can't possibly think your constant ad hominem about HQ is the least bit constructive.

If you are as smart and experienced as you tell us you are, you should realize flippant comments like that create doubt and suspicion in others. Maybe you do realize it.

My Mother once told me if I didn't have anything good to to say I should think about saying nothing. Consider her advice.

Penners
02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
best to let frustrations out in Vent

Jasko
02-24-2008, 12:26 AM
He's said this numerous times..

WRellim
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
That meme is getting old. If I was a new comer thinking about sending in some money to HQ, I be putting my wallet back in my pocket about now. You can't possibly think your constant ad hominem about HQ is the least bit constructive.

If you are as smart and experienced as you tell us you are, you should realize flippant comments like that create doubt and suspicion in others. Maybe you do realize it.

My Mother once told me if I didn't have anything good to to say I should think about saying nothing. Consider her advice.

Ah, Billy Butt, the TRUTH never gets old.

And newbies don't even read the forums.

But it's quite frankly irrelevent to the Presidential Campaign whether they raise another $10 or another $1,000,000; because NONE of it will be spent on actual retail campaigning (Ron hasn't done a "retail" campaign event since NH), nor will it be spent on advertising (didn't you HEAR Lew Moore answer that question in the "Precinct Leader Update" video? About half-way through, he stated very plainly his fervent belief that "advertising doesn't work." And judging from the FACT that they spent ZERO in Wisconsin, are spending ZERO in Rhode Island, and ZERO in Ohio... it means they have NO plans for that money, and thus do not really need any more.)

As to never saying anything if it wasn't "good" (by which I assume you mean blind, worshipful, uncritical "praise").

Well, yes, I heard your mother say that too.

The pertinent question is, did she say that before or after you discovered her sipping from the cooking sherry?

The point being that OVERSIGHT and CRITICISM are important. Brain-dead, "kool-aid" drinking followers who never question anything... you do nothing but ENABLE the poor decision making of the campaign... heck you sound more like an Obama-nation supporter than a thinking citizen.

Hook
02-24-2008, 01:10 AM
But it's quite frankly irrelevent to the Presidential Campaign whether they raise another $10 or another $1,000,000; because NONE of it will be spent on actual retail campaigning (Ron hasn't done a "retail" campaign event since NH), nor will it be spent on advertising (didn't you HEAR Lew Moore answer that question in the "Precinct Leader Update" video? About half-way through, he stated very plainly his fervent belief that "advertising doesn't work." And judging from the FACT that they spent ZERO in Wisconsin, are spending ZERO in Rhode Island, and ZERO in Ohio... it means they have NO plans for that money, and thus do not really need any more.)

So did Lew say where he got the data to support his ad claims? I noticed they spent literally millions on direct-mail ads. I guess he belives that those DO work?

Captain America
02-24-2008, 01:11 AM

Could he run indy, not third party, and still run for congress? I'm not completely clear on that.

Regardless, if I was him I'd take the chance now. In the future, he will be looked at in the likes of ghandi. No one will be saying reagan...it'll be "what would ron paul say?" "did you support ron paul?" "what if paul was president?"

I should at least be able to say "He was an option, I voted for him, why didn't you guys?" :p

Man, Dr. Paul is an inspiration.

I completly agree.

He could break off from the party, as another republican/democrat founding fathers non-globelest party.

It would be a sin for him not to uphold what he actually preaches

Please Ron

Soccrmastr
02-24-2008, 01:28 AM
he WILL go all the way. He knows we need a strong voice at the convention, so we're fighting for that.

Billy Budd
02-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Ah, Billy Butt, the TRUTH never gets old.

And newbies don't even read the forums.

As to never saying anything if it wasn't "good" (by which I assume you mean blind, worshipful, uncritical "praise").

Well, yes, I heard your mother say that too.

The pertinent question is, did she say that before or after you discovered her sipping from the cooking sherry?

The point being that OVERSIGHT and CRITICISM are important. Brain-dead, "kool-aid" drinking followers who never question anything... you do nothing but ENABLE the poor decision making of the campaign... heck you sound more like an Obama-nation supporter than a thinking citizen.

Why don't you consult your crystal ball and explain why spending a pile of money in Ohio where RP is 3 to 6% or Rhode Island where he's 6 to 9% would be of any great benefit in the big scheme of things. So he gains a percent or two in each state. Then what? So what?

