PDA

View Full Version : Holy sh** GWB just hit an unbelievable milestone today..ARG polls 19% overall appr

Dave Wood
02-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Worse than Watergate: Bush scores lowest presidential approval rating EVER!

The 2008 presidential race must be an incredibly welcome development for President Bush and his White House. That's because the American body politic can only really focus on one thing at a time, and so there's little time for anything else aside from the madcap antics of of Gilligan, the Skipper, the Millionaire and his wife, the Movie Star, the Professor and Mary Ann...and the rest. Some liberal blogs and right-wing talk radio are lined up in circular firing squads, and the op-ed columnists have trained their fire on Hillary's lonely teardrops or Barack's Church of the Poison Mind.

While no one was looking, the economy nosedived, gas prices have soared, the war in Iraq is as unpopular as ever and Osama bin Laden is still on the loose. And so while none of us were paying attention, our 43rd president just hit a major milestone.

George W. Bush is now the most unpopular president in recorded American history. (h/t Atrios)

Worse than Richard Nixon in the days before he resigned in disgrace during Watergate, worse than Jimmy Carter during the Iran hostage crisis, much worse than Bill Clinton when he was impeached. Just as Roger Bannister raced through what once seemed the unreachable 4-minute mile, Bush has burst through a barrier once also thought impossible, below the 20-percent mark.

Check this out:

George W. Bush's overall job approval rating has dropped to a new low in American Research Group polling as 78% of Americans say that the national economy is getting worse according to the latest survey from the American Research Group.

Among all Americans, 19% approve of the way Bush is handling his job as president and 77% disapprove. When it comes to Bush's handling of the economy, 14% approve and 79% disapprove.

Among Americans registered to vote, 18% approve of the way Bush is handling his job as president and 78% disapprove.

That is just mind-blowing. How does it compare to other presidents? There's no comparison.

Nixon, as he was hounded out of office in August 1974, never dipped below the mid-20s.

Here's a pretty good compilation of poll numbers from Roper. To summarize the highlights:

Clinton low: 36 percent, May 1993 (early missteps like Zoe Baird)

George H.W. Bush low: 29 percent, August 1992 (recession)

Reagan low: 35 percent, January 1983 (recession)

Carter low: 28 percent, July 1979 (high gas prices)

Ford low: 37 percent, January 1975 (economy, Nixon pardon)

Nixon low: 23 percent, January 1974 (Watergate)

Johnson low: 35 percent, August 1968 (Vietnam)

Lowest ever? That would be Harry Truman during the Korean War, in February 1952, at 22 percent.

And so now George W. Bush has shattered a record that has stood for 55 long years, and there's not any one reason. It's everything, although I suspect that liberals would more likely say Iraq and torture, conservatives would say immigration and runaway spending, and everyone would now say the economy.

It takes more than unpopularity to become the worst president ever, but this may be the straw that broke the camel's back on that front. It should remind us all what the 2008 election is all about, and it's not about Hillary's wardrobe or an off-the-cuff remark or who is the Second Coming of Ronald Reagan.

It's only about who can undo the damage of the last eight years. It's amazing so many people wanted such a difficult task.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested: http://www.attytood.com/2008/02/worse_than_watergate_bush_scor_1.html

mjp1025
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
My sincere congrats to King George!!!

Jeremy
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
The fact is though.... there have been much worse presidents in the past.

linusPAULing
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
And yet so many of them vote for McCain.... it boggles the mind.

Dave Wood
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Has this man single handedly destroyed what was left of the Republican brand?

I feel sick.

hawks4ronpaul
02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
It would be interesting if someone started a campaign to get Bush to 0% approval before he leaves office.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Mystile
02-20-2008, 07:12 PM
worse than Jimmy Carter during the Iran hostage crisis,

Actually, I always thought his approval ratings went up. Americans tend to love their leaders when they make huge fuck-ups. Hell, George Bush has the HIGHEST approval rating ever after 9/11, closely followed by Pearl Harbor for Roosevelt. And we all know the pathetic performance both of them put up in attempting to prevent such events.

