PDA

View Full Version : RE: Email database, etc...

BLS
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I posted this in that thread as well.

I can build and host an Exchange Email server at home.
I would just need to purchase a domain name (ronpaulnutjobs.com, ronpaulloonies.com, wearespam.com, etc)

Then since I don't have a static IP address, I'd either have to pay for that, or get a DYNIP account setup. Minimal cost for dynip.

Once that's up and running and I have my server built, everyone can get an email address for free. There would be distribution groups, mailing lists, etc.

I could even host a sharepoint site for file collaberation, etc.

Also, you could check your mail from any web browser on any PC via Outlook Web Access.

Thoughts?

MsDoodahs
08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
BLS, I don't have the first clue what any of that stuff is, :o but it all sounds good to me. :)

mdh
08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Reinventing wheels. Also, with a home-based setup on a residential line, you risk annoying your ISP and getting cut off, or having the port filtered.

Beyond that, many DNSBL's block residential provider address space - for example, no one using your system would be able to send email to hotmail users.

beermotor
08-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Reinventing wheels. Also, with a home-based setup on a residential line, you risk annoying your ISP and getting cut off, or having the port filtered.

Beyond that, many DNSBL's block residential provider address space - for example, no one using your system would be able to send email to hotmail users.

Yeah, what he said.

And beyond that, do we run a risk of having our centralized lists being hax0red by the bad guys? Or the friggen FBI, laf.

What would be the benefit of having a big list of emails? Are you thinking of that Rushdoony guy (or whoever he was) that built the libertarian movement around that mailing list of folks who contributed to Goldwater in the 60s or whatever? (I am probably mixing up my facts bigtime, but I think that's semi-correct.)

and, doesn't the campaign have this already (via the "sign up" button on the website)?

mdh
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
And beyond that, do we run a risk of having our centralized lists being hax0red by the bad guys? Or the friggen FBI, laf.

Well, my database server is hosted in France, which is a bit better than being in the US or somesuch. With Sarkozy now, not as much, but really nowhere is going to be a whole lot safer.

As far as "hax0red", my system is as secure as any today. I follow bugtraq, FD, and some non-public security disclosure lists to keep up-to-date with patches and whatnot. Only competent and trustworthy people have real access to my systems. Can't really do too much more than that.

and, doesn't the campaign have this already (via the "sign up" button on the website)?

Whoof. No comment.

BLS
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, my database server is hosted in France, which is a bit better than being in the US or somesuch. With Sarkozy now, not as much, but really nowhere is going to be a whole lot safer.

As far as "hax0red", my system is as secure as any today. I follow bugtraq, FD, and some non-public security disclosure lists to keep up-to-date with patches and whatnot. Only competent and trustworthy people have real access to my systems. Can't really do too much more than that.

Whoof. No comment.

Well, sounds like you have all the infrastructure in place, so we really only need a domain. Geez, I think you can get a domain through godaddy.com for $4.

Should we just do it?

mdh
08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, if you are serious, I would say go ahead and email or even better (if you can call 202 without paying a bunch of lame toll fees) call me and we'll discuss it. I can be reached via the number on the www.ronpaul.name contacts page.

BLS
08-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, if you are serious, I would say go ahead and email or even better (if you can call 202 without paying a bunch of lame toll fees) call me and we'll discuss it. I can be reached via the number on the www.ronpaul.name contacts page.

You've got mail.