PDA

View Full Version : ***STOP! LOOK! --> Ron Paul REACTIVATES GOP candidacy! Vows to fight this year and be

powertothepeople
02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Ron Paul REACTIVATES GOP candidacy! Vows to fight this year and beyond!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/02/paul.html

DIGG!: http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_reactivates_GOP_candidacy_Vows_to_fight_o n

Wait, hold on! Don't toss those Ron Paul signs quite yet.

The 72-year-old, 10-term Republican congressman has just vowed to continue his current campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. There's been some confusion in recent days since Paul sounded like he was, in effect, withdrawing to refocus his political efforts on a well-funded House primary challenger in his home Texas district near Houston on March 4.

His vocal online supporters have been less evident, effusive and at times abusive in the last couple of weeks. But now they have reason to refocus themselves too.

But Wednesday he struck a different note. "I will stay in as long as my supporters want me to," the Texas congressman promised CNN. "And I say as long as the number of volunteers continues to grow, and the money comes in, and there are primaries out there, and they want me to be involved, I am going to stay involved."

And if, say, there's a scandal or illness among the two remaining Republican candidates ahead of Paul in delegates, he'll be in a pretty good political position for the convention in St. Paul.

Also, guess what The Times' campaign finance guru Dan Morain just discovered....

tonight in records of the Federal Election Commission? Of all the Republican candidates left in the field at the end of January none other than Ron Paul had the most cash in hand -- some $6 million. And, like a true conservative, Paul reported not a penny in debt.

So he's got the money to keep his campaign going, despite being at loggerheads on many issues with fellow GOP candidates. And more funds flowing in each day from his loyal followers, despite being largely ignored by the major media, being barred by Fox News from a debate and receiving short shrift in speaking time there.

That's not likely to have much impact in the actual GOP voting, which Sen. John McCain has almost wrapped up. Paul has been drawing in the single-digits recently, getting 5% of the Wisconsin vote and 7% in Washington state this week. He did score a couple of second place finishes, including the Nevada and Montana caucuses, and beat Rudy Giuliani in Iowa and Fred Thompson in New Hampshire.

But his new re-affirmation of an active candidacy will be exciting news for hundreds of thousands of his diverse supporters scattered about the country in some 1,400 meet-up groups that demonstrate for him and raise money in numerous imaginative ways, including hotties 4 Ron Paul pin-up calendars. Their devotion and noticeable online enthusiasm had waned in recent weeks after Paul forced Mitt Romney from the race and then spent more time in his own district.

Starting last summer the seemingly spontaneous assembling of hundreds of thousands of Paul supporters, many new to politics, has been one of the more remarkable aspects of the current political season.

Although the major media have consistently treated him as a fringe candidate, Paul has raised more money recently and outlasted several more famous Republican competitors once given a good chance of winning the nomination.

In December, the Paul campaign broke the online one-day fundraising record by taking in $6 million and made Paul the most successful GOP fundraiser in the fourth quarter with nearly $20 million in donations. And he was the only Republican candidate to increase his take during each quarter of 2007.

So far this quarter, Paul's website reports in excess of $6 million more in donations, which the candidate said he would use to drive what he called a movement. In the CNN interview he portrayed the movement of Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians disaffected with large government and foreign entanglements as unstoppable, although mathematically the 2008 nomination is beyond their reach.

Paul, a former ob-gyn who recently drew a crowd of 1,400 at North Texas University, said he was overwhelmed by possible congressional candidates who could form a bloc of strict constitutionalists in Congress and carry the movement on beyond the unsuccessful 2008 nomination struggle. But although he refuses to endorse McCain, Paul also continues to reject the possibility of a third-party run.

Paul said students he talked with "hear other candidates talking change and they know it's the same old stuff over and over again. There's no difference with the other candidates. They know it's going to take time. But as I travel, I find something very significant going on around the country. They know we need to turn this country around."

"I couldn't stop this movement if I tried," he added.

Then, noting Fidel Castro stepping down from Cuba's leadership, Paul repeated his call for an end to the U.S. trade embargo on that country. "Fifty years of the embargo haven't worked," he said. "This is a wonderful opportunity to undermine communism."

Paulitical Correctness
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I hope all the disheartened people that jumped ship read this. Maybe it's not too late to win back some of their support.

Donations are pretty dry. :(

powertothepeople
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I hope all the disheartened people that jumped ship read this. Maybe it's not too late to win back some of their support.

Please spread this far and wide.

powertothepeople
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Can u DIGG IT????