Dave Wood
02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Should we be touting this from this highest mountain or cowering in darkness? I am confused.

How do you present this evidence to the GOP establishment w/o putting them on defense? Ron Paul is a REPUBLICAN....get it! This is what Republicans are (used to be) all about. America used to have two very distinct choices for leadership.

Are we dead in the water because of the current com in chief? No wonder every Tom, Dick, Harriet are flocking to an unknown like Obama.....they probably think "how could he be any worse"

We need real Republican leadership RIGHT NOW before its too late. Sad

Wyurm
02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Actually, I always thought his approval ratings went up. Americans tend to love their leaders when they make huge fuck-ups. Hell, George Bush has the HIGHEST approval rating ever after 9/11, closely followed by Pearl Harbor for Roosevelt. And we all know the pathetic performance both of them put up in attempting to prevent such events.

it appears unpatriotic to disapprove a president just after an attack.

nate895
02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey, at least he broke a record.

ItsTime
02-20-2008, 07:24 PM
that was the plan....

Has this man single handedly destroyed what was left of the Republican brand?

I feel sick.

Mystile
02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
it appears unpatriotic to disapprove a president just after an attack.

screw that, they let it happen!

I forgot to mention that approval ratings have also skyrocketed after imperialist adventures such as the Gulf War, the Iraq War, and NUKING THE SHIT OUT OF JAPAN.

PatriotOne
02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Among all Americans, 19% approve of the way Bush is handling his job as president

19% approve? They must be polling people in coma's to even get that,

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Someone else put it on d1gg:

ht tp://di gg.com/politics/George_W_Bushtard_s_Overall_Job_Approval_to_New_Lo w_19

2 breaks in there.

humanic
02-21-2008, 02:07 AM
He was able to solve this "falling approval rating" problem before.

"A plan to hijack aircrafts and fly them into buildings! How could anyone have seen that coming! Approve of me! Thank you!"

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2005/04/25/GR2005042500945.gif

libertythor
02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Well he wasn't doing that bad approval-wise before Sept 11th. This has to the the most idiotic president we have had.

He was able to solve this "low approval rating" problem before.

"A plan to hijack aircrafts and fly them into buildings! How could anyone have seen that coming! Approve of me! Thank you!"

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2005/04/25/GR2005042500945.gif

humanic
02-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Well he wasn't doing that bad approval-wise before Sept 11th. This has to the the most idiotic president we have had.

True enough. I suppose I should have said he was able to solve this falling approval rating problem before. Fixed.

nodope0695
02-21-2008, 03:16 AM

Name one president that has been worse for America than GWB. The only one I could name is Lincoln. GWB has in seven years taken America to the brink of fascism, tyranny, and bankruptsy. The actions of his administration are like those of King George of England before the first American Revolution, and Adolf Hitler's during the 1930's. GWB is a terrible man, a terrible leader, and IMHO, THE worst president to ever ocupy the oval office. Jan 3, 2009 will be a great day for America, no matter who gets elected.

However, its a sad fact is that, with the exception of Ron Paul, whoever wins in November will not do much to change what Bush has done, I can only hope he (or she) doesn't make things worse.

Working Poor
02-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Things are going to get worse no matter who gets in office. This economy will have to reach a "bottom" before it can rise back up. The consequences of this countries over spending are starting to manifest now.

Even Ron Paul would have to face this disaster and not try to run from it if he were to get elected. The next President will most likely be made a scape-goat by the public.

Ron Paul has put some excellent ideas out there I can see and hear his ideas being spoken and acted upon even now. If nothing else Ron Paul has raised the awareness and that is a good thing because no problem ever gets solved in the dark. God bless him for that.

Eric21ND
02-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Imagine the sugar content of the kool-aid that those 19% are still drinking.

acptulsa
02-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Should we be touting this from this highest mountain or cowering in darkness? I am confused.

