Arial

Main Opinion Page
Chronicle Sunday Insight
Chronicle Campaigns

SF Chronicle Submissions
Letters to the Editor
Open Forum
Sunday Insight

"The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers, is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist."

- Winston Churchill, Nov. 21, 1943

Since 9/11, and seemingly without the notice of most Americans, the federal government has assumed the authority to institute martial law, arrest a wide swath of dissidents (citizen and noncitizen alike), and detain people without legal or constitutional recourse in the event of "an emergency influx of immigrants in the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs."

Beginning in 1999, the government has entered into a series of single-bid contracts with Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg, Brown and Root (KBR) to build detention camps at undisclosed locations within the United States. The government has also contracted with several companies to build thousands of railcars, some reportedly equipped with shackles, ostensibly to transport detainees.

According to diplomat and author Peter Dale Scott, the KBR contract is part of a Homeland Security plan titled ENDGAME, which sets as its goal the removal of "all removable aliens" and "potential terrorists."

Fraud-busters such as Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Los Angeles, have complained about these contracts, saying that more taxpayer dollars should not go to taxpayer-gouging Halliburton. But the real question is: What kind of "new programs" require the construction and refurbishment of detention facilities in nearly every state of the union with the capacity to house perhaps millions of people?

Sect. 1042 of the 2007 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), "Use of the Armed Forces in Major Public Emergencies," gives the executive the power to invoke martial law. For the first time in more than a century, the president is now authorized to use the military in response to "a natural disaster, a disease outbreak, a terrorist attack or any other condition in which the President determines that domestic violence has occurred to the extent that state officials cannot maintain public order."

The Military Commissions Act of 2006, rammed through Congress just before the 2006 midterm elections, allows for the indefinite imprisonment of anyone who donates money to a charity that turns up on a list of "terrorist" organizations, or who speaks out against the government's policies. The law calls for secret trials for citizens and noncitizens alike.

Also in 2007, the White House quietly issued National Security Presidential Directive 51 (NSPD-51), to ensure "continuity of government" in the event of what the document vaguely calls a "catastrophic emergency." Should the president determine that such an emergency has occurred, he and he alone is empowered to do whatever he deems necessary to ensure "continuity of government." This could include everything from canceling elections to suspending the Constitution to launching a nuclear attack. Congress has yet to hold a single hearing on NSPD-51.

U.S. Rep. Jane Harman, D-Venice (Los Angeles County) has come up with a new way to expand the domestic "war on terror." Her Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 (HR1955), which passed the House by the lopsided vote of 404-6, would set up a commission to "examine and report upon the facts and causes" of so-called violent radicalism and extremist ideology, then make legislative recommendations on combatting it.

According to commentary in the Baltimore Sun, Rep. Harman and her colleagues from both sides of the aisle believe the country faces a native brand of terrorism, and needs a commission with sweeping investigative power to combat it.

A clue as to where Harman's commission might be aiming is the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, a law that labels those who "engage in sit-ins, civil disobedience, trespass, or any other crime in the name of animal rights" as terrorists. Other groups in the crosshairs could be anti-abortion protesters, anti-tax agitators, immigration activists, environmentalists, peace demonstrators, Second Amendment rights supporters ... the list goes on and on. According to author Naomi Wolf, the National Counterterrorism Center holds the names of roughly 775,000 "terror suspects" with the number increasing by 20,000 per month.

What could the government be contemplating that leads it to make contingency plans to detain without recourse millions of its own citizens?

The Constitution does not allow the executive to have unchecked power under any circumstances. The people must not allow the president to use the war on terrorism to rule by fear instead of by law.

Lewis Seiler is the president of Voice of the Environment, Inc. Dan Hamburg, a former congressman, is executive director.

This article appeared on page B - 7 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Libertytree
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
They never built those camps for nothing. These facilities are very real folks and somehow the UN is involved in this "project".

There has to be places to put all those guilty of thought crimes.

Give me liberty
02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
post link thanks

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
It appears to be from here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/ED5OUPQJ7.DTL

SteveMartin
02-21-2008, 09:13 AM
To my knowledge this is the first time a MSM outlet has acknowledged what we have all known for many years.

Talk about a warning??

SaratogaForRonPaul
02-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Can someone Digg this?

the_bee
02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
The question is what we are going to do
About it if this shit starts happening?:mad:

thuja
02-21-2008, 09:22 AM
yes, what?

SteveMartin
02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Buy an island soon, and get the heck out unless RP pulls out the R nomination....

thuja
02-21-2008, 09:29 AM
any ideas? has anyone asked their congress or senators for explanations of these?

thuja
02-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Buy an island soon, and get the heck out unless RP pulls out the R nomination....

better hurry then, islands are turning into rent-an-island things, as i see in magazines.

thuja
02-21-2008, 09:37 AM
i hope someone has ideas how to stop these. all i can think of is stay out of everything, mind all the laws and pray. but, people, including me have spoken out against the id card, the nau, the nais, etc... so, who is doing anything about detention centres here?

Libertytree
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
They're obviously not rounding up a massive flood of illegal immigrants, so that assertion can be dismissed off the get go.

The thought crime scenario seems more likely. Remote locations where dissenting voices can be kept from spreading their heresy.

But what if they didn't have to round the majority up at all, instead people voluntarily lined up en mass to occupy the "relief centers"?

Sound impossible? Let's say that the dollar becomes practically worthless, crisis and general mayhem breakout. When the general population knows fear and famine people will gladly fill those places to the brim in order to protect and feed their families because that's what the government is supposed to do. That's what the mindset is today in America and don't think for an instant they won't squeeze it for every ounce they can ring out of it.

LibertyOfOne
02-21-2008, 09:45 AM
"They're obviously not rounding up a massive flood of illegal immigrants, so that assertion can be dismissed off the get go."

Which would be as bad as rounding up citizens anyways. These are fucking human beings we are talking about.

thuja
02-21-2008, 09:46 AM
They're obviously not rounding up a massive flood of illegal immigrants, so that assertion can be dismissed off the get go.

The thought crime scenario seems more likely. Remote locations where dissenting voices can be kept from spreading their heresy.

But what if they didn't have to round the majority up at all, instead people voluntarily lined up en mass to occupy the "relief centers"?

Sound impossible? Let's say that the dollar becomes practically worthless, crisis and general mayhem breakout. When the general population knows fear and famine people will gladly fill those places to the brim in order to protect and feed their families because that's what the government is supposed to do. That's what the mindset is today in America and don't think for an instant they won't squeeze it for every ounce they can ring out of it.
wow. that's what they're for?
anway, has anyone seen these and photographed them, in and out? i mean is everyone sure they exist?

Cleaner44
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM

I'm liking this idea more and more. I just want to live free and not be robbed by a government.

EvilEngineer
02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
The question is... if we leave or protect our selves, and leave the sheeple that voted McCain, Hillary, Obama... in to power, to suffer the fate of these rail cars. Do we care?

Libertytree
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Maybe this should be in its own thread but I'm curious.

How many people think they could be or are guilty of a thought crime?

(HR 1955) http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1955

(S 1959)

EvilEngineer
02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Maybe this should be in its own thread but I'm curious.

How many people think they could be or are guilty of a thought crime?

(HR 1955) http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1955

(S 1959)

I'm guilty... many times over. Though depending on how things go.. I might just join the DHS to at least be on the side corralling people to their doom, instead of being corralled to mine and my families doom. Sadly, I'd probably do it with some sense of satisfaction too... "haha, I warned you, should have voted for Ron Paul."

These are the criminals in congress responsible for this bill.
Rep. Christopher Carney [D-PA]
Del. Donna Christensen [D-VI]
Rep. Yvette Clarke [D-NY]
Rep. Charles Dent [R-PA]
Rep. Norman Dicks [D-WA]
Rep. Al Green [D-TX]
Rep. James Langevin [D-RI]
Rep. Zoe Lofgren [D-CA]
Rep. Nita Lowey [D-NY]
Rep. Daniel Lungren [R-CA]
Rep. Ed Perlmutter [D-CO]
Rep. Ted Poe [R-TX]
Rep. Dave Reichert [R-WA]
Rep. Bennie Thompson [D-MS]

If you've got one near you, make sure they NEVER get re-elected.

Redmenace
02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
I wear my thought crime like a badge of honor, its called my Ron Paul bumper sticker.

TruthAtLast
02-21-2008, 10:09 AM

This doesn't work.

You can't Hide
You can't "drop out" of the system... THEY WILL FIND YOU eventually
You can't leave or go to another country or another state because the ultimate plan in world governance.... they WILL find you eventually.
Letters and signatures do NOTHING
Courts do nothing... they control them
You can join them, but then you have lost all liberty so that doesn't solve the problem either.
There is ONLY ONE REAL SOLUTION.... WE MUST RECAPTURE THE SHIP.

We must strip the power from these people. We must take it back the same way it was taken from us.

Get people elected to Congress and other public offices, build the infrastructure, and in four years we will retake the white house. Of course RP delegates are still important because you never know what can happen this year. And even if he doesn't win, it brings more attention to the cause and pushes the Movement forward.

This will get worse people. Many people keep waiting for someone else to solve the problem. They keep saying "well they can't do this forever". YES THEY CAN, AND THEY WILL.... until a group stands up and takes this power from them.

We know we can do this, we've had many successes already.

"yeah but look the the fraud. Look at the control they have in the voting process"

Listen, no one said it was going to be easy. People with power aren't just going to hand it over without a fight. But even despite these obstacles, this message has spread and we have seen success in its growth. We know what we are up against now and I believe that is a huge asset. A few months ago I didn't even know how the delegate system really worked. We can educate people... wake them up... and rally more to our cause. You can't win unless we understand your enemy and we understand ourselves.

Every single person REALLY needs to view the video presentation in my signature. It changed my entire outlook on this fight against tyranny.

PatriotOne
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
anway, has anyone seen these and photographed them, in and out? i mean is everyone sure they exist?

I don't know about the rest of your questions (just because I haven't taken the time to go look) but I do know KBR was awarded contracts to build detention centers (see link below). The original justification was for illegal immigrants but take note of the or "new programs" language.

Since they have been recieving money from the Government to build them since the year 2000 one would assume they are being built. If not, it would really beg the question what they are doing with the money they are receivng if not!

Here's a Haliburton (which KBR is a subsidiary of) announcement about the awarding of the KBR/Detention Center contract:

KBR awarded Homeland Security contract worth up to $385M

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...7662-858254656

HAL 36.45, +0.12, +0.3%) , said Tuesday it has been awarded a contingency contract from the Department of Homeland Security to supports its Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities in the event of an emergency. The maximum total value of the contract is $385 million and consists of a 1-year base period with four 1-year options. KBR held the previous ICE contract from 2000 through 2005. The contract, which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to expand existing ICE Detention and Removal Operations Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs, KBR said. The contract may also provide migrant detention support to other government organizations in the event of an immigration emergency, as well as the development of a plan to react to a national emergency, such as a natural disaster, the company said.

TruthAtLast
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I might just join the DHS to at least be on the side corralling people to their doom, instead of being corralled to mine and my families doom.

I hope this was a joke. Sounds to me like the Nazi soldiers that killed millions of people because some nutjob told them to and threatened their families.

pcosmar
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
It is good to see it covered by the MSM. It has been known for some time.
http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/05/13/you-are-the-homegrown-terrorist-threat/

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/images/domestic-terrorist/468x60.png
Take the test.
http://www.quizilla.com/score/display.php?item_id=4833864

Your score is 70%
Congratulations, you are a domestic terrorist. Well, at least you are according to the US government. Consider turning yourself in to your local authorities. There are FBI offices all around they country and they would like to talk to you. Pack your bags for Gitmo because the government doesn't like you.

I know where two of the Camps are near me.

EvilEngineer
02-21-2008, 10:22 AM
It is good to see it covered by the MSM. It has been known for some time.
http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/05/13/you-are-the-homegrown-terrorist-threat/

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/images/domestic-terrorist/468x60.png
Take the test.
http://www.quizilla.com/score/display.php?item_id=4833864

I know where two of the Camps are near me.

Hmm...

Your score is 100%
So, exactly where did you get those nice little weapons you have? And how many do you have. With this score, you don't need me to tell you that you're a terrorist, you likely already have targets mapped out and are working on a date to strike. Just drop me a line when you're ready so I can get out of the line of fire, huh?

hyoomen
02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
From http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2007/cr120507h.htm

Remarks on Violent Radicalization & Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act, HR 1955

5 December 2007

Rep. Ron Paul, M.D.

Madame Speaker, I regret that I was unavoidably out of town on October 23, 2007, when a vote was taken on HR 1955, the Violent Radicalization & Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act. Had I been able to vote, I would have voted against this misguided and dangerous piece of legislation. This legislation focuses the weight of the US government inward toward its own citizens under the guise of protecting us against “violent radicalization.”

I would like to note that this legislation was brought to the floor for a vote under suspension of regular order. These so-called “suspension” bills are meant to be non-controversial, thereby negating the need for the more complete and open debate allowed under regular order. It is difficult for me to believe that none of my colleagues in Congress view HR 1955, with its troubling civil liberties implications, as “non-controversial.”

There are many causes for concern in HR 1955. The legislation specifically singles out the Internet for “facilitating violent radicalization, ideologically based violence, and the homegrown terrorism process” in the United States. Such language may well be the first step toward US government regulation of what we are allowed to access on the Internet. Are we, for our own good, to be subjected to the kind of governmental control of the Internet that we see in unfree societies? This bill certainly sets us on that course.

This seems to be an unwise and dangerous solution in search of a real problem. Previous acts of ideologically-motivated violence, though rare, have been resolved successfully using law enforcement techniques, existing laws against violence, and our court system. Even if there were a surge of “violent radicalization” -- a claim for which there is no evidence -- there is no reason to believe that our criminal justice system is so flawed and weak as to be incapable of trying and punishing those who perpetrate violent acts.

This legislation will set up a new government bureaucracy to monitor and further study the as-yet undemonstrated pressing problem of homegrown terrorism and radicalization. It will no doubt prove to be another bureaucracy that artificially inflates problems so as to guarantee its future existence and funding. But it may do so at great further expense to our civil liberties. What disturbs me most about this legislation is that it leaves the door wide open for the broadest definition of what constitutes “radicalization.” Could otherwise non-violent anti-tax, antiwar, or anti-abortion groups fall under the watchful eye of this new government commission? Assurances otherwise in this legislation are unconvincing.

In addition, this legislation will create a Department of Homeland Security-established university-based body to further study radicalization and to “contribute to the establishment of training, written materials, information, analytical assistance and professional resources to aid in combating violent radicalization and homegrown terrorism.” I wonder whether this is really a legitimate role for institutes of higher learning in a free society.

Legislation such as this demands heavy-handed governmental action against American citizens where no crime has been committed. It is yet another attack on our Constitutionally-protected civil liberties. It is my sincere hope that we will reject such approaches to security, which will fail at their stated goal at a great cost to our way of life.

PatriotOne
02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Here is some interesting insight on the subject from Project Censored:

http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2007/index.htm#14

#14 Homeland Security Contracts KBR to Build Detention Centers in the US
Sources:
New America Media, January 31, 2006
Title: “Homeland Security Contracts for Vast New Detention Camps”
Author: Peter Dale Scott

New America Media, February 21, 2006
Title: “10-Year US Strategic Plan for Detention Camps Revives Proposals from Oliver North”
Author: Peter Dale Scott

Consortiium, February 21, 2006
Title: “Bush's Mysterious ‘New Programs’”
Author: Nat Parry

Buzzflash
Title: “Detention Camp Jitters”
Author: Maureen Farrell

Community Evaluator: Dr. Gary Evans
Student Researchers: Sean Hurley and Caitlyn Peele

Halliburton’s subsidiary KBR (formerly Kellogg, Brown and Root) announced on January 24, 2006 that it had been awarded a $385 million contingency contract by the Department of Homeland Security to build detention camps in the United States.

According to a press release posted on the Halliburton website, “The contract, which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to augment existing Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Detention and Removal Operations (DRO) Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs. The contingency support contract provides for planning and, if required, initiation of specific engineering, construction and logistics support tasks to establish, operate and maintain one or more expansion facilities.”

What little coverage the announcement received focused on concerns about Halliburton’s reputation for overcharging U.S. taxpayers for substandard services.

Less attention was focused on the phrase “rapid development of new programs” or what type of programs might require a major expansion of detention centers, capable of holding 5,000 people each. Jamie Zuieback, spokeswoman for ICE, declined to elaborate on what these “new programs” might be.

Only a few independent journalists, such as Peter Dale Scott, Maureen Farrell, and Nat Parry have explored what the Bush administration might actually have in mind.

Scott speculates that the “detention centers could be used to detain American citizens if the Bush administration were to declare martial law.” He recalled that during the Reagan administration, National Security Council aide Oliver North organized the Rex-84 “readiness exercise,” which contemplated the Federal Emergency Management Agency rounding up and detaining 400,000 “refugees” in the event of “uncontrolled population movements” over the Mexican border into the U.S.

North’s exercise, which reportedly contemplated possible suspension of the Constitution, led to a line of questioning during the Iran-Contra Hearings concerning the idea that plans for expanded internment and detention facilities would not be confined to “refugees” alone.

It is relevant, says Scott, that in 2002 Attorney General John Ashcroft announced his desire to see camps for U.S. citizens deemed to be “enemy combatants.” On February 17, 2006, in a speech to the Council on Foreign Relations, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld spoke of the harm being done to the country’s security, not just by the enemy, but also by what he called “news informers” who needed to be combated in “a contest of wills.”

Since September 11 the Bush administration has implemented a number of interrelated programs that were planned in the 1980s under President Reagan. Continuity of Government (COG) proposals—a classified plan for keeping a secret “government-within-the-government” running during and after a nuclear disaster—included vastly expanded detention capabilities, warrantless eavesdropping, and preparations for greater use of martial law.

Scott points out that, while Oliver North represented a minority element in the Reagan administration, which soon distanced itself from both the man and his proposals, the minority associated with COG planning, which included Cheney and Rumsfeld, appear to be in control of the U.S. government today.

Farrell speculates that, because another terror attack is all but certain, it seems far more likely that the detention centers would be used for post-September 11-type detentions of rounded-up immigrants rather than for a sudden deluge of immigrants flooding across the border.

Vietnam-era whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg ventures, “Almost certainly this is preparation for a roundup after the next September 11 for Mid-Easterners, Muslims and possibly dissenters. They’ve already done this on a smaller scale, with the ‘special registration’ detentions of immigrant men from Muslim countries, and with Guantánamo.”

Parry notes that The Washington Post reported on February 15, 2006 that the National Counterterrorism Center’s (NCTC) central repository holds the names of 325,000 terrorist suspects, a fourfold increase since fall of 2003.
Asked whether the names in the repository were collected through the NSA’s domestic surveillance program, an NCTC official told the Post, “Our database includes names of known and suspected international terrorists provided by all intelligence community organizations, including NSA.”

As the administration scoops up more and more names, members of Congress have questioned the elasticity of Bush’s definitions for words like terrorist “affiliates,” used to justify wiretapping Americans allegedly in contact with such people or entities.

A Defense Department document, entitled the “Strategy for Homeland Defense and Civil Support,” has set out a military strategy against terrorism that envisions an “active, layered defense” both inside and outside U.S. territory. In the document, the Pentagon pledges to “transform U.S. military forces to execute homeland defense missions in the . . . U.S. homeland.” The strategy calls for increased military reconnaissance and surveillance to “defeat potential challengers before they threaten the United States.” The plan “maximizes threat awareness and seizes the initiative from those who would harm us.”

But there are concerns, warns Parry, over how the Pentagon judges “threats” and who falls under the category of “those who would harm us.” A Pentagon official said the Counterintelligence Field Activity’s TALON program has amassed files on antiwar protesters.

In the view of some civil libertarians, a form of martial law already exists in the U.S. and has been in place since shortly after the September 11 attacks when Bush issued Military Order Number One, which empowered him to detain any noncitizen as an international terrorist or enemy combatant. Today that order extends to U.S. citizens as well.

Farrell ends her article with the conclusion that while much speculation has been generated by KBR’s contract to build huge detention centers within the U.S., “The truth is, we won’t know the real purpose of these centers unless ‘contingency plans are needed.’ And by then, it will be too late.”

UPDATE BY PETER DALE SCOTT
The contract of the Halliburton subsidiary KBR to build immigrant detention facilities is part of a longer-term Homeland Security plan titled ENDGAME, which sets as its goal the removal of “all removable aliens” and “potential terrorists.” In the 1980s Richard Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld discussed similar emergency detention powers as part of a super-secret program of planning for what was euphemistically called “Continuity of Government” (COG) in the event of a nuclear disaster. At the time, Cheney was a Wyoming congressman, while Rumsfeld, who had been defense secretary under President Ford, was a businessman and CEO of the drug company G.D. Searle.

These men planned for suspension of the Constitution, not just after nuclear attack, but for any “national security emergency,” which they defined in Executive Order 12656 of 1988 as: “Any occurrence, including natural disaster, military attack, technological or other emergency, that seriously degrades or seriously threatens the national security of the United States.” Clearly September 11 would meet this definition, and did, for COG was instituted on that day. As the Washington Post later explained, the order “dispatched a shadow government of about 100 senior civilian managers to live and work secretly outside Washington, activating for the first time long-standing plans.”

What these managers in this shadow government worked on has never been reported. But it is significant that the group that prepared ENDGAME was, as the Homeland Security document puts it, “chartered in September 2001.” For ENDGAME’s goal of a capacious detention capability is remarkably similar to Oliver North’s controversial Rex-84 “readiness exercise” for COG in 1984. This called for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to round up and detain 400,000 imaginary “refugees,” in the context of “uncontrolled population movements” over the Mexican border into the United States.

UPDATE BY MAUREEN FARRELL
When the story about Kellogg, Brown and Root’s contract for emergency detention centers broke, immigration was not the hot button issue it is today. Given this, the language in Halliburton’s press release, stating that the centers would be built in the event of an “emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S.,” raised eyebrows, especially among those familiar with Rex-84 and other Reagan-era initiatives. FEMA’s former plans ‘for the detention of at least 21 million American Negroes in assembly centers or relocation camps’ added to the distrust, and the second stated reason for the KBR contract, “to support the rapid development of new programs,” sent imaginations reeling.

While few in the mainstream media made the connection between KBR’s contract and previous programs, Fox News eventually addressed this issue, pooh-poohing concerns as the province of “conspiracy theories” and “unfounded” fears. My article attempted to sift through the speculation, focusing on verifiable information found in declassified and leaked documents which proved that, in addition to drawing up contingency plans for martial law, the government has conducted military readiness exercises designed to round up and detain both illegal aliens and U.S. citizens.
How concerned should Americans be? Recent reports are conflicting and confusing:

In May, 2006, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) began “Operation Return to Sender,” which involved catching illegal immigrants and deporting them. In June, however, President Bush vowed that there would soon be “new infrastructures” including detention centers designed to put an end to such “catch and release” practices.
Though Bush said he was “working with Congress to increase the number of detention facilities along our borders,” Rep. Bennie Thompson, ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee, said he first learned about the KBR contract through newspaper reports.
Fox News recently quoted Pepperdine University professor Doug Kmiec, who deemed detention camp concerns “more paranoia than reality” and added that KBR’s contract is most likely “something related to (Hurricane) Katrina” or “a bird flu outbreak that could spur a mass quarantine of Americans.” The president’s stated desire for the U.S. military to take a more active role during natural disasters and to enforce quarantines in the event of a bird flu outbreak, however, have been roundly denounced.
Concern over an all-powerful federal government is not paranoia, but active citizenship. As Thomas Jefferson explained, “even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” From John Adams’s Alien and Sedition Acts to FDR’s internment of Japanese Americans, the land of the free has held many contradictions and ironies. Interestingly enough, Halliburton was at the center of another historical controversy, when Lyndon Johnson’s ties to a little-known company named Kellogg, Brown and Root caused a congressional commotion—particularly after the Halliburton subsidiary won enough wartime contracts to become one of the first protested symbols of the military-industrial complex. Back then they were known as the “Vietnam builders.” The question, of course, is what they’ll be known as next.

Additional links:
“ Reagan Aides and the Secret Government,” Miami Herald, July 5, 1987, http://fpiarticle.blogspot.com/2005/12/front-page-miami-herald-july-5-1987.html

“Foundations are in place for martial law in the US,” July 27, 2002, Sydney Morning Herald, smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/27/ 1027497418339.html

“Halliburton Deals Recall Vietnam-Era Controversy: Cheney’s Ties to Company Reminiscent of LBJ’s Relationships,” NPR, Dec. 24, 2003, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1569483

“Critics Fear Emergency Centers Could Be Used for Immigration Round-Ups,” Fox News, June 7, 2006, http://www.foxnews.com/ story/0,2933,198456,00.html

“U.S. officials nab 2,100 illegal immigrants in 3 weeks,” USA Today, June 14, 2006, http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-06-14-immigration-arrests_x.htm

PatriotOne
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Homeland Security Contracts for Vast New Detention Camps
News Analysis/Commentary, Peter Dale Scott,
New America Media, Feb 08, 2006

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=eed74d9d44c30493706fe 03f4c9b3a77

Editor's Note: A little-known $385 million contract for Halliburton subsidiary KBR to build detention facilities for "an emergency influx of immigrants" is another step down the Bush administration's road toward martial law, the writer says.

BERKELEY, Calif.--A Halliburton subsidiary has just received a $385 million contract from the Department of Homeland Security to provide "temporary detention and processing capabilities."

The contract -- announced Jan. 24 by the engineering and construction firm KBR -- calls for preparing for "an emergency influx of immigrants, or to support the rapid development of new programs" in the event of other emergencies, such as "a natural disaster." The release offered no details about where Halliburton was to build these facilities, or when.

To date, some newspapers have worried that open-ended provisions in the contract could lead to cost overruns, such as have occurred with KBR in Iraq. A Homeland Security spokesperson has responded that this is a "contingency contract" and that conceivably no centers might be built. But almost no paper so far has discussed the possibility that detention centers could be used to detain American citizens if the Bush administration were to declare martial law.

For those who follow covert government operations abroad and at home, the contract evoked ominous memories of Oliver North's controversial Rex-84 "readiness exercise" in 1984. This called for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to round up and detain 400,000 imaginary "refugees," in the context of "uncontrolled population movements" over the Mexican border into the United States. North's activities raised civil liberties concerns in both Congress and the Justice Department. The concerns persist.

"Almost certainly this is preparation for a roundup after the next 9/11 for Mid-Easterners, Muslims and possibly dissenters," says Daniel Ellsberg, a former military analyst who in 1971 released the Pentagon Papers, the U.S. military's account of its activities in Vietnam. "They've already done this on a smaller scale, with the 'special registration' detentions of immigrant men from Muslim countries, and with Guantanamo."

Plans for detention facilities or camps have a long history, going back to fears in the 1970s of a national uprising by black militants. As Alonzo Chardy reported in the Miami Herald on July 5, 1987, an executive order for continuity of government (COG) had been drafted in 1982 by FEMA head Louis Giuffrida. The order called for "suspension of the Constitution" and "declaration of martial law." The martial law portions of the plan were outlined in a memo by Giuffrida's deputy, John Brinkerhoff.

In 1985, President Reagan signed National Security Decision Directive 188, one of a series of directives that authorized continued planning for COG by a private parallel government.

Two books, James Mann's "Rise of the Vulcans" and James Bamford's "A Pretext for War," have revealed that in the 1980s this parallel structure, operating outside normal government channels, included the then-head of G. D. Searle and Co., Donald Rumsfeld, and then-Congressman from Wyoming Dick Cheney.

After 9/11, new martial law plans began to surface similar to those of FEMA in the 1980s. In January 2002 the Pentagon submitted a proposal for deploying troops on American streets. One month later John Brinkerhoff, the author of the 1982 FEMA memo, published an article arguing for the legality of using U.S. troops for purposes of domestic security.

Then in April 2002, Defense Dept. officials implemented a plan for domestic U.S. military operations by creating a new U.S. Northern Command (CINC-NORTHCOM) for the continental United States. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld called this "the most sweeping set of changes since the unified command system was set up in 1946."

The NORTHCOM commander, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld announced, is responsible for "homeland defense and also serves as head of the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).... He will command U.S. forces that operate within the United States in support of civil authorities. The command will provide civil support not only in response to attacks, but for natural disasters."

