PDA

View Full Version : an idea for discussion - "ballotstorm"

cbc58
02-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I came up with this idea and would like some feedback and input to make it something people would actually sign up for and use:

www.ballotstorm.com

The concept is for people to visit the site, provide their info (name, address, age, etc., and select a series of issues that are important to them (at the federal, state and local levels), and then the site would send notifications to users when legislation is in the works or something is happening that effects them.

It would only send notifications when something applies to them and would not bombard them with useless email. Any email sent would include a link back to the site for futher explanation on the issues and then they would have the option of sending a message to their representatives stating their position.

It would also (and importantly) be able to mobilize like-minded voters in mass to act on cirtical issues.

This is an idea at this point and I'm looking for input. It will require some serious backend programming.

Tks.

cbc58
02-23-2008, 05:34 PM
63 views and no comments?

freedom-maniac
02-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, there's not really any information on the website.

TastyWheat
02-24-2008, 01:17 AM
GovTrack.us is pretty much the same thing but there's always room for competition.

cbc58
02-24-2008, 11:40 AM
thanks for the replies.

govtrack is federal info and I'd like to make it more inclusive to include state and local issues. this is a huge project and would be the ideal situation of being able to keep on top of all issues at all times.

the basic thing that I'd like to accomplish with ballotstorm is uniting like-minded voters together and giving them the ability to make their voice heard.

If someone can provide input on how this might be done please do so....

cbc58
02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Update:

I've had positive response to this concept and some people are interested in helping out. Again the idea is to create a service that informs and educates voters on issues that are important to them at the federal, state and local level... then give them the ability to mobilize in mass to effect change. This includes identifying candidates that share voters views... and hopefully making sense out of legislation and providing sysnopsis's on bills and proposals that are presented or being drafted.

This is what we have, this is where we're going, this is what we need moving forward:

What we have:

A couple of people who are willing to provide their expertise on the programming-backend structure of a website. This would be the technical nuts and bolts of putting it all together given the available information and desired outcome.

Where we are going:

We are developing a plan (this is in the very early stages) of exactly what the site will offer and what information can be included. Federal info is available through sites like GovTrack (the owner of which will share info with us), but the state and local information is something that has to be gathered. To this end we have to find some way of effectively obtaining state and local data.. and this is a big job... so one of the issues we need to figure out is how to get it on a consistent basis.
Ideas and help are welcome.

What we need moving forward:

We need input from people on what they want to see and ideas for creating a useable and worthwhile service. We need technical and design assistance from programmers/ and designers who can help out. We need volunteers or recommendations on how to obtain data at the state, county and local levels, and we need to know that people will use it and any potential hurdles for doing so.

The concept is developing and getting clearer. If you can help or provide input please let us know.

cbc58
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
bump