It's a long haul til November and having some dough on hand gives him options to travel, speak and get his message out.

I'm not opposed to discussing HQ actions or lack thereof in fair manner. Your comment was snide and unfair. Ron Paul had a well attended rally today. His handlers had something to do with that although I'm sure you'll find some fault.

If you have some proof that Ron Paul's employee's are drawing big bucks for sitting on their hands then please forward it to us poor unenlightened kool-aid drinkers. Otherwise whip yourself up a nice hot cup of STFU or go troll elsewhere.

I'm suprised you're able to be such a prolific poster with such large chips on your shoulders. HQ must have really slammed your dick in the dirt at one time or another.

I agree that OVERSIGHT and CRITICISM are important. However, some of us get a exaggerated sense of our own importance and self-perceived insight. You're obviously an intelligent person. Therefore, some discernment about what you spout isn't out of your realm. I ask that you consider your words a little more carefully. As in what's truly helpful and what's not.

WRellim
02-24-2008, 01:29 AM
So did Lew say where he got the data to support his ad claims? I noticed they spent literally millions on direct-mail ads. I guess he belives that those DO work?

Gosh sakes, isn't it obvious? The "He's catching on!" TV ads they used in NH and Iowa didn't work and since Lew "himself" was involved with the creation of those... since those ads didn't create a win, well then obviously THAT is proof that all TV advertising is worthless.

Isn't it?

I mean what is this "data" thing you are referring to? Is that like "polling data" because the campaign management doesn't believe in that either.

And no, the campaign is not doing mass mailings anymore, because they don't work either. Again, all the ones the campaign did (their design personally supervised by Lew & his fellow "experienced" staffers) and mailed out in NH and Iowa didn't create a win, so obviously that means that ALL mass mailing things are worthless too, right?

Hook
02-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Gosh sakes, isn't it obvious? The "He's catching on!" TV ads they used in NH and Iowa didn't work and since Lew "himself" was involved with the creation of those... since those ads didn't create a win, well then obviously THAT is proof that all TV advertising is worthless.

Isn't it?

I mean what is this "data" thing you are referring to? Is that like "polling data" because the campaign management doesn't believe in that either.

And no, the campaign is not doing mass mailings anymore, because they don't work either. Again, all the ones the campaign did (their design personally supervised by Lew & his fellow "experienced" staffers) and mailed out in NH and Iowa didn't create a win, so obviously that means that ALL mass mailing things are worthless too, right?

I was hoping he had a credible study on the issue or something. If it turned out that TV ads are a waste, I wouldn't feel so bad. But if this is just some gut feeling then I don't feel better at all.

Oh well. Not much you can do about it now.

Paul4Prez
02-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Relax, people. He has to say this now (no third party run, not much chance for GOP presidential nomination, focus on Congress), because he's in a race to keep his Congressional seat. Texans, like other people, don't want to vote for someone for Congress who is going to bolt their party, or focus on running for some other office. Once he wins the Congressional primary, he can focus on what's left of the Republican presidential race, up to and including the convention.

Of course, if the Republican Party does succeed in knocking him out of Congress, they have only themselves to blame when he takes the gloves off, picks up a third party 2 by 4, and whacks them over the head in November, helped by the mother of all money bombs when the economic stimulus checks arrive right after he announces his third party presidential bid.

Paul4Prez
02-24-2008, 02:53 AM
The mass mailings I saw were actually very good -- it's just that most people don't read them, and if they did, they still figured he had no chance because the TV told them so.

The TV ads ranged from poor to mediocre to pretty good, but they weren't run often enough. Huckabee aired more TV ads in Iowa, with a lot less money. The Ron Paul campaign spent a lot more on radio than the other campaigns, but it was probably less effective, since it was targeted at right wing talk radio stations (at least the ones I heard here in SoCal) where the hosts completely marginalized him.

Roadrcr
02-24-2008, 03:23 AM
i'll pop mcWars cheek myself.

Alex Libman
02-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Ron Paul can stick around until McCain's coronation, but he should endorse a third party candidate ASAP. (See my sig.) Otherwise the momentum he has built will not be reflected at all in the November elections...

Jeremiah
02-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Since I am a UK citizen I didn't watch Lew Moore's video for precinct leaders but I read on the campaign blog that it was very successful. This is obviously where National have decided to concentrate their spending since delegate count is most important. It seems like a reasonable, prudent decision to me if they are thinking about going all the way to the convention.