John Brinkerhoff later commented on PBS that, "The United States itself is now for the first time since the War of 1812 a theater of war. That means that we should apply, in my view, the same kind of command structure in the United States that we apply in other theaters of war."

Then in response to Hurricane Katrina in Sept. 2005, according to the Washington Post, White House senior adviser Karl Rove told the governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, that she should explore legal options to impose martial law "or as close as we can get." The White House tried vigorously, but ultimately failed, to compel Gov. Blanco to yield control of the state National Guard.

Also in September, NORTHCOM conducted its highly classified Granite Shadow exercise in Washington. As William Arkin reported in the Washington Post, "Granite Shadow is yet another new Top Secret and compartmented operation related to the military's extra-legal powers regarding weapons of mass destruction. It allows for emergency military operations in the United States without civilian supervision or control."

It is clear that the Bush administration is thinking seriously about martial law.
Many critics have alleged that FEMA's spectacular failure to respond to Katrina followed from a deliberate White House policy: of paring back FEMA, and instead strengthening the military for responses to disasters.

A multimillion program for detention facilities will greatly increase NORTHCOM's ability to respond to any domestic disorders.

Scott is author of "Drugs, Oil, and War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia, and Indochina" (Rowman & Littlefield, 2003). He is completing a book on "The Road to 9/11." Visit his Web site .

angelatc
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Here's a thought....jump ahead a little to the election. McCain vs Obama. McCain is declared the winner.

Do you see what I see?

Donna matrix
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
There is only one thing to do. Study the layout of these camps. Find their weak link. When the time comes - exploit it.

INforRP
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM

Here are some links, some videos included:
http://www.greatdreams.com/concentration-camp-locations.htm
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/camps1.htm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=277826260716604258
http://www.rense.com/general17/statebystate.htm

I had a link with some better photos, but can't find it right now.

Bruno
02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
There is only one thing to do. Study the layout of these camps. Find their weak link. When the time comes - exploit it.

I don't think its going to be as easy as that.

PatriotOne
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Here's a thought....jump ahead a little to the election. McCain vs Obama. McCain is declared the winner.

Do you see what I see?

I think I know what you are thinking. People uprising, protests, martial law imposed.

This is the scenario I am most worried about though....

Another false flag attack on America. Bush suspends elections. Major protests by the peeps. Martial Law declared. Yada, yada, yada.

Libertytree
02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I've talked to a couple ex-army guys who have seen and or helped in building these things, from what they say a mole or a groundhog can't get in or out of them. They also spoke of many UN vehicles and state of the art Hummers parked inside the compounds.

Donna matrix
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Nothing is fool proof. And there is always a weak link. It may not be the physical structure - it may be the personnel... I don't know. All I know is this: there is a weak link in the layout and formulation. There always is. Our job is to find it and exploit it. Easy to say - yes. Hard part is actually finding the weak link and then implement a plan to exploit the weak link.

Donna matrix
02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
This will be the main problem: Keeping our heads straight while the shit goes down.

Best way to do that: keep up one's nutrition and exercise in the face of threats and illegal domination. Once "they" get you malnurished and flabby (yeah - like most of the nation right now) they have you in "their" claws. Only strong people can fight back the right way.

Remember Patton: our job is not to die for our country but to get the other guy to die for his.

And this country is getting more and more like somebody else's country.

thuja
02-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm guilty... many times over. Though depending on how things go.. I might just join the DHS to at least be on the side corralling people to their doom, instead of being corralled to mine and my families doom. Sadly, I'd probably do it with some sense of satisfaction too... "haha, I warned you, should have voted for Ron Paul."

These are the criminals in congress responsible for this bill.
Rep. Christopher Carney [D-PA]
Del. Donna Christensen [D-VI]
Rep. Yvette Clarke [D-NY]
Rep. Charles Dent [R-PA]
Rep. Norman Dicks [D-WA]
Rep. Al Green [D-TX]
Rep. James Langevin [D-RI]
Rep. Zoe Lofgren [D-CA]
Rep. Nita Lowey [D-NY]
Rep. Daniel Lungren [R-CA]
Rep. Ed Perlmutter [D-CO]
Rep. Ted Poe [R-TX]
Rep. Dave Reichert [R-WA]
Rep. Bennie Thompson [D-MS]

If you've got one near you, make sure they NEVER get re-elected.
dear evil, your join them idea will not work out for you, as you may want to help out a few, and you will end up in camp yourself. better to keep supporting RP and others like him. or, if you want to join them, run for office .

SteveMartin
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
If RP doesn not win the nomination, we have no choice but to get out--IF we still can...

thuja
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
This will be the main problem: Keeping our heads straight while the shit goes down.

Best way to do that: keep up one's nutrition and exercise in the face of threats and illegal domination. Once "they" get you malnurished and flabby (yeah - like most of the nation right now) they have you in "their" claws. Only strong people can fight back the right way.

Remember Patton: our job is not to die for our country but to get the other guy to die for his.

And this country is getting more and more like somebody else's country.

thanks for this, it's what keeps me from being as worried. i try to keep busy getting and staying in shape, which is good anyway, but will make it less likely to become a victim of anything.

thuja
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
i have called the non toll free numbers of a couple congress people listed above, but no one has an answer, are truly uninformed, or are playing mickey the dunce.
some have homeland security types, but those are out of the offices. hmmm.

thuja
02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
If RP doesn not win the nomination, we have no choice but to get out--IF we still can...

i see this now, me standing in line with my classic car and velvet sofa, dogs on leads and burdened with stainless steel water containers and alfalfa sprouts, waiting for my security xray and such. i think i'll stay and fight. the sofa and car are good barricades.

thuja
02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Here are some links, some videos included:
http://www.greatdreams.com/concentration-camp-locations.htm
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/camps1.htm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=277826260716604258
http://www.rense.com/general17/statebystate.htm

I had a link with some better photos, but can't find it right now.

i saw the first one a couple of years ago, and am unhappy to see it is updated, meaning these probably exist. oh crap.

