PDA

View Full Version : Why is Bush submitting a brief to the Supreme Court in favor of gun control?

Truth-Bringer
02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
More Pressure Needed To Convince Bush To Withdraw Brief

The Bush administration has continued veering toward gun control. You know it is bad when The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence salutes the administration's support for gun control.

Why would anti-gunners praise the Bush administration? For one, signing the first gun control legislation in over a decade, the Veterans Disarmament Act (H.R. 2640). For another, the very anti-gun brief the Solicitor General (the Justice Department's lawyer) filed in the DC gun ban case, D.C. v. Heller.

As you know, Rep. Virgil Goode is rounding up other members of the U.S. House of Representatives to join with him on his letter to the President asking him to withdraw that brief.

Gun Owners of America has taken the lead in building public awareness of the Solicitor General's action, and the need to urge all members of Congress to support Rep. Goode's efforts.

We know it is imperative for the NRA to encourage their members to weigh in with their representatives on behalf of Rep. Goode.

Rest of Article Here (http://www.gunowners.org/a012508.htm)

maeqFREEDOMfree
02-21-2008, 07:14 AM
good ole george doubya... and he's supposed to be conservative?

wv@SC
02-21-2008, 07:27 AM
C'mon guys, he's the most unconstitutional president since Abraham Lincoln. Of course he's going to promote gun control. All the while promising more money and medicine to African nations that have doodly-squat to do with us.

Shellshock1918
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
He's not really pro-gun.

FreeTraveler
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Because he's a tyrant that makes King George the First look sane, and he has ample reason to fear an armed populace. The only surprise to me is that people are surprised.

Inflation
02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Dear George W,

Thanks for helping keep the perfect storm of conditions that feed the RevolUTION going.
Please continue to help conditions ripen for RevolUTION. Let's have a Draft For Iran!

Sincerely,
Ron Paul's Army

IPSecure
02-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Why is Bush submitting a brief to the Supreme Court in favor of gun control?

Because he is not done destroying America! Soon...

NMCB3
02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Because now that he`s on his way out, he figures its a good time to fuck over the gun owners who got him elected in the first place. Plus the 2nd Amendment is the only part of the Bill of Rights that he hasn`t thrashed yet. Oh yea, and because he can.

Tugboat1988
02-21-2008, 09:44 PM
What it boils down to is an effort to undermine the Bill of Rights which, in turn, undermines the Constitution.

But, you should ask, what's so bad about that? Well, the Bill of Rights is a document that regulates government. As a matter of fact, the 2nd Amendment is a denial of power. "...are declaratory and restrictive clauses, ...in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its (governments) powers...." The 1st Amendment tells it all in its first six words; "Congress shall make no law respecting...."

Well, what about that! Bush doesn't want a denial of power that might limit his efforts to make you safe, like, errr, guarding our border against terrorists, gangs and other pirates from crossing. He's from the government and he's here to help you. Barf.

Here's a hot link to the Briefs filed with the Supreme Court. The best ones are Gun Owners of America and Members of Congress. The others, including the GOA, NRA, Second Amendment Foundation and probably others, asks to keep all those common sense federal laws that violate the Bill of Rights.

Tugboat

ItsTime
02-21-2008, 09:57 PM
because he hates montana and does not want them in the union anymore?

Truth-Bringer
02-23-2008, 07:41 AM
C'mon guys, he's the most unconstitutional president since Abraham Lincoln.

Yes, he's pretty bad isn't he. And I know most people on this forum know that. I was using that title on other forums though - spreading this around the internet, and that's why I didn't change it.

hairball
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Uh, 'cuse me for injecting a bit of resoning and logic into this little screech session, but have any of you actually READ the brief, or are you guys so in hate of GW you are willing to grasp at ANY cause that may reinforce your disgust with GW.

The brief is not nearly as nefarious as you would belief. I read it, and it is not as onerous as one would be lead to believe. For those of you that excoriate GW of gun rights, remmeber that the AWB sun-setted under his watch, in spite of the protests of the Sarah brady freaks.

We have had many presidents far worse than GW. We have worse than Lincoln, though few of those.

If we are t be heard, we have to be factual and not so shrill.

Sandra
02-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Uh, 'cuse me for injecting a bit of resoning and logic into this little screech session, but have any of you actually READ the brief, or are you guys so in hate of GW you are willing to grasp at ANY cause that may reinforce your disgust with GW.

The brief is not nearly as nefarious as you would belief. I read it, and it is not as onerous as one would be lead to believe. For those of you that excoriate GW of gun rights, remmeber that the AWB sun-setted under his watch, in spite of the protests of the Sarah brady freaks.

We have had many presidents far worse than GW. We have worse than Lincoln, though few of those.

I've read it. It's pretty damaging to gun rights!

coastie
02-24-2008, 10:30 AM

I think you need to read it again.....

Highland
02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Dear George W,

Thanks for helping keep the perfect storm of conditions that feed the RevolUTION going.
Please continue to help conditions ripen for RevolUTION. Let's have a Draft For Iran!

Sincerely,
Ron Paul's Army

THIS IS THE BEST QUOTE I HAVE EVER READ IN THIS FORUM!!!!! GREAT ATTITUDE:)

Sandra
02-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Agreed, Here's the pdf:
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/07-290tsacUnitedStates.pdf

Truth-Bringer
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
The brief is not nearly as nefarious as you would belief.

How about the Patriot Act and Real ID. Are those good too? I judge this President by the collectivist/statist crap he continuously tries to turn into law. I judge him by his actions, and his actions involving gun rights leave a lot to be desired:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=122767

Primbs
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Here is a brief filed by Gun Owners of America.

http://www.gunowners.org/fs0802.pdf

jmdrake
02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
This is nothing new. Back in 2005 the Bush administration filed a brief in favor of an interpretation of a bizarre interpretation of the law such that a conviction in any kangaroo court in any country would strip you of your gun rights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/27/politics/27scotus.html?fta=y

Regards,

John M. Drake