Did you know that McCain appeared on Meet the Press 52 times before Super Tuesday? That compares with ONE TIME for RP. Tim Russert used RP's interview to constantly attack him, even to the point that RP challenged him on it, which is very unusual for him. I would be willing to wager that McCain received much better treatment. Extend this to all the other talk shows and media commentaries, all giving RP's major opponents a 50-1 advantage, not to mention the fact that RP's coverage, such as it is, is usually biased and negative, just like this Houston Chronicle article, and it is amazing that he has done as well as he has in so many States.

Dr. Paul is who he is. With his characteristic commitment, he believes he has a duty to his District 14 constituents to serve them in Congress until January 2009. Contrary to what his opponent Chris Peden has said, Dr. Paul has been at work in the House and involved in introducing legislation even during his hectic Presidential campaign. I know this because I am on his house.gov mailing list. Even if he were defeated in the March 4 primary he would still have this duty to his constituents.

I am not sure about the legal situation in the States, but there must be a question as to whether a serving member of the House can run under another political party banner while still serving as a Republican. My own view is that he probably could continue to serve in the House, as a Constitution or Libertarian Party member. It is not unheard of for someone to change parties even during a term of office. This is certainly true in the UK and Canada. It is my guess that his constituents vote for him rather than for the Republican Party per se.

Rather than continuing under the banner of the Republican Party, which I believe has effectively self destructed, and in any event is indistinguishable from the Democratic Party in all essential practices, the course of action I would prefer to see would be for the parties which have splintered from the mainstream parties, the Libertarian, Constitution, America First and Conservative parties, to form a coalition party at the Federal level only which would then nominate Ron Paul as its candidate for President. They all agree on the importance of limiting the role of the Federal government and returning to the supreme law of the land, the Constitution. They have their differences, on social policy, which they all agree should be dealt with at the State level. Therefore, since they agree in principle at the Federal level that is where they should focus their attention and have one Party running for office at that level. This would have the added benefit of focusing the public's attention on the whole question of what exactly the roles of the different levels of government were designed to be, and more importantly, what the role of the People in government was designed to be, under the Constitution.

JS4Pat
02-24-2008, 07:13 AM

Yes it is and its unfair to his supporters.

hawks4ronpaul
02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Acknowledging his imminent failure, maverick Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said Saturday that he won't get back into the race for the White House as an independent candidate once a GOP nominee is solidified.

In other words, Ron Paul said there still is a chance he can win and he still is going all the way to the convention.

The plan is the same as it was a year ago.

The update is that there is no update.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Thomas Paine
02-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, that's game, set, and match.

TheTyke
02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Yet another thread with a title that serves only to be discouraging.

I have to give it to people, they never get discouraged about being discouraging. We should learn from this... :P

WilliamC
02-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Ron Paul can stick around until McCain's coronation, but he should endorse a third party candidate ASAP. (See my sig.) Otherwise the momentum he has built will not be reflected at all in the November elections...

As long as he wants to use the Republican Party to advance his (and our, and the Constitutions) agenda, he can't come out and endorse another parties candidate without undermining his credibility.

Best he can do is refuse to endorse McCain and tell his supporters to vote their conscious.

By which he means of course we should all write his name in ;)

Bradley in DC
02-24-2008, 08:30 AM

What he meant to say is that any advertising HQ puts out doesn't do any good. ;)

stevedasbach
02-24-2008, 08:36 AM

Regarding your signature -- I suggest holding off endorsing an LP candidate. According to the grapevine, we are likely to see one or more additional candidates join the race, some of whom may be stronger than any of the candidates currently running.

sillvergirl
02-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I have a great idea. Why don't you folks who are complaining about results....help!
I personally canvassed 500 homes to get Ron Paul's name on the Ohio ballot! Then I travelled to Iowa to canvass for 3 days before their caucus. Then I travelled to South Carolina where I was one of only 30 people helping to get the message and campaign literature to the entire state before their primary. I've worked for 4 months day and night on general information message boards posting articles, essays, you tube videos, economics-related charts and graphs and commentary to support Ron Paul's platform. I have donated the maximum funds allowable by law to the official campaign. I have worked the past 2 weekends on canvassing in Ohio , and will continue this up until the March 4th primary in Ohio.The official campaign headquraters is giving us no help in the form of advertising in Ohio. AND THERE IS NO SUPPORT COMING TO HELP US IN OHIO FROM ANY PERSON FROM ANY OTHER STATE ,EITHER!!! Those of you who voted on Super Tuesday could be helping here, you know. Ohio has 88 delegates , and some of us worked very hard to get that full slate approved for Dr. Paul. It would really be be a lot more productive if so-called Ron Paul supporters would actually really DO SOMETHING instead of all the negative whining all the time!
By the way, I am a physician , and hold down a fulltime job in patient care. So if this effort is worth my time, it should be worth your time too.