Peregrin
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Scary stuff.

I scored 25% on the Are You a Terrorist? quiz: "You are not a terrorist. In fact, it is highly likely that you are a socialist, communist, or Democrat. You strongly support the state over, well, everything. You likely do not believe in any individual rights. You scare me."

Wow. Guess I should stop supporting Ron Paul then. :rolleyes:

thuja
02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
i did not get a high score either, except i support animal rights. poor animals, i wonder wen they lost their rights.

also, i think the id card is not for people over 50, so how are they going to identify those? put them in camps?

tstorey
02-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Folks have ignored it or assigned to conspiracy theories.

This is being put together by a small group of men and their lackeys.

Once exposed the lackeys will run.

Keep telling the truth.

Keep telling the truth.

Truth is death to them.

They are terrified of it because when they are exposed they will be facing a judge and a cell block.

The doc has known all of this stuff because he studies the budgets.

March on DC and tell the truth. There are waaay more of us than there are of them.

thuja
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
we do need more truthers and not fewer. the reason some diabolical plans don't come to fruition is because many found out about them first, due to truth tellers.

angelatc
02-21-2008, 12:19 PM
I think I know what you are thinking. People uprising, protests, martial law imposed.

This is the scenario I am most worried about though....

Another false flag attack on America. Bush suspends elections. Major protests by the peeps. Martial Law declared. Yada, yada, yada.

That's not necessarily a different scenario. The media is already saying things implying that Obama will win, "unless there's another terrorist incident" or "unless there's a big international security situation."

They create a "problem," then let the media tell us that McCain has the foreign policy we need.(We''ll also get frequently reminded that Obama's black and perhaps many white people are quietly racist enough not to vote for him.

Then, when McCain wins, it won't be without a good reason or two for the history books.

Donna matrix
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
We need plans and/or maps of these facilities. Anybody in here live near one? Anybody have a list of addresses of where they are? The best case senario (which hardly ever happens) is that these things are posted everywhere on the web and many make hardcopies - so if it should ever come down - we have way of fighting back.

I, for one, would love it if someone out there came and rescued me from one of these camps should I be unfortunate enough to be hauled into one. But, you know, when the Japanese were interned, nobody thought of rescuing them nor did they try to escape. Interesting.

amy31416
02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
http://digg.com/politics/Rule_by_fear_or_rule_by_law_5

PatriotOne
02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
That's not necessarily a different scenario. The media is already saying things implying that Obama will win, "unless there's another terrorist incident" or "unless there's a big international security situation."

They create a "problem," then let the media tell us that McCain has the foreign policy we need.(We''ll also get frequently reminded that Obama's black and perhaps many white people are quietly racist enough not to vote for him.

Then, when McCain wins, it won't be without a good reason or two for the history books.

The biggest difference in our scenario's are that Bush retains the power instead of McCain.

I have contemplated your scenario many times and thought it a possibility....a well timed terrorist attack to scare the peeps into voting for McCain (3rd in probablility on my list of possibilities). The fact that the New York Post is attempting a take down of McCain right now is rather perplexing though. Have the men behind the curtain lost control of their puppets and the election or are they letting them battle it out (no rules!) knowing they have control of all of them (except for RP of course).

For a long time (a couple yrs now) I thought Hillary was the NWO approved President for '08. Things haven't quite gone as planned though because the Bush Admin couldn't pull off bombing Iran (thanks to the whitehats in our CIA and the military whistleblowers about those nukes on those planes they were trying to send to Iran). I am beginning to wonder if they (the men behind the curtain) aren't having to change strategy now to retain a war-mongering Repub in office to give them enough time to complete the invasion/occupation of Iran. But why the takedown of McCain now?

Ugh...this would be really interesting if it wasn't all so scary! We lose either way!

PatriotOne
02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
We need plans and/or maps of these facilities. Anybody in here live near one? Anybody have a list of addresses of where they are? The best case senario (which hardly ever happens) is that these things are posted everywhere on the web and many make hardcopies - so if it should ever come down - we have way of fighting back.

I, for one, would love it if someone out there came and rescued me from one of these camps should I be unfortunate enough to be hauled into one. But, you know, when the Japanese were interned, nobody thought of rescuing them nor did they try to escape. Interesting.

Here's a link to look at. I have no idea of the validity of the locations though. http://www.rense.com/general17/statebystate.htm

In the past I tended to not look to closely at the specifics...it's just been too scary and it was easier hoping for the white knight to ride up on his horse and save us. There still is alot of whitehats working against these people in the background and the worst case scenario is not a foregone conclusion, but people need to be prepared for the worst just in case.

I don't want to scare people and for everyone to stop fighting for Ron Paul, or the Revolution in general, out of fright, but I also feel pretty strongly that people need to know what's at risk. They need to fight smartly to avoid this situation.

LittleLightShining
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
March on DC and tell the truth. There are waaay more of us than there are of them.

This is precisely the reason why I will not March on Washington. Call me what you will, but how convenient it will be for them to not have to come find you. How much more economical and efficient when all the Patriots are herded together already.

Agora
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
h ttp://digg.com/politics/Rule_by_fear_or_rule_by_law_5

dugg

Cinderella
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
ok this thread scared the pants off of me

TruthAtLast
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
http://digg.com/politics/Rule_by_fear_or_rule_by_law_5

dugg

Donna matrix
02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
dugg

This site is not scary... what's up?

kimo
02-22-2008, 01:59 AM
I don't know about the rest of your questions (just because I haven't taken the time to go look) but I do know KBR was awarded contracts to build detention centers (see link below). The original justification was for illegal immigrants but take note of the or "new programs" language.

Since they have been recieving money from the Government to build them since the year 2000 one would assume they are being built. If not, it would really beg the question what they are doing with the money they are receivng if not!

Here's a Haliburton (which KBR is a subsidiary of) announcement about the awarding of the KBR/Detention Center contract:

KBR awarded Homeland Security contract worth up to $385M

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...7662-858254656

HAL 36.45, +0.12, +0.3%) , said Tuesday it has been awarded a contingency contract from the Department of Homeland Security to supports its Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities in the event of an emergency. The maximum total value of the contract is $385 million and consists of a 1-year base period with four 1-year options. KBR held the previous ICE contract from 2000 through 2005. The contract, which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to expand existing ICE Detention and Removal Operations Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs, KBR said. The contract may also provide migrant detention support to other government organizations in the event of an immigration emergency, as well as the development of a plan to react to a national emergency, such as a natural disaster, the company said.

It`s a good point.
History has shown before, that where is prologue to everything.
Some had made more research about this.With pictures and links. Interesting stuff to read.
Here:
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=2661.0

aravoth
02-22-2008, 02:06 AM
This has been in the works for years, years man. Some of those camps were built in the early 80's for christs sake.

aravoth
02-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I made a video that ended with this actually, it's here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl1VIhdpl4c

PatriotOne
02-22-2008, 08:51 AM
This has been in the works for years, years man. Some of those camps were built in the early 80's for christs sake.

Like father, like son. Bush Sr. was VP (effectively President under Reagan) when the Rex-84 program was implemented. Military bases were shut down and turned into detention centers using the same excuse as the current building of more detention centers by KBR now:

The Rex 84 Program was originally established on the reasoning that if a "mass exodus" of illegal aliens crossed the Mexican/US border, they would be quickly rounded up and detained in detention centers by FEMA.

I know you know this Avaroth, but thought I would just clarify your post for those who aren't familiar with Rex-84 back in the 80's.

Libertytree
02-22-2008, 09:02 AM
I reckon the Rex-84 centers were just too few, not large or secure enough? Or to keep the economy strong and people working they gave Haliburton a multi billion contract to build high tech welcome centers. I wonder if the OJ is complimentary?

I've known about this sinse the 80's as well but it still doesn't add up. If you start linking the other actions of the gov then their reasoning makes perfect sense.

Donna matrix
02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
People in the future will wonder why we (the people) didn't do something while we could. Haven't you asked yourself what you would have done in Nazi Germany both if you were a German and if you were a Jew?

Good people can never believe the designs of the evil. It's too much outside our scope of thinking - until it happens.

But all the data seems odd. If they are going to hit the US with some kind of bomb, be it nuclear, biological, or chemical (or worse - some other thing we don't know about)... If they are going to collapse the dollar... If they are going to support Isalm and destroy Christianity... If they are going to tamper with the food supply (like they already haven't)... and restrict or curtail distribution. In any of these scenarios - there won't be a lot of people left. So why the dentention camps? Are they going to clear the land completely? Is that even possible? is it probable?

Anybody out there know game theory? If we treated this as a movie and played the probability game - we could find out their next probable move. But then again - what are "we" to do?

I started law school a couple of years ago - to be able to fight (single-handedly) some of this in court. But I have two years to go and I have to pass the bar before I can do anything. Things seem to be escalating in a hyperbola fashion. Not pretty.

Libertytree
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Do ya really think the data is all that odd? When I look at things cumulatively it seems to make better sense, at least to me, where as several years ago it really didn't seem to add up.

Thought crime legislation.
National service, in a much broader form than ever before imaginable.
Patriot Act 1-2.
Surveilance legislation.
Continued membership in the UN, though it is widely known they are opposed to US sovreignty.
Nafta/Cafta etc...
The willfull and deliberate neglect of immigration law.
Second ammendment attacks, as well as attacks on many/most of our civil rights.

I don't know game theory but the people in the war college sure as hell do and for some reason we seem to have been drawn into the fray of their thinking.

Donna matrix
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
So, LibertyTree, are you going to go to any Republican meetings? I think I am.

Libertytree
02-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm scoping it out now.

angelatc
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
The fact that the New York Post is attempting a take down of McCain right now is rather perplexing though. Have the men behind the curtain lost control of their puppets and the election or are they letting them battle it out (no rules!) knowing they have control of all of them (except for RP of course).

Or is it just designed to make the conservatives feel a twinge of pity for McCain?

Donna matrix
02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I suppose you have a point. I know Rush hates the NYT and was deflecting focus away from McCain. But all of this is just so silly - assuming a person has a few brain cells still working.

I really am dismayed by the lack of logic and foresight of the American people. It's just depressing how easily they are lead around.

PatriotOne
02-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I really am dismayed by the lack of logic and foresight of the American people. It's just depressing how easily they are lead around.

It is depressing and yet I understand why the people have been so easily fooled because I use to be one of them. They have intentionally dumbed us down using the education system and told us lies about our history. The history books are propaganda themselves. They have medicated us through the use of fluoride and other stuff too numerous to mention. They have programmed us through the use of television (they dont call it "programming" for nothing!). The MSM, which most people think are government watchdogs, was hijacked by them a long time ago to promote their agenda or distract us. And the list goes on and on and on. Not too many people had a chance with all the tools in the shed they had access to. Then when a person takes a walk on the real dark side of what these people do (like MK Ultra mind control or their blackmail operations or assasinations), one begins to understand why most people in our Government have been cowed into letting this happen even after they figure it out. They are afraid for their life for one!

This stuff has been planned for centuries and they are making a major move during the Bush admin. That's why some are waking up because it's just gotten so overt. Some just don't know enough that they think the Dems are going to get us out of this mess. Little do they know they are just puppets of the same puppetmaster.

PatriotOne
02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Or is it just designed to make the conservatives feel a twinge of pity for McCain?

Possibly. Though in my analysis, they could tie McCain up and waterboard him on national TV and not garner enough sympathy to get him elected :D.