PDA

View Full Version : What exactly happens if McCain gets 1,191 delegates?

Join The Paul Side
02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Does everything come to a halt and he gets an automatic bid? Or will there be a vote at the convention no matter if he passes 1,191 or not? Thanks. :cool:

kirkblitz
02-20-2008, 03:39 PM
i think theres a vote no matter what

AFM
02-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe everything continues because no one knows for sure how the delegates are going to vote.

TXcarlosTX
02-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Does everything come to a halt and he gets an automatic bid? Or will there be a vote at the convention no matter if he passes 1,191 or not? Thanks. :cool:

he doesn't get them until they vote at the convention. what the press reports are estimated based on popular vote and winner take all states

nullvalu
Hmm.. So what, then, is the significance of 1,191 delegates? He needs to get 1,191 delegate votes at the national convention?

acptulsa
There will be a vote no matter what. If 1,191 delegates are bound to McCain at the time of the first round of voting, McCain wins and all the delegates we worked so hard to put in place can do nothing but follow the rules, hold their noses and nominate the piece of scum. We must fight him over every remaining step of the way! He must be stopped!

WilliamC
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
My (limited) understanding is that the delegate counts reported by the MSM based on the results of the primaries and caucuses assume that 100% of the delegates will vote based on the popular vote in their State.

Somehow I think reality is a little more complicated than that.

I think that if no one has a clear majority then there will be a brokered convention and many delegates will be more able to vote their conscious, not their State's Republican Party mandate.

acptulsa
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Rules vary by state. Some delegates aren't unbound until their candidate drops out. Some are unbound after one, two or three rounds of voting fail to produce a nominee. And et cetera. Nonetheless, all bound delegates have some way or another of becoming unbound. At that point, they can vote for the best interests of the party and the nation.

MikeStanart
02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran

http://www.immediart.com/catalog/images/big_images/SPL_R_T165126-Atomic_bomb_explosion-SPL.jpg

-lotus-
02-20-2008, 04:22 PM
theres no way he will win in the first round of voting. i would pretty much wager anything on that

Join The Paul Side
02-20-2008, 04:27 PM
OK, so since there is a vote at the convention no matter what, then why doesn't the MSM get off this guys dick for a minute? It baffles me that they act like this is all locked up for Juan McCain. I saw Huck interviewed today on CNN and the dumb wench giving the interview asked him why he wouldn't drop out. Is the MSM affraid of what may happen at a brokered convention? Do they want Ron and Huck to drop out so their tool McCain can win unopposed? Thanks. :cool:

dirknb@hotmail.com
02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Is the MSM affraid of what may happen at a brokered convention? Do they want Ron and Huck to drop out so their tool McCain can win unopposed? Thanks. :cool:

Yes, and yes.

nbhadja
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
There will be a vote no matter what. If 1,191 delegates are bound to McCain at the time of the first round of voting, McCain wins and all the delegates we worked so hard to put in place can do nothing but follow the rules, hold their noses and nominate the piece of scum. We must fight him over every remaining step of the way! He must be stopped!

If this is the case and they have to vote for McAmnesty cause they are bound to him, I want every single RP supporter running as a McCain delegate to walk out of the building and NOT vote for McAmnesty.

burningfur
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Draft. See you boys in Iran.

nbhadja
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Draft. See you boys in Iran.

Some one will assassinate McCain before that happens :)

jakedaniel
02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Some one will assassinate McCain before that happens :)

Damn, It's been a while since I last looked in here. Things sure have gotten out of hand! So you disagree with McCain on a lot of things? So do I but talking about McCain being assassinated with a little smiley face at the end is going a little too far, don't you think? What would Dr. Paul think about that? Is that your idea of "revolution"? It sure as hell isn't anything I want to be involved with.

AJ Antimony
02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
This election is turning out to be the exact opposite of what history would predict. Going into this election, the nation HATES Bush and his Republicans thus anyone vaguely intelligent can tell you the Democrat candidate is expected to dominate in the general election. But what do we see? We see the Democrats more likely to have a brokered convention and the Republicans more likely to have an unquestionable candidate. This goes entirely goes against expectations. You'd expect the strong Democrats to have a stand out candidate and the Republicans to be in a world of hurt trying to find someone who could put up some sort of fight in November.

If I remember my facts correctly, the last time there was a brokered convention was 1952 when the Democrats just couldn't produce a candidate to put up a fight against the easy favorite Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Oddly this year the Democrats are struggling to find a definite candidate while the hated Republicans seem to have a conveyor belt of evil Presidents waiting for office. Go ahead and scratch your head.

nullvalu
02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran

The Beach Boys should sue him for that. :)

Join The Paul Side
02-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Oddly this year the Democrats are struggling to find a definite candidate while the hated Republicans seem to have a conveyor belt of evil Presidents waiting for office. Go ahead and scratch your head.

LOL. You sure got me scratchin'. :)

No1ButPaul08
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
theres no way he will win in the first round of voting. i would pretty much wager anything on that

Wow, pretty bold statement there. If you are serious, at intrade.com the odds of a brokered convention are about 5%. This means you will get paid $20 for every $1 you bet. I welcome you to place the bet, clean up, and donate the winnings to the cause of liberty. Otherwise, please don't make such ridiculous statements.

Ball
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
You don't want to know...

http://ocati.org/wuv.gif

ronpaulyourmom
02-20-2008, 06:02 PM

What are you talking about... he'll have 1200 delegates by March 4th even with 12 states left to go... This thing is OVER. Focus on raising funds for the congressional seat and supporting other Ron Paul Republicans for congress.