WRellim
02-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Since I am a UK citizen I didn't watch Lew Moore's video for precinct leaders but I read on the campaign blog that it was very successful. This is obviously where National have decided to concentrate their spending since delegate count is most important. It seems like a reasonable, prudent decision to me if they are thinking about going all the way to the convention.

Well the video is on YouTube, so you can watch it anytime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raImHkFzIMM

And do you REALLY expect a paid blogger on the campaign's own website to do anything OTHER than praise a video done by his boss? Get real.

As for the "concentrating their spending" -- that's would seem like it is a rational assumption, wouldn't it.

Sadly it isn't true. Far from spending a major amount of money, the "Precinct Leader" program was a grassroots initiated thing (think one database/web developer guy in his basement) -- now sincerely the guy (Adam De Angeli) has done a REALLY GOOD JOB -- but with very limited resources (he is technically on payroll, but I wouldn't consider paying the guy a few grand in salary and expenses [ less than $10 K total ] counts as "concentrated spending" -- especially when Lew Moore's monthly salary is more than that).

And all of the "precinct leaders" are volunteers who are basically expected to order and pay (oops I meant "make donations") for their own supplies, including campaign literature (compared to staffers, who of course, as "employees" get all of their expenses reimbursed, no matter how minor or inane).

And the whole "signup to be a delegate" program is a GREAT IDEA -- problem is they didn't implement anything with it until only 15 states remain (15? Out of 50?) -- which means it too is a day late and dollar short (and again, is a complete "sacrificial" volunteer program as delegates have to cover their own expenses to the convention).

So that still leaves the big question -- other than paying staff salaries (and probably "performance" bonuses just wait it WILL happen) -- there are no plans for spending the remaining $6 Million on any real campaigning.

liberteebell
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I have a great idea. Why don't you folks who are complaining about results....help!
I personally canvassed 500 homes to get Ron Paul's name on the Ohio ballot! Then I travelled to Iowa to canvass for 3 days before their caucus. Then I travelled to South Carolina where I was one of only 30 people helping to get the message and campaign literature to the entire state before their primary. I've worked for 4 months day and night on general information message boards posting articles, essays, you tube videos, economics-related charts and graphs and commentary to support Ron Paul's platform. I have donated the maximum funds allowable by law to the official campaign. I have worked the past 2 weekends on canvassing in Ohio , and will continue this up until the March 4th primary in Ohio.The official campaign headquraters is giving us no help in the form of advertising in Ohio. AND THERE IS NO SUPPORT COMING TO HELP US IN OHIO FROM ANY PERSON FROM ANY OTHER STATE ,EITHER!!! Those of you who voted on Super Tuesday could be helping here, you know. Ohio has 88 delegates , and some of us worked very hard to get that full slate approved for Dr. Paul. It would really be be a lot more productive if so-called Ron Paul supporters would actually really DO SOMETHING instead of all the negative whining all the time!
By the way, I am a physician , and hold down a fulltime job in patient care. So if this effort is worth my time, it should be worth your time too.

I can speak only for myself but I HAVE been doing a LOT of something and continue to do so even though our primary is over. But if you really believe that HQ has done a great job and that critical analysis of such is "negative whining" then I want some of whatever you're smoking.

slacker921
02-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Silvergirl: "Then I travelled to South Carolina where I was one of only 30 people helping to get the message and campaign literature to the entire state before their primary." ... there were a bunch of us from Charlotte canvassing around Rock Hill - and I remember hearing about a group from Asheville going down to Greenville - the canvassing didn't have any effect around Rock Hill. After all the canvassing and signs (the place looked like a Ron Paul sign factory blew up) the people there didn't vote any differently than counties where there was zero canvassing.

