PDA

View Full Version : Meet the candidates: Ron Paul (Bulletin Review, Denison, Iowa)

smtwngrl
08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18699801&BRD=2703&PAG=461&dept_id=555123&rfi=6

Meet the candidates: Ron Paul
By Gordon Wolf
08/14/2007

While in Denison on Tuesday speaking at Cronk's Cafe, Congressman Ron Paul of Texas, a Republican candidate for president, spoke about his plan to strengthen the economy.

"What you have to do is get the government out of the way because we're over-taxed and over-regulated. That's why our businesses go overseas and our jobs leave us," Paul stated.

He said the government has to restore sound money, not by printing more currency, but by balancing the budget, cutting back on spending and getting rid of the regulations.

"That is a big, big job. You can't do that overnight," Paul stated. "But you can at least move in that direction, instead of always moving in the opposite direction.

"If we had favorable tax conditions and regulatory conditions, maybe some of our companies would build here, but they don't."

Paul said the government should do away with incentives that allow corporations to go overseas.

"Even our foreign aid is tied to corporations. Right now we're proposing a $50 billion program to provide weapons to the Middle East, like they need more weapons," he stated. "But that money will go to the military industrial complex here. That's a false allocation of resources. Instead of the money being loaned out on market conditions, the money is dragged out of the economy and goes into a weapon that goes overseas, and it makes us poorer. If that money is left here, and small businesses and others borrow it, it would help our economy here."

Paul said he is concerned about the amount of money that the United States is borrowing from China and other countries per day. He said the current account deficit is between $2.5 and $3 billion a day.

"It's not all from China, but they are the biggest lenders. Japan and Saudi Arabia are also involved in lending," he stated.

Paul continued, "If they wouldn't loan it to us, interest rates would skyrocket. And right now they own so much of our debt, they don't want to destroy the dollar either. So they keep loaning it to us, but someday there'll be something that will get it out of control. Then you could have a run-away destruction of the dollar."

Paul also spoke about the national debt, listing it at $9 trillion.

"That's a big problem, but it's not as big as all the commitments we've made for future generations. That's up to about $60 trillion," he stated. "We can't deal with it unless the American people agree with their leaders as well as Congress, in changing in what we think government ought to be doing."

Paul said the United States can't maintain the belief that it can police the world, help build nations and promise everybody anything they ask for and be strong financially.

"We have to come to our senses, and my argument is let's come to our senses before we have a financial crisis, because it will come," he stated.

Paul continued he wants to get rid of the income tax and not replace it with anything, and cut spending.

"If you have a proper-sized government, you won't need an income tax. We didn't have one before 1913," he explained. "If we cut back on some of these expenditures overseas, we literally could help many of these programs here at home and cut the deficit. Cutting the deficit will actually shrink the national debt, but it's the overall entitlement obligation that is probably the biggest burden we face."

Paul said he wants U.S. troops to come home as quickly as possible from Iraq.

"You can't do it in days or weeks, but you could bring our troops and equipment home and let the world know that our policies have changed," he stated. "You could turn the Navy around immediately, from aggravating the situation with Iran. At least move the Navy back and say we're going to change our policy. I think it would go a long ways toward softening all this hostile talk between our nations."

Paul said he is concerned about the stability of Iraq once the U.S. troops are withdrawn.

"But I'm more concerned about the moral obligation we have to our troops and our taxpayers, and that our policies are perpetuating a greater danger to us," he said. "The longer we're there, the more Al Qaeda there are. The policy has to change.

"Vietnam was never as bad as what they said it would be when the U.S. troops withdrew. The people who say it's going to be so bad in Iraq are the ones who said it would be a 'slam dunk' operation," Paul added.

Paul also talked about the moral decline of American society.

He said the rebuilding of society can't be government's role, although he agreed government does things to hinder the strengthening of society.

"I think the government encourages debt accumulation and the idea that people will be taken care of detract from self-reliance," he said.

"Our country started doing abortions before the law was changed. Then the law was changed. It was the moral decay that led to the legalization of abortion," Paul continued.

He said ideas and prevailing attitudes are very important, and that there is a limit to what any individual can do.

"Sometimes you get the government you opt for," Paul stated. "That's why I want to make the optimistic point that I sense a change where even these young people are not nearly as cynical and driven as they were in the 1960s, because we did have a drug culture, violence and assassinations then. Domestically, we had worse trouble then."

On the subject of immigration, Paul said he favors no amnesty, no birth-right citizenship and no compulsion on the states to provide benefits. Paul added he is in favor of more border guards.

Paul said is not in favor of a fence along the border by itself.

"I don't think it's necessary and don't think it will work," he stated.

Paul added there was a bill that contained many reforms, which he supported, but said that was more or less a case of being in a terrible position to either not improve things at all or vote for the fence. But he said he de-emphasizes the fence.

Mr. White
08-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Well written. I'm against any 'news' item that contains more conjecture than quotes.

quickmike
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Yet the "conservatives" voted for Mitt.............. how messed up is that? If I want to continue to have any faith in the human race, I must believe that those people that voted for Mitt Romney just did it for the free shit they got at the straw poll, but will actually vote for someone else come election time. I mean, if it was Huckabee or even Tancredo, I could understand it at least a little. Has the whole GOP voting block in Iowa gone insane, voting for the 2nd most liberal candidate besides Ghoulliani? I hope my first explanation was the correct one, or were ALL screwed.

smtwngrl
08-14-2007, 07:52 PM
This article is from an appearance of Ron Paul *today* in Iowa. The education of Iowans is just beginning.

