PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Legal Status Of Guam?

New Governor Of Alaska
02-23-2008, 12:45 PM
I heard on the news that B-2 stealth bomber crashed in Guam and I asked myself a question - how come this island is not a US state yet?
It seems like it is a part of US but at the same time it is not. Guam is unincorporated territory.

Does it mean that people of Guam are not American citizens? And if they are not US citizens than what country are they citizens of?
Does anyone know?

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/5085/Guam.jpg

Banana
02-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I once saw a blurb mentioning that residents of territorary are US National, but not US Citizen... but didn't understand the difference, if there was one.

I also have to admit I wonder the same thing; why are we hanging onto Guam, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico in a state of limbo? Either make it our 51st-Xst states or let them go.

nate895
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I once saw a blurb mentioning that residents of territorary are US National, but not US Citizen... but didn't understand the difference, if there was one.

I also have to admit I wonder the same thing; why are we hanging onto Guam, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico in a state of limbo? Either make it our 51st-Xst states or let them go.

We let Puerto Rico vote on the matter every couple of years, they never can come up with a super majority for either independence or statehood.

The other territories do not meet requirements for statehood, as they do not have 60,000 actual citizens (the usually have more than 60,000 in population, but a lot of military).

All citizens born in US territories have US citizenship, and would get all the benefits thereof if they moved to a US State.

0zzy
02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
We let Puerto Rico vote on the matter every couple of years, they never can come up with a super majority for either independence or statehood.

The other territories do not meet requirements for statehood, as they do not have 60,000 actual citizens (the usually have more than 60,000 in population, but a lot of military).

All citizens born in US territories have US citizenship, and would get all the benefits thereof if they moved to a US State.

yeppers. In PR, they vote and there are always legislators who want statehood, and others who want to keep their independence. Right on to the independent peeps, honestly.

Roxi
02-23-2008, 02:23 PM
i don't know but they have delegates :)

Banana
02-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Hmm. Interesting.

What are the ramifications of keeping them in the limbo?