So did we see HQ take advantage of this misleading article and have a follow up interview with the reporter to set the record straight? Nope. Did they get Ron Paul on the local TV station to counter these allegations and do some spin? Nope. Did they use this to get media attention? Nope.
Now.. this morning CNN is COVERED with experts attacking the New York Times for breaking the scandal on McCain and also the Post for attacking him for having lobbyists on his staff. His campaign staff successfully turned both of those scandals around into positive media time.

WRellim
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM

The campaign is sitting on $6 MILLION dollars all of which was donated for them to use in ACTUAL CAMPAIGN ACTIVITIES.

You need to seriously ask yourself if the campaign is NOT WILLING to spend even $1 advertising in your state, and the candidate does not seem to think it is worth HIS TIME to make an appearance in your state...

Then not only why should anyone vote for the guy? But who will actually believe he is even still running?

I still wish that the campaign was actually DOING all of the activities that IT should be doing, so that it can SUPPORT the work of devoted people like yourself (I did likewise, maxing out last year, running two local meetup groups and a statewide "coordinating group", as well as buying, and making supplies [DVD's, flyers, banners] for not only my own group but other area groups as well; and spent a lot of time in the precinct leader program (I was an early tester) and getting OTHERS involved and equipped for it as well.

Quite frankly I now see that everything I worked at in my state was a complete waste of time. Because the campaign decided, literally DECIDED to waste it.

How? Well, in the week before our primary -- poll numbers went from 10% down to < 5% -- and we *KNOW* that WE LOST VOTERS. People we had worked our butts off canvassing and converting, people who had Ron Paul yard signs and bumper stickers ended up voting for someone else because they were certain the candidate had STOPPED campaigning (and nothing we could say meant anything otherwise -- people, unlike dedicated supporters, are NOT FOOLS; they believe the evidence before their eyes, and ALL of that evidence: NO candidate appearances in our state (which means NO local news coverage), and the ZERO campaign advertising.

And all that despite weeks of begging HQ for something, ANYTHING by the meetup leaders in our state. (They would not even return our phone calls.)

By contrast Huckabee and McCain made multiple appearances at events in the days leading up to the primary. They each spent a whopping $150,000 dollars on TV and Radio ads (big spenders, huh... THAT surely would have put a dent in the RP campaign wallet, wouldn't it?).

Hey, I seriously DO understand where you are at, I was there myself only a week or so ago... still holding out hope. Maybe, just MAYBE the campaign would do something in the last couple of days (just ONE EVENT -- stop in and eat a brat or some cheese -- provide some PROOF that he is actually running, something to be carried by at least a few local newspapers. Or maybe even just issue a press release or something; ANYTHING.) Or we were all hoping that the Billboards we had paid for in our state, the grassroots newspaper ads and inserts, and the assorted other things... would SOMEHOW work.

Eventually the TRUTH settles in. The campaign staff sees you, and everyone in YOUR state as a "cow" to be milked for campaign cash, to be given little busywork in order to see whether you'll scurry around, and finally as a subject of disdain, and privately of ridicule and humor. That's it, that's all. We've been played like marks in a confidence operation.

We've actually known that for a while now in our gut, we just didn't want to believe it.

Truth is painful sometimes.

WRellim
02-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Silvergirl: "Then I travelled to South Carolina where I was one of only 30 people helping to get the message and campaign literature to the entire state before their primary." ... there were a bunch of us from Charlotte canvassing around Rock Hill - and I remember hearing about a group from Asheville going down to Greenville - the canvassing didn't have any effect around Rock Hill. After all the canvassing and signs (the place looked like a Ron Paul sign factory blew up) the people there didn't vote any differently than counties where there was zero canvassing.

Canvassing DOES work.

Just like Advertising WORKS.

And retail campaigning by the candidate WORKS.

But they are all INTEGRAL PARTS of a whole -- just as a car needs an Engine, Transmission, and Tires -- if you leave out ANY one of those parts... well you do not have a car.

And we do not have a campaign.

We have a bunch of overpaid, incompetent boobs sitting in an office in Arlington, VA complaining and whining like a bunch of school-girls that the "whole world is against them" -- when in reality they have CAUSED the majority of their own problems.

And no one is holding them to account.

WilliamC
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all you are doing.

I've been canvassing my precinct here in Mississippi by myself the last 4 weekends now. Either today or next weekend I'll go outside my precinct to some large neighborhoods and do door drops to get rid of the rest of my slimjims.

I've joined my local Republican Party and I'll be working at the polls in my precinct on election day.

