PDA

View Full Version : I was playing checkers with my daughter tonight...

acmegeek
02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I was playing checkers with my 4 year old daughter tonight. It was her first time playing. As many of you know, you don't just dominate and take advantage of someone who has no reason to have really known how to play. I gave her plenty of opportunities to jump and have her pieces "kinged". In the end, I had 3 kings and she had 1. She enjoyed it and learned some of the rules along the way. Even a simple game like checkers involved strategy. It involves anticipating future moves, both yours and your opponent's.

In this campaign, the candidates are not playing something as simple as checkers, they are playing chess. And they are not novices or at least they shouldn't be in their positions. This game started out with 11 sides, but now with just 3, the victor will simply be the one who has planned out all his possible moves to a checkmate. Our beloved Ron Paul is a chessmaster and in spite of all the blocks that his opponents and the race in general have thrown at him, he knows what he is doing and has calculated every possible checkmate scenario.

Now, I personally am not a great chess player, barely amateur at best. So when I watch others play, I may be genuinely surprised at the kind of plays they may setup. Right now, many of us and most of the rest of the voting population are but amateurs as we watch this chess match slowly unfold. We think we know what is going on. We may think we know who looks like they are winning. But in the end it simply comes down to who has thought it through and who knows how to adjust their strategy no matter what their opponent does.

So, I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Ron Paul is in this to win it. If you believe he is the man to run this entire country and save us from most certain doom, trust him to have a very well-planned strategy to win this entire thing!

It isn't a secret anymore that pawns become queens.

He has the money, he has the strategy, he still has the most devoted core group of supporters of ANY of the candidates, GOP or DEM. And he alone has the consistent principled integrity our nation so deserves. He alone has a researched, detailed plan to excise the root cancers that are killing our country. He alone is truly being honest with the American people and even more importantly, being honest with himself.

So, in the next few weeks, pull out your chess board, or even play some online chess. You may gain a fresh perspective on what true long-term strategy really is. You may realize that sometimes you have to appear weak and vulnerable to instill a false confidence. All I know is that it isn't as easy as it looks...

Onyx
02-21-2008, 10:47 PM
This only works when the rules are fair to everybody. Do you think McCain would be getting votes if he wasn't mentioned in the MSM? Come on now.

Jeremy
02-21-2008, 10:50 PM
nice comparison =)

ronpaulhawaii
02-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Great post!!!

spudea
02-21-2008, 11:09 PM
chess has rules. Politics does not.

kyleAF
02-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Oh but it does.

The golden rule: "All politics is local"

There is no method of stopping a bottom-up approach, except the lack of resolve in those taking the approach.

Scott Wilson
02-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Ron Paul may be a chess master but it is the peoples vote that makes the moves.

d03boy
02-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The difficult part about playing checkers is the simplicity. Chess is easier because there are more options. Sneak attacks work.

Pauliana
02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Good analogy.

Play the game to win.

yaz
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM

politics has rules. when i went to the leadership institute they gave me a list of 100 golden rules when running for office.

gerryb
02-21-2008, 11:54 PM
just an interesting tidbit: The game of checkers has been solved.

"if two opponents play as perfectly as humanly possible, the outcome will always be a draw, despite the 500 billion billion theoretically possible board positions. That astronomical number of possibilities makes checkers the most complex game that has been solved to date."

http://www.iberkshires.com/story.php?story_id=25869

It was interesting to me how complex such a seemingly simple game actually is.

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Onyx, I share your frustrations. The thing is that plain and simple, this world is not fair.

Those who want to succeed while still playing fairly must rely on long-term strategies.

Ron was a long distance runner in high school. He is still a long distance runner.

Personally, I can't run any distance... I can sprint but that's it.

Ron understands pacing, he understands long-term strategy...

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, it appears that McCain may have violated some pretty big rules in politics... Part of my strategy when playing board games is to read all the rules. I think that either McCain didn't really "read" all the rules or he took a gamble that he could somehow skirt them because he is "John McCain". I think it will be supremely ironic if McCain's downfall is a result of him violating McCain-Feingold...

And like other's have mentioned, Paul most likely knew this. He factored this into his strategy. Paul of course knows the rules better than anyone in this game.

Paulitical Correctness
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I hope you're right..

Truth Warrior
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Chess is the Russians game. Americans prefer poker.

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
well... the metaphor applies to poker as well... Paul has a pretty good poker face and has a history of not showing his cards until everyone else either folds or he knows he has the winning hand... :)

acptulsa
02-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure any of these analogies works. Politics is a team sport. The others have the power players. Ron has us, and we have heart.

If they lose, they don't get as rich. If we lose, we lose the nation and the people's freedoms. Makes it frustrating that the people don't back us more, but it sure leads us to play with tireless passion.

These RINO linemen may weigh three hundred steroid-fed pounds each, but with God as my witness, I say we can take 'em!

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
acptulsa,

I agree that it is a team sport, but the strategies still hold if it is one person or a whole team. We are his team, of that I have no doubt. We have given him the courage and strength.

Strategy can beat brute strength any day...

Leverage, timing, surprise, and patience are all strategies that can quickly turn the tables.

So, again, the bottom line is if you trust Ron to be your president... trust him to run his campaign. Once he becomes president, he'll face even bigger adversaries and trials, and things will most assuredly not be "fair".

dirknb@hotmail.com
02-22-2008, 01:58 PM
The tortoise beats the hare in the end.....

newbitech
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Relying on your opponents to forfeit or break the rules isn't really a strategy.

AlabamaWildMan
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
In a Word:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/Alabama_Wild_Man/Homer.jpg?t=1203711099

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 02:36 PM
newbitech, I guess it depends on your definition of winning or finishing a race...

In running a marathon, (something I've never done, but plan to someday), you still win even if others can't finish or are disqualified...

As the tortoise... Paul understands that in this particular race, slow and steady will win. It is just a matter of finishing the race. Of course, this isn't his only strategy, but it is a big part of it.

Again, don't despair, this is FAR from over...

acptulsa
02-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Relying on your opponents to forfeit or break the rules isn't really a strategy.

Seen worse. After all, powerful Republicans in general and McCain in particular are pretty reliable in this department...

jsu718
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Ron Paul never moves his back row.

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 05:15 PM
jsu718,

Yes, actually it is very like that... he just keeps advancing his pawns and hasn't started to use the back row yet... he doesn't need to since all the other candidates are knocking each other out as it is...

Carole
02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
One of his chess play adjustments appears to be his "strong encouragemnet" for the march on DC.

He also knows the value of "local" politics. Remember how the caucus works in his favor, too. But most of all, delegates, delegates, delegates, and canvassing.

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 06:01 PM
I just posted this on DP as well, but it is appropriate here:

Don't discount Ron winning just yet... this is far from over.
- The votes that count haven't been cast.
- Those who cast the vote that count haven't all been selected yet.
- Those who cast the votes to select the people who will ultimately cast the votes that count haven't all been selected yet...

This is FAR from over...

acmegeek
02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, two of his tactics are the march and his book...

And strangely, I think his humble approach is yet another tactic...

He alone, out of all the candidates, has approached this race from literally ALL angles... little bits here and there. Once everything is in position, it will be easy to give the command, rise up in strength, and surge to victory...