How do you present this evidence to the GOP establishment w/o putting them on defense? Ron Paul is a REPUBLICAN....get it! This is what Republicans are (used to be) all about. America used to have two very distinct choices for leadership.

Are we dead in the water because of the current com in chief? No wonder every Tom, Dick, Harriet are flocking to an unknown like Obama.....they probably think "how could he be any worse"

We need real Republican leadership RIGHT NOW before its too late. Sad

We need to remind them that W endorsed McCain and refused to acknowledge Ron Paul exists. Then ask, Are we still following his lead or are we smarter than that now?

Truth-Bringer
02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
It would be interesting if someone started a campaign to get Bush to 0% approval before he leaves office.

ROTFL!

Aratus
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
the 19% approval rating now hints at why Jeb did not run this year...???

was there a consensus in the top eschelons of the party that
they run an interum candidate who looks good, sounds nice and
is happily mainstream centrist to the degree that a democrat
does indeed win in november yet not abysmally landslide???

there was a faction who did place their eggs in mitt romney's basket...
huckabee's wins weren't in someone's scenario. he's run a campaign
that seems like an elongated version of what he did to become a governor.
this all implies that the republican party is at a crossroads. the next
election is going to be even more intense ESPECIALLY if obama nudges
aside the clinton machine. i assume newt gingrich would think about
bringing back grid-lock should it be hillary going the total distance.
ron paul, obama and huckabee are still in the race due to their outsider
status. obama and huckabee are the two youngest candidates.

september 11th did not have people springboarding forward into public
office. indeed g.w bush BRIEFLY had astronomically high approval ratings,
and there is a political capital he seems to have squandered if he now has
only 19% approval points. we have to ask why its huckabee insted of guiliani
now, hanging in there hoping for at least 800 or 900 delegates come the convention!
jeb bush didn't dare run, and both w.j clinton and g.w bush may have an equal
degree of blame for our lack of insight or vision concerning the pre-september 12th
politics we saw on the world stage. i say split this all down the middle. the voters
are not so intense about either the name "bush" or "clinton" because we KNOW we
have only been told half-truths at best, and we are not being told what exactly happened...

weslinder
02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Name one president that has been worse for America than GWB.

Johnson and Roosevelt. Yeah, that's it.

jason43
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Now the real question is how to shake those pesky 19%... I mean those people are pretty much people who are related to him.

I think the only thing he can do to increase his approval ratings is resign and let Cheney make him look like a 'moderate'.

klamath
02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I think Wilson gets let off the hook. If you look a the overall effect of WWI and what all it got us involved in I would have to say Wilson rates pretty high on the worst list.

stilltrying
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I think Wilson gets let off the hook. If you look a the overall effect of WWI and what all it got us involved in I would have to say Wilson rates pretty high on the worst list.

I say Wilson (House) as well because he is the one that facilitated the Federal Reserve. Everything wrong with this country today stems from the FED. No money no games. Wilson himself even stated that he may have knowingly ruined this country. I dont remember the exact quote but it was along that line.

Kade
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM

No. There haven't been. Nixon is the closest...

Kludge
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
No. There haven't been. Nixon is the closest...

Jimmy Carter... FDR... Woodrow Wilson...

Kade
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Jimmy Carter... FDR... Woodrow Wilson...

You people love to hate FDR... It takes many years of studying the man and the time period to come to a blatant disagreement.. I do not think FDR was a bad president, by any means.

familydog
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
You people love to hate FDR... It takes many years of studying the man and the time period to come to a blatant disagreement.. I do not think FDR was a bad president, by any means.

Have you studied the man many years to make that judgement?

As a Ron Paul supporter it seems odd for me to agree with Paul's policies at the same time not thinking FDR was a bad president.

JSutter
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM

I think we should put Bush in charge, that's one task he might be effective at.

ChooseLiberty
02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
And now the Amerikan sheep want another one just like Bush.

AND Wilson sold out the US in a big way. Almost as bad as Bush and Lincoln.