Every bit helps.

hawks4ronpaul
02-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Quite frankly I now see that everything I worked at in my state was a complete waste of time. Because the campaign decided, literally DECIDED to waste it.

How? Well, in the week before our primary -- poll numbers went from 10% down to < 5% -- and we *KNOW* that WE LOST VOTERS. People we had worked our butts off canvassing and converting, people who had Ron Paul yard signs and bumper stickers ended up voting for someone else because they were certain the candidate had STOPPED campaigning (and nothing we could say meant anything otherwise -- people, unlike dedicated supporters, are NOT FOOLS; they believe the evidence before their eyes, and ALL of that evidence: NO candidate appearances in our state (which means NO local news coverage), and the ZERO campaign advertising.

I never met him. He was on the ballot. I voted for him.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

sillvergirl
02-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I certainly don't disagree that the official campaign HQ has fumbled the ball royally. I sent 2 and sometime 3 emails each week to the official HQ suggesting ideas that they should be implementing to propel this campaign forward. In Ron Paul's defense, I did hear "my words vebatim" echoed in several of his speeches. So I am at least somewhat comforted that he was getting some of my messages.
Nevertheless, it is what it is, and we as individuals need to do the largest part of the work. For myself, I at least have the peace of mind that goes with having put forth a 100% effort. If the voters of America are "too comfortable" to be bothered with researching Ron Paul as a candidate, well, I can tell you for a fact that THAT SITUATION WILL NOT LAST! The Federal Reserve ,and the banking establishment generally, have shot themselves in the foot and the unravelling of the US economy (with massive negative leverage as we move down the spiral), will be teaching them, and the American public, a lesson they will not soon forget. I can see clearly what the fallout will be, and within one year...so will everyone else.
It is really a shame that that jerk Chris Peden, challenging Dr. Paul's congressional seat in Texas, caused Dr. Paul to be forced to spend so much time, funds, and effort in Texas, since that primary is the same day as ours in Ohio. All it takes is one piece of human refuse like that, to cause an honest and hardworking representative like Dr. Paul to lose the primary in Ohio.We will not even get one visit here by Dr. Paul , just because of that fact , I guess.
Now I need to get back to work with the canvassing . I hope to cover my second Ohio precinct over the next 3 days....then another precinct over the next week before the primary.

Charles Wilson
02-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Bravo!
Well said. This is not the time to abandon ship, in fact this is the time to press on, relentlessly pushing the Ron Paul message. For years I advocated supporting a third party (Constitution Party), although I knew it was futile because the two major party's have the electoral process legally sewed up, I felt that we must make a statement and register our dissatisfaction with the status quo. Having said that, after hearing the Ron Paul message I realized that we can work within the Republican Party and make the changes we seek.

The Republican Party is on the verge of imploding. After this election, If Ron Paul is not elected, John McCain will most likely be the final straw. I predict that the neocons and the other Party leaders will be rejected by most of the Republican base. When that happens, we Ron Paul Republicans will be in a position to positively influence the direction of the Party during the next election cycle.

We will have two years in which to attract Ron Paul Republicans for Congress and four years to attract a Ron Paul candidate for President -- assuming that Ron Paul will not want to run again.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going. Quiters need not apply!

WilliamC
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
The campaign is sitting on $6 MILLION dollars all of which was donated for them to use in ACTUAL CAMPAIGN ACTIVITIES.

You need to seriously ask yourself if the campaign is NOT WILLING to spend even $1 advertising in your state, and the candidate does not seem to think it is worth HIS TIME to make an appearance in your state...

Then not only why should anyone vote for the guy? But who will actually believe he is even still running?

I still wish that the campaign was actually DOING all of the activities that IT should be doing, so that it can SUPPORT the work of devoted people like yourself (I did likewise, maxing out last year, running two local meetup groups and a statewide "coordinating group", as well as buying, and making supplies [DVD's, flyers, banners] for not only my own group but other area groups as well; and spent a lot of time in the precinct leader program (I was an early tester) and getting OTHERS involved and equipped for it as well.

And all that despite weeks of begging HQ for something, ANYTHING by the meetup leaders in our state. (They would not even return our phone calls.)

By contrast Huckabee and McCain made multiple appearances at events in the days leading up to the primary. They each spent a whopping $150,000 dollars on TV and Radio ads (big spenders, huh... THAT surely would have put a dent in the RP campaign wallet, wouldn't it?).