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_reactivates_GOP_candidacy_Vows_to_fight_o n

speciallyblend
02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
no one jumped ship,which ship would they jump to?

The gop has only one choice now RON PAUL,if they ignore this,then we move on and nominate someone outside of the republican party.

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY NEEDS US,not the other way around, look at the money we raised. the gop didnt do that WE DID, WE CAN RUN RON PAUL OR SOMEONE ELSE if the republican party fails itself.......

Paulitical Correctness
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
no one jumped ship

Yes, they did. :confused: After Super Tuesday a lot of people were discouraged. The decrease in donations and forum members speaks for itself.

acptulsa
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd just as soon not spread this disinformation, thank you. Dr. Paul never shut down the campaign, so he couldn't have reactivated it.

maggiebott
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
If they left, they weren't true supporters of the revolution. Hopefully, they come back.

badmedia
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
A few comments here.

About donations. There are many people like myself who are and have been maxed out on donations for awhile. So I can't donate even though I would like to.

I also think the whole money bomb thing was purposely repeated at a rate that was impossible to keep up with. It seems like every week someone is talking about a money bomb, but the idea in itself has come and gone. The current every week money bombs IMO are designed to bring peoples spirits down, because people just can't donate every other day. The reason the previous ones were so successful is because they had plenty of time before hand, and the word got around. IMO, people should donate as soon as they can now, and not wait for this money bombs. The entire reason for the money bombs in the first place was just to get attention to Ron Paul. The only way a money bomb would help now, is if it was planned out well in advance, and still you will have people like me who would love to donate but just aren't allowed to.

I don't think Ron Paul ever stopped the campaign. He cut back because it's not needed to have offices in states where the primaries have already happened. He is good with money and doesn't waste it.

I myself took a bit of a break after super tuesday. After spending the past 9 months promoting him, I needed a break. I didn't stop supporting Ron Paul, but I just had to give my mind a break from dealing with all the false info. I'm sure I'm not alone, people get burned out from time to time and need a break. I have been talking about the same things as Ron Paul for the past 7 years, and I certainly won't stop now.

But we do have to switch modes. Before it was all about just getting Ron Pauls name out. Today, it is about educating and teaching as many people about the truth as possible. As this happens, the speed in which people wake up increases and increases. But you have to educate people so they understand why Ron Paul is the best choice. I've found once you get to that point, then the job is basically done, and you have another person who will spread the word etc, that is how it ends up increasing and increasing.

As far as McCain is concerned. I think it's apparent the GOP is fine with losing this election. They are more worried about keeping all the things they've added to government in the past 7 years than they are about this country. It's plain for all to see, and they will eventually.

humanic
02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
A few comments here.

About donations. There are many people like myself who are and have been maxed out on donations for awhile. So I can't donate even though I would like to.

I also think the whole money bomb thing was purposely repeated at a rate that was impossible to keep up with. It seems like every week someone is talking about a money bomb, but the idea in itself has come and gone. The current every week money bombs IMO are designed to bring peoples spirits down, because people just can't donate every other day. The reason the previous ones were so successful is because they had plenty of time before hand, and the word got around. IMO, people should donate as soon as they can now, and not wait for this money bombs. The entire reason for the money bombs in the first place was just to get attention to Ron Paul. The only way a money bomb would help now, is if it was planned out well in advance, and still you will have people like me who would love to donate but just aren't allowed to.

I don't think Ron Paul ever stopped the campaign. He cut back because it's not needed to have offices in states where the primaries have already happened. He is good with money and doesn't waste it.

I myself took a bit of a break after super tuesday. After spending the past 9 months promoting him, I needed a break. I didn't stop supporting Ron Paul, but I just had to give my mind a break from dealing with all the false info. I'm sure I'm not alone, people get burned out from time to time and need a break. I have been talking about the same things as Ron Paul for the past 7 years, and I certainly won't stop now.

But we do have to switch modes. Before it was all about just getting Ron Pauls name out. Today, it is about educating and teaching as many people about the truth as possible. As this happens, the speed in which people wake up increases and increases. But you have to educate people so they understand why Ron Paul is the best choice. I've found once you get to that point, then the job is basically done, and you have another person who will spread the word etc, that is how it ends up increasing and increasing.

As far as McCain is concerned. I think it's apparent the GOP is fine with losing this election. They are more worried about keeping all the things they've added to government in the past 7 years than they are about this country. It's plain for all to see, and they will eventually.

I endorse this post.

coffeewithchess
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Donations have been pretty dry for a while now.

tamor
02-22-2008, 02:34 PM
$$ going to Dr. Paul's congressional run