PDA

View Full Version : Education in Finland. How Ron Paul would Respond

Mordan
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Hello,

I had a discussion with an uncle about the Education. Should it be public or private like Ron Paul advocates.

He points out to the success of public education in Finland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Finland

It is difficult to argue against a successful public education system.

With a private system? What happens to the child whose parents die? In general, children who don't have the opportuinity to get good education.

just doing my job of questioning.

orafi
02-20-2008, 05:38 PM
In a free market society, we can have both public and private education. They can coexist. Ron Paul doesn't advocate a complete privatization.... just eliminating the Board of Education (the board of turning our kids into vegetables) and lifting all the hassles a private school/home schooler has to go through.

There's never anything wrong with alternatives and that's what Ron Paul advocates.

nate895
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
I like school vouchers. It gives choice and access to everyone while forcing state schools to compete.

orafi
02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I like school vouchers. It gives choice and access to everyone while forcing state schools to compete.

Thus we get teachers who have no choice but to actually .... try.

GASP!

Kludge
02-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I prefer complete privatization. Low taxes encourage charities to form up. Charities are incredibly efficient because they care about the money and the people ;).

As for teachers trying, I went to a public school and most of my teachers were AMAZING! I had four life-changing teachers that led me to become what I am. However, some teachers did, in fact, just seem to exist.

"Read this. Do this worksheet. Test Friday. Don't come bitching to me if your scores are low because you weren't studying."

That's how I'd do it but... That's why I'm not a teacher.

nate895
02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I prefer complete privatization. Low taxes encourage charities to form up. Charities are incredibly efficient because they care about the money and the people ;).

As for teachers trying, I went to a public school and most of my teachers were AMAZING! I had four life-changing teachers that led me to become what I am. However, some teachers did, in fact, just seem to exist.

"Read this. Do this worksheet. Test Friday. Don't come bitching to me if your scores are low because you weren't studying."

That's how I'd do it but... That's why I'm not a teacher.

Well, I have one good teacher every year, and at least one totally crazy out one, mostly two, though. The rest are just there, neither good nor bad, just there.