Hey, I seriously DO understand where you are at, I was there myself only a week or so ago... still holding out hope. Maybe, just MAYBE the campaign would do something in the last couple of days (just ONE EVENT -- stop in and eat a brat or some cheese -- provide some PROOF that he is actually running, something to be carried by at least a few local newspapers. Or maybe even just issue a press release or something; ANYTHING.) Or we were all hoping that the Billboards we had paid for in our state, the grassroots newspaper ads and inserts, and the assorted other things... would SOMEHOW work.

Eventually the TRUTH settles in. The campaign staff sees you, and everyone in YOUR state as a "cow" to be milked for campaign cash, to be given little busywork in order to see whether you'll scurry around, and finally as a subject of disdain, and privately of ridicule and humor. That's it, that's all. We've been played like marks in a confidence operation.

We've actually known that for a while now in our gut, we just didn't want to believe it.

Truth is painful sometimes.

Well let's say the campaign spends every last dime they raised in advertising.

Do you think it would have made ANY difference in the outcome of the election?

I trusted Ron Paul with my money when I donated it to him, and I still trust him to spend it as wisely as possible now.

Maybe it's not the wisest thing to spend all the money on advertising that won't do a single thing to get Ron Paul the Republican nomination.

As for personal campaigning it does look like Ron Paul is focusing on retaining his Congressional seat rather than the Presidential race, and I like this.

I'd hate to see him lose his place in Congress AND the Republican nomination.

So let's wait until the Texas primaries are over, if he wins those then I expect to see him do some more campaigning for President.

I expect him to be at the Republican Convention, and who knows what will end up happening there?

But Ron Paul has been doing this far longer than I have, I trust his judgement on how to proceed.

Johnny Crab
02-24-2008, 01:28 PM
The Chronicle is a waste of dead trees.
Relax.
Ron Paul is still in this, has ZERO(that's $0.00) debt, and the McAmnesty Express is being derailed one hit piece at a time.
Have a chuckle and chill out(once YouTube comes back on line....if it does).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJb90ZmyRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xt10hbNezc

And note that although these folks are being portrayed as saviours of the country by MSM, the DELEGATES at both conventions may not think so ESPECIALLY the Republican Convention:

http://www.rense.com/1.imagesH/bestoffer.jpg

heartless
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Ron is a smart man, he's conserving his money I believe; I think General Patton once said, "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood and no poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making other bastards die for their country."

IPSecure
02-24-2008, 05:51 PM
I emailed headquarters regarding the article....

Here is the reply:

This is another example of, at best, lazy reporting and, at worst, an active attempt to misreport Dr. Paul's intentions and discourage his supporters. Dr. Paul is only saying he won't run as a third party candidate. He's still in the fight for the Republican nomination, and will take it to the convention, whatever the odds. Dr. Paul is realistic: those odds are very tall. But he's not giving up the fight. (And with a front-runner as unstable as John McCain, anything can happen.)

Best regards,

Dan McCarthy
Internet Communications Coordinator
Ron Paul 2008

Liberté
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM

I believe those that would have, will still vote for Ron Paul. I doubt anything the Houston Chronicle writes will influence RP's turn out. RP has proven over and over that he is immune to the MSM. The sad part is we didn't jump to the mainstream, at least not this cycle, maybe in 2012 we will make the leap to mainstream after we polish the message a bit.

Liberté
02-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Ron is a smart man, he's conserving his money I believe; I think General Patton once said, "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood and no poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making other bastards die for their country."

What would he be saving his money for? At this point that really makes no sense. Dr. Paul has limited resources, and is spending his funds the best way he can. He is not "saving" the money, he is spending it.

Jeremiah
02-25-2008, 09:28 AM
There was a blog at the official website on this issue. They compared the Chronicle article with one written about the same speech and the same event in the Austin American Statesman. http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/02/24/0224ronpaul.html

In any event the Houston Chronicle piece is a wire story from Associated Press. Miss Castro works for AP, a CFR mouthpiece, and has simply allowed her wishful thinking to take control, and/or she was under instructions to weaken RP's campaign.

These tactics enable us to detect who are in the pay of the Party. They are certainly nothing to be concerned about; indeed they are to be welcomed like old friends. When your message is the truth these attacks eventually become a daily routine, your ability to counter them will increase as you learn more about personal freedom, and in time they will strengthen your resolve to continue the fight.