PDA

View Full Version : Living off the Grid: This guy is awesome!

amy31416
02-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Civil Disobedience in its most humble forms:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06148/693838-58.stm

Living off the grid might be free, but it's not easy
Sunday, May 28, 2006
By David Templeton, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Martha Rial, Post-Gazette
William Williams at his Reissing Road home in Cecil, where he is digging out the anchor that holds the guy wire from a nearby Allegheny Power utility pole. Mr. Williams uses no public utilities and has been jailed for cutting the guy wire.
Click photo for larger image.
Allegheny Power can use a guy wire to anchor a utility pole in a person's front yard if it has secured a right of way.

That's the law.

But debate rages between a Washington County man and the power company over that issue, with the power company winning each round to date in Magisterial District Court.

And even though he's repeatedly lost in criminal court, William Williams, 76, of Cecil, vows to continue removing the guy wire and its anchor in his yard each time the power company replaces them.

He served 26 days in jail this year for his wire-cutting actions, with more jail time expected in subsequent charges.

It's all part of Mr. Williams' campaign to declare himself free from all public utilities in a case of independent spirit vs. public utility, private rights vs. public service.

But the battle has escalated. Mr. Williams has dug a five-foot hole in his yard to remove the guy-wire anchor. And he knows the likely result: More charges, more jail time.

"I don't bother anyone. Why should they bother me?" he said.

But Allen Staggers, manager of corporate communications for Allegheny Power, said all power company facilities, including guy wires, were on rights of way the company has purchased. With old lines, the right-of-way agreement could have been reached decades ago.

"It's dangerous for people to tamper with our equipment, whether it is a live wire or a guy wire," he said. "[A utility pole] is big, it's heavy and you don't want to compromise the integrity of it. It can result in a power outage or someone getting hurt."

Mr. Williams uses no public utilities at his house on Reissing Road and vows never to use any. He's neither wired, plugged in, tapped in nor in the pipeline.

A self-proclaimed arch enemy of utility companies, he said, he stands determined to show the world how to stretch a dollar, reduce reliance on foreign oil and live the simple life. He also vows to fight for the right to refuse to use any public utilities.

So the man, who dons a trademark orange tassel cap, said he was proud to be off the grid, despite efforts by some utility companies to force him to tap into their lines.

His anti-utility philosophy has landed him in hot water.

He's faced charged three times for cutting the guy wire securing an Allegheny Power utility pole to his property. After each conviction, he's refused to pay restitution, court costs and fines on claims the company is encroaching on his property.

"I won't put up with it," he said. "I'm hard-headed."

Cost is the main reason he weaned himself from public utilities. He retired from Homestead Valve in 1974 and lives on his Social Security check and a $198-a-month pension.

But he said he preferred living without utilities because they are monopolies whose policies and prices threaten one's property rights and financial independence.

Rather than tap into a public waterline, he collects rainwater from his roof gutters in a holding tank. The water flows through a filter into a basement sink.

He uses a septic system, despite the fact Cecil has a public sewage system.

He's placed solar panels in the windows of his beige brick house to power a rechargeable battery for limited electricity.

For nine months, he refused to pay a service charge for electricity because, he said, he was using none. Finally, Allegheny Power removed the electrical lines.

Mr. Williams uses propane, kerosene and wood for what little heat he needs.

Owning neither a clothes washer nor dryer, he does his laundry in a bucket of filtered water and dries it on a backyard clothesline.

He recently gave away his unused refrigerator, preferring to store perishable food in his cool basement.

He never watches television but does listen to a battery-powered radio. Natural gas lines never were installed on his property.

And he has no telephone.

With no utility lines or pipes attached to his house, Mr. Williams is an island of independence in a world of interconnection.

"You have to learn to stretch dollars, and they will stretch," he said.

He cut the guy wire the first time because, he said, he kept tripping over it while collecting berries in his yard. Cecil police cited him for criminal mischief, intentionally damaging property, negligence and reckless endangerment.

But District Judge Valarie Costanzo, of Cecil, dismissed the charges after advising him not to repeat the misdeed.

