PDA

View Full Version : Split the party at the Convention

Captain America
02-23-2008, 02:50 AM
if he wins the seat in congress, i hope he speaks at the convention says why the GOP canidate is wrong for the republicans and splits off and makes a new party. Constitution Party, Liberterian Party, and some other smaller parties most likely will join. We will have a real chance at the White House.

lynnf
02-23-2008, 03:26 AM
if he wins the seat in congress, i hope he speaks at the convention says why the GOP canidate is wrong for the republicans and splits off and makes a new party. Constitution Party, Liberterian Party, and some other smaller parties most likely will join. We will have a real chance at the White House.

he won't get to speak at the convention unless he wins 5 states/territories. you might say, well, give a press conference, then..... press will ignore.

gotta get those 5.

lynn

jbuttell
02-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Hi Lynn, why are you saying this? I keep hearing so much conflicting information on this. On one hand, people like you say he needs to win 5 stays (popular vote) on the other hand other people have claimed to 'correct' that assumption that we only need to win 5 states with a majority of delegates.

Which is it?

purplechoe
02-23-2008, 04:00 AM
he won't get to speak at the convention unless he wins 5 states/territories. you might say, well, give a press conference, then..... press will ignore.

gotta get those 5.

lynn

He needs to win 5 states to be able to receive the nomination. I'm not sure what the rules are about him being able to speak. I mean, he will be one of only 3 people still in the running for presidency, unless Huckabee drops out.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-23-2008, 06:20 AM
He needs to win 5 states to be able to receive the nomination. I'm not sure what the rules are about him being able to speak. I mean, he will be one of only 3 people still in the running for presidency, unless Huckabee drops out.

Considering that the GOP is flat out against him, I doubt he will be asked to speak. Huckabee won't drop out. If he didn't have clear reasons for staying in, he would have been out long ago.

lynnf
02-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi Lynn, why are you saying this? I keep hearing so much conflicting information on this. On one hand, people like you say he needs to win 5 stays (popular vote) on the other hand other people have claimed to 'correct' that assumption that we only need to win 5 states with a majority of delegates.

Which is it?

look again at what I said, I didn't say either one... but...
what does it matter if it's majority of votes or majority of delegates - I don't know,
I'm just going by what someone else said on here, but at the rate we've been
going, we've gotten neither in any state yet.

lynn

slamhead
02-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Here is that 5 state rule again...WTF? So in reality we are done....no chance in hell if the convention is brokered. Why are we still in the race? If this were true I don't think Ron Paul would stay in the race and waste our money and time.

jsu718
02-23-2008, 11:12 AM
The 5 state rule isn't going to be a problem. The media isn't reporting actual delegates, only estimates. The campaign has stated that we have over 100 national delegates, and that doesn't even include the states where we have a huge delegate presence that haven't even gone to their state convention yet. That rule will NOT be a problem.

Trigonx
02-23-2008, 11:22 AM
majority of the delegates from 5 states. So that means we might already have Maine, WA, Alaska, ND, and maybe even MT or even MN. That rule does not stand in our way we can easily accomplish the 5 states.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
02-23-2008, 11:50 AM

wrong, wrong, wrong....

jbuttell
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
look again at what I said, I didn't say either one... but...
what does it matter if it's majority of votes or majority of delegates - I don't know,
I'm just going by what someone else said on here, but at the rate we've been
going, we've gotten neither in any state yet.

lynn

I see your point, I shouldn't have said 'popular vote' as you didn't specify that. However, respectfully - unless you know (as you admit you don't above), best not speak so matter of fact. It only spreads confusion.

.jeremy

nate895
02-24-2008, 09:03 PM
You get to speak at the convention if you get 5,000 votes in the primaries. There is a candidate named Michael Charles Smith of Oregon who is running just to be allowed at the convention.

nate895
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I encourage all of you to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJABfBN6ew&feature=related

Jodi
02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Nate895 what about this info?

All of the Republian Conventions are conducted under Robert's Rules of Order (the book is over 700 pages long). The best source to read to ready yourselves is "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised in Brief" written by Henry M. Robert III, available at your library or bookstore.

NOTE: According to the original Robert's Rules of Order, page 600, it takes a 2/3 vote to overturn Convention rules. If your state is "bound" to vote for the primary winner, you can OVERTURN THIS AT YOUR STATE CONVENTION. Between Ron Paul and Huckabee supporters, there could easily be enough delegates to overturn the rule.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1297345

nate895
02-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Nate895 what about this info?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1297345

We plan on using that in Washington so McCain won't get the delegates he won in the primary.

Jodi
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
We plan on using that in Washington so McCain won't get the delegates he won in the primary.

Its looking better and better all the time!!!!!

Banana
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
nate895,

Have you checked your state party's rules? Usually, those rules take precedence over RRO, not mention to possibility of a state election law dictating how delegates are to be selected.

nate895
02-24-2008, 09:57 PM
nate895,

Have you checked your state party's rules? Usually, those rules take precedence over RRO, not mention to possibility of a state election law dictating how delegates are to be selected.

You can suspend the rules if you get enough votes, and we can't find the rules for the party.

Banana
02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
All right, but be cautious of any blowbacks....

I don't think we'd win broad appeal if we had a headline "RP supporters suspends rules; force their man in" or something like that.