PDA

View Full Version : A Ron Paul Republican?

virginiakid
02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I wanted to get your thoughts on someone who is running for the republican nomination against Jim Gilmore here in VA. Personally, I like Bob Marshall. But I wanted to see what your thoughts are. I think we would be better off if Bob Marshall got the nomination and also beat Mark Warner.

http://bobmarshall2008.com/

yongrel
02-23-2008, 10:46 PM
His website is a copy of Ron Paul's, which is a good start.

Some of his stances are a little odd, but no huge problems.

But isn't Gilmore pretty popular?

No1ButPaul08
02-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I would say no on RP republican, but I think the RP republican label should be strict or it can get watered down. There's nothing on his site about the Federal Reserve or the gold standard. I would vote for him over Gilmore (obviously), and if elected, would instantly be one of the best senators

He's very solid on immigration, education, life, healthcare

He's solid on internet regulation

He's Ok on taxes, wouldn't vote for an increase, but supports flat tax and not repeal of 16th amendment, although I think he would vote for that if it came up.

On the war, he doesn't want to cut and run, but is no hawk. He is for reexamining our involvement in the UN and Nato and other organization. Says we shouldn't protect countries that can't protect themselves. I'd say better than 99% of Republicans on this issue.

He's iffy on Social Security

He's lost on transportion, election reform (although he mentions RP), energy (weird stance, supports unconstitutional cross country power lines)

He supports a marriage amendment, which Ron and I don't, but is at least Constitutional

rockandrollsouls
02-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't think everyone is perfect on everything, but this guy seems like a good start. Sounds better than half the other morons running for office.

Kotin
02-23-2008, 11:15 PM
i like him.

Ex Post Facto
02-23-2008, 11:20 PM
There is a RP Republican, one that subscribes to all the beliefs of Ron Paul. Then there is a constitutional Republican, one that believes government does have a slight role in the affairs of it's citizens, but which is measured very carefully and not haphazardly.

virginiakid
02-23-2008, 11:23 PM
There is a primary on June 10. This will be Virginia's time to vote for Bob Marshall or Jim Gilmore. Hopefully Virginians on this board would go to the polls on that day and vote for Bob Marshall.

Jim Gilmore is popular, but not as popular as some may think. Bob Marshall will have a lot of support from Christians. I don't believe Jim Gilmore can beat Mark Warner. I do think Bob Marshall can.

virginiakid
02-23-2008, 11:25 PM
And may I add that Jim Gilmore is a big John McCain supporter?