The second time he cut the wire, he pleaded guilty to the charges and paid $400. He was sentenced to serve 19 days in the Washington County Jail, 17 of which he served after refusing to pay all costs, fines and restitution. Before that, he served seven days in jail for failing to respond to a court order in the case.

The most recent criminal case against Mr. Williams was transferred from Judge Costanzo's jurisdiction to that of District Judge Jay Weller in North Strabane, who found Mr. Williams guilty of the same four charges and assessed him $827 in fines, costs and restitution. Refusing to pay, Mr. Williams said he expected more jail time.

He contends Allegheny Power has no right to use his property to secure its pole because the guy wire and anchor are not within the company's right of way. He said the rights of way were not listed on his deed.

But Allegheny Power officials said the company owned the right of way, or it would not have installed the guy wire and anchor.

He could face even more problems if he doesn't tap into the public sewer system. Its officials could file a lien against his property if he doesn't connect.

For Mr. Williams, it's all a matter of civil disobedience. He said he refuses to surrender his property rights to the utilities.

"I don't owe [Allegheny Power] anything, and I'm not going to pay," he said. "They were on my property, and their right of way ends right here."
First published on May 28, 2006 at 12:00 am
David Templeton can be reached at dtempleton@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1578.

BillyDkid
02-22-2008, 07:43 AM
This reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Either the phone or the electric company pulled up and started digging on this guys lawn - to install a pole or something and he went out to try to stop them and when they wouldn't stop he called the cops. Amazingly enough the cops kicked the company off the guy's property. Not all cops are tools. I'm not sure what happened after that.

amy31416
02-22-2008, 08:18 AM
This reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Either the phone or the electric company pulled up and started digging on this guys lawn - to install a pole or something and he went out to try to stop them and when they wouldn't stop he called the cops. Amazingly enough the cops kicked the company off the guy's property. Not all cops are tools. I'm not sure what happened after that.

Civil disobedience at it's best and most humble. I just hope for solar and wind systems to get cheaper in the near future. I'm certainly game....

mudburn
02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
I like this William Williams guy! Cool! I'm not free from utilities, but I would love to be. In fact, I'm working in the direction of being able to be independent from them, whether by choice or necessity. It's a slow process for me as I must stretch my dollars like Mr. Williams does his. Good for him!!

dp

JimInNY
02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
This is the kind of guy that deserves the full support of freedom lovers everywhere. He is living what we talk about. He is living as a free man in a free country despite the persecution from petty local tyrants.

yongrel
02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Great article.

Highstreet
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Already have 43 acres here in Ohio. My Brother's house is almost finished. Rainwater catchment, solar power, and then we will start on my house.

The orchard was planted 2 years ago, and we have begun the composting cycle to reinvigorate the land.

A lot of people might pay attention because as this economy goes south, there will be more than one reason to have a garden. And there will be more than one reason you won't be able to depend on the Grid.

Any way I can stop paying MONTHLY bills of any kind is more Silver in my pocket.

Bruno
02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Very inspirational.

amy31416
02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
This is the kind of guy that deserves the full support of freedom lovers everywhere. He is living what we talk about. He is living as a free man in a free country despite the persecution from petty local tyrants.

I completely agree, I've been reading up a lot on living off the grid and came across this guy who's not very far away from me!

Unfortunately, solar panels and windmills are still very expensive, but I have to think that there are good ways around this on the cheap.

Enzo
02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Nice!

This is the kind of project I envision Liberty Forest continuing to be involved with.

Supporting the efforts of people like this man.

If there was a way to donate towards his legal defense, I would certainly pitch in.

r3volution
02-23-2008, 08:10 AM
this guy lives very close to me but i never seen this before .
this story is nearly 2yrs old and i am trying to find an update on it , if i cant i may just take a ride down to the guys house .
after that i will contact the ACLU for him to see if they will help , if not i guess i can start a legal collection for him and hand deliver it because he is so close .
i wish i could just hire a lawyer myself for him but my income is not much different than his ...

LittleLightShining
02-23-2008, 08:32 AM
I completely agree, I've been reading up a lot on living off the grid and came across this guy who's not very far away from me!

Unfortunately, solar panels and windmills are still very expensive, but I have to think that there are good ways around this on the cheap. I know from experience what it's like to live off the grid in Northern VT. All year round. It's really not that difficult, it's just different. If you don't mind physical exertion as opposed to pressing buttons it's actually really fun. Changes in the size of my family and economic situation prompted us to live like everyone else in a town, but the longer we're here, the less opportunity we see. I feel blessed to know how to do it in the hardest of conditions. I think we'll need those skills again sooner than later.

You'd be surprised at how little electricity one needs. Food is less perishable than most people think. The biggest challenge is laundry.

Dr.3D
02-23-2008, 08:47 AM
I know a guy who placed a water wheel in the river running through his property. He was told to take it out or he would be fined. Seems the river is not part of his property and belongs to the state.

I guess they have ya coming and going.

familydog
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
This guy is a true patriot. He deserves nothing but respect and admiration. Good for him :D

amy31416
02-24-2008, 11:18 AM
this guy lives very close to me but i never seen this before .
this story is nearly 2yrs old and i am trying to find an update on it , if i cant i may just take a ride down to the guys house .
after that i will contact the ACLU for him to see if they will help , if not i guess i can start a legal collection for him and hand deliver it because he is so close .
i wish i could just hire a lawyer myself for him but my income is not much different than his ...

That's great! Please update me as I get to the 'Burgh quite frequently...I'd like to know if he's okay and I'd also contribute to his defense fund if he needs it.

I'd also just love to meet him, he seems like an interesting guy.

amy31416
02-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I know from experience what it's like to live off the grid in Northern VT. All year round. It's really not that difficult, it's just different. If you don't mind physical exertion as opposed to pressing buttons it's actually really fun. Changes in the size of my family and economic situation prompted us to live like everyone else in a town, but the longer we're here, the less opportunity we see. I feel blessed to know how to do it in the hardest of conditions. I think we'll need those skills again sooner than later.

You'd be surprised at how little electricity one needs. Food is less perishable than most people think. The biggest challenge is laundry.

You're right, we probably will need these skills. I'm trying to "learn" myself now so I can make sure that I have things in place for my mother who's nearing retirement age.

I think I would go with wood heating...not sure what I'd do about electricity--not enough room or sun for solar panels up this way. It's tough to consider a giant windmill right in the middle of suburbia ;)

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I hope to be off the grid myself soon. i admire this guy.

jmdrake
02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Hmmm....am I missing something here? From the article:

But Allen Staggers, manager of corporate communications for Allegheny Power, said all power company facilities, including guy wires, were on rights of way the company has purchased. With old lines, the right-of-way agreement could have been reached decades ago.

While I personally think living off the grid is great and I admire someone wanting to "fight the system" how can this guy claim absolute rights when he or someone else sold the right of way decades ago? And is it fair for him to endanger not just himself, but his neighbors and anybody that might drive by just so he can prove a point about property rights that he really doesn't have?

Regards,

John M. Drake

LittleLightShining
02-27-2008, 09:34 AM
You're right, we probably will need these skills. I'm trying to "learn" myself now so I can make sure that I have things in place for my mother who's nearing retirement age.

I think I would go with wood heating...not sure what I'd do about electricity--not enough room or sun for solar panels up this way. It's tough to consider a giant windmill right in the middle of suburbia ;)

We lived with no electric whatsoever. Batteries for radio and an inverter that plugged into my car cig. lighter to charge my cellphone. We used an old fashioned icebox for refrigeration, propane for cooking and hot water, gravity fed plumbing for the sink and shower and an outhouse. We also had a gaslight but preferred candle light. Some people like oil lamps, but if you knock one over you are more likely to start a big fire than if a candle falls over. We did heat with wood. We used the laundromat. Laundry, hands down, was the biggest challenge. In the summer I sometimes did it by hand in a kiddie pool, but that is backbreaking work.

amy31416
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Hmmm....am I missing something here? From the article:

While I personally think living off the grid is great and I admire someone wanting to "fight the system" how can this guy claim absolute rights when he or someone else sold the right of way decades ago? And is it fair for him to endanger not just himself, but his neighbors and anybody that might drive by just so he can prove a point about property rights that he really doesn't have?

Regards,

John M. Drake

He claims that, according to his deed, they have no right-of-way. The article says "the agreement could have been reached decades ago."

amy31416
02-27-2008, 09:48 AM
We lived with no electric whatsoever. Batteries for radio and an inverter that plugged into my car cig. lighter to charge my cellphone. We used an old fashioned icebox for refrigeration, propane for cooking and hot water, gravity fed plumbing for the sink and shower and an outhouse. We also had a gaslight but preferred candle light. Some people like oil lamps, but if you knock one over you are more likely to start a big fire than if a candle falls over. We did heat with wood. We used the laundromat. Laundry, hands down, was the biggest challenge. In the summer I sometimes did it by hand in a kiddie pool, but that is backbreaking work.

Interesting that laundry is always the biggest challenge. Is it generally the high electricity consumption that makes it a problem?

LittleLightShining
02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Interesting that laundry is always the biggest challenge. Is it generally the high electricity consumption that makes it a problem?
Well, we just didn't have electric to use so we didn't have a washer or dryer. There are some very efficient washers on the market, one of which I have now in my "real" house. But between the amount of water one needs to do a good job washing by hand, never mind, like I said, the backbreaking labor of the job we chose to use the laundry. We did have a neighbor with an old fashioned ringer style washer and there are other tumble-style washers you can buy through Lehman's or the Solar Living Sourcebook but we, having 3 and then 4 in the family had a LOT of laundry and other things to do with our time.

2orb
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Here's an update I saw in the local paper of the same William K. Williams.

Cecil Twp. man determined to not tap home into sewer system

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/07-29williams-fight-tap-in

noxagol
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
A friend and I are working on a solar powered steam engine system to power a 20kw generator. We are working with spare bits and fanangling the stuff together right now, but I think once we get a prototype working and dump some real work and engineering we could get 100kw generator going.

tmosley
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
A friend and I are working on a solar powered steam engine system to power a 20kw generator. We are working with spare bits and fanangling the stuff together right now, but I think once we get a prototype working and dump some real work and engineering we could get 100kw generator going.

Could you give us some more details on this? How much does a system like that cost?

Mini-Me
07-30-2008, 01:09 AM
He could face even more problems if he doesn't tap into the public sewer system. Its officials could file a lien against his property if he doesn't connect.

This is the worrisome part of the article: He's not complying, so officials are going to try to "legally" steal his house from him. Civil disobedience is great and all, but...what can he do once they take his frickin' house? He pretty much has four options short of resisting violently:

Live homeless - or somewhere else, if he can afford it
Hope the ACLU or some other big organization will help him duke it out in the legal system until he gets his house back
Break into his house and try to live there as if nothing has happened - get arrested, do his time, get released...break into his house and try to live there as if nothing happened, lather, rinse, repeat.
Go batshit crazy and run naked through city hall punching people in the face (I guess this counts as resisting violently, though)

Assuming he really does own full property rights, this guy is a hero - but if the sewer company has its way, I'm not sure how well it's going to turn out for him.

Perry
07-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Bravo! In the spirit of Mahatma Ghandi.

noxagol
07-30-2008, 03:40 AM
Could you give us some more details on this? How much does a system like that cost?

Well, our cost right now is 0 since we are using stuff already on hand and just modifying it to our needs. We are masters of resourcefulness. Though there is stuff we don't have yet that we will need to buy.

Our source of heat is a Fresnel lens, shown in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtA8E5iw3k

It can produce a concentration of light that can turn concrete into lava and melt steel like butter.

We are going to incorporate a parabolic mirror opposite the lens and tie it all into a heliostat system so they are both always inline with the sun with the boiler tank between them.

Our engine right now is an old air compressor. It is the same design as a single stroke steam engine, you just pump stuff into it to drive something instead of using and engine to drive the pump.

We are also making the generator from scratch which is nothing more than a powerful natrual magnet inside a coil of wires and you spin one or the other. The changing magnetic field causes a creation of electric potential, or voltage.

Here is a video of the steam engine action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGpbvvJA2I

Just attach an electric generator to the motor and viola, free electricity. We figure we could make roughly $5500 dollars a year selling power back on the grid through net metering.

Once we make a prototype of the actual system, it could cost a couple thousand maybe. We are also wanting to use this engine as our steam engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ41rKx8XoM&feature=related