LukeNM
02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
What are you talking about... he'll have 1200 delegates by March 4th even with 12 states left to go... This thing is OVER. Focus on raising funds for the congressional seat and supporting other Ron Paul Republicans for congress.

He may have 1200 according to the old media -- but how many delegates actually vote for him at the convention may be a lesser number?

freelance
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
OK, so since there is a vote at the convention no matter what, then why doesn't the MSM get off this guys dick for a minute? It baffles me that they act like this is all locked up for Juan McCain. I saw Huck interviewed today on CNN and the dumb wench giving the interview asked him why he wouldn't drop out. Is the MSM affraid of what may happen at a brokered convention? Do they want Ron and Huck to drop out so their tool McCain can win unopposed? Thanks. :cool:

Look to your sigline for the answer to your question.

humanic
02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Is the MSM affraid of what may happen at a brokered convention? Do they want Ron and Huck to drop out so their tool McCain can win unopposed? Thanks.

Yes, and yes.

Yes.

mjp1025
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Thank goodness Rudy's not still in it.....he only needed 911 delegates!!!!

nate895
02-20-2008, 06:46 PM

Not possible, 295 delegates are at stake on the 4th, and he has around 900, he would have to win nearly all of them to get to 1200. Huckabee must win in Texas, and win a lot of districts in Ohio, it is the only way.

eok321
02-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Wow, pretty bold statement there. If you are serious, at intrade.com the odds of a brokered convention are about 5%. This means you will get paid $20 for every $1 you bet. I welcome you to place the bet, clean up, and donate the winnings to the cause of liberty. Otherwise, please don't make such ridiculous statements.

O.k since mccain is the nominee and less than 50% of republicans back him, would you say obama is a shoo in... i can get 5euro's for every 6 bet here in ireland and promise to donate any winnings to any cause associated with the ron paul movement because i freakin well love the man and what he stands for.

Now on the other hand i can get 4 for every 1 bet if i back the hillmeister.

Sorry but not too familiar with intrade, but lets make some money out of this and promote liberty.

And for anyone who jumps on this post saying im a troll for not thinking ron can win.........Im a believer! RPFTW all the way

freedominnumbers
02-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Interestingly the CT republican rules specify winner takes all bound delegates, but offer no consequence or what if for a delegate who doesn't follow the rules and votes for a different candidate anyways.

kyleAF
02-20-2008, 07:30 PM
A vote is cast regardless, and even if he gets to the "1191" magic number with pledged delegates, it won't necessarily matter.

Delegates are only pledged if they choose to be! (There's no law against voting the other way)

kirkblitz
02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
with his new scandal that number might not matter if he drops or is destroyed within his party by the time the vote happens.

280Z28
02-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Not even the bound delegates have to vote for a specific person in the first round.

ronpaulyourmom
02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Not possible, 295 delegates are at stake on the 4th, and he has around 900, he would have to win nearly all of them to get to 1200. Huckabee must win in Texas, and win a lot of districts in Ohio, it is the only way.

RCP says 960+ with 297 up for grabs between now and the 4th. Since the republican nomination process is essentially winner take all, I think it's very likely he'll get the 1191 by the 4th.

People can talk all they want about what'll happen at the convention, but whatever the technicalities may be I think in the end people will feel honor-bound to support the will of the voting public, even if it's for a scumbag like McCain. The idea that McCain will not win the GOP nomination one way or the other is quite beyond me at this point, sorry...

I think our efforts are better spent elsewhere. I'm sending $50 to every Ron Paul Republican I can find with my next paycheck.

nc4rp
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
i heard a bound delegate can vote against their state directive and vote how they want but their political career would be ruined. thats hearsay of course.

In NC the Electors would be fined $10,000 if they dont vote for the candidate they are supposed to.

nc4rp
02-20-2008, 08:02 PM
[quote=ronpaulyourmom;1290382]

The idea that McCain will not win the GOP nomination one way or the other is quite beyond me at this point

September is still quite aways away. alot could happen still. Like i always said. the corporate candidates will destroy themselves and ROn could be the last man standing and win by default. stranger things have happened.

I take it you havnt seen the Stephen Bradbury video?

keep an eye on the guy in last place... and notice they dont mention Bradbury's name through the whole race...until he passes the finish line in first place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg

!
!
!
!
!
:D

TastyWheat
02-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Bound delegates aren't really bound? Does anyone have a reference for this? Can a delegate be removed for not voting for his/her bound candidate?

gracebkr
02-20-2008, 09:00 PM
RCP says 960+ with 297 up for grabs between now and the 4th. Since the republican nomination process is essentially winner take all, I think it's very likely he'll get the 1191 by the 4th.

People can talk all they want about what'll happen at the convention, but whatever the technicalities may be I think in the end people will feel honor-bound to support the will of the voting public, even if it's for a scumbag like McCain. The idea that McCain will not win the GOP nomination one way or the other is quite beyond me at this point, sorry...

I think our efforts are better spent elsewhere. I'm sending $50 to every Ron Paul Republican I can find with my next paycheck.

We have to do what Lincoln did! We get tons of people to go to the national convention and just rally for Ron Paul. Tons of people, many many many people. That will be convincing to the people that don't want to sway when it seems maybe people have changed their minds and there is a very strong following.

SeanEdwards
02-20-2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg