PDA

View Full Version : Petition To Ask Rp To Run As Independent

meg44
02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I know this might be premature; and I know that RP has said he is first and foremost a Republican. I just finished listening to Lew's Youtube telling everyone to get involved at all levels of the Republican party to "change America". And, I agree, that's a great idea; but let's be realistic.

A) I bet more than half RP supporters are NOT Republicans; never were; never would be.
B) sure you can get involved in the party and they might just ignore you "until" you gain power; then they'll do whatever it takes (using the media and all other means) to oust you. Could we sustain the amount of energy a fight like this would take with someone like McCain or Hillary in office?

C) I think the RP campaign WAY underestimates how unhappy the American people are with the choices the PTB are hellbent of providing us with: McCain, Hilliary or O'Bama. If RP launched himself as an Independent while sitting on the kind of support he currently has garnered; I for one believe he'd have a chance. I see all kinds of people saying, "I don't believe he has a chance as a Rebuplican, he never did...the PTB saw to that; BUT if he ran as an Independent, I'd vote for him."
D) We are at a turning point in world history. I just don't see how RP can decide NOT to run as an Independent claiming he can do more as a Republican in the House. That's crazy. We've got the momentum; I think we can storm this country from here on in...but he has to be in the race.

Perhaps we can influence his decision with a petition. I don't know, maybe I'm grasping at straws; but I'm just sick about his decision not to run as an Independent if he loses the bid for the Republican party.

FrankRep
02-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Looking at the numbers of people voting in the primary, the Democrats are outnumbering the Republican voters about 4 to 1.

The Republicans have no chance of winning in the general election. This will be the best time for a third party run.

EndTheFed
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
+ Agreed

FreeStater
02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
there already is a petition or two:

http://thirdpartywatch.com/2008/02/15/two-petitions-for-ron-paul-to-run-as-a-libertarian/

thuja
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Looking at the numbers of people voting in the primary, the Democrats are outnumbering the Republican voters about 4 to 1.

The Republicans have no chance of winning in the general election. This will be the best time for a third party run.

this is what worries me.

kathy88
02-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I think we should all just continue to do what we are doing. Make people aware, talk about Ron, grassroots efforts, get items in local newspapers, collect to get ads on in your area EVEN WHERE THE PRIMARIES ARE OVER - I think this is SO important.... etc....

And let the "politicians" eat each other, with the MSM cleaning up their shit after they are digested.

acptulsa
02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Don't waste your time. It will not help our cause to have Dr. Paul say anything prior to the convention about it. Your average Republican will swallow hemlock if you sugar-coat it sufficiently, but will be stubborn as an ass about eating chocolate if you try to force it on him. If you want to spend your effort on petitions, get a petition in place this summer to get Dr. Paul's name on your state's ballot in November. This will not only send the message to the Republican Party that you want to send, it will make them listen because it actually has power behind it. It will allow Dr. Paul to negotiate in the convention with the added bargaining chip of our Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads--and Dr. Paul can't even be blamed or resented for it, because he didn't call for it. And, as we saw in 1957, if drafted into the service of his nation, Dr. Paul will answer the call.

He can't ask for this. He can't back this. It would "spoil the cream" in his negotiations with the Republican power brokers. So, I am asking for this. I am backing this. And though my state has one of the toughest requirements for getting a name on the ballot, I will be doing this this summer.

Make sense to you?

freelance
02-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Don't waste your time. It will not help our cause to have Dr. Paul say anything prior to the convention about it. Your average Republican will swallow hemlock if you sugar-coat it sufficiently, but will be stubborn as an ass about eating chocolate if you try to force it on him. If you want to spend your effort on petitions, get a petition in place this summer to get Dr. Paul's name on your state's ballot in November. This will not only send the message to the Republican Party that you want to send, it will make them listen because it actually has power behind it. It will allow Dr. Paul to negotiate in the convention with the added bargaining chip of our Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads--and Dr. Paul can't even be blamed or resented for it, because he didn't call for it. And, as we saw in 1957, if drafted into the service of his nation, Dr. Paul will answer the call.

He can't ask for this. He can't back this. It would "spoil the cream" in his negotiations with the Republican power brokers. So, I am asking for this. I am backing this. And though my state has one of the toughest requirements for getting a name on the ballot, I will be doing this this summer.

Make sense to you?

If nothing more, it will freak out the Republicrats, and that's priceless. I like it, AS LONG AS the campaign distances itself from the effort (which they will). There is plenty of dirt on McCain and Obama. RP is the only clean candidate, and both sides know it. That's part of the reason they will freak out--because of the damage that attack ads from the RP supporters would do. They know that we have talent and they know that we can raise money, so it's a given that we'll slam one or more candidates if we actually get ballot access.

We can talk third-party all day long. TPTB have decided that RP isn't serious about it, but if the supporters actually get him on ballots from coast to coast, that's another story, because then it goes from a pipe dream to an option. They know that a third-party run could wreak havoc with their plans, especially if they lose control of the economy before November or if one of the selected candidates drops out due to a macaca moment or a scandal.

Anything to upset the apple cart is just dandy with me.

FrankRep
02-21-2008, 09:15 AM
The Libertarian Party

http://www.LP.org

trapfive
02-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Remember when Ross Perot ran and became a viable candidate in a third party?

Remember the reason he gave for easing up and dropping out?

Remember how he was labeled a "kook"?