And I have heard a lot about people at the Straw Poll who voted for other candidates because they were bussed in by those candidates--but who liked Ron Paul and were going to be checking into him more.

robatsu
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
This is certainly one of the better articles I've read about RP and both the message and the method of delivery are ones that are a good model for winning converts. No conspiracy, no illuminati, no fringe, just some guy just discussing how US has slouched our way into bad policies and our better natures suggest we should try to get back to good policies.

quickmike
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
This article is from an appearance of Ron Paul *today* in Iowa. The education of Iowans is just beginning.

And I have heard a lot about people at the Straw Poll who voted for other candidates because they were bussed in by those candidates--but who liked Ron Paul and were going to be checking into him more.

where did you hear this? That sounds great to me, but I was just wonering if this is something you heard first hand from lots of people or just something someone told you. Just curious.

You gotta understand, everyones been saying alot of stuff thats not true and it only gives a false sense of security when we should actually be working harder than ever to get the message out. If that statement of yours is true though............. AWESOME:D

smtwngrl
08-14-2007, 11:08 PM
where did you hear this? That sounds great to me, but I was just wonering if this is something you heard first hand from lots of people or just something someone told you. Just curious.

You gotta understand, everyones been saying alot of stuff thats not true and it only gives a false sense of security when we should actually be working harder than ever to get the message out. If that statement of yours is true though............. AWESOME:D

I have heard it first hand and secondhand---not "firsthand from lots of people", but firsthand from a few people.

Dustancostine
08-14-2007, 11:18 PM
While handing out the literature I had the experience first hand many times. I was also sure to take extra time with the T. Thompson voters knowing that he would be dropping out. Most of his supporters were elderly and need help with directions and such.

A lot of people at the straw poll while having already made up their mind for the straw poll had not made up their mind for the general. Also a lot of Mitt supporters said they were supporting him because he had money, and that we needed a candidate with a lot of money to beat Hillary. These people will soon come around to supporting someone else. We have to make sure that person is Ron Paul. At the announcement of the totals you could tell a lot of supporters for other candidates wished they were apart of something that had as much energy as the RP supporters. If Tancredo backs out before the Caucus, I think we will get a majority of his supporters. If we can't reach the majority of the Church vote (which means getting to the church leaders) then we better hope Brownback and Huckabee both stayin.

--Dustan

--Dustan

billv
08-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Yet the "conservatives" voted for Mitt.............. how messed up is that? If I want to continue to have any faith in the human race, I must believe that those people that voted for Mitt Romney just did it for the free shit they got at the straw poll, but will actually vote for someone else come election time. I mean, if it was Huckabee or even Tancredo, I could understand it at least a little. Has the whole GOP voting block in Iowa gone insane, voting for the 2nd most liberal candidate besides Ghoulliani? I hope my first explanation was the correct one, or were ALL screwed.

I would have voted for Mitt too if he offered free beer =), lol

billv
08-15-2007, 12:21 AM
While handing out the literature I had the experience first hand many times. I was also sure to take extra time with the T. Thompson voters knowing that he would be dropping out. Most of his supporters were elderly and need help with directions and such.

A lot of people at the straw poll while having already made up their mind for the straw poll had not made up their mind for the general. Also a lot of Mitt supporters said they were supporting him because he had money, and that we needed a candidate with a lot of money to beat Hillary. These people will soon come around to supporting someone else. We have to make sure that person is Ron Paul. At the announcement of the totals you could tell a lot of supporters for other candidates wished they were apart of something that had as much energy as the RP supporters. If Tancredo backs out before the Caucus, I think we will get a majority of his supporters. If we can't reach the majority of the Church vote (which means getting to the church leaders) then we better hope Brownback and Huckabee both stayin.

--Dustan

--Dustan

Church leaders won't say anything because they are afraid of losing their tax exempt status.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-15-2007, 12:28 AM
How about we leave it to states to defend their borders? Each state would have a different immigration policy.

billv
08-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Interesting idea, but then a state with a tough border policy would have to police its state to state borders as well if they are next to a state with a weak border policy.

bygone
08-15-2007, 01:56 AM
How about we leave it to states to defend their borders? Each state would have a different immigration policy.

Think harder about this idea, lol.

Slugg
08-15-2007, 02:09 AM

I agree, they probably had no idea what they were really voting for. But the fact that Huckabee and tancredo and paul (and even Thompson) are all 'at the top lead me to believe that the voters are looking for a real conservative, and not just a pandering warmonger.

If you add up all the conservative votes, they more than double the amount of votes for 'real' neo-cons.

Dustancostine
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Church leaders won't say anything because they are afraid of losing their tax exempt status.

When I say Church leaders, I don't necessarily mean preaching while on the pulpit. They are usually pretty networked within the church. I know where I am from, Churches are very political and are usually run by people other than the pastor